Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know when that was published? I like it a lot but I also can't help but feel like it boils down to "What if Rocky but superheroes?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Alacron posted:

Does anyone know when that was published? I like it a lot but I also can't help but feel like it boils down to "What if Rocky but superheroes?"

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Two-In-One_Annual_Vol_1_7

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Calaveron posted:

They don’t make comics like they used to

Also if memory serves the Dial M for Monkey Dexter's Lab spin-off had a parody of this that pretty much went exactly the same as this

ManiacClown posted:

It was indeed an homage to this (Marvel Two-in-One Annual #7). They even gave Tom Defalco a writing credit for the episode. Rasslor's speech to Monkey as he spares Earth mirrors Champion's exactly.

And Rasslor was voiced by none other than The Macho Man himself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Onmi posted:

That is an incredibly bigoted, american-centric and narrow minded statement

Uh, not really. Wrestling is an ugly business the world over.

Calaveron posted:

They don’t make comics like they used to

Also if memory serves the Dial M for Monkey Dexter's Lab spin-off had a parody of this that pretty much went exactly the same as this

It's honestly a better version of the story because the original 2 in 1 had to come up with BS excuses to exclude characters stronger than the Thing. In Dial M For Monkey Rasslor straight up crushes every other superhero. As classic as the story is, it somewhat undercuts itself by adding an asterisk next to Thing being the toughest and most determined superhero.

Infinitum posted:

Also John Cena

John Cena is alive and not racist.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 16, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

purple death ray posted:

Alive, not racist, or a good wrestler, you can only pick 2.

Except for the Rock obviously.

The rock is a Republican and has said some homophobic and transphobic poo poo on insta in the past sorry

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

The rock is a Republican and has said some homophobic and transphobic poo poo on insta in the past sorry

How recent? like 80% of straight people who support gay/trans rights were super bigots in the 90's. Friends had a gay marriage in their first season and also so many cringeworthy moments regarding the same thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Last time I saw he was talking about some men in dresses poo poo while he was filming jumanji or rampage or one of those and that's when I gave up and unfollowed

So, much more recently than the 90s

site fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 16, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Last time I saw he was tayking about some men in dresses poo poo while he was filming jumanji or rampage or one of those and that's when I gave up and unfollowed

So, much more recently than the 90s

That sucks then.

John Cena is still untainted isn't he?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

That sucks then.

John Cena is still untainted isn't he?

He has said some homophobic poo poo in the past but does seem to genuinely want to make it right for doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdK8hBkR3s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You mean other than willingly working for Vince McMahon?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

site posted:

He also fellated the architect of the current atrocities in Yemen on social media as part of a massive propaganda campaign to improve American views of Saudi Arabia

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Sami Zayn was kept out of the Saudi Arabia show because he has a foundation to help victims of the Syrian war. Much like most businesses, the owner is a poo poo bird but the employees aren't always.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I don't blame football players for their team's lovely loving owners.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

"Willingly" is a bit strong considering the state of the industry. It's like saying someone is willingly printing their comic through Diamond.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dial M for Monkey had a great Galactus homage too

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Push El Burrito posted:

Sami Zayn was kept out of the Saudi Arabia show because he has a foundation to help victims of the Syrian war. Much like most businesses, the owner is a poo poo bird but the employees aren't always.

And then Sami showed up on Raw a few weeks later to be part of a real lovely segment where he paraded around dudes in dresses and passed them off as another wrestler's sisters. The dude is probably a shitbird as well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cabbit posted:

And then Sami showed up on Raw a few weeks later to be part of a real lovely segment where he paraded around dudes in dresses and passed them off as another wrestler's sisters. The dude is probably a shitbird as well.

More likely it's just part of the recurring "Vince finds crossdressing funny" thing

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That and you're supposed to boo the things he does.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I dunno if kink-shaming a dude who could literally fold you like a pretzel is very healthy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I dunno if kink-shaming a dude who could literally fold you like a pretzel is very healthy.

Wrestlers unfortunately are often rather lacking in common sense

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What if kink-shaming is his kink? :colbert:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think it's Father's Day in some countries, might as well be topical

(from Planetary/Batman: Night On Earth)

(The Punisher but I don't remember which issue and googling only brings me garbage edgy images)

The entirety of Matt Fraction's FF is a good heartwarming piece not only on fatherhood but on diverse kinds of families coming together and loving each other.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

The entirety of Matt Fraction's FF is a good heartwarming piece not only on fatherhood but on diverse kinds of families coming together and loving each other.

Hickman's F4 run is at it's core, all about the importance of having a father in your life and it's the best message comics can convey.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samuringa posted:

(The Punisher but I don't remember which issue and googling only brings me garbage edgy images)
That's from one of the last Punisher's Armory books.

Can you imagine 2018 Marvel publishing a comic about gun fetishization?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

That's from one of the last Punisher's Armory books.

Can you imagine 2018 Marvel publishing a comic about gun fetishization?

Honestly, probably yeah. I mean, problematic as he is, Marvel still publishes Punisher comics and makes him movies and TV shows. And no matter how you try and paint him as a guy who's seriously hosed in the head, they always have him kill worse people. And even if they don't go into specific detail about the guns, Punisher is basically all about weapons fetishization.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

Honestly, probably yeah. I mean, problematic as he is, Marvel still publishes Punisher comics and makes him movies and TV shows. And no matter how you try and paint him as a guy who's seriously hosed in the head, they always have him kill worse people. And even if they don't go into specific detail about the guns, Punisher is basically all about weapons fetishization.

One thing i wished the current punisher run would actually talk about (in case youre not reading it frank is running around in rhodeys war machine armor) is that the marvel universe had a power armored death machine running around killing people for the government and everyone thinks of that guy as a hero

But frank puts it on and whoa

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That almost makes up for the previous 5 issues worth of story being terrible.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Samuringa posted:

I think it's Father's Day in some countries, might as well be topical

This is why I read comics. They make me believe in the unbelievable. Like superheroes, love and parents.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gavok posted:

Kingdom Come had a lot of cool subtle touches in it, but this is my favorite. One of the characters is Ibn al Xu'ffasch, who is identified as the inheritor of Ra's Al Ghul's empire. He is Damian Wayne years before Morrison would coin the name. While the translation of his name ("Son of the Bat"), the comic's sequel and all the supplements of the story spell out who he is, I don't believe it's ever stated in Kingdom Come itself that he's Bruce's kid. There's even speculation due to his background appearances in some panels that he's Bruce's mole into Luthor's group of villains.

Anyway, Kingdom Come #4 ends with Batman turning Wayne Manor into a hospital to care for those affected by a nuclear bomb. All those in Luthor's group are forced to work for him and have to wear special collars to keep them in check (except Damian, supporting the mole argument). I cropped out the page to show a really subtle moment between Bruce and Damian.

Awww...

Speaking of Batman and Damian, this is from Batman and Robin #16. Bruce has just come back from being "dead" and sees that Damian -- who could have gone either way -- is Robin. After the two of them and Dick fight some bad guys, we get this.

The line, "You made the right choices. I'm proud of you," is nice on its own, but it's the two panels before that sell it. Bruce realizes that while Damian was in his shoes in losing his father and becoming inspired to become something better for it, he also recognizes that Damian is living Bruce's dream of having his father come back to him. He doesn't just tell him this because he means it, but because it's also exactly what he would want to hear from his own father in the same situation.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mike From Nowhere posted:

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Geoff Johns, but I have to admit: this might be the best thing he's ever written.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Finally found the one I was looking for.

Happy Father's Day!

TwoPair posted:

Secret Warriors #10 diverts completely from the book's normal story of following Fury and - well, the Secret Warriors - to tell Phobos's backstory. To make a long story short, he was tricked into killing Ares, and that's kind of how he got his god powers. But after Ares resurrects (as gods are wont to do), they just spend time as father and son:

The rest of the issue deals with Ares taking Phobos to a big inter-pantheon meeting to decide whether he gets to be a full-fledged god or whether they're going to off him. They let him pass, and Phobos goes back to working for Fury, which by the way, Ares hates (which is fine since Phobos doesn't like Ares working for the Dark Avengers). But eventually, Ares dies during Siege, and soon after, Phobos is killed by the Gorgon while the rest of the Warriors escape the crumbling mountain base of HYDRA. The whole thing closes with this sweet scene:

These are from Secret Warriors #22

That little scene just makes me tear up after Ares was such a hardass in pretty much every other scene he was featured in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

One thing i wished the current punisher run would actually talk about (in case youre not reading it frank is running around in rhodeys war machine armor) is that the marvel universe had a power armored death machine running around killing people for the government and everyone thinks of that guy as a hero

War Machine mostly killed foreigners.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

War Machine mostly killed foreigners.

When exactly did they shift Rhodey into a killer? Because in his original series he kills a dude and it like, ruins him for the remainder of the regular run until he gets the alen armor that he had for all of 5 issues.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Rhyno posted:

When exactly did they shift Rhodey into a killer? Because in his original series he kills a dude and it like, ruins him for the remainder of the regular run until he gets the alen armor that he had for all of 5 issues.

There was a short-lived War Machine series that took place right after Secret Invasion that had Rhodey killing the living gently caress outta some mooks.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Knives Amilli posted:

There was a short-lived War Machine series that took place right after Secret Invasion that had Rhodey killing the living gently caress outta some mooks.

Was that the black and white one made in Poser?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

A Punisher book talking poo poo about soldiers is even less likely than a Punisher book saying guns suck rear end.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

A Punisher book talking poo poo about soldiers is even less likely than a Punisher book saying guns suck rear end.

Actually a lot of Punisher books feature corrupt authoritarian soldiers as the villains. Frank has gone up against evil squads of US marines and the SAS more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also I think the Punisher's origin itself is arguably cynical about military service. Characters like Reed Richards and Captain America were forged into heroes in the heat of battle, but the Punisher was twisted, shaped and broken by the pointless terror of Vietnam, reflecting the era of his creation's growing cynicism about war.

Now, sure, a lot of his books are oo-rah macho authoritarian fantasies that worship police and military violence, but there are also some more self-aware ones that say, hey, Frank is a broken monster because being a soldier broke him, and that violence reappearing back home in the form of mob violence taking his family sealed the deal. Arguably it's a pretty deft metaphor for shellshocked vets being unable to "turn off" their violence and anger when their war is over.