Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I showed you that in confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh I was just wondering if that had a trailer, looks good.

This week's Yotsuiro Biyori has a weird girl who was apparently burned by an online restaurant review and her very good aunt :3:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drat, that's a good aunt

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If anyone was curious, yes 3D Kanojo went off the animation/storyboarding rails. Not as poorly as Hoods Entertainment's previous series infamously did earlier this year, Marchen Madchen, but still p bad. Oh well.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
hey auntie

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

If anyone was curious, yes 3D Kanojo went off the animation/storyboarding rails. Not as poorly as Hoods Entertainment's previous series infamously did earlier this year, Marchen Madchen, but still p bad. Oh well.

http://0x0.st/sLBy.webm

http://0x0.st/sLBt.webm

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
ouch.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Is anyone else watching Emara, btw?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

Finally getting around to checking out what's coming up next season, and there seems to be a decent slew of fun stuff in there. http://anichart.net/Summer-2018

Anyways I plan to have the new thread up by next weekend, so it's about that time where I ask my fellow goons what they think the title for the next seasonal thread should be.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AnacondaHL posted:

are there writeups on these anywhere? I heard about Marchen Madchen in passing but i couldn't find any more info than "the animation is lol" and i'm kinda curious

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

are there writeups on these anywhere? I heard about Marchen Madchen in passing but i couldn't find any more info than "the animation is lol" and i'm kinda curious

Sakuga Blog usually has the goods. Here’s their article on Marchen Mädchen.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Fortunately it's not a show that demands high animation either. It's not pretty but it works well enough for what it wants to do.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

nielsm posted:

Fortunately it's not a show that demands high animation either. It's not pretty but it works well enough for what it wants to do.

Unfortunately it is a show that required tight timing and dialogue, which is why I mentioned storyboarding. Random background shots and pauses between dialogue were extended to awkward effect as part of the aforementioned animation trainwreck. It's like they put the episode together, realized they were 3 minutes short, and artificially extended every cut by a half second to make it fit with accompanying terrible visuals.

The two webms posted were some flashy examples, but the whole episode was a slog.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
e: I was going to say as bad as the scans are watching it still might be the better option but the manga is licensed so bad scans aren't an issue anymore thank goodness

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, I would not have guessed that Kou is voiced by Aoi Yuuki.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

Huh, I would not have guessed that Kou is voiced by Aoi Yuuki.

She's got range.

(Also, her appearance at the Nier dinner panel was maybe the best thing. She got way into that game.)

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Now that the season is winding down, here's some thoughts on the stuff I watched.

Good poo poo
Hinamatsuri: Probably anime of the season. Swings wildly between heartwarming drama and dark comedy, but does so with such confidence that it's hard to hate.
Hisone to Masotan: Runner-up of the season, unless the last three episodes knock it out of the park. Great art, likeable characters, and easily the best ED of the season.
Gun Gale: Pleasant surprise of the season. Low-stakes PUBG SOA is much more enjoyable than high-stakes fantasy SOA. Great characters, really fun action scenes.
Fumikiri Jikan: Only watched three episodes, but those were pretty good. Will probably watch the remaining episode in one sitting once the season's over.

Mediocre poo poo
My Hero Academia: "It's more MHA". The novelty has really worn off at this point, and the Big Plot this season didn't interest me much. Worst OP of the season, too.
Comic Girls: It's impossible to talk about this show with using the word "generic". There's cute girls, they're doing cute things, it's both enjoyable and extremely forgettable.
Uma Musume: A well-made show advertising a dumb mobage advertising a sport that doesn't interest me in the slightest. More entertaining than it should have been.

poo poo
Franxx: The last two episodes ruined the show for me. I'll still finish it, but my expectations for a satisfying ending are really low.
Wotakoi: Lazy animation, bad joke timing, boring characters. Also somehow the best OP of the season.
Caligula: Only show I dropped this season. Mediocre adaptation of what looks like a really lovely game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

odd future is a great song by the way they time it for the op is... odd...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

How did the new Full Metal Panic turn out? I still haven't started watching it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tamba posted:

How did the new Full Metal Panic turn out? I still haven't started watching it.

You can see the production struggling a little here and there, particularly in the action scenes (which often feel decently shot and decently choreographed but a bit unfinished and a bit more ambitious than the studio’s resources can handle), but it’s a perfectly functional adaptation of a fun story, and if you watched the first one, it will give you a mighty nostalgia kick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it helps that the books they are adapting are pretty good

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

odd future is a great song by the way they time it for the op is... odd...

I don't necessarily agree with the "great song" part, but yeah, the way literally nothing in the visuals syncs up with the audio makes me think it was a last-minute replacement for some other track.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I like the current MHA OP a lot because the song is so catchy, but I'd definitely agree that the pacing of the visuals aren't the most suited for the music's choppy staccato feel. It's also weird when the MHA logo appears as though the OP is over already, right when the song kicks into gear. Still a really good song though!

Also, the Kase-san OVA is out and it's absolutely WONDERFUL

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

esselfortium posted:

Seriously, best of the season right there.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

esselfortium posted:

kyaaa

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
It's rare enough to see a romance anime that's actually about an established relationship, let alone one with such well-written characters. And for it to be actually, unapologetically gay, too. Kase-san is a miracle.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
So, with the season almost at an end, here’s my favourites:

More Of The Same But Wow!
My Hero Academia, season 3: it’s been a wild ride so far, with those of us not following the manga on the edge of our seats with some really suspenseful action stuff.

It Wasn’t On My List But You Guys Hyped It
Megalo Box: I was going to swerve it, and tbh I’m still not interested in most sports anime. But this is just SO GOOD and SO RETRO and just SO!
(see also Hisone + Masotan)

It Looked Creepy At First But Turned Out Aces
Uma Musume - Pretty Derby: Once you got past the slightly creepy premise, this is a show with MASSIVE heart, and if MHA has you in the edge of your seat with fear, this does it with exciting Horse girl racing. Weird but good.
(see also Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi)

Slice Of Life Is Best Slice
Comic Girls: Yeah, it’s slight but it’s cute AF. Kaos-chan is all of us, only as a 16yr old mangaka.
(see also Fumikiri Jikkan)

It’s Pretty Gay (Not That There’s Anything Wrong With That)
Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori: four lovely men run a lovely cafe, serving lovely food and scary lattes. Iyashekai at its finest.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Great:

Megalobox: This loving rules. Every single episode has me on the edge of my seat, and the music is fantastic.

Hinamatsuri: The funniest comedy since Konosuba, with a surprisingly sweet center. Hitomi is best girl, except for when it's Anzu.

Fine:
My Hero Academia: Still good, still Shonen as hell. The new material is just fine, but I've found myself falling farther and farther behind.

GGO: Charming with some occasionally well-directed action scenes and a cast with solid chemistry. Let down somewhat by it's overall plot.

Bad:
Darling in the FranXX: I wanted to believe, but this show's a mess. It's not a garbage fire, but it's not good. The only thing worse than when it cribs straight from EVA is when it has it's own ideas.

Uma Musume: I like moe and all, but this just did nothing for me.

Magical Girl Ore: This is ugly and kind of mean-spirited, both of which would be totally fine if the jokes landed. They don't.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eela6 posted:

My Hero Academia: Still good, still Shonen as hell. The new material is just fine, but I've found myself falling farther and farther behind.
You'll want to catch up quick, today's episode was The Big One that manga readers have been waiting for for two years.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Terper posted:

You'll want to catch up quick, today's episode was The Big One that manga readers have been waiting for for two years.

Who kisses?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Who kisses?

All For One and All Might('s fist).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Terper posted:

I assume that it must be some incredibly lame "badass" moment.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gently caress yeah

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tfw the one good cut of animation hits and they blare the string section

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
My absolute favorite thing about Hinamatsuri is as soon as Nitta gets the chance to act like his adopted daughter isn't coming home the in ending credits he imagines life without her in the picture. He's just laughing, enjoying that bachelor yakuza life. It's so freaken hilarious. This week's the second or third time I think.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway here's the seasonal hots take

Gurazeni: while the show struggles to maintain even a baseline level of appealing animation, it has really strong designwork and a unique tone. peppered with cheery surf rock, it's a sports slice-of-life story that isn't nailed to any particular sense of continuity and regularly wanders away from Bonda to cover one-off players on rival teams. with a focus on adult professional players and the realities of pro baseball, there's a sense of these characters laughing so they don't cry in the face of capitalism, where success is so readily measured by numbers (contracts, jerseys, stats) and you're only a moment away from being sent or sending another player back to the minors. from early on this gave me Kaiji vibes, in that these characters are all lovable losers you want to root for even while in opposition to each other. would be better if they cried more often though 6/10

Gegege no Kitaro: just wanna give a shout out to Kitaro for coming back and delivering a series that while also consistently good is willing to experiment with tone. i loved the mid 00's adaptation of Hakaba Kitaro so seeing some of that ethos be represented in this new version despite it being for kids is great. the other episodes are no slouch to be fair, though i think i'd do some second passes on the new designs.

Lupin Part 5: Lupin is semi-serialized now and frankly i don't like it. the stories don't particularly feel like they're worth the multi-episode investments and i'm not really taken in by Lupin integrating modern elements in some bid for greater relevancy or whatever. there's always the hope of next week being a one-off adventure, but the most recent one felt more to me like a retread of an episode from part 4 so even that was disappointing. they even made the OP bad, i'm in shock!!

i'm watching plenty of other things but most people have already covered them and tbh they don't inspire me with their consistent success (Megalobox, Hinamatsuri, Masotan) or their waffling from good and bad (GGO, Franxx) or they just aren't bad in a way that is fun to tease out (Cutie Honey, Gundam Build Divers). rip this season, long live summer 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I assume that it must be some incredibly lame "badass" moment.

You are the worst poster in the forums and I can't wait until you're kicked out of ADRTW like everywhere else.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Eela6 posted:

You are the worst poster in the forums and I can't wait until you're kicked out of ADRTW like everywhere else.

I thought they already were because literally everyone laughed off their attempt at building clout here.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
You will show the proper reverence for the epic battle shonen moment where a guy punches the mean guy, or else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Eela6 posted:

Whew! I thought it was me!

Yay, I'm not the worst, I'm not the worst!

• Locked thread