Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shear Modulus posted:

what the gently caress

did the checks from brock start bouncing

e: also he's full of poo poo it was absolutely always personal attacks lmao

i'm fairly sure the most sad thing about him was he wasn't getting paid after the campaign ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Peter belongs to us now

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

Peter belongs to us now

Goondolences.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Venom Snake posted:

Peter belongs to us now

who is us, cos hell naw

there is an angle

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

what in the hey :confused:

Daou... pivoted???

I'm legit floundering trying to explain this

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad that Obama's presidency was able to leave a lasting legacy of income inequality and the finance sector becoming even more powerful.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Daou is actually passionate about his politics. You can accuse him of being poo poo for 1000 different reasons but lack of sincerity isn't one of them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

loquacius posted:

what in the hey :confused:

Daou... pivoted???

I'm legit floundering trying to explain this

don't worry, his apology was "i'm sorry you were offended"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Just when you thought that you'd seen it all, the post-escalator world keeps upping the stakes.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
He sees 2020 coming and is hedging that Bernie is going to be doing pretty well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be fair, Daou is making a kind of typical "the Democrats need to be united" talking point here. It may be better than "burn the Bernie Bros and salt their bones" approach some other liberals take, but it's nothing that outside what you'd expect.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Daou is actually passionate about his politics. You can accuse him of being poo poo for 1000 different reasons but lack of sincerity isn't one of them.

That's why I'm so shocked he pivoted. He seemed to be a true believer. He seemed like he'd still keep stanning for HRC if she tweeted a video of herself egging his house.

Yinlock posted:

don't worry, his apology was "i'm sorry you were offended"

It is certainly a craven pivot, but a pivot nonetheless

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, Daou is making a kind of typical "the Democrats need to be united" talking point here. It may be better than "burn the Bernie Bros and salt their bones" approach some other liberals take, but it's nothing that outside what you'd expect.

Centrists are serpents, Bernie campaign for Crooked Hillary but they still continued to go after him and his supporters.

You can trust a centrist to genuinely support progressive causes similar to how in the UK Corbyn is having to deal with constant backstabbing from the Blairite faction.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Daou and his wife lost a child, a bad time he's in.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1007818141202776064

DO SOMETHING

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1008034710071791616

quote:

Why I'm calling out Dems (2/15):

I've done a lot of soul searching over the past two years about my staunch support for Hillary Clinton, my harsh critique of Bernie Sanders, and my unwavering support for the Democratic Party. It's NOT how I started my political career.

Why I'm calling out Dems (3/15):

As part of the netroots, what united us was fierce opposition to Bush and frustration with a meek Democratic Party. I was very critical of Dems who caved to Bush on civil libs, Iraq, etc. I criticized Obama for continuing some of those policies.

Why I'm calling out Dems (4/15):

Politicians like John Kerry and Hillary Clinton hired me as a liaison to the progressive community, NOT because I was a Democratic insider. I've never felt comfortable (or welcome) in Beltway culture.

Why I'm calling out Dems (5/15):

After working for Hillary and Kerry, I came to see the mainstream press as a huge part of the problem, echoing and reinforcing rightwing frames out of fear of being called the dreaded "liberal media." They're STILL doing it, and helping Trump.

Why I'm calling out Dems (6/15):

I was always more in line with the politics of Paul Wellstone (and yes, Bernie Sanders) than the Clintons, but I got to know Hillary in 2007 and 2008 and I saw a completely different person from the monstrous caricature.

Why I'm calling out Dems (7/15):

I came to see my defense of Hillary as a proxy for the larger battle against the brutally efficient rightwing attack machine (Fox, Drudge, Limbaugh, etc.). So when people on the left echoed those anti-Hillary narratives, I fought back hard.

Why I'm calling out Dems (8/15):

I also saw my advocacy for Hillary as a way to fight entrenched misogyny and sexism in the media and political establishment. It is beyond reprehensible that America has NEVER had a woman president and I wanted to do my best to help change that.

Why I'm calling out Dems (9/15):

2016 was a terrible year for so many people. @LeelaDaou underwent emergency surgery for an ectopic pregnancy, our first baby together. That crushing loss happened as Russians were threatening to murder us. Then to top it off, Hillary lost.

Why I'm calling out Dems (10/15):

My unwavering defense of Hillary turned me into a caricature too: Many Bernie supporters saw me as an anti-progressive, establishment Dem "shill." Apparently I was raking in money to protect the DNC. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Why I'm calling out Dems (11/15):

I've been going after regressive Republicans for two decades and questioning the weakness of Dem strategy and messaging. I've spoken out against Democrats on fracking, Gitmo, extrajudicial killing, drones, and timidity on universal healthcare.

Why I'm calling out Dems (12/15):

Not only am I not paid for my activism, it has cost me dearly. Consulting clients don't want someone who is "polarizing." Leela and I are hardly well-off. I do what I do because I want to leave something good behind and to make my family proud.

Why I'm calling out Dems (13/15):

I have trauma from growing up in war, from being displaced by violence as a child, from witnessing unspeakable horrors. PTSD and hypervigilance. My scars motivate me to fight for justice and fairness so others don't have to face the same thing.

Why I'm calling out Dems (14/15):

From 2015 to 2017, I believed it was IMPERATIVE to set aside my critiques and wholeheartedly support the Democratic Party because it was the ONLY way to defeat the most dangerous candidate in my lifetime. But now I see that isn't enough.

Why I'm calling out Dems (15/15):

The Democratic Party is NOT acting in unison. It is NOT speaking with a unified voice. It is NOT doing everything in its Constitutional power to resist the rise—and dominance—of white nationalism. And its leaders aren't leading.

END OF RANT.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

d-daou...good?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

He's saying the Dems need to be United and it's the establishment that's not helping, which is something coming from him

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Whatever this Daou poo poo is its in bad faith

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
do not trust daou

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The last bastion will be celebs and they will put up a god awful fight to keep themselves from the haircut of a Sanders administration.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Acelerion posted:

Whatever this Daou poo poo is its in bad faith

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
He's either on his way to waking the gently caress up, or this is some political hedging. The call for unity is pretty in character, though.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

anime was right posted:

do not trust daou

this. he's a political operative (and not a particularly good one) that's able to sense that things are changing.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

anime was right posted:

do not trust daou

never

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
nice meltdaoun

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

anime was right posted:

nice meltdaoun

anime was right, now is left

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm a leftist but I'm a realist.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

this. he's a political operative (and not a particularly good one) that's able to sense that things are changing.

Basically bad dems like Peter Daou dream of being able to subvert and control Berniecrats not cooperate with them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The thing to look for is if the rest of the Cult of Clinton will turn on him for disrespecting the Dem establishment. If they don't then this poo poo's an act, if they do then this poo poo probably still is an act, but maybe the shellacking he'll get from people who were supposedly on his side will kill his brain worms.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's giving Daou way, way to much intellectual credit to assume this is an elaborate ruse instead of a (probably to late) attempt to make up for embarrassing himself

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't care if he's in bad faith if he's going to demand that the Democrats stop being worthless or be replaced

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

anime was right posted:

do not trust daou

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thank you for the new thread title Petey D.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

Peter belongs to us now

gently caress you

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Maybe the libs will learn from this?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

has a die-in ever convinced anyone of anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shear Modulus posted:

has a die-in ever convinced anyone of anything

It made publix poo poo their pants and pull all donations from republican candidates in florida

• Locked thread