Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That reminds me: "drawring" for "drawing" is just

It's

Like ok I get why but

loving hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I used to work with a guy that wouldn't shut up about Elle Fanning when she turned 18 and talking about how great it is that she's "legal" now. When people kept telling him to stop and it makes him sound really weird/pedophilic (since it was obvious his obsession started well before that birthday) you could hear the gears grinding in his head dying to do the "accctually it's ephebophile" defense I'm sure he has used countless times on the internet.

Keep what/who you jerk off to a private subject unless you're in a serious relationship and feel like sharing that information. Literally nobody else wants to know.

I had a roommate like this over a decade ago, skeevy rear end in a top hat that would leer at girls literally half his age. Bear in mind we were both in our late 20s and he didn’t care who was around when he said dirty poo poo about them. He was absolutely shocked at how many of us stopped hanging around him and how quick I found a place and moved out. Last thing I needed was getting caught with some pedo freak inviting some high school girls over.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I had a roommate like this over a decade ago, skeevy rear end in a top hat that would leer at girls literally half his age. Bear in mind we were both in our late 20s and he didn’t care who was around when he said dirty poo poo about them. He was absolutely shocked at how many of us stopped hanging around him and how quick I found a place and moved out. Last thing I needed was getting caught with some pedo freak inviting some high school girls over.

One of my high-school friends was like this, but at least it wasn't 10 year olds. Not that teenagers are any better. At one point I went off on him in public, because he started whispering to me about all hot this one girl was, and she couldn't have been older than maybe 15. I don't remember much about my college years, but I can still remember his creepy voice and whispering what he would do, and how the best part would be, that she already be kind of unsure about it but he could probably persuade her or at least push her into doing it, and how hot it would be that she would kind of maybe like it, but be trying not to.

At least the girl didn't hear, but Jesus Christ what the hell is wrong with people? In what galaxy does it ever make people happy unless you're pure sociopath? The best part was, he didn't understand why I was upset by it, and later told me, but cowslips you're a lesbian so you should totally find her hot! Uh, dude, she's a teenager. The age negates anything else you have to say.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

My "favorite" thing about the skeevy weirdos that obsess about the inevitable age of consent of child actresses is their apparent belief that only the calendar stands between them and conjugal bliss with the object of their obsession

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There is absolutely no way to make counting down to the second somebody becomes legal anything other than creepy. Same thing goes for people that exclusively pursue the barely legal. It's like just...no. sure sometimes a relationship with a big age difference happens and is healthy but the folks that exclusively lust over like people that are 18 to 20 while being a lot older than that are gross and probably predators.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

In defense of those weirdos, I think it's more like "oh boy, she might do an artsy sex scene or pose for Playboy soon, and I will be less likely to go to jail for having leaked nudes of her on my hard drive." Still gross though.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

My "favorite" thing about the skeevy weirdos that obsess about the inevitable age of consent of child actresses is their apparent belief that only the calendar stands between them and conjugal bliss with the object of their obsession

This. At some point, you would realize I would hope, that dating a barely legal, or just turned 18 person when they're old enough to be their parent, you have nothing in common with them! That includes very likely who you want to have sex with.

Peeve: pranking culture, or pranks in general.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The worst of it was the Olson twins where somehow creeps counting down until they were legal was somehow culturally important enough to make it into the news cycle.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

They’re just counting down the days until it’s societally acceptable to masturbate to the thought of such a thing

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

walrusman posted:

In defense of those weirdos, I think it's more like "oh boy, she might do an artsy sex scene or pose for Playboy soon, and I will be less likely to go to jail for having leaked nudes of her on my hard drive." Still gross though.

Uh that’s not a defense.

And why would you say “in defense of [gross pedophiles]” ?
:thunk:

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Jun 15, 2018

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

aigs for eggs

how else do you pronounce eggs?????? every post/website I see about this doesn't clear anything up

ehg???

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Snoo posted:

how else do you pronounce eggs?????? every post/website I see about this doesn't clear anything up

Like "beg" without the B, or "greg" without the G, or "segue" without the S or the "way".

As opposed to "vague" without the V, which is (I assume) how Brawnfire meant.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

those all sound like 'aig' :(

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

The Snoo posted:

ehg???

eh-gh, but in one syllable

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Snoo posted:

those all sound like 'aig' :(

Like this audio clip. /ɛɡ/ as opposed to /eɪɡ/.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A special one is saying "pellow" instead of "pillow", since it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular region and just kind of happens randomly. Sometimes you'll hear both pronunciations within the same household.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but it happened to me again today: people calling all watches "smart watches". I got complimented on my "smart watch"... while I was winding it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I’m gonna change the subject and complain that THE CITY SPEED LIMIT IS 30 SO WHY THE gently caress DOES EVERYONE GO 15-20?!?!!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So far at my side gig of working at a gas station, I've found little in the way of pet peeves, except three things (well, they all tie into each other):

- The Lotto machine we have has, like, eighty buttons on it. I'm quickly getting the hang of it, but there's still a lot of situations where what the customer tells me isn't translating in my head to what I need to press, and its kinda annoying

- The Lotto-heavy customers are the only major group of customers that are assholes. Everyone else has been nice, understanding of me slowly wrapping my head around stuff I've only got the basic grasp of, whatever. Lotto people? Heaven For loving Bid I need to tell them to slow down because rapidly saying 'pick four straight box dollar 1453 pick three straight 6423 and four dollars on mega and eight on little lotto' is something that I need to go through a little slower than their ability to speak it. They all seem like the kind of people who got mad at their kids for "going too fast" when they were trying to teach them The Google.

- Correction of the last one: I do get annoyed at customers who try and ask for change for a hundo, or buy a goddamned candy bar with said hundo. If I can break it and keep enough cash in my till, fine. If I can't, no amount of you getting pissy is going to magically summon it into my drawer. Especially when if its the beginning of my goddamned shift.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Jun 15, 2018

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I will agree that people paying for one or two inexpensive items with a $100 bill is so loving! annoying! hope u like getting a bunch of fives I guess

Tiggum posted:

Like this audio clip. /ɛɡ/ as opposed to /eɪɡ/.

they literally all have the same sound to me, or at least the difference isn't drastic or noticeable enough, unlike 'warsh' or something

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

So far at my side gig of working at a gas station, I've found little in the way of pet peeves, except three things (well, they all tie into each other):

- The Lotto machine we have has, like, eighty buttons on it. I'm quickly getting the hang of it, but there's still a lot of situations where what the customer tells me isn't translating in my head to what I need to press, and its kinda annoying

- The Lotto-heavy customers are the only major group of customers that are assholes. Everyone else has been nice, understanding of me slowly wrapping my head around stuff I've only got the basic grasp of, whatever. Lotto people? Heaven For loving Bid I need to tell them to slow down because rapidly saying 'pick four straight box dollar 1453 pick three straight 6423 and four dollars on mega and eight on little lotto' is something that I need to go through a little slower than their ability to speak it. They all seem like the kind of people who got mad at their kids for "going too fast" when they were trying to teach them The Google.

- Correction of the last one: I do get annoyed at customers who try and ask for change for a hundo, or buy a goddamned candy bar with said hundo. If I can break it and keep enough cash in my till, fine. If I can't, no amount of you getting pissy is going to magically summon it into my drawer. Especially when if its the beginning of my goddamned shift.

Wait until somebody comes in and blames you, personally, because their ticket lost.

Scratch offs are the worst for that. I had multiple people demand a refund because they bought $60 of scratchies and they all lost.

Don't look at the odds on lotto. Just don't. Scratchies especially. Part of the reason I had to quit convenience store work was because selling scratchies to people who very obviously could barely afford to keep themselves fed just struck me as far too exploitative.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Some twat on my street did all 10 of their scratch cards while walking home then I guess ripped them up and threw them into the air in despair because they’ve been blowing around the road all week. Bad at judging odds and a litterbug :argh:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I've noticed a few types of customers/comments getting on my nerves in the retail-customer-service world:

"I came in at midnight and there was only one cashier open and three other people were in line! I waited fifteen whole minutes and I am outraged!" Well no poo poo! It's midnight! Use self-checkout if you don't like the line!

Oh, but wait...

"You're making me scan and bag my own groceries?? That means I'M doing YOUR job! I should get the employee discount!" Yeah, maybe if you stand there for ten hours scanning everyone else's poo poo too. Then we'll talk, you entitled rear end.

"Your website said this was in stock, so I drove an hour to the nearest store and they said it wasn't in stock anymore and I had to buy a similar item instead that worked, but not quite the way I needed it to! I demand compensation for my time and gas, a $100 gift card should do it, chop chop." gently caress off.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

Uh that’s not a defense.

And why would you say “in defense of [gross pedophiles]” ?
:thunk:

I'm saying that the thought process isn't, as Pastry of the Year suggested, "X actress is 18 so I'm gonna call her up for a fuckdate now," but more likely "X actress is 18 so there are now legal and potentially socially acceptable avenues by which to see her boobs." Both gross, perhaps, but only one delusional.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MisterBibs posted:

The worst thing is stopping for a six-pack and getting behind one of these idiots.

Pet peeve: Grown adults who need "expert advice" to perform the most basic tasks. For example: going to the police station to have them "properly" install your baby car seat. If you can't read the instructions and figure out how to do it yourself, you probably aren't smart enough to figure out how to raise a child.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cowslips Warren posted:

This. At some point, you would realize I would hope, that dating a barely legal, or just turned 18 person when they're old enough to be their parent, you have nothing in common with them! That includes very likely who you want to have sex with.

At my age, I feel like a skeevy perv even looking at a woman under 30.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MightyJoe36 posted:

The worst thing is stopping for a six-pack and getting behind one of these idiots.

Pet peeve: Grown adults who need "expert advice" to perform the most basic tasks. For example: going to the police station to have them "properly" install your baby car seat. If you can't read the instructions and figure out how to do it yourself, you probably aren't smart enough to figure out how to raise a child.

My peeve is people who refuse to learn how to do something themselves. Like you might be helping your grandma delete an email (or something) and you start to show them which buttons to press to do it for next time and they get all flustered and said "oh forget about it i'll just call you again". People who insist they are incapable of learning new things are incredibly frustrating because it's not even true, you see them learn new things all the time. They certainly didn't have any problems "learning" about the various crimes of obama/the clintons the past couple years.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Like you might be helping your grandma delete an email (or something) and you start to show them which buttons to press to do it for next time and they get all flustered and said "oh forget about it i'll just call you again".

Any excuse to repost this is a good one:

quote:

Widmar said her mother still does not grasp the difference between the Internet and e-mail.

"Whenever she wants to send me an e-mail, she says she's going to Internet me," Widmar said. "I think that's because we use AOL, so she has to log onto the Internet to do her e-mailing. Then there's chat rooms, which she thinks is e-mail. I just pray she never finds out about message boards. That'll throw her whole world into a tailspin."

(link)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thin Privilege posted:

I’m gonna change the subject and complain that THE CITY SPEED LIMIT IS 30 SO WHY THE gently caress DOES EVERYONE GO 15-20?!?!!

Do you live in the greater Cincinnati area too? This poo poo drives me nuts around here, especially when it rains or just looks like water might fall from the sky because then everyone drops even slower.

MisterBibs posted:

There's a dude that hangs out at the bar I like to go to that will get really loving pissed if you're at the Keno machine in front of him. He literally sits there for hours at a time drinking gin and generally being an all around impatient rear end in a top hat while he plays Keno. He can't just throw down for 20 draws or whatever, it's like two at a time then he has to go back to the machine and pick all new numbers based upon what he sees as "hot." Keno players are weird in general, they're always sitting there trying to outsmart a random number generator.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I've noticed a few types of customers/comments getting on my nerves in the retail-customer-service world:

"Your website said this was in stock, so I drove an hour to the nearest store and they said it wasn't in stock anymore and I had to buy a similar item instead that worked, but not quite the way I needed it to! I demand compensation for my time and gas, a $100 gift card should do it, chop chop." gently caress off.

I got this one last week:

"There was a sign saying it was $79 this morning, and it's $119 now, can I get it for $79?"
This was around 6pm, we have a policy that if there's still a sign advertising it at a sale price we have to honor it, but that sign had been long removed, so no of course you can't.

Of course this also means that people will move signs around so I have to verify these things, and if it's valid (IE, sale sign not removed) call a manager to come reduce the price.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The Snoo posted:

they literally all have the same sound to me

East coast? If so, anything with an 'a' or 'e' sound is going to sound super crazy to everyone else. Aigs in a baig.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So what do you want to do?

Oh I dunno, you pick something.

Go see a movie?

Nah.

Go get some food?

Not hungry.

Play a game/go shopping/go people watch/feed birds at the lake?

Nah...

loving PICK SOMETHING OR STOP ASKING ME TO FIND SOMETHING TO DO.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
People who try to start conversations with you on public transportation when you have your headphones in.

I'm sure 99% of them are nice friendly people! But I don't want to accidentally engage with that 1% of people who decide to tell me about, like, their foot fetish or chemtrails or whatever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just pretend I can't hear them.

Also I've had people interrupt when reading a book. Asking about what the book is, what it's about etc. How about you go gently caress yourself?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ghost emoji posted:

People who try to start conversations with you on public transportation when you have your headphones in.

I'm sure 99% of them are nice friendly people! But I don't want to accidentally engage with that 1% of people who decide to tell me about, like, their foot fetish or chemtrails or whatever.

Even if it's someone without headphones in, just keep to yourself. I don't go on public transport to strike up a conversation, i'm going somewhere, do what the rest of the people are doing and stay silent and either stare out the window or cast disapproving glances at the people talking. Especially in the early morning. A silent tram is a happy tram.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Games that constantly release enormous updates, even well after they are done adding content. I thought hey I'm going to play some black ops 3 tonight, but nope, a loving 7 gigabyte update is queued up. What the hell is this update? It's not a new map set, they were done adding those a couple years ago. Probably some stupid loving thing I'm not going to even use.

Release your games when they are done. Stop with the drat weekly DLC bullshit.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
About a year ago I was finally diagnosed with autism, which is finally all the loving excuse I need when I try and tell people that these things make these entirely absolutely unbearable for me:

Movies, videos, streams, etc. with lovely editing. Once upon a time there was an aesthetic standard in film that said you can't cut to another short that is less than 30% different than the one that immediately preceded it (I'm not sure of the quote, origin, or what, so this quote or standard might be apocryphal but you can still see it practiced and for good reason because...) because otherwise it looks like there was a hatchet taken to the film and it looks ugly and stupid. I get that now everyone wants to upload their stupid loving faces online as quickly as possible, but seeing YouTube videos that have every single second of dead air, every single mistake, every single bad delivery or whatever just cut out and then pasted together gives the whole thing the presentation of an essay composed entirely of 90s AOL chat speak. Like, I get it, you can get the message across, but the delivery is so hideous and jarring that I simply can't watch it. It's agony to me. I mean, maybe it's hip or cool to some people and maybe even enjoyable, but for me it defies what I think of when I think of presentation and... and not really in a directly ironic way, it's not like this is subverting the standard. It's just lazy, awful, lovely editing. And what really, really pisses me off is that a lot of people don't even notice it. I point it out, and then they see, oh yeah, wow, this guy just hacks away every split second of dead air and now looks and sounds like goddamn loving Max loving Headroom. But they notice it, then don't care. I care. Christ, it bothers me.

Also:

Videos in slow motion that either: a) don't show the video ever in regular motion or b) show the video in slow motion, first. I'm usually most interested in seeing something done at normal speed. If I'm really that interested, I'd like to see it again in slow motion. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS IS NOT THE STANDARD

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

credburn posted:

Videos in slow motion that either: a) don't show the video ever in regular motion or b) show the video in slow motion, first. I'm usually most interested in seeing something done at normal speed. If I'm really that interested, I'd like to see it again in slow motion. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS IS NOT THE STANDARD

Completely agreed. Even the most badass stunt in the world is going to look unimpressive when viewed at 10% speed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Completely agreed. Even the most badass stunt in the world is going to look unimpressive when viewed at 10% speed.

Oh you didn't just trash the SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, did you?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Slow motion used for thematic effect can be excused as there's some artistic intention behind it, whereas slow motion videos of neat stunts are designed just to show off the intricacies of said stunt that can't really be seen in normal motion. Generally I've found that a slow motion recap of a fast scene loses most of its context for me if I don't see it normal, first.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Games that constantly release enormous updates, even well after they are done adding content. I thought hey I'm going to play some black ops 3 tonight, but nope, a loving 7 gigabyte update is queued up. What the hell is this update? It's not a new map set, they were done adding those a couple years ago. Probably some stupid loving thing I'm not going to even use.

Release your games when they are done. Stop with the drat weekly DLC bullshit.
I'm in favour of updates because I'd rather my games work properly, but I want to know what they actually did. It just makes it feel much more worthwhile if I get a screen saying "Fixed bug that sometimes caused crashes during startup on certain graphics settings" or whatever. Even if it doesn't apply to me I can appreciate that that was a problem for some people and it's good that it's fixed.

This applies even more to Windows updates. If you're going to interrupt me with this oh-so-important update that needas to reboot my computer, at least tell me what the gently caress it is.

credburn posted:

I mean, maybe it's hip or cool to some people and maybe even enjoyable
I don't know about hip or cool, but I like that YouTube editing style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

I don't know about hip or cool, but I like that YouTube editing style.

Can I ask why -- and, if I can also, what your age is? I ask because I'm 34 now, and I suspect that this editing style came more into popularity among streamers whose audience is mostly kids, or younger teens. Maybe this is a generational thing; I don't typically see people my age or older with that editing style.

Edit: And also, too late I'm sure, I didn't mean to imply you're a kid. I just meant you're probably younger than I. But maybe I should shut up :\

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Jun 17, 2018