Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It's just like when he turned peppers into a four syllable word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQFtjRG_jE

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm not sure that those colors are pastel? Maybe the blue? Besides, they make fun of Chekov all the time too.

OK so the only two crewmen who aren't human.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

TheCenturion posted:

Something like this:
They're flying towards the barrier. Kirk is worried that bad poo poo will happen. Sybok reminds him that 'God' has sent him plans for shielding. Kirk thinks this is crap, so Sybok says 'Ok, we'll wait until you change your mind.'

I'm sure it was something like this in the novelisation. Sybok had come up with some fancy shield designs to get them through the barrier. They then transmitted them back to the Federation, but they rushed it and sent it unencrypted so the Klingons intercepted it and could also make it through.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
It's Captain Picard Day! May your Earl Grey always be hot, and may there always be four lights.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
picard is a bitch

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Okay. I've got a Berenstain/Berenstein Bears Mandela Effect thing going on.

I vividly remember Sisko looking up from a bowl of jambalaya a la Sisko, and saying "Jambalaya!" in a super Sisko way.

Am I crazy?

You mean the Mengele Effect, right?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

loving lol at 2:11

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Low Desert Punk posted:

picard is a bitch

:gowron:

Ready the pain sticks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Maera Sior posted:

I've seen the original costumes and they're certainly not pastel. They are the shittiest fabric I've ever felt, though.

TOS was literally hiring illicit sweatshops to produce the costumes and had them delivered on the sly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I'm sure it was something like this in the novelisation. Sybok had come up with some fancy shield designs to get them through the barrier. They then transmitted them back to the Federation, but they rushed it and sent it unencrypted so the Klingons intercepted it and could also make it through.

My recollection is there wasn't even a transmission, the Klingons just scanned the Enterprise and noticed the shields were configured weird, and matched configurations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also huge, huge lols at the Discovery showrunners

When I said "pointing to TNG season 1's roughness as an excuse is a bad idea because it means you couldn't do better than an abusive senile drug addict," I did not expect them to start trying to make the show even more 'authentic' :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also, dang, is there nobody at CBS that can rein in this loving show? First season it was "lol we blew our release date so hard because we made all our costume and set designs ridiculously intricate", now it's "whoops we just blew our budget for the year on the first couple episodes!"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When will Star Trek stop being a slow-motion disaster

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Whenever someone drives a shuttle into the transfer beam.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

is it just me or does the casual racism get worse in TOS season 3?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pakled posted:

When will Star Trek stop being a slow-motion disaster

Slow motion disaster is the default status of Star Trek. Once in a while, competent people who give a poo poo about the material get involved, but they eventually burn out and leave.

Nodosaur posted:

is it just me or does the casual racism get worse in TOS season 3?

Everything gets worse in Season 3, partly for the reason above.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also, dang, is there nobody at CBS that can rein in this loving show? First season it was "lol we blew our release date so hard because we made all our costume and set designs ridiculously intricate", now it's "whoops we just blew our budget for the year on the first couple episodes!"

I don't think CBS had any idea of what it was getting into, even right from the start with Fuller. (And, of course, two of Fuller's bobos replaced him.)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

This is truly magical. I'd love to know where every one of these is from. I mean technically I do, but I mean like all at once. Particularly the one where it looks like he's flipping the bird.

E: Huh. It just so happens I know for sure where nine are from, and the other nine I don't.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 17, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

After The War posted:

Everything gets worse in Season 3, partly for the reason above.

Notably the misogyny.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
They could have just made the great barrier a nebula you can't see through. They already said no probe had ever returned and then they find a dude who probably destroys them trying to get off his planet in anything that flies. That's like, one line of dialog.

They also meant for Kirk's bros getting taken over to be a mysterious "what sort of power does this dude have that he can even flip Sulu etc?" but they couldn't sell it.

That script really needed another rewrite.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

They could have just made the great barrier a nebula you can't see through.

But then it wouldn't be ~the centre of the galaxy~

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

That movie was so quaintly galacto-centric

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Happy father's day!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Rascals is a strange and bad episode, but I’m still impressed by how well the kids playing Picard, Ro, and Guinan were able to emulate Stewart, Whoopi, and Michelle Forbes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rascals is a strange and bad episode, but I’m still impressed by how well the kids playing Picard, Ro, and Guinan were able to emulate Stewart, Whoopi, and Michelle Forbes.

Yeah, and "He's my number one dad!" always cracks me up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Good things about Rascals: Frakes and Picard Kid, they’re hilarious together and Frakes’ technobabble plan is so good.

Bad things about Rascals: just about everything else. The villains are a boring lot and the peril they allegedly threaten the ship with does not work with the farcical tone. Ro/Guinan plot is a bag of poo poo, it kills me that they ended up wasting Ro’s character on crap like this and Preemptive Strike. Keiko, hoo boy. Why even put this creepy poo poo in the episode? Was that really the best send off for the O’Briens they could think of?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dude, it's Trek. The bizarre pedophilia was just meat for the fans.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/therealsobreiro/status/1007620705347948544?s=19

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:gowron:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If they made Rascals today, they'd make kid Picard bald

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

skasion posted:

Good things about Rascals: Frakes and Picard Kid, they’re hilarious together and Frakes’ technobabble plan is so good.

Bad things about Rascals: just about everything else. The villains are a boring lot and the peril they allegedly threaten the ship with does not work with the farcical tone. Ro/Guinan plot is a bag of poo poo, it kills me that they ended up wasting Ro’s character on crap like this and Preemptive Strike. Keiko, hoo boy. Why even put this creepy poo poo in the episode? Was that really the best send off for the O’Briens they could think of?
Rascals sucks other than the kid who plays Picard being very good at it. The rest is just filler. Once again they use the Ferengi as villains and they are a joke.

I'm not sure why you had Ferengi villains showing up again in Seasons 6/7 after being absent for awhile. You had Rascals in S6 and then at the very end of S7 you had Bloodlines where they brink back Daimon Bok (from The Battle) to make Picard think he had a long-lost son.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
All the kid actors in Rascals were pretty great and it's honestly enough of a feat for 90s TV that the rest of the episode gets a pass from me.

I always get annoyingly preoccupied with the way that the transporter accident happens and Crusher and Troi instantly start questioning whether Picard should remain a captain. Like, they go out of their way to point out that everything with their mental capacity remains unchanged but oh no they have kid's bodies so they'd better be treated like kids! Given all the other weird poo poo that happens to Starfleet officers in the course of the various shows it seems really stupid.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rascals is another case of me yelling "DNA DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY" Morbo-style at my TV, just like Genesis.

FuturePastNow posted:

If they made Rascals today, they'd make kid Picard bald

:agreed:

Can't trust the audience!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My biggest beef with Rascals is that the whatever anomaly also resized their clothes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It's a shame that given the current trajectory of Star Trek on TV, we'll probably never get goofy one-off episodes again like Rascals, One Little Ship, The Next Phase, Bride of Chaotica...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Remember when Tuvok goes blind in Year of Hell, and Tim Russ' idea of playing a blind person is just Ray Charles playing piano but all the time