Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

You will show the proper reverence for the epic battle shonen moment where a guy punches the mean guy, or else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

You will show the proper reverence for the epic battle shonen moment where a guy punches the mean guy, or else.

:worship:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What a weird thing to be elitist about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean it unironically :colbert: If you don't like climatic battles what are you even here for.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Cooking.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mycot posted:

I mean it unironically :colbert: If you don't like climatic battles what are you even here for.

A large variety of storytelling. If I were limited to only watching the specific shonen jump way of writing fights I wouldn't be watching much anime.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is a space where it's good to like things, so bullshit like ironic hate-watching and mocking others for genuinely enjoying something can gently caress right off.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i've gotten back into reading one piece and it's absolutely a shonen where im there not for battles or for fight choreography but for emotional beats like this

so read one piece i guess is what im saying

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Everything Burrito posted:

This is a space where it's good to like things, so bullshit like ironic hate-watching and mocking others for genuinely enjoying something can gently caress right off.

Better said than me. :)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

i'm watching plenty of other things but most people have already covered them and tbh they don't inspire me with their consistent success (Megalobox, Hinamatsuri, Masotan)

do you mean you can't think of anything particularly interesting to say, or is this a level beyond me

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Expect My Mom posted:

i've gotten back into reading one piece and it's absolutely a shonen where im there not for battles or for fight choreography but for emotional beats like this

so read one piece i guess is what im saying
One Piece is still very very good but I'd be lying if I said I was nearly as into it now as I was around the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc. Man, was that a special arc to get through. But that's sort of inevitable I suppose when you have something run as long as OP has.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

My Hero Academia's latest arc, culminating in today's episode, is very good because it embodies all of the show's strongest points and ideas regarding mentorship, and how the essence of being heroic is not in being good at punching things but at inspiring people to do better and be better than they are. It's extremely earnest and powerful and inspiring in a way few anime I've seen are.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Flaps posted:

Not liking a show is fine

Running into a discussion to scream "THIS SHOW SUCKS AND YOU'RE ALL IDIOTS FOR LIKING IT, STOP HAVING FUN IDIOT BABIES" is incredibly loving obnoxious, however, and BotL's gimmick is constantly doing this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm only watching two shows this season

MHA: It's good

Franxx: It's good

I'll watch the dragon thing whenever it turns up on Netflix I guess.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Nate RFB posted:

One Piece is still very very good but I'd be lying if I said I was nearly as into it now as I was around the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc. Man, was that a special arc to get through. But that's sort of inevitable I suppose when you have something run as long as OP has.
that's interesting! i'm making my way through Enies Lobby right now and while I love it, nothing really feels that Oda has peaked here. Maybe it's I always heard "You Gotta Get To Water 7, The True One Piece Starts There" or that I still have 500 chapters to go, but I'm just as excited to keep going and finish this arc and see whats next

It says a lot about One Piece I feel that I didn't really care about them attacking the Sea Train but the second Franky's backstory started wherein zero big fights happen, I read like two volumes in an hour

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Not liking a show is fine

Running into a discussion to scream "THIS SHOW SUCKS AND YOU'RE ALL IDIOTS FOR LIKING IT, STOP HAVING FUN IDIOT BABIES" is incredibly loving obnoxious, however, and BotL's gimmick is constantly doing this

How is this what happened and not a guy doing some light ribbing and two other people trying to drag up inter-forums drama at him in retaliation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Expect My Mom posted:

that's interesting! i'm making my way through Enies Lobby right now and while I love it, nothing really feels that Oda has peaked here. Maybe it's I always heard "You Gotta Get To Water 7, The True One Piece Starts There" or that I still have 500 chapters to go, but I'm just as excited to keep going and finish this arc and see whats next

It says a lot about One Piece I feel that I didn't really care about them attacking the Sea Train but the second Franky's backstory started wherein zero big fights happen, I read like two volumes in an hour
Enies Lobby and Arabasta are what I feel are pretty commonly considered the best overall arcs in OP. That's sure to invite plenty of disagreement and I am not saying the rest are bad, but those two will always be peak OP for me.

Personally (and this is reaching deep into the well since I'm going back nearly 15 years when I first read/watched it) I remember thinking OP pretty much "started" w/ Arlong Park.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry, but I only follow shoujo for my phat emotional beats.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm only watching two shows this season

MHA: It's good

Franxx: It's good

I'll watch the dragon thing whenever it turns up on Netflix I guess.

I thought Franxx is supposed to be like literally the worst thing ever created by human hands at this point or something?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

I thought Franxx is supposed to be like literally the worst thing ever created by human hands at this point or something?

as far as i can tell, it is a show with some bad parts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno who decided that but it wasn't me

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sorry, but I only follow shoujo for my phat emotional beats.

Is that done in crayon?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

How is this what happened and not a guy doing some light ribbing and two other people trying to drag up inter-forums drama at him in retaliation.

The context of BOTL’s post history is how. Sneering at inferior art is basically his gimmick, and he can and will drag down threads for pages on end with trite, circular arguments if you enage with him.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
then lets stop engaging with bravest of the lamps, forever

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Is that done in crayon?

It's a painted stillshot done to emphasize the scene. Osamu Dezaki ftw.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Most of it is at least competently executed, and there’s some half-decent character bits in there, but the pacing is super messy, much of the cast is badly done by, and if you look for any sort of meaning or message in it, you’re unlikely to find pleasant answers.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

do you mean you can't think of anything particularly interesting to say, or is this a level beyond me

i mean yes i don't really have anything to say about them, maybe partially because with like megalo and hinamatsuri i fairly early on solidified my impression of them/their strengths and weaknesses. but also when shows get hyped it kinda takes the air out of the room and i'm content to let other people who seem more outwardly enthusiastic run wild in the discussion. even with some of my recent favorites it kinda feels like others came along and well eclipsed my enthusiasm for them, though maybe mine just burns low and long instead. :shrug:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this forum has an ignore feature and once you start using it borderline irresponsibly, your posting experience will improve drastically

Nate RFB posted:

Enies Lobby and Arabasta are what I feel are pretty commonly considered the best overall arcs in OP. That's sure to invite plenty of disagreement and I am not saying the rest are bad, but those two will always be peak OP for me.

Personally (and this is reaching deep into the well since I'm going back nearly 15 years when I first read/watched it) I remember thinking OP pretty much "started" w/ Arlong Park.
Arlong Park is def the arc that sold me on One Piece, it's very good and I think if nothing about it does anything for you, drop it imo

So just read 100 chapters and you'll know if you like one piece. it's easy!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

people wish they could make crayon drawings as epic as dezaki

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I also kinda agree with Dogsicle specifically with Megalobox where I liked it a lot for a bit, but all the conversation around was endless praise and that bored me on it very quickly. That probably sounds nonsensical and maybe I'll go back to it but it be like that sometimes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kinda of amazing how quick Amanchu went from being one of my favorites in s1 to me hating it it the end of season 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Kinda of amazing how quick Amanchu went from being one of my favorites in s1 to me hating it it the end of season 2

big rip

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I also kinda agree with Dogsicle specifically with Megalobox where I liked it a lot for a bit, but all the conversation around was endless praise and that bored me on it very quickly. That probably sounds nonsensical and maybe I'll go back to it but it be like that sometimes

this weeks ep was really good for renewing my own hype independent of what everyone else is saying! but yeah there's a stretch from like, the first ep of the fight with the military guy until now that i kinda sleptwalked through.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

what happen

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DisDisDis posted:

what happen

a) Budget runs out

b) Plot breaks down

c) Characters are canon straight

d) All of the above

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

what happen

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

a) Budget runs out

b) Plot breaks down

c) Characters are canon straight

d) All of the above

its c we went Canon straight for Pikari

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Colonel posted:

then lets stop engaging with bravest of the lamps, forever

Expect My Mom posted:

this forum has an ignore feature and once you start using it borderline irresponsibly, your posting experience will improve drastically

These are good posts to take notice of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If I started ignoring all the people who annoyed me this forum would be looking empty pretty quick

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

its c we went Canon straight for Pikari

can't believe i was right to not watch s2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

If I started ignoring all the people who annoyed me this forum would be looking empty pretty quick

it's ok my posts will be enough

• Locked thread