Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zarick posted:

There's no way to check it out, as far as I can tell. There's pretty much zero information available after the Kickstarter started because all of the updates after it completed were backers only, with no information about any other kind of release. Pretty disappointing because it sounded cool.

I got a response back btw, here's what they say:

quote:

@Kai We're just making sure the majority of backers receive their PDFs before we go public with the digital game and we're reaching that point with the open rate on the emails that went out. The store is currently being setup. So very soon :) Definitely appreciate you trying to spread the word and very grateful for the interest.

@Bruno Definitely want a sampler out. We used to have a 40+ page sampler but we've updated the game and the look of the book so much we're in the process of putting something new together. Ideally this will be available when the PDF goes public.

No real timeline besides "very soon" though so could be a week, could be a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Very Soon™: some time between now and the heat death of the universe, erring slightly towards the former.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Maybe take a look at Everyone is John?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The constructive effects are there, they're just less visible than the ten rereg folks because they manifest as bad posts that don't get made. There's no reason not to post whatever dumb thing you want at rpg.net or any other free forum because there are no real consequences. Knowing that something costs $10 to say prevents most people from saying it and I think that's the best you could hope for.

I think my problem is that it's simultaneously meant to be a deterrent but also one of the main ways the forums are meant to make a profit? Which frankly leads to all sorts of problems.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kai Tave posted:

I got a response back btw, here's what they say:

No real timeline besides "very soon" though so could be a week, could be a month.

Yes, but will it be sooner than Far West? That's the real humdinger.

Hey Vox...

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So I recently read the news where George Lucas reveals how he would have made Star Wars Ep 7 to 9 if he still retained the rights in an interview with James Cameron.

And it gave me a weird idea for a beer and pretzels game.

The PCs would be midichlorian-Whills inhabiting Anakin Skywalker's body, fighting against rival micro-organisms aligned with the Dark Side pushing his destiny towards that of becoming Darth Vader. And instead of starship combat you'd be piloting Jedi and force-sensitive beings to fight each other.

Anakin flipping out about how he thinks Obi-Wan is jealous of his power? That's the dark side germs triggering his anger hormones. His redemption as Darth Vader when he throws Palpatine to his death? Those are the Light Side germs taking back control.

I don't know what system I'd use with this. Probably Powered by the Apocalypse or something very rules-lite.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Libertad! posted:

So I recently read the news where George Lucas reveals how he would have made Star Wars Ep 7 to 9 if he still retained the rights in an interview with James Cameron.

And it gave me a weird idea for a beer and pretzels game.

The PCs would be midichlorian-Whills inhabiting Anakin Skywalker's body, fighting against rival micro-organisms aligned with the Dark Side pushing his destiny towards that of becoming Darth Vader. And instead of starship combat you'd be piloting Jedi and force-sensitive beings to fight each other.

Anakin flipping out about how he thinks Obi-Wan is jealous of his power? That's the dark side germs triggering his anger hormones. His redemption as Darth Vader when he throws Palpatine to his death? Those are the Light Side germs taking back control.

I don't know what system I'd use with this. Probably Powered by the Apocalypse or something very rules-lite.

This sounds like a very extensive Everyone Is John hack.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for a good tabletop rpg-ish system to run games that are effectively slasher horror movies. Doesn't need to be particularly system-heavy, I'm mostly looking for something with a little bit of structure and guidance for players to make decent characters, and something to help structure some storytelling, though it would be nice if it had at least some randomization and character specialization. So far I've been planning to use Dread, which I think would work just fine, but any other options I should check out?

Basically my group said they want to do Until Dawn: the TRPG so anything that would facilitate that style of game well would be great.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I ran The Final Girl recently and it's very much a slasher game. There's not much character building but it was good fun.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Dread does slasher pretty well. If you want a more comedic take you could grab a copy of Horror Rules.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for a good tabletop rpg-ish system to run games that are effectively slasher horror movies. Doesn't need to be particularly system-heavy, I'm mostly looking for something with a little bit of structure and guidance for players to make decent characters, and something to help structure some storytelling, though it would be nice if it had at least some randomization and character specialization. So far I've been planning to use Dread, which I think would work just fine, but any other options I should check out?

Basically my group said they want to do Until Dawn: the TRPG so anything that would facilitate that style of game well would be great.

Slasher Flick, which is particularly interesting because people play multiple characters and can pass on meta resources to other characters if they die.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

seconding Slasher Flick as tailor made for this

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

MockingQuantum posted:

There's also the creatively titled Slasher RPG on Fate.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There was this one PbtA hack about slasher games.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZgPiDDddLl-BLd6HWG9lD1PrB7WyuEnV431dny4vTzc/edit

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well now, this is quite a variation on "original character, do not steal"

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8rencu/batshit_dnd_dm_is_threatening_legal_action_for

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/8rencu/batshit_dnd_dm_is_threatening_legal_action_for

At first I thought he was just going to be mad about it but then he actually hurried to the convention and :captainpop:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 16, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If there are any goons at Origins who want to meet up, I've got a free day today, so just drop a line via here or PM or Discord or whatever.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dwarf74 posted:

This is the craziest thing I've heard of elfgame related.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol the lawyer is the guy's older brother, time to google the firm and call one of the partners and ask them if they know about him using their letterhead

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, that might be the funniest way this shakes out.

I recall a while ago that someone shared a webapp that would generate cool fantasy-looking handouts given a Markdown document. What was that again?

EDIT: Found it, thanks Syndlig!

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 16, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If there are any goons at Origins who want to meet up, I've got a free day today, so just drop a line via here or PM or Discord or whatever.

Me, you, Panzeh, and two other people in the main boardgames thread will all perpetually wander around like ships in the fog

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A while back someone mentioned they wanted to play a twilight imperium game where you don't have complete control of you empire, like ornery factions and stuff. If you are this goon, this is not what you were asking about but might be something you'd enjoy:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199904/pericles-peloponnesian-wars

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost is up for The Next Project!

Today's blog is … well, still about design -- specifically, character-building -- but in more of a narrative sense, than a mechanical one.
Have a read, and let me know what you think.

Also, check out the ongoing playtest right here on the forums, and join the TNP Discord, if you wanna be a part of the discussion.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Anyone here who is good at math and making images want to help me out here with this;

Basic idea is that you take a 6 sided die then divide it into it's six sides and lay them out flat in a 3x4 grid with all six sides in contact with at least one other side, the source for this claims there's 30 possible combinations that could be done for this, I want to know if that's accurate, as well as have all 30(or whatever the real number is) combinations laid out for me in a picture

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I might be misinterpreting it, but there are only 11 nets of a cube and they don't all fit into a 3x4 grid.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I might be misinterpreting it, but there are only 11 nets of a cube and they don't all fit into a 3x4 grid.

Nets?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

A 'net' is the mathematical term for the 2d shape you can make by cutting a 3d shape at some of its edges and laying it flat.
For example:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

A 'net' is the mathematical term for the 2d shape you can make by cutting a 3d shape at some of its edges and laying it flat.
For example:

Given that picture it looks like you could still hit 30 if you considered permutations of those nets based on reflections. Five of them (1, 4, 8, 9, 10) have 2 different positions based on reflections, five more (2, 3, 5, 6, 7) have 4 positions by the same measure, and the last one doesn't fit in a 3x4 grid.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

NGDBSS posted:

Given that picture it looks like you could still hit 30 if you considered permutations of those nets based on reflections. Five of them (1, 4, 8, 9, 10) have 2 different positions based on reflections, five more (2, 3, 5, 6, 7) have 4 positions by the same measure, and the last one doesn't fit in a 3x4 grid.

Given that it specified a die and not just any cube I would assume they're counting permutations as unique items, yeah.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone here who is good at math and making images want to help me out here with this;

Basic idea is that you take a 6 sided die then divide it into it's six sides and lay them out flat in a 3x4 grid with all six sides in contact with at least one other side, the source for this claims there's 30 possible combinations that could be done for this, I want to know if that's accurate, as well as have all 30(or whatever the real number is) combinations laid out for me in a picture

Flavivirus posted:

For example:

Phoneposting so no pictures.

It gets messier depending on what you consider a unique shape. If you mirror all but 1 and 9 you get shapes the others can't rotate into (like how Tetris has left and right versions of the L and S blocks), so that would bring us to 18 "unique" 3x4 restrained combinations. If rotational symmetry doesn't matter either then we can another 12 by rotating 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, m2, m3, m5, m6, and m7. So your friend is arguably right, but also arguably wrong.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Take a look at these first. I colored some squares for description.

See how the red square kinda "moves down" in steps? There are exactly four positions for it to be in. The blue square could "move" in the same way and it would still always make a cube. That means the blue square can be in 4 positions, and for each of these positions, the red square can also be in 4 positions. That gives us 4 x 4 = 16 nets.

Next:

Same principle, the red square can be in 3 different positions. Each of the nets that gives us can be mirrored horizontally, which doubles the amount of nets, making 6. And each of those nets can be mirrored vertically, doubling the amount again to give us 12.

We're already at 28. Last two are this one:

Just mirror it horizontally or vertically, doesn't matter, to get the final one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Take a look at these first. I colored some squares for description.

See how the red square kinda "moves down" in steps? There are exactly four positions for it to be in. The blue square could "move" in the same way and it would still always make a cube. That means the blue square can be in 4 positions, and for each of these positions, the red square can also be in 4 positions. That gives us 4 x 4 = 16 nets.

Next:

Same principle, the red square can be in 3 different positions. Each of the nets that gives us can be mirrored horizontally, which doubles the amount of nets, making 6. And each of those nets can be mirrored vertically, doubling the amount again to give us 12.

We're already at 28. Last two are this one:

Just mirror it horizontally or vertically, doesn't matter, to get the final one.

Did I click on the Qanon thread by mistake.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean it's perfectly straightforward

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurdiak posted:

Did I click on the Qanon thread by mistake.
The what throoooly poo poo what the gently caress is this

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh poo poo we have a table at work in our break room where you can write whatever you want on it. Some loser wrote "Look up QAnon!"

I want to write above it "If you're a credulous moron," but I am not sure if that makes me more of a loser or less. Mostly I'm sad I work with a crazy person and that they are probably interacting with customers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I never was really all that into zelda

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Thanks everyone, also guess I should mention what spurred this; was reading the original manga for Yugioh because I'm a huge dork, and for one of the games featured in it(that isn't the card game everyone associates with that franchise), one of the core mechanics involves unfolding a die in the manner I mentioned to act as part of the game's playing field each time you summon a monster(since the monster is supposed to be inside the die), and the character who created that game specifically mentioned there being 30 combinations of positions a die could have when you "Dimension" it(to use his terminology), wanted to know if he was right because I suck at math enough that I couldn't really trust myself to do it accurately

Also wow I had never heard of QAnon before, that's a whole new level of crazy to process

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Thanks everyone, also guess I should mention what spurred this; was reading the original manga for Yugioh because I'm a huge dork, and for one of the games featured in it(that isn't the card game everyone associates with that franchise), one of the core mechanics involves unfolding a die in the manner I mentioned to act as part of the game's playing field each time you summon a monster(since the monster is supposed to be inside the die), and the character who created that game specifically mentioned there being 30 combinations of positions a die could have when you "Dimension" it(to use his terminology), wanted to know if he was right because I suck at math enough that I couldn't really trust myself to do it accurately
Dungeon Dice Monsters. It was an actual physical game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bEDMuBe0qw

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dungeon Dice Monsters. It was an actual physical game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bEDMuBe0qw

Yup, even owned that set at one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Dungeon Dice Monsters is cool, but Griddle Ice Hockey is cooler. It's like normal ice hockey, except the puck is a disk of ice around a tube of nitroglycerin and table is a hot metal griddle.