Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I love how, in Hollow Knight, you destroy fore- and background objects with every swing of your nail, especially the signs and other relics of Hollownest. It's wonderfully thematic and really sells both the decrepit and discarded nature of Hollownest and your character's aloofness from the world they're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I like my CEO's face in OpenTTD. He has the aggressively happy, optimistic malevolence of the modern business personality.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

I like my CEO's face in OpenTTD. He has the aggressively happy, optimistic malevolence of the modern business personality.

TT was a really great game, but what I remember most about it is the shamefully long time it took me to realize that paying for road repairs is something you're supposed to do in a competitor's city, not yours.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

TT was a really great game, but what I remember most about it is the shamefully long time it took me to realize that paying for road repairs is something you're supposed to do in a competitor's city, not yours.

As someone who hasn't played the game what was the reason? As I would think paying for road repairs would be the only way to repair your city's roads.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nude posted:

As someone who hasn't played the game what was the reason? As I would think paying for road repairs would be the only way to repair your city's roads.

Because it was less 'repairing' them and more 'blocking' them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nude posted:

Roads don't actually decay so funding repaving roads makes them less useful for no actual benefit. So you pay to pave the roads in cities your competitors run trucks in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So a friend and I each picked up Blood and Bacon the other day because hey it was $1 and so far it's paid for itself in ridiculous poo poo.

At it's core it's just an arena wave shooter. Enter arena, kill pigs, go back to barn to start next wave. But so far things we've encountered:

The only NPC is a farmer who is missing one leg below the knee and is stuck to the barn by a pitch fork. He gives you pointless exposition and delivers terrible one liners. He reacts to three things that we've seen 1) shining a flashlight in his face, 2) shooting him in the head and he goes on a little rant about how it's not that funny to shoot him in the head and 3) shooting him in the dick where he gasps in pain and vomits blood

We just unlocked paintball guns. They do dick all for damage but each time you reload the color changes and the splatters don't go away until the end of the lever. Great for dick drawin'

You get more ammo/powerups by pushing pig parts into a giant meat grinder.

Each wave gives you stats. One stat it tracks is "Assplosions"

Assplosions are when a pig just explodes into gibs and blood

The first main weapon you unlock is an AK-47. It's just a standard AK but if you look at the reflection along the side it's always outside and there's always stationary pigs and it's too ridiculous to not be intentional.

If you shoot a pig gib that's in the air it starts a combo counter. After some undetermined amount of time/points the gib explodes into fireworks and it tells you how high it went.

We've only seen two bosses so far. The first boss you definitely want to be playing coop because you gave on this demon pig and it triggers a sanity effect(?) both of us went "why can't i use my guns anymore?" and then it turned out our arms were just gone and blood was shooting from our shoulders

I don't intend to spoil anything about the wave 20 boss beyond her name "Princess Blubbergut"

Definitely worth the $1

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Was playing the beginning of Persona 5 today. At the beginning, you and someone are going to school when you get sucked into a dungeon, so you're running around, leaping over pits, and all that while carrying around your bookbags. This is the only time in the game you'll ever see these animations: every other time you're in a dungeon, you don't have your bag with you. I though it was a nice touch.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 4 Golden has another nice animation detail with the costume changes; if you equip the Persona 3 uniforms, everyone will do Persona 3 victory poses at the end of battle.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Xenoblade 2 released some dlc today - part of it adds Shulk and Fiora which is nice, but a really nice touch that comes with that is the return of visions - which was the most interesting thing about Xenoblade, so its really nice to see that back.

It also adds costumes which is also cool. Was getting really tired of Rex's space suit.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Jun 15, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does Pyra get an even more revealing outfit? Asking for a friend.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Leal posted:

Does Pyra get an even more revealing outfit? Asking for a friend.

She gets her cloak disguise from chapter 2(?) - so a less revealing costume surprisingly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

scarycave posted:

She gets her cloak disguise from chapter 2(?) - so a less revealing costume surprisingly.

Into the dragging things down thread with it :v:

Some content, I enjoyed in the Octo Path demo where I had to train some local militiamen and I promptly turned around and challenged the elder of the village to a duel and KICKED HIS rear end

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Picked up Titanfall 2 alongside the awful Killzone in the current PSN sale, and holy goddamn is it a good game. Amazing campaign, fantastic gameplay, and actually interesting characters. I was genuinely disappointed when the credits hit. I really hope they make another one.

I'd say the whole game counts, but to single some stuff out, I loved how chunky the weapons felt. Nice booms and cracks, no wet farts. I also really enjoyed how your robro learned humor and poo poo from you over the course of the game, but still didn't quite get it 100%.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I've got to give Respawn credit for going from the first game with no real single player to creating one of the best FPS single player campaigns of the last few years for the second.

Especially Effect/Cause.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I've got to give Respawn credit for going from the first game with no real single player to creating one of the best FPS single player campaigns of the last few years for the second.

Especially Effect/Cause.

And now they're doing some grimdark story Star Wars thing. :pcgaming:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The new Jurassic World Evolution game is pretty neat. It's a park sim and so you have your usual advisers. And also Ian Malcolm, who reminds you as often as possible that this is all a terrible idea and you're going to regret it.

Oh, and your dinos all have individual stat tracking, including how many people they've killed.

Also you can drive around in a jeep like an rear end in a top hat annoying dinosaurs. And a helicopter I guess.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

If you attack a crow in Tokyo Jungle, other crows will remember and come after you, even if they're outmatched in a stand up fight. That's entirely different from other prey animals in the game, and pretty neat.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Leal posted:

Into the dragging things down thread with it :v:

Honestly, out of the costumes I've unlocked it was one of the better one's because it's not just a texture recolor.
I'm kind of disappointed that Dromarch's is just a bad paint job of a bengal tiger and not wearing his sleeping hat.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

If you attack a crow in Tokyo Jungle, other crows will remember and come after you, even if they're outmatched in a stand up fight. That's entirely different from other prey animals in the game, and pretty neat.

Just like real life! Crows will remember mean researchers on college campuses and get all their friends to loving mob them when they're in the area.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Jehde posted:

And now they're doing some grimdark story Star Wars thing. :pcgaming:

Yeah this is pretty huge. Titanfall was so inspired and then they displayed such good single-player chops in Titanfall 2, i reckon they’re gonna crush it. Love a good Star Wars game

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Finished up Iconoclasts, and while on the whole I can't really recommend it, I do appreciate the setting. I mean, it's not really a little thing, but setting the entire game on a planet-shaped, but clearly artificial, fuel depot, with the final boss, about which an entire religion was based, being an alien that just wants to tank up its spaceship is really a fantastic way to have a "big mystery" with a resolution that is going to completely blindside most players, without feeling like an asspull.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Was there content hinting at what you spoilered in the game? The ending sort of surprised me but I had long chalked it up to “oh they’re doing a final fantasy” so I wasn’t blindsided.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

In the Crew, they model major American cities and some tinier towns in their map. Now, I never expect accurate towns or to even see town names for the places I live in.

I was delighted to find that they modeled Stockbridge! My mom's hometown, present! It's only a few blocks, but they got the Red Lion Inn and the vibe of the place, and gosh. :3:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Was there content hinting at what you spoilered in the game? The ending sort of surprised me but I had long chalked it up to “oh they’re doing a final fantasy” so I wasn’t blindsided.

I don't believe so, but if you think about what the game does tell you about the setting, it's not at all unreasonable. Specifically:
  • Humans colonized this planet from space.
  • The planet is artificial.
  • Ivory is this amazingly energy-dense substance that we don't know how to make.
  • A Star-Worm visits irregularly, for unknown reasons.
Since we don't know how the place works, either aliens built it, or humans built it and then forgot. The latter case seems unlikely; at least some records ought to have survived a cataclysm. So why would aliens build an artificial planet and fill it with an energy-dense liquid, then leave?

This is all post-hoc reasoning; when I first saw the final boss I laughed and went "Really?!" But as I thought about it, it actually made sense and was justifiable from the setting clues.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
A little thing I appreciated about Titanfall 2's single player campaign was that it was just...fun and positive. Your main dude doesn't die at the end, the story doesn't take itself overly serious, even the villains have fun personalities and are painted in broad strokes. It's just you and your big robot pal going on a cool military sci-fi adventure and saving the day! It was really refreshing and fun without falling into the loving abyss of obnoxiousness like Borderlands or the overly serious borefest of a Call of Duty or Battlefield game.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I love all of the boss intros (and executions) in Titanfall 2's campaign.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't believe so, but if you think about what the game does tell you about the setting, it's not at all unreasonable. Specifically:
  • Ivory is this amazingly energy-dense substance that we don't know how to make.
Since we don't know how the place works, either aliens built it, or humans built it and then forgot. The latter case seems unlikely; at least some records ought to have survived a cataclysm. So why would aliens build an artificial planet and fill it with an energy-dense liquid, then leave?

This is all post-hoc reasoning; when I first saw the final boss I laughed and went "Really?!" But as I thought about it, it actually made sense and was justifiable from the setting clues.

You know that scene in Men in Black 2 where they open the locker and there's a bunch of tiny dudes that worship K? That's the Iconoclast planet.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Your main dude doesn't die at the end, the story doesn't take itself overly serious

Your sentient robot buddy has not one but two Heroic Self-Sacrifice scenes. John Shootmans who saves the day by shooting all the mans and going from a put-upon grunt to the single bestest and most important soldier in the galaxy in the span of like two hours does live but you can tell they really took all the stuff with trying to make you care about your talking robot power-up very seriously.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Erotic Wakes posted:

Your sentient robot buddy has not one but two Heroic Self-Sacrifice scenes. John Shootmans who saves the day by shooting all the mans and going from a put-upon grunt to the single bestest and most important soldier in the galaxy in the span of like two hours does live but you can tell they really took all the stuff with trying to make you care about your talking robot power-up very seriously.

Brobot was the best and you are apparently soulless for not appreciating him for being the best.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

In the Crew, they model major American cities and some tinier towns in their map. Now, I never expect accurate towns or to even see town names for the places I live in.

I was delighted to find that they modeled Stockbridge! My mom's hometown, present! It's only a few blocks, but they got the Red Lion Inn and the vibe of the place, and gosh. :3:

That rules. I used to live in western Mass and I love any time it shows up in games (which is almost never)

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There were hints. Earlier you find the pods they use to make their leader class/agents and while you learn earlier that people that people that fail to 'ascend' just sort of vanish, you see under the pods and it seems the failures are liquified into the ivory that they've been using to power all their tech. Their god at the end was pissed that their opulence had drained the reserves and failed to sacrifice enough people to supply for its needs .

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, is ivory "soylent green but petroleum"?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sad lions posted:

There were hints. Earlier you find the pods they use to make their leader class/agents and while you learn earlier that people that people that fail to 'ascend' just sort of vanish, you see under the pods and it seems the failures are liquified into the ivory that they've been using to power all their tech. Their god at the end was pissed that their opulence had drained the reserves and failed to sacrifice enough people to supply for its needs .

I don't want to turn this thread into a CIA document, and as it turns out there's already an Iconoclasts thread with plenty of plot discussion. But I quibble with your conclusion; I'd argue that what you're referring to is waste, not product.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I love how in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Rome becomes much more vibrant and brighter as you liberate more, and renovate businesses. Crowds get bigger, ambient noise becomes more varied, NPCs being to walk with their heads up, etc.

Similar thing happened in that game where North Korea has invaded the USA. Seeing your enemy gradually lose control is fantastic.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
IIRC in Saboteur (blowing up Nazis in occupied France), areas under Nazi control are in black & white and when liberated they get their colors back.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm a total sucker for that kind of element in games. Even in AC2 revitalizing Monteriggioni was satisfying despite there not being a ton of depth to it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

IIRC in Saboteur (blowing up Nazis in occupied France), areas under Nazi control are in black & white and when liberated they get their colors back.

The color draining out of the world except for the blood red of the Nazi flag when the protagonist first encounters Nazi cruelty was brilliant.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
IIRC correctly the big bad Nazi's eyes also stayed a very vibrant blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Just like real life! Crows will remember mean researchers on college campuses and get all their friends to loving mob them when they're in the area.

Actually true of most birds in the Corvidae and Cracticede families.