Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

Is the Fiesta ST airbox bottom portion the same as the non-ST ones? Also, anyone want to sell one? :v:

what did you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I cut the bottom off and have enjoyed the sounds for a couple months, but now it is time to put the stock one back on since it heat soaks like gently caress

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Put that money towards an fmic!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wish Ford listed a part number for just the bottom half. :smith:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I wish Ford listed a part number for just the bottom half. :smith:

Id check the fiesta facebook groups and see if there is someone who has a spare one after upgrading.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I bought a GTI about a year ago and I like everything about it except the seat... I find it cramped and uncomfortable (the seat itself, the bolsters on the backrest are fine).

Are there places that will shave down foam and reupholster? A ton of aftermarket seats exist but they are probably going to be MORE sporty and cramped.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I don't see why not. I'd start asking around reputable body shops and possibly furniture repair places.

I'm still in love with this stupid loving go-kart, and since I'm being considered for a job that pays literally 4x what I make now I've been eyeballing upgrades *hard*.

Save me friends, lest I make my daily unreliable and Too Much Fun.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

Id check the fiesta facebook groups and see if there is someone who has a spare one after upgrading.

I will be picking one up over lunch today :)

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

ADINSX posted:

I bought a GTI about a year ago and I like everything about it except the seat... I find it cramped and uncomfortable (the seat itself, the bolsters on the backrest are fine).

Are there places that will shave down foam and reupholster? A ton of aftermarket seats exist but they are probably going to be MORE sporty and cramped.

Custom upholstery work like that can be relatively hard to find and fairly expensive if you do. Unless you find some old school place that's been doing it forever locally or something.

Might be a better/simpler option to see if you can find non-GTI VW seats or maybe seats from a different trim level and see if you can just swap them in. Lot of people do that with the Focus STs, buy a base level with the cloth seats and swap in the Titanium trim leather seats or the ST2/3 Recaros.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone been at the blower motor in their FoST? I've got a loud hum and vibration at high fan speeds and I'm pretty sure there's some poo poo down in it, somehow.

How hard was it and how did you go about it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ADINSX posted:

how about a gym membership? :v:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Today I was called a "prius human being"

I'm not sure why he said such things but I'm offended that he thought it was an insult. Doubly offended that he threw a milkshake at my car.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Do we all actually drive a prius???

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
why were you driving that slow?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Buddy if you think I'm not constantly risking a reckless ticket..

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nah was just curious how dipshit managed to nail you with a milkshake, i zip past brotrucks asap because they cant loving see me and could run me over. i figured most hot hatch folks are uhm always a bit excessive on the gas

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
where was your gun? why didnt you shoot him? you are american, after all

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

BraveUlysses posted:

how about a gym membership? :v:

Uh its my sick gains that are the problem

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

nah was just curious how dipshit managed to nail you with a milkshake, i zip past brotrucks asap because they cant loving see me and could run me over. i figured most hot hatch folks are uhm always a bit excessive on the gas

You can run from a lot of things, but you can't run from a stoplight when you are in the left turn lane.

I should have shot him for being a bad person and threatening me with dairy, I'm lack toast and toddler ant.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i guess we are all prius drivers

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You guys joke, but 4 shot(2 of them children) in road rage incident.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 16, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:smithfrog:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

lol, this dumb country still allows people with mental health issues to buy guns

greatest country in the world :freep:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The Venn diagram of people who have mental issues and people who would keep a gun accessible to them while driving is a perfect circle, as far as I can tell.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i do like doing the "what the gently caress" arms at people on the road.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

i do like doing the "what the gently caress" arms at people on the road.

On the whole you're better off not acknowledging that other drivers exist. Respect that the other cars exist with turn signals and defensive driving, don't ignore pedestrians, etc, but eye contact, gestures, and other personal communication have a way too high chance of making some diseased motherfucker flip out on you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is swapping out the plastic oil whatchamahoozit in a GTI for a metal one a thing? Would it be something worth doing?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the what? if you dont even know what it is why are you asking? just drive the car bro

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

New gti have plastic drain plugs

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
And 'plastic' oil pans, just leave it alone tho

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Ferret King posted:

Anyone been at the blower motor in their FoST? I've got a loud hum and vibration at high fan speeds and I'm pretty sure there's some poo poo down in it, somehow.

How hard was it and how did you go about it?

Changed the cabin air filter. It was at interval anyway. The noise went away.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BlackMK4 posted:

And 'plastic' oil pans, just leave it alone tho

That’s the one. I’m not really worried about it. The mechanic just brought it up as being unusual. I guess they don’t get many newer GTIs.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Changed the cabin air filter. It was at interval anyway. The noise went away.

Mines making a sort of squeaky sound at high fan settings, wonder if it’s my filter or the fan bearings or something.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PaintVagrant posted:

Mines making a sort of squeaky sound at high fan settings, wonder if it’s my filter or the fan bearings or something.

If it's a whistle, check to see if all of your vents are COMPLETELY open and unobstructed. My vents whistle like crazy if the passenger-side vent near the door is angled downward enough to restrict any airflow.

The filter change was pretty easy. Gotta mash it up a little to get the new one in, but I was able to do it without wrecking the shape of it or having to remove the glovebox. If the car has run recently be careful, the hot-side A/C lines run through there and you WILL contact them with your hands when messing around with the filter/enclosure. They get really loving hot.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 17, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

If it's a whistle, check to see if all of your vents are COMPLETELY open and unobstructed. My vents whistle like crazy if the passenger-side vent near the door is angle downward enough to restrict any airflow.

The filter change was pretty easy. Gotta mash it up a little to get the new one in, but I was able to do it without wrecking the shape of it or having to remove the glovebox. If the car has run recently be careful, the hot-side A/C lines run through there and you WILL contact them with your hands when messing around with the filter/enclosure. They get really loving hot.

Good info, thanks.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Video from RCR from Focus Rising at the Ford Nationals at Carlisle: Which Focus is Best Focus? One of the few times I was glad not to be in a video. And I know the guy at the end. He is exactly as he appears.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Warbird posted:

That’s the one. I’m not really worried about it. The mechanic just brought it up as being unusual. I guess they don’t get many newer GTIs.

Newer cars efforts to reduce weight. It's fine, leave it.

Midjack posted:

On the whole you're better off not acknowledging that other drivers exist. Respect that the other cars exist with turn signals and defensive driving, don't ignore pedestrians, etc, but eye contact, gestures, and other personal communication have a way too high chance of making some diseased motherfucker flip out on you.

People will still find a way to rage at you. I was passing somebody in the left lane the other day and all the sudden there was an SUV about a foot behind me on my rear end. When passing I make sure I can see the person in my rear view that I'm passing so there's enough gap (which admittedly is a lot maybe) and then get back over. Said SUV cuts off the person I was passing and goes around me on the right, turns full around when in front of me and flips me off. Then proceeds to drive not much faster than I was going.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You only control you.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sometimes i cant even manage that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yo Blackmk4. Cut airbox, whoosh fmic, stock rad. 45 minute drive home in traffic.