Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MediaPad*!

*Does not play media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How is it even possible that a modern tablet can't stream HD content? That's loving weird :psyduck:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

MediaPad*!

*Does not play media

Apparently as we are writing this it does? Cannot confirm since I don't use netflix or Amazon video but most recent comments says the latest emui update fixed it.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 14, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Guillermus posted:

How is it even possible that a modern tablet can't stream HD content? That's loving weird :psyduck:

OnePlus recently launched phones with the same issue and you even had to send them in to get them to fix it.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Apparently as we are writing this it does? Cannot confirm since I don't use netflix or Amazon video but most recent comments says the latest emui update fixed it.

Where are you seeing that? There's a thread on XDA that talks about it and some people have seen L1 after an update, but even then a lot couldn't get Netflix to play in HD and virtually no one said they could get Amazon Prime to play in HD.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 14, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

OnePlus recently launched phones with the same issue and you even had to send them in to get them to fix it.

Never Settle!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Where are you seeing that?

Amazon.fr reviews from purchasers. Comments started to say the update fixed the netflix issue around March/April

I don't think Amazon prime is popular in France though.

Maybe the EU mediapads are different, or maybe some people rooted their tablet and can't benefit from the update? I don't know

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 14, 2018

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Guillermus posted:

Its a software thing. And the vendor has to be willing to pay to include it in their build. Or, in the case of one plus, not be loving stupid and make it work right from the get go.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think sometimes I underestimate how dumb/awful can be companies with stuff like HD streaming on TYOOL 2018.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Apparently consumers don't care about Oneplus' failings since they've sold a million OP6s already.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Budgie posted:

Apparently consumers don't care about Oneplus' failings since they've sold a million OP6s already.

Honestly, from what I've seen in my family and most people in my close circle of friends...people don't give two shits about their phones.

In my experience, people don't care about OS or security updates, Samsung's "everything and the kitchen sink" approach, wireless charging, glass backs, SD cards, headphone jacks, USB-C, water resistance/proofing, notches, "chins", Full HD or 2K displays (or even if the screen has a crack in it), or even the best camera.

I've seen people in my family use sub $100 LG/Samsung/Blu/HTC/ZTE or iPhones from 4 or 5 years ago. My roommate uses a ZTE phone that hasn't gotten a security or OS update for about 2..3 years now? It wasn't getting them when he bought it new for $230.

They do care about price, whether it makes phone calls, whether you can "download music", text, play games that are possibly spying for cryptocurrency, and if it can go on Facebook and Twitter. My roommate said his $230 phone was "too much" for a phone but he's happy with it. My mother wanted a $36 LG Tribute HD. Many family members have two phones, one being a super out of date iPhone and then a sub $60 Android phone...both may have cracked screens.

They just don't care. That's why OnePlus wins...cause people probably don't know and don't care.

On the other hand, I had to talk my best friend into buying a Pixel 1 XL from Swappa when the 2s hit because he couldn't use his Galaxy S 5 anymore...but refused to update his phone, my SO has the Galaxy S9 since that's what Verizon told him is the best phone in the entire world and forced him to buy ALL of the accessories, another friend of mine bought the Essential Phone when it was new, and I had the Pixel 2 (non XL) for a while.

I'm considered the high-maintenance of the group because I had a Pixel 2 and I'm saving for a Pixel 3 XL.

This post is long but...I just think people don't care and are supremely cheap for the most part. Even when I did work for HSN, it was like pulling teeth to get people to not buy a terribly out of date Samsung phone or a bendable iPhone 6/S (I can't remember which one bent...) or to not go for the iPad that wasn't 1st gen...when the 3rd gen was out and wasn't THAT much more expensive.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ThermoPhysical posted:

Honestly, from what I've seen in my family and most people in my close circle of friends...people don't give two shits about their phones.

In my experience, people don't care about OS or security updates, Samsung's "everything and the kitchen sink" approach, wireless charging, glass backs, SD cards, headphone jacks, USB-C, water resistance/proofing, notches, "chins", Full HD or 2K displays (or even if the screen has a crack in it), or even the best camera.

I've seen people in my family use sub $100 LG/Samsung/Blu/HTC/ZTE or iPhones from 4 or 5 years ago. My roommate uses a ZTE phone that hasn't gotten a security or OS update for about 2..3 years now? It wasn't getting them when he bought it new for $230.

They do care about price, whether it makes phone calls, whether you can "download music", text, play games that are possibly spying for cryptocurrency, and if it can go on Facebook and Twitter. My roommate said his $230 phone was "too much" for a phone but he's happy with it. My mother wanted a $36 LG Tribute HD. Many family members have two phones, one being a super out of date iPhone and then a sub $60 Android phone...both may have cracked screens.

They just don't care. That's why OnePlus wins...cause people probably don't know and don't care.

On the other hand, I had to talk my best friend into buying a Pixel 1 XL from Swappa when the 2s hit because he couldn't use his Galaxy S 5 anymore...but refused to update his phone, my SO has the Galaxy S9 since that's what Verizon told him is the best phone in the entire world and forced him to buy ALL of the accessories, another friend of mine bought the Essential Phone when it was new, and I had the Pixel 2 (non XL) for a while.

I'm considered the high-maintenance of the group because I had a Pixel 2 and I'm saving for a Pixel 3 XL.

This post is long but...I just think people don't care and are supremely cheap for the most part. Even when I did work for HSN, it was like pulling teeth to get people to not buy a terribly out of date Samsung phone or a bendable iPhone 6/S (I can't remember which one bent...) or to not go for the iPad that wasn't 1st gen...when the 3rd gen was out and wasn't THAT much more expensive.

yeah

Except there's the narrow subgroup of people who are enough into phones to know what OnePlus is and yet don't know enough about phones to know why they continue to be a garbage fire.

Like 99% of people are like you describe.

.7% are "phone enthusiasts" who know that companies like OnePlus exist but dont know enough to avoid them.

.3% know enough are most of the denizens of this thread.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Welp. The charging port on my N7-13 died. Looks like I'll be getting one of those new Huawei MediaPads. Probably go for the 10". Of course, it's probably not going to happen until around September, so that should be plenty of time to see if they're worth it.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Kheldarn posted:

Welp. The charging port on my N7-13 died. Looks like I'll be getting one of those new Huawei MediaPads. Probably go for the 10". Of course, it's probably not going to happen until around September, so that should be plenty of time to see if they're worth it.

Just get a Qi charging base and charge wirelessly.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

clockworx posted:

Just get a Qi charging base and charge wirelessly.

I forgot that this tablet does that. Thanks!

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Ha, for some reason when I posted that I thought I was in the Android phone thread not this one.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I still have a Tab S(1). Love that drat 10.5" OLED screen a lot. It's been regulated to bedroom/shitter duty and yet gets used at least once a day. The whole android doesn't have tablet optimized apps doesn't matter to me, I watch movies and read web stuff on it and it works perfectly. I sure hope Samsung doesn't give up on the tab market like google has done. :(

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Added myself to the friend list, all my dudes are like mid tier level because I haven't been able to grind exp or gems, carry me through these raids with your supports. I really want wavers with hot springs

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

redeyes posted:

Man, I still have a Tab S(1). Love that drat 10.5" OLED screen a lot. It's been regulated to bedroom/shitter duty and yet gets used at least once a day. The whole android doesn't have tablet optimized apps doesn't matter to me, I watch movies and read web stuff on it and it works perfectly. I sure hope Samsung doesn't give up on the tab market like google has done. :(

God YES, Samsung please send me a Valentine of even better specs on the rumored Tab S4 10.5" comeptitively priced against the MediaPad. I'm still enoying my Tab S1 10.5" but its battery is getting weak to the point I'd like something more reliable. Dropping 10-40% overnight while in airplane mode... is not great, and reviews of Huawei's MediaPad agree the battery is fantastic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Added myself to the friend list, all my dudes are like mid tier level because I haven't been able to grind exp or gems, carry me through these raids with your supports. I really want wavers with hot springs

Same, OP

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spent like an hour looking for the thread I posted that incorrectly to edit it out before I gave up :negative:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Space Fish posted:

God YES, Samsung please send me a Valentine of even better specs on the rumored Tab S4 10.5" comeptitively priced against the MediaPad. I'm still enoying my Tab S1 10.5" but its battery is getting weak to the point I'd like something more reliable. Dropping 10-40% overnight while in airplane mode... is not great, and reviews of Huawei's MediaPad agree the battery is fantastic.

Something is wrong with yours. I get 30 days standby time on mine easily. Granted when the screen is on you get maybe 4-5 hours at best but standby time is insane.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Does anybody with a Fire HD 10 have any recommendations to squeeze as much life out of that paltry 2GB of RAM as I can? Is running Greenify still the way to go as was the case when I last had a rooted Android device back in like, 2012?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

redeyes posted:

Something is wrong with yours. I get 30 days standby time on mine easily. Granted when the screen is on you get maybe 4-5 hours at best but standby time is insane.

How fast does yours charge? Mine takes multiple hours, part of why I want to bump up to usb-c (plus my phone uses c now).

Plus I've got the 16GB model and I can only put so much on the microsd. Wanna jump to more memory + faster charging already. It's been four years!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Space Fish posted:

How fast does yours charge? Mine takes multiple hours, part of why I want to bump up to usb-c (plus my phone uses c now).

Plus I've got the 16GB model and I can only put so much on the microsd. Wanna jump to more memory + faster charging already. It's been four years!

4 hours or so I think. Its way long and one of the reasons I want something with fast charge.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Anrdoid Police put up their review of the Huwei MediaPad M5 tablets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Now that HD Netflix and Amazon is sorted on the 8.4", I'm really tempted to buy one to replace my Nexus 7 and Tab S3.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What is your gripe with the Tab S3?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moey posted:

What is your gripe with the Tab S3?

Too big honestly. If I want to do big tablet things I'll use my Pixelbook. Performance also isn't as smooth as a SD820 should be and it voraciously eats battery on standby.

I originally had a Tab S2 8.0 that I returned and bought the S3 because of a deal at the time, but I honestly regret that now. I want a device that I only need to hold with one hand.

They also used a landscape display in a portrait device so you get the dreaded screen jelly/tearing while scrolling in portrait which is the main orientation of the thing. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Interesting. I was holding out for the Tab S4, wondering if I should give one of those MediaPads a rip.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, the Tab S4 was announced today and is available next week so you should be able to check one out in best buy soon. $649 is really steep though.

I guess the other thing pushing me away from the Tab S3 is use case. It actually could be a really productive compact device with the keyboard cover and Bluetooth mouse, but there's nothing that I'm doing personally that uses all that functionality. I want a larger screen couch browsing device for when I don't want to have my Pixelbook on my lap and I want something a bit more premium and stock android than a Fire tablet.

I was hoping Samsung was going to release a refreshed 8" Tab A with like a SD710 in it with a 1920x1200 screen, but that didn't happen. Instead there's just a 10.5" with a SD450.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Man I was waiting on a new Nexus 7 for so long, but then this last Prime day I just decided to bite the bullet and pick up an Amazon Fire HD8 for $50. Can't argue with that price.

Honestly I think I'm content. My main gripe is the screen is lovely, but it does basically everything that I'm looking for in a tablet. I really don't need to be spending a few hundred extra dollars for more bells and whistles at this point. My phone can be my main powerhouse portable machine, and I can just use my tablet for content consumption.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

arisu posted:

Man I was waiting on a new Nexus 7 for so long, but then this last Prime day I just decided to bite the bullet and pick up an Amazon Fire HD8 for $50. Can't argue with that price.

Honestly I think I'm content. My main gripe is the screen is lovely, but it does basically everything that I'm looking for in a tablet. I really don't need to be spending a few hundred extra dollars for more bells and whistles at this point. My phone can be my main powerhouse portable machine, and I can just use my tablet for content consumption.

Yeah, I'm not sure anything priced between a Fire and an entry model iPad (especially Apple refurb or edu discount) makes sense. If you just want a cheap couch tablet, the Fire is probably good enough for dirt cheap, and if you want an actual nice tablet (and 10" is ok), there's nothing that beats a new iPad for $300ish.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I really miss my Note 10.1 2014 Edition. That was a great device.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

arisu posted:

I did the same. I used to think that a big phone was enough, but the extra size on the Fire HD8 is nice. Kinda wish it was 1080p, but it's fine.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Was also waiting to see how the Galaxy S4 would turn out, but... $650 + $150 for the keyboard cover... $850 (with tax) compared to roughly half the cost for similar performance out of a MediaPad 10.8? No contest.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5" announced with 1200p display and Android 8.1 Oreo. No price listed yet, but AP expects it to be cheaper than the Tab S4.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

With a SD450, it better be. Too bad they didn't release a smaller version of it with the same resolution, might have been a pretty nice device for $200 or so.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm weak and I caved and I bought the Mediapad M5 8.4 earlier in the week and I got it on Friday.

I actually really really like it. The size is just about perfect, the screen is gorgeous (no light bleed, vignetting, or uniformity issues and it's very accurate), it's fast as hell, EMUI gets out of the way enough that it's not an issue, the speakers are great, the fingerprint sensor is the fastest I've ever used. It even has a notification LED!

It only lost 1% on standby over the night, but it still had notifications ready and waiting so it wasn't a brick during that time. It also woke up instantly after being off for that long, my Tab S3 comes out of long sleep like a grumpy teenager and you have to wait a good 20 seconds before it starts responding smoothly again.

I had no issue playing Netflix or Prime in 1080p, so the latest update (which it came from the factory with) seems to have done the trick as far as that goes.

The only real cons are less than perfect black levels due to it being an LCD rather than OLED. They are really good black levels for an LCD, just not perfect black, so you probably won't notice unless you are in a pitch black room. Also, it doesn't have a headphone jack (includes USB-C to 3.5mm dongle.)

So, I feel like this is the true successor to the Nexus 7 that I've been waiting for. The price is about the same as a 32gb N7 2013 adjusted for inflation too (and this has far better specs, the Kirin 960 easily keeps up with or beats the SD821).

Now, I don't have much faith that the thing will get much update love from Huawei. I honestly don't even expect to get P and well be pleasantly surprised if it does. However, it's good enough in the current form that I'm not really wanting for anything.

So, hopefully this lasts as long as my N7 has and we'll see what the 8" tablet space looks like in 2022.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I've been really hooked on the idea of a nice keyboard case that doesn't need Bluetooth, so I was really steering towards Samsung. I don't like how they keep getting bigger. I feel 9" is enough screen size. I still like my tab s 8.4

Edit: I am also pissed no tablets use the case mounting buttons like the tab s 8.4 does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

MediaPad M5 owners, especially 10.8:
Is the "Bluetooth slows wifi to a crawl" an issue for you?