Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I just came back and I've got a free respec.

I'm a level 17 Dark Elf Nightblade Vampire.

What's a quick down and dirty build my scrub rear end can use to effectively level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Snowy posted:

I’m off in the woods for a few days which is great but if I miss those 5 crates from the daily rewards I’m never going out in nature again.

Playing ESO is kind of like going outside. The landscapes are very nice.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Mr Scumbag posted:

I just came back and I've got a free respec.

I'm a level 17 Dark Elf Nightblade Vampire.

What's a quick down and dirty build my scrub rear end can use to effectively level?

Put everything in mag. Wear 5 light at least, all with mag on it. Use an inferno staff on front bar, and either lightning or resto back.

Morph funnel health, as that's your main weave, and go kill everything while you heal yourself and others with BLOOD MAGIC.

Post your @account name and we'll invite you to goon guild and I'll make you things.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Aramek posted:

Put everything in mag. Wear 5 light at least, all with mag on it. Use an inferno staff on front bar, and either lightning or resto back.

Morph funnel health, as that's your main weave, and go kill everything while you heal yourself and others with BLOOD MAGIC.

Post your @account name and we'll invite you to goon guild and I'll make you things.

Thanks, I'm already in the guild as @Mr_Scumbag. I noticed you mentioned staves as both weapons even though I'm a Nightblade... Are optimal builds really that far removed from class archetypes? If so I still kinda want to stick the the assassin motif with daggers as primary and bow as ranged even if I take a hit to efficiency/effectiveness. Unless the alternative will level me MUCH quicker...

Happy and grateful to accept any help/gear you're willing to offer, to that end, so thanks in advance!

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Rollersnake posted:

I tend to use Assassin's League (exactly what you used there), Akaviri, and Dwemer shoulders for this reason. They go down the arm and don't stick out super far, so they're easier to integrate into costumes that shouldn't have shoulder pads. There's also some epaulets like Breton, Glass, Trinimac, and Xivkyn that aren't shoulder armor at all. The limitations are frustrating, but I've still been able to make a lot of decent looking stuff working within them.

Not the best screenshots for showing off the shoulders, but I'm at work, and these are all I posted previously in the thread. Xivkyn epaulets in the first, Breton in the second.

The Abah's motif light shoulders are pretty good too if you want something minimalist. On a couple of my rogue-ish costumes I also use the Trinimac light and Yokudan light ones. Yokudan medium chest and legs with the light shoulders actually looks pretty badass.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks, I'm already in the guild as @Mr_Scumbag. I noticed you mentioned staves as both weapons even though I'm a Nightblade... Are optimal builds really that far removed from class archetypes? If so I still kinda want to stick the the assassin motif with daggers as primary and bow as ranged even if I take a hit to efficiency/effectiveness. Unless the alternative will level me MUCH quicker...

Happy and grateful to accept any help/gear you're willing to offer, to that end, so thanks in advance!

He was assuming you were going magicka Nightblade methinks. If you prefer the dual wield/bow route, put everything into stamina, wear primarily medium armor. Buzzsaw your way through the game.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Every class can be either a stamina or a magic version.

Dunmer, racially, have all bonuses to magic and none to stamina, so I assumed you were gonna be casty.

You can still totally be stabby. In which case, everything in Stam, wear at least 5 medium, use two daggers, and a bow on your back.

Morph flurry to Bloodthirst, and the bleed to the morph that heals you.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
They get a 6% stamina bonus, but that's about it. They absolutely do shine more so in a magicka setup. My main (stamblade) was a dark elf originally, but I went Redguard after a while because the sustain was like night and day.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

my stamDK is dunmer and it's fine

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Minor nitpick, but something that wasn't clear to me in the original post is that DLC and expansions are two different things, and that ESO Plus doesn't cover expansions. Not a big deal, but I did spend a whole $15 on my old ESO account thinking it would get me Summerset.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If you wait a year for the new expansion you'll be able to get Summerset included in Plus :mmmhmm:

The OP was written way before Morrowind and Chapters were a thing and I haven't bothered to update it beyond adding the Goon Discord info.

Herpes
Jul 17, 2001

The Ultimate Showdown
So I played WoW for 10 years. My main was Rogue/Warlock. Looking at either a Stam Sorcerer or a Magicka Nightblade.

If the game hooks me enough I'll be doing far more Pve, mostly solo(until endgame) as I have a crazy schedule, than Pvp, any suggestions on what I should start with?

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Stamsorc is really fun. I've no experience with magblades other than people saying they're hard to level as your first class.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Herpes posted:

So I played WoW for 10 years. My main was Rogue/Warlock. Looking at either a Stam Sorcerer or a Magicka Nightblade.

If the game hooks me enough I'll be doing far more Pve, mostly solo(until endgame) as I have a crazy schedule, than Pvp, any suggestions on what I should start with?

Magblade is insanely fun and is probably one of the best classes to solo with because it does good dps and self heals at the same time

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

A nightblade is basically a rogue and a warlock so yeah make a nightblade

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

stamsorc best class hth

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

MF_James posted:

stamsorc best class hth

Also the second most boring, after pet Sorc :eng101:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I made a magic dragon-whatever and I like it a lot so far but I'm only like level 21. Im not sure what weapons and armour setup I should have but I've been running with a 2 hand sword and fire (destruction?) staff and mostly heavy armour (and 1 of light and medium)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bonfire Lit posted:

Stamsorc is really fun. I've no experience with magblades other than people saying they're hard to level as your first class.

Is there a consensus for something that's easy to level as a first class?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Magplar or Stamsorc imo.

Both are extremely easy with magplar being the easier, both fun, both extremely extremely good at making you feel like you can easily solo the world.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've tried just about everything at this point and found petsorc and magplar to be particularly straightforward. Also magplar is actually fun.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Coldforge posted:

Also the second most boring, after pet Sorc :eng101:

Hey now! :(

Yeah, I'm only level 10 or so and it's not super engaging.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I've been leveling basically Fire Mage Templar and it's fun and good. Has a some neat spells that do stuff beyond just "does some single target/aoe/damage over time" like the one that absorbs and then releases a bunch of damage, the one that damages enemies every time they attack and then explodes, and the death beam that ramps up as enemy HP drops. Also mixes well thematically with fire staff spells, meteor, etc. You can easily switch over to magic spear attacks if you feel like stabbing things.

Also you get a single target heal that instantly heals 80% of your HP lol

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Inzombiac posted:

Hey now! :(

Yeah, I'm only level 10 or so and it's not super engaging.

Stamsorc doesn't really get going until you have Surge. Essentially you're a super stabby berserker that's aiming to have as high a crit % as possible, who hits as many times as possible, and stays alive by healing from crits. I think stamsorc is a really neat build, even if it ultimately wasn't my thing.

Ranged DPS is just more fun, IMO. The only thing I think I might end up liking more than mag dk and magsorc is bow warden. Finally I'll be able to dodge-roll to my heart's content.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 15, 2018

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Stamsorc is slow to start, but once you master it you're essentially a supersonic avatar of death and destruction.

Blatantly plugging my lovely comp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snUEEJmJoHU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rollersnake posted:

Stamsorc doesn't really get going until you have Surge. Essentially you're a super stabby berserker that's aiming to have as high a crit % as possible, who hits as many times as possible, and stays alive by healing from crits. I think stamsorc is a really neat build, even if it ultimately wasn't my thing.

Ranged DPS is just more fun, IMO. The only thing I think I might end up liking more than mag dk and magsorc is bow warden. Finally I'll be able to dodge-roll to my heart's content.

Good to know but I'm playing Pet Sorc.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Does the magicka morph of imbue weapon work with overload?

Dunno if it would even be good to weave in or not :v:

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
I'm coming back to play ESO and explore what all has changed in the past couple of years. Requesting a goonvite for @corzen

And, are the add-ons listed in the OP still up to date and relevant?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Switched to the heavy Assassin shoulders, and I'm mostly happy with it. A bit too shiny, but it doesn't make me want to scream any more.

And a new one, while I'm here:

Herpes
Jul 17, 2001

The Ultimate Showdown
I went Stam Sorc to start. Thanks for the advice.

Id like to get an invite if possible. @Semisweep

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Just recently started this game, I would also like an invite as well: @galaxyw

Currently playing as Magicka pet sorc, as I have been told this is one of the more newbie friendly class.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I fooled around with the Nvidia Freestyle beta which allows you to apply filters and change various visual settings with a pop-up menu during gameplay. Holy poo poo does this game look way better now. At least on my monitor everything looked very washed out and low contrast but after bumping the vibrancy everything pops and looks nice without being oversaturated.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I fooled around with the Nvidia Freestyle beta which allows you to apply filters and change various visual settings with a pop-up menu during gameplay. Holy poo poo does this game look way better now. At least on my monitor everything looked very washed out and low contrast but after bumping the vibrancy everything pops and looks nice without being oversaturated.

You can also change SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS to -3 in \Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt to get much sharper textures. Remember to make it read-only.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

You can also change SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS to -3 in \Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt to get much sharper textures. Remember to make it read-only.

I don't think you have to do the read-only thing anymore. They seemed to have fixed it so the game doesn't wipe your settings on load. I had to uncheck read-only when Summerset came out, to let it update some ini settings, and I left it unchecked... and it never wiped that setting. Been playing for weeks without setting it to read-only and it's still sitting at -3.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Does the summerset upgrade come with morrowind? dont want to waste any money.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I don't think you have to do the read-only thing anymore. They seemed to have fixed it so the game doesn't wipe your settings on load. I had to uncheck read-only when Summerset came out, to let it update some ini settings, and I left it unchecked... and it never wiped that setting. Been playing for weeks without setting it to read-only and it's still sitting at -3.

I didn't before a forced reformat, I do now :shrug:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

For people who are relatively new to this game, if you like making tons of alts like I do, I want to give some quick advice that I wish I had known from day one:

#1: Always log out next to a stabelemaster. Log on every character every day to train riding.

Even if you have way too many characters, it only takes a few minutes. Even if you're not really actively playing every day it's good to make a habit of it. I've just made it part of my daily routine before work... make coffee, check email, log on ESO and train riding... It's especially nice for alts I don't play much, because when I get around to eventually doing stuff with them, their skills aren't garbage. I'm a really casual player but I have some of my characters fully trained now.

My strategy is to max speed first, then put maybe 20 points in stamina just to keep random dudes from knocking you off your horse, then max out capacity (which is way more useful really), then you go back to working on stamina cause you might as well finish it up.

#2: Get the Lazy Writ Crafter add-on (DO NOT sleep on this, or you will feel like SUCH AN IDIOT later), do crafting certification immediately on every new character, and do daily crafting writs early and often.

It took me forever to figure this out, but it is insanely useful. Why? Because even at really low levels with NO skill points in any crafting skills, you get about 2,000 gold per character per day for doing the 6 basic dailies. 2,000 gold can buy you over a week's worth of mount training, so if you do the dailies about once a week on each alt, you can fund their mount training forever even if you never log on them for anything else. Do it two or three times a week and they'll have some pocket money too.

With that add-on you can sleepwalk through all the dailies in about two minutes. (Vivec City is still the most convenient spot I think.) You also get fat bundles of crafting materials with each daily turn-in, so it's mostly self-sustaining. The "survey" maps you sometimes get as random rewards will give you materials by the hundreds if you bother to do them. (It does kinda take an initial investment in a decent stash of low-level materials, just so you're not constantly running out in the beginning.)

As a bonus, you also get XP, crafting skill-ups, and intricate gear to deconstruct out of this deal... That's not really the point though. It's good to have one main crafting character who you actually invest skill points in, but all your alts can be sending your crafter piles of intricate gear to skill up faster.

I have like 12 characters at this point. In terms of actually questing and stuff I usually focus on just one for days, weeks at a time... but my alts don't just sit on their asses, they are getting money, getting skills, and getting prepped for the spotlight. I've got multiple characters sitting at like level 10 with riding speed and capacity maxed, and I didn't have to blow a bunch of money in the crown store to get them there. It's just a couple minutes out of my day to keep that gravy train rolling.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nerd Of Prey posted:

For people who are relatively new to this game, if you like making tons of alts like I do, I want to give some quick advice that I wish I had known from day one:

#1: Always log out next to a stabelemaster. Log on every character every day to train riding.

Even if you have way too many characters, it only takes a few minutes. Even if you're not really actively playing every day it's good to make a habit of it. I've just made it part of my daily routine before work... make coffee, check email, log on ESO and train riding... It's especially nice for alts I don't play much, because when I get around to eventually doing stuff with them, their skills aren't garbage. I'm a really casual player but I have some of my characters fully trained now.

My strategy is to max speed first, then put maybe 20 points in stamina just to keep random dudes from knocking you off your horse, then max out capacity (which is way more useful really), then you go back to working on stamina cause you might as well finish it up.

#2: Get the Lazy Writ Crafter add-on (DO NOT sleep on this, or you will feel like SUCH AN IDIOT later), do crafting certification immediately on every new character, and do daily crafting writs early and often.

It took me forever to figure this out, but it is insanely useful. Why? Because even at really low levels with NO skill points in any crafting skills, you get about 2,000 gold per character per day for doing the 6 basic dailies. 2,000 gold can buy you over a week's worth of mount training, so if you do the dailies about once a week on each alt, you can fund their mount training forever even if you never log on them for anything else. Do it two or three times a week and they'll have some pocket money too.

With that add-on you can sleepwalk through all the dailies in about two minutes. (Vivec City is still the most convenient spot I think.) You also get fat bundles of crafting materials with each daily turn-in, so it's mostly self-sustaining. The "survey" maps you sometimes get as random rewards will give you materials by the hundreds if you bother to do them. (It does kinda take an initial investment in a decent stash of low-level materials, just so you're not constantly running out in the beginning.)

As a bonus, you also get XP, crafting skill-ups, and intricate gear to deconstruct out of this deal... That's not really the point though. It's good to have one main crafting character who you actually invest skill points in, but all your alts can be sending your crafter piles of intricate gear to skill up faster.

I have like 12 characters at this point. In terms of actually questing and stuff I usually focus on just one for days, weeks at a time... but my alts don't just sit on their asses, they are getting money, getting skills, and getting prepped for the spotlight. I've got multiple characters sitting at like level 10 with riding speed and capacity maxed, and I didn't have to blow a bunch of money in the crown store to get them there. It's just a couple minutes out of my day to keep that gravy train rolling.

A good post

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Mods, please change this goon’s name to King/Queen Nerd of Prey, for they are posting royalty. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Griefing exists in this game and it is GLORIOUS

I took screenshots of AD zone chat freaking out and I'll post once I paste them all together.