Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

I'm happy with roomfuls of Summoners who summon Archviles and Pain Elementals. :classiclol:

Hurt Me Plenty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MysteriousStranger posted:

Just saw the great news that we have our expansion. Can't wait.

Expansion? Doom: Eternal is a sequel

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I hope that when an Archevile resurrects a dead demon it's like the opposite of a gib explosion, with the gibs coming back together.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

gently caress it: Archviles who summon Archviles, and their flame attack is still hit scan.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I am a little disappointed it looks like we’re getting Doom2 Pain Elementals and not Doom64 Pain Elementals

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

For someone who never played Doom 64, what's the difference?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Spatial posted:

Doom 2 -

Doom 64 -

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I love when they're fleeing in terror and panic-lob a fireball behind them blind :3:

They really are one of the best characters and id made them perfectly for DO4M, they're quick little shits and do a lot more damage than you'd think. Plus keeping them fast, agile, and having them scale walls or attack in groups was a slam dunk when it came to battles :black101:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

AirRaid posted:

Doom 2 -

Doom 64 -

drat those are some dope rear end designs! I'm playing Doom64 now and haven't made it that far.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I prefer the look of the DOOM2 pain elemental. he looks so much more cuddly. I might be biased by those plushies I saw for sale

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Me and the Archvile after Doom Eternal got announced

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Spatial posted:

Play Doom 64

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Ultra Nightmare runs of Eternal are gonna be amazing

Or filled with the usual "Screw that noise, I'mma gonna rocket-jump out of bounds and walk to the end of the level" boring "tricks"

Play the game right, coward

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Official licensed cover of "Them Bones" for Doom 5: Hell-er On Earth

Give me Rooster instead and make it about Doomguy

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
Eyes burn with stinging sweat
Seems every path leads me to nowhere
Zombies, demons, hell-bound threats
Praetor suit was no safe bet
A lost soul screams at me from somewhere

Yeah, they come to snuff the Doomguy...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sockser posted:

Play Doom 64

I've tried, but the soundtrack :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ilmucche posted:

I think I've got an empty slot. More worrying is the way cooling is arranged and the fact the graphics card, though good, is hardwired to the mobo and can't be changed. If I get a new laptop can I just drop my hard drives into the new chassis and not worry about reinstalling windows?

I know nothing of computers.

Oh yeah, various vendors are starting to experiment with modular, external GPU setups--particularly for laptops, so you can "upgrade" without buying an entirely new laptop I guess--but your inability to replace things like the GPU and mobo on a laptop is currently par for the course.

Note that I'm not an expert on this, but with regards to relocating old laptop hard drives to a new laptop: You should be able to do that, so long as there is a free space in the new laptop to accept another hard drive. And I'm not sure if you're thinking about it, but you will almost certainly be unable to use the old install of Windows on that hard drive to run the new laptop. You can probably install the old drive in the new laptop as a secondary drive (not a drive the laptop will boot from), save whatever data you want off of it, and then delete the old Windows install and/or format the drive so it's fresh for the new laptop.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Vinylshadow posted:

The Ultra Nightmare runs of Eternal are gonna be amazing

Or filled with the usual "Screw that noise, I'mma gonna rocket-jump out of bounds and walk to the end of the level" boring "tricks"

Play the game right, coward

speedrunning is not a showcase of player skill, but a showcase of QA tester skill

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A.o.D. posted:

I've tried, but the soundtrack :(

Is awesome, agreed!

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I tired to play Doom 64, but even with the lights off and brightness on the TV and game turned up, it still was just a shadowy, vaugly moving shades of black on a screen.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

spider wisdom posted:

MOOD II: CHILL ON EARTH

Righteous. :respek:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Official licensed cover of "Them Bones" for Doom 5: Hell-er On Earth

They should do this, hell, license a few songs melodies, that's a fun idea. If that song was good enough for Street Fighter II (the animated movie), it's good enough for Doom 2 Eternal!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Is awesome, agreed!

I can't get past it. I need Doom to sound like Doom. It's a very important part of the experience to me.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

A.o.D. posted:

I can't get past it. I need Doom to sound like Doom. It's a very important part of the experience to me.

I honestly love both classic doom's rock and psx/doom 64's creepy ambiance. They both hit great notes.

Hey, could always play it with OCremix's doom 1 and 2 albums?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Thyrork posted:

I honestly love both classic doom's rock and psx/doom 64's creepy ambiance. They both hit great notes.

Hey, could always play it with OCremix's doom 1 and 2 albums?

It's not just the soundtrack, I HATE the way the Doom64/psx Doom monsters sound. Look, don't ask me to justify it, it's just how it is. If my imps don't sound like pigs or camels, I'm not happy.

Actually, that's the one thing that bothers me the most about the non-DOS Dooms, the in game sound effects are all wrong, not the least of which are the doors. It's not Doom without Doom doors!

Also, while some of OCRemix's Doom stuff is decent, I will never forgive them for what they did to Kitchen Ace and Donna to the Rescue.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hangarmageddon is cool, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Give me Rooster instead and make it about Doomguy

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
Eyes burn with stinging sweat
Seems every path leads me to nowhere
Zombies, demons, hell-bound threats
Praetor suit was no safe bet
A lost soul screams at me from somewhere

Yeah, they come to snuff the Doomguy...

You know he ain't gonna die!!!!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

AirRaid posted:

Doom 2 -

Doom 64 -

Sorry I think the original Goofy Brown Daddies are way better.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Really like the e1m8 track they did on that album.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Eternal tOOt

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Xenaero posted:

Really like the e1m8 track they did on that album.

Yeah it was pretty good, though if you haven't heard it, you should check out Sonic Clang's take on it. It's really special. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukQblT_5_fg

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Spatial posted:

Doom 64 has a lot of redesigns, but the biggest change is how amazing the maps look. The lighting was really cool for it's time and is a fresh take on classic Doom gameplay. Definitely try it on PC sometime.

Edit: Did anyone ever disprove the theory that Doom 64 guy is the Doomslayer? I remember talking about it but I don't remember the conclusion.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 16, 2018

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Doom 4 basically implies that all the games AND the fan wads are canon. Doom I + II happen, Doom 64 is the third chapter. He stays in Hell, becomes the Doomslayer, kills demons across dimensions for eons (the wads) and then Doom 4 happens. In Quake Champions, his legendary skin is the original Doom guy's marine armor, complete with a memento of Daisy, his pet rabbit that was killed by demons during the invasion at the end of I/beginning of II.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Doom 4 basically implies that all the games AND the fan wads are canon. Doom I + II happen, Doom 64 is the third chapter. He stays in Hell, becomes the Doomslayer, kills demons across dimensions for eons (the wads) and then Doom 4 happens. In Quake Champions, his legendary skin is the original Doom guy's marine armor, complete with a memento of Daisy, his pet rabbit that was killed by demons during the invasion at the end of I/beginning of II.

Where does doom 3 fit? Same as original doom?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

central dogma posted:

Where does doom 3 fit?

In the trash.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

central dogma posted:

Where does doom 3 fit? Same as original doom?

Doom4 implies that there's some kind of multiverse (the mars and UAC shown in OG Doom is not the same mars and UAC shown in DO4M) with hell acting as a bridge, so Doom3 is just another offshoot.

Speaking of Doom3, didn't someone say the DO4M soundtrack has a track that references the Doom3 main theme or something like that?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

Doom4 implies that there's some kind of multiverse (the mars and UAC shown in OG Doom is not the same mars and UAC shown in DO4M) with hell acting as a bridge, so Doom3 is just another offshoot.

Speaking of Doom3, didn't someone say the DO4M soundtrack has a track that references the Doom3 main theme or something like that?

About three minutes into this track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNRCA1hbvQk

I also recommend speeding it up by 20% in Audacity, because it sounds even better (IMO)
YT's 25% is just a hair too fast otherwise

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sweet, I always wanted to hear a Mick Gordon/Enya mashup album.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dewgy posted:

Sweet, I always wanted to hear a Mick Gordon/Enya mashup album.
Stop giving me ideas, thread

I already couldn't let go of "BLT Division" and ended up making this dumb thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_n0b9mzw0

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

This is it.

The is the culmination of this thread. Close it down boys, we're done here. This is the greatest thing that will be posted.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sub’d, liked, commented. loving flawless you beautiful, beautiful hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

God, that is stupid. :five: