Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'm not even expecting a spark of curiosity, just some basic rear end thought like "this isn't fun" -> "try something else" rather than "this isn't fun" -> "keep doing it forever".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've seen people call it a design flaw if a game does not stop you from playing it in a safe way that bores you, so I suppose some people are of the opinion that you are obligated to make a horse drink when you lead it to water.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

I've seen people call it a design flaw if a game does not stop you from playing it in a safe way that bores you, so I suppose some people are of the opinion that you are obligated to make a horse drink when you lead it to water.

I can see that being an issue if the game is supposed to be challenging and have a sense of tension.

The aforementioned xcom is a good example. It’s supposed to feel tense since a single death of an experienced soldier can be a major blow to your campaign but in the first game (of the reboot) there is little reason not to just slowly creep forward while overwatching if you want to play it safe.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pomp posted:

I'm just flabbergasted at the complete lack of interest in seeing how far a game will let you push its mechanics, even in a single casual playthrough of a game. I'm not expecting complete system mastery, just like some sort of loving spark of creativity or curiosity. Every time an action game comes around with systems to bend it just flies right over their heads but give them a "cinematic experience" and they're in love

To be fair, if you're getting a bunch of new games for free for work, there's no need to push them to the limit to squeeze all the value for money out of them that you can like if you were paying for them.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

I can see that being an issue if the game is supposed to be challenging and have a sense of tension.

The aforementioned xcom is a good example. It’s supposed to feel tense since a single death of an experienced soldier can be a major blow to your campaign but in the first game (of the reboot) there is little reason not to just slowly creep forward while overwatching if you want to play it safe.

yeah there's a really big difference between playing boring because you want to reduce all risk and playing boring because it's suicide not to negate any risk, like in xcom 1's case

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Considering how "sensitive" game journalism is to any element remotely sexual, I'm surprised no one criticized DmC's sniper abortion or the way it treated its female characters.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this game is going to sell 2 million copies and i'll never get my sparda prequel game :(

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Irrc DMC4 and it's special edition both sold incredibly well. I believe around 4m which was less than 3. DmC was really bad in sales compared to 4 though.

Also about game journalists issue. I am not sure but I just feel like game journalists never liked DMC. They either called it stupid, too hard or too oldschool/traditional design with menus/levels. Game journalists love scripted/cinematic games like Last of Us or Uncharted which are basically Oscar bait but in videogame form.

Ninja Theory also are loved by journalists because journalists/reviewers don't have a time to replay a game or get good at it. Ninja Theory's games are all one and done with some story, easy as gently caress and 0 replay value. So it fits all the criteria's for the perfect journalist game.

Seriously Gamespot reviewed DMC4 6/10 and gave DmC 8/10. It's probably not the same person but still game journalists/reviewers are insufferable. Thats why I only listen to Giantbomb because they don't review anything.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Considering how "sensitive" game journalism is to any element remotely sexual, I'm surprised no one criticized DmC's sniper abortion or the way it treated its female characters.

I was genuinely shocked how badly it handled its female characters.

I know the series as a whole has never been great with female representation (Lady was pretty solid though), but DmC was something else; a character who says she's a cum-dumpster for the villain ("The world is, at last, your bitch, as am I" - actual dialogue), whose value is soley as a baby incubator (which she even admits), and is a supposed meta-critique on plastic surgery?

Fair enough that's meant to be a villain, but Kat was little better. She exists purely as a satellite character love interest, and is just there to provide T&A for Dante and Vergil. Even the artists said something about wanting to make her look sexy with big tits or something (I'm paraphrasing)

And that's not even touching her backstory - or rather, how they handle it. It's just sorta dropped in there that she was molested, and then next mission everything's back to business, and it's never commented on again. It's just so...bad.

I can't remember the context, but I'm sure the point somewhere that (for comparison) while Bayonetta was heavily sexualised, DmC was overtly sexual - no-one ever gets a back-seat blowie in Bayonetta, or gets ram-rodded from behind.

Don't mean to open that can of worms.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It seems to get a free pass when it's equally as guilty if not moreso of disgusting attitudes towards women.

I find it ironic that IGN thinks DMC V is the game with the identity crisis though, when DmC was the game with the identity crisis starting off with being more faithful to classic DMC, Capcom insisting Ninja Theory make it more radical and out there resulting in the reveal trailer which was disliked so much they had to do damage control and change their vision of the game including making DmC Dante more like classic Dante in mannerisms while mocking fans of classic DMC at the same time.

Like, DmC's Dante is a bad character because he's horribly smarmy and unlikeable and an rear end in a top hat who thinks he's funny and witty. I honestly think the reveal trailer of DmC Dante which showed him as a violent, emotionally unstable youth traumatized by abuse growing up would have been more compelling, even if it was nothing like Devil May Cry than the Frankenstein's monster we got because of damage control.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DmC's gameplay was serviceable, like I had an okay time with it. I won't blind myself to the fact that it was fun enough to play trough once.
It just lacked the depth and skillcap of "real" DMC. and this is coming from a person that struggles with anything the first 2 difficulty settings. If even I can see the lack of depth, while struggling at beating the game on the easier settings...

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
DmC suffered from having a lower skill ceiling, bad bosses and a surprisingly bad story, but it was still a fun game. I'd have been okay with a DmC2, all things considered, but I'm much, much happier with DMC5.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zedd posted:

DmC's gameplay was serviceable, like I had an okay time with it. I won't blind myself to the fact that it was fun enough to play trough once.
It just lacked the depth and skillcap of "real" DMC. and this is coming from a person that struggles with anything the first 2 difficulty settings. If even I can see the lack of depth, while struggling at beating the game on the easier settings...

Yes I hate DmC not because it is a garbage game it is serviceable like all Ninja Theory games but it is not a DMC game nor is it anything as close to good as them.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Translation of Famitsu's interview with DMC5 staff

https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/8rjw7k/full_translation_of_famitsu_interview/?st=JIHVJW4N&sh=3ecdbc9f

Not a lot of new info though.

I'm getting a kick out of all the people shitposting about V being the Demifiend.

Although in general, all the OC for the series is great.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 17, 2018

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the talking head boss fight made all of the game journalists sit up and go "is this art"

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Lessail posted:

the talking head boss fight made all of the game journalists sit up and go "is this art"

I have a friend who thinks that's the single most artistic statement in this century and the last and every time the entire DMC series comes up I have to listen to them gush endlessly about how you get to kill fox news

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

lol have they played metal gear rising

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Wait why does someone think Sparda and Madame Butterfly are related and Dante's mom was an Umbral witch?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Wait why does someone think Sparda and Madame Butterfly are related and Dante's mom was an Umbral witch?

Why not?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think there was a small bit of lore in Bayonetta that implied Dante's mom was an umbral witch

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CharlestonJew posted:

I think there was a small bit of lore in Bayonetta that implied Dante's mom was an umbral witch

Yeah, one of the books you pick up in Bayo 1 iirc has some cute references to DMC and Dante's mum.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SpazmasterX posted:

There's an item in Bayonetta which references a witch named Eva entering a pact with a Legendary Dark Knight.

quote:

Eva, a truly extraordinary witch, entered into a contract with the legendary dark knight, and then faced the amassed armies of Inferno

There's lots of cute references to DMC in Bayonetta.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestonJew posted:

esperterra posted:

Yeah, one of the books you pick up in Bayo 1 iirc has some cute references to DMC and Dante's mum.

It was the description for the Bracelet of Time

Eva, a truly extraordinary witch, entered into a contract with the legendary dark knight, and then faced the amassed armies of Inferno. These bracelets were made by her hand, and those wearing them are said to become true masters of Witch Time at their very will.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FisheyStix posted:

I have a friend who thinks that's the single most artistic statement in this century and the last and every time the entire DMC series comes up I have to listen to them gush endlessly about how you get to kill fox news

Like I said, Ninja Theory excels at presentation. The idea of that fight, including the way it handled add spawns by making it a live breaking news footage the boss is commenting over is great. The actual fight is trash, consisting or a tedious wave of pathetic enemies that even on the highest difficulty is little more than an unskippable cutscene mixed with jumping over or not jumping into some laser beams. You do this three times then you win

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
God, that loving Fox News fight. I remember games journos and DmC fans GUSHING about that thing. It was certainly pretty and the breaking news section was really cool at first, and then you realize the boss fight is just jumping over things while hitting buttons, then you get to attack the boss while he occasionally does a shockwave you jump over, then you go into his eye and literally wait out a timer until the game will let you continue with the fight. Then you rinse and repeat but there's MORE BUTTONS. Doing that fight in the Bloody Palace is sad because there's not even any dialogue anymore for the news segment part. You're just waiting out an invisible timer.

And that was a lot of people's high point from that game! The boss fights in that game were so awful.

Edit: Having said that, I certainly had some fun with the combat. I especially like Vergil''s playstyle in the DLC. I'll take DmC any day over DMC2... I guess that's not really saying much though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's an item in Bayonetta which references a witch named Eva entering a pact with a Legendary Dark Knight.

There's lots of cute references to DMC in Bayonetta.

Also I forgot if this happens in the other DMC games but in DMC1 Dante's shadow shows his devil form and Bayonetta's shadow also shows her "demon".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

AccountingNightmare posted:

Having said that, I certainly had some fun with the combat. I especially like Vergil''s playstyle in the DLC. I'll take DmC any day over DMC2... I guess that's not really saying much though.

IIRC, a lot of the reviewers praising Dante's gameplay hated Vergil's - and the reverse was true in the DmC thread because Vergil actually played very very similarly to his normal counterpart - a lot looser, but it was mostly all there. And they did away with that garbage "Red enemy/Blue enemy" stuff.

DmC's overall gameplay is alright, but it's such a massive backstep in the evolution of the series.

I think the worst overall boss is the final Vergil one, because it had a direct comparison in DMC3, and just plain did not hold up. They didn't even give him a regular attack combo - I heard they fixed that in the updated editions, but drat, how do you gently caress up so badly with that?

DMC2 is just a mindless slog. The behind the scenes is more intriguing; the clear attempts to improve complaints from DMC1 - cramped spaces, lack of mobility, lack of a secondary playable character...and then the fingers curled on the monkey paw, and we ended up with DMC2.

Ulio posted:

Also I forgot if this happens in the other DMC games but in DMC1 Dante's shadow shows his devil form and Bayonetta's shadow also shows her "demon".

Pretty sure it happens in 3 as well.

Other stuff that's referenced, off the top of my head; the DMC1 manual intro is written by Enzo Ferrino (with a vague heavy accent of some kind) - character of the same name is Bayo's informant. Luka's dad's name is Antonio Redgrave. Bayo poses like Trish from the DMC logo in the Witch Trials (I think - Bayo's bloody palace mode). Trish is namedropped as one of Luka's exes (but is actually his cat - who wears a little lightning bolt thing on its collar). Phantom as a lava-spider. Weapons are made from the souls of demons. And in Bayo 2, Demons drop orbs. "Flock off, feather-face", there's probably a ton more - but there's references to drat near everything in Kamiya games.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://webmshare.com/LP5v0 Oh I love the internet :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUVDHEGR31k

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I want this to happen in game when the inevitable Dante vs Nero just for fun rematch fight happens.

Also I desperately want to hear V's music more then any other information about him. We already basically know how Dante's is going to sound like classic DMC music.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A Bayonetta x DMC game would be so good, especially if they had a mode where you could play as the DMC crew with gameplay designed by the Bayo devs and the Bayo crew designed by Capcom.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
One thing DMC did better was the exploration. It was more straight-forward and less frustrating, and looked good. I have a hard time replaying the DMC4 campaign because everything that isn't fighting is underwhelming and boring. I had the same problem with 1 and 3. I'm guessing it's the RE roots that are holding the games back. I hope they fix this in 5.

Edit: That loving dice...

Edit2: Regarding story/characters: Dante imitating Nero's revving was a more clever moment/joke than anything in DMC. I kind of enjoy the gently caress YOU scene just because of how absurd it is, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 17, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress YOU would have been legit funnier if he'd wrote Dante on the clipboard after all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Am I missing something because everyone keeps saying it's his son but I don't remember them every actually saying that

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Am I missing something because everyone keeps saying it's his son but I don't remember them every actually saying that

Silver haired quarter demon man who can use the sword of the silver haired half demon man who was gifted it by his silver haired full demon man and can only be used by members of the bloodline I think I can't recall

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

it was in the DMC4 novelization which is apparently canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
also there is a DMC4 novelization because someone figured a series about superpowered demon hunters doing crazy stunts needed less visuals and more words