Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rate the Thread!
This poll is closed.
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
7 100.00%
Total: 7 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Behold an entirely new dimension in sight and sound. 3-D!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Another notorious enemy is the powerful "Shadow Man", a tall, dark figure that would unexpectedly emerge from the ground, accompanied by an ominous tune. Fighting this monster at an early point of the game meant certain death, which may cause confusion among new players.

seriously, get this on an emulator so you can experience it in real time with the hosed up sound effects, it's a uniquely bizarre game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

seriously, get this on an emulator so you can experience it in real time with the hosed up sound effects, it's a uniquely bizarre game
I have a full set of all SNES roms on my Wii, I'll play some and report back.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

It was also released as Dragon View.

Dragon View is actually the sequel and it’s not nearly as lovely. Drakkhen is a truly insane game, I played a little bit at a friend’s house when I was a kid and had no idea what was going on. There was a speed run at RPG Limit Break a few years ago that’s pretty good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dragon View is actually the sequel and it’s not nearly as lovely. Drakkhen is a truly insane game, I played a little bit at a friend’s house when I was a kid and had no idea what was going on. There was a speed run at RPG Limit Break a few years ago that’s pretty good
Oh poo poo, really? I got that wrong lmao.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have a full set of all SNES roms on my Wii, I'll play some and report back.

you might not meet the darkman or w/e, I think there's a weird dungeon you have to get through first with this weird lizard who yells a bunch of puzzle stuff at you that leaves most people scratching their heads about what theyre suppsed to do

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's probably a Dostoevsky passage about a key by way of a Japanese translator or something

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

boy was I in for a let down when I rented this

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I owned and beat Drakkhen as a kid. If you wait at an inn through midnight you can avoid the extremely hosed up part where a constellation in the sky turns into a huge flying monster that shreds your party in no time. That game was terrifying and confusing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Some standout enemies are "enormous" and imposing such as the large, black, stationary canine heads that rise out of the ground and growls menacingly while shooting red energy bolts from its eyes in the event the player kicks the many urn-like markers found at some crossroads. These encounters are quickly fatal if the player's party does not run, or is not heavily armored.[4] They offer no experience points, suggesting that kicking an urn is frowned upon by the game. Another notorious enemy is the powerful "Shadow Man", a tall, dark figure that would unexpectedly emerge from the ground, accompanied by an ominous tune. Fighting this monster at an early point of the game meant certain death, which may cause confusion among new players.

Lol awesome. What was the other weird first person Japanese SNES RPG (it was NOT a saga game) that was a first person open world turn-based RPG where you could choose from one of 7 or 8 characters at the start? I remember emulating it when I was in middle school and it was pretty cool, you could either team up with or fight against the other characters you didn't choose from and I think if you dicked around too long they could complete the main quest before you did and you'd get a game over . It almost certainly has a hardcore gaming 101 article about it and the name has the number of characters in the game so it's like "6 crystals " or "7 ages" or something

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I think you're thinking of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_7th_Saga

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Lol awesome. What was the other weird first person Japanese SNES RPG (it was NOT a saga game) that was a first person open world turn-based RPG where you could choose from one of 7 or 8 characters at the start? I remember emulating it when I was in middle school and it was pretty cool, you could either team up with or fight against the other characters you didn't choose from and I think if you dicked around too long they could complete the main quest before you did and you'd get a game over . It almost certainly has a hardcore gaming 101 article about it and the name has the number of characters in the game so it's like "6 crystals " or "7 ages" or something

7th Saga. Also a weird game

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
*starts weeping uncontrollably*

I.... I had Drakkhen as a child

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That was it. Insanely weird game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This game's US localization made some minor tweaks to gameplay that buffs all the monsters which makes it super-hard to play for most of it, with a huge difficulty spike when you get to the point that one of the seven apprentices turns out to have betrayed you, but it gets almost impossible right at the end of the game, when you get the seven runes and the game reveals the twist. it's hard to beat even with an emulator, they broke it that badly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

7th Saga is actually playable. It's just weird and hard.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

dragon view has a glitch where if you don’t reset the game between the first boss and a late game event a memory address is set wrong and makes it attempt to run an event hundreds of times instead of one, usually crashing the game but extremely rarely going straight to the credits. speed runner PJ dedicated a week to attempting runs over and over until he got the credits glitch and the world record.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also: iirc, the game plot is that a king sends you to get the seven runes because he is old and dying, and he needs you to get them to defeat some bad guy. the twist is that when you get the seven runes, you get sent hundreds of years into the past and they take away all of the runes (which you learn to depend on for stuff like healing), and you try to beat the bad guy in the past, but only seal him away, then, after hundreds of years, you become the king from the beginning. that's the good ending.

it's a really good and interesting game with mechanical problems right up until you get the 7th rune.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

7th Saga is actually playable. It's just weird and hard.

it's super-not playable when you get to the end. the localization team totally hosed up and basically just stuck a multiplier in all of the game's numbers.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

i had no idea kratos was in mk

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao. vader, yoda and starkiller in SC was already posted here right

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like, i beat both Drakhen and SNES Jurassic Park, but i lost patience with 7th Saga. my brother got so into it that he briefly joined SA as Doros (there's a town where everyone says "Hail Doros!"), but like, in what should be the last 5% of the game, the need to grind increases so exponentially that he hacked the ROM to level his characters so that he could see the ending.

Seventh Saga is like in the Illusion of Gaia sphere of weird and awesome SNES RPGs, you just unfortunately can't be expected to finish it.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

elf help book posted:

i had no idea kratos was in mk

PS3 only

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i love this terrible game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

virtual hydlide goes beyond 'fake game in tv show' into like 'fake game space ghost would be playing'

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have played the beginning multiple times and really love the insane look and clearly ambitious design, yeah.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

virtual hydlide goes beyond 'fake game in tv show' into like 'fake game space ghost would be playing'

Lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just watched the RPG Limit Break run of this today. It looks completely insane

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

Lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xavier Renegade Angel booting up Virtual Hydlide on his Sega Saturn in 2018.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

Lmao good god

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

elf help book posted:

Lmfao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

elf help book posted:

lmfao

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

7th Saga was cool but pissed me off really bad

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Original-flavor Hydlide was also pretty weird IIRC.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

that's not Kratos, the God of War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

lol