Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I tell myself as I casually consider that I can get rid of the FiST easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, what's the catch? I can liquidate 2 of my stupid cars and buy that with the resulting funds and quadruple that quadrant of the fleet's worthiness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The catch is automatic :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The beautiful thing about the E46 SMG is that it is the same manual box and can be converted fairly easily and cheaply. The sum of the total of the parts in new OEM form are under $1k.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BlackMK4 posted:

The beautiful thing about the E46 SMG is that it is the same manual box and can be converted fairly easily and cheaply. The sum of the total of the parts in new OEM form are under $1k.

Yeah that's true, but its a fair bit of work to swap it out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
drat i love that color and that price

also calling the BC coilovers "coilers" is a pretty good own on the quality of their stuff

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
insert poomoji here

e: VIN is WBSBL93456PN64898

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 15, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
143k miles and the wrong transmission, it's priced about right.

Looks super clean and a rare(ish) colour though.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BlackMK4 posted:

insert poomoji here

e: VIN is WBSBL93456PN64898

Never had rod bearings done as far as I can tell

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nodoze posted:

Never had rod bearings done as far as I can tell

Yeah, he didn't seem to have much to say when I emailed him.

There is this one too
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/2002-bmw-m3-e46/6607125764.html

e: yes, automotive adhd has kicked in, i know, i know, but the S2000 is staying.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 15, 2018

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I see really good prices on E46 M's and just assume they are going to need $5K to get refreshed including things like rod bearings, subframe repairs and some other major maintenance component (Cooling/valve adjustment/suspension).

Unrelated: on my cruise last week I asked another member if he could bring his Carly adapter to code some stuff like in-motion DVD and also to get rid of the legal disclaimer at startup. The best thing was get rid of all the stupid gongs/chimes. It is so nice to just get in and start the car and hear...nothing.

There are so many things you can do, but all I wanted was the DVD/chimes/disclaimer gone. I didn't care about all the lighting/mirrors/windows stuff. A+ experience, removing some lines of code definitely made my ///M3 faster.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

What is the going rate for an '04 ZHP coupe 6 speed with 106k on it? People are prouder of ZHPs than M3s these days it seems like.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 15, 2018

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Junk yard story from this morning:

The desired parts to acquire

These dumb fuckers

Find 91 525i.
Check it out a little.
All the speakers are gone. 🤷
Heater valves are gone. Hmm...
There must be someone around here needing E34 parts!
Look up vin to see factory options., maybe it has something neat
S209A Differential Lock 25%
Oh drat!
Time to check it out!

Ah, poo poo. Of course

At least I got enough of those dumb fasteners to get my headlight surround things back on my car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was looking at getting an Audi RS5 Sportback when it comes out in November but the new M550i xDrive is cheaper and come with more features. All the reviews I read seem to indicate that it’s a really nice car.

I know it’s a newer model but are there any early issues with these cars? It seems to be really good value for the money. I figured it would be a lot more expensive.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

What is the going rate for an '04 ZHP coupe 6 speed with 106k on it? People are prouder of ZHPs than M3s these days it seems like.

Why

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

hitze posted:

S209A Differential Lock 25%

My 93' 525i had this, I guess they came with the winter package on Canadian cars. Bar none the funnest winter car I've ever owned. Turn with the throttle, drift all day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was looking at getting an Audi RS5 Sportback when it comes out in November but the new M550i xDrive is cheaper and come with more features. All the reviews I read seem to indicate that it’s a really nice car.

I know it’s a newer model but are there any early issues with these cars? It seems to be really good value for the money. I figured it would be a lot more expensive.

I don't know if they've figured everything out with their turbo V8s, but the F10s were a loving shitshow.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Powershift posted:

I don't know if they've figured everything out with their turbo V8s, but the F10s were a loving shitshow.
Yeah that’s why I asked. It seems that the issue with the F10 V8s was more of a programming thing relating to how the batteries were charged. BMW couldn’t fix it because it would have altered the fuel economy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah that’s why I asked. It seems that the issue with the F10 V8s was more of a programming thing relating to how the batteries were charged. BMW couldn’t fix it because it would have altered the fuel economy.

It was more than just eating batteries. the big service bulletin came out in 2014 for the 2008-2013 and covered

quote:

- check the timing chain for stretch; replace if necessary
- check the following items and replace if necessary: fuel injectors, mass air flow sensors, crankcase vent lines, battery, engine vacuum pump, low pressure fuel sensor
- change the oil service interval to 12 months/10,000 miles

It also added 1 quart to the oil capacity to cover oil consumption.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

To have something to drop an LS into.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
idk, I think some people are loving insane on their asking prices for ZHPs.
The $5-7k area will get you a pretty clean and taken care of ZHP in the 150k area, so scale from there, I guess. At least, that is what I've seen locally and bought at. The 330 came in 6spd in non-zhp config, and can be found for cheaper. Comes down to wanting the ZHP bodywork and alcantara interior as none of the other stuff matters.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, he didn't seem to have much to say when I emailed him

e: yes, automotive adhd has kicked in, i know, i know, but the S2000 is staying.

I mean, I own both so I get that part. However, if it was one or the other the M3 would go. Driving them back to back it's no contest, and that isn't to say the M3 is a lovely car.

Ill post pics soon, but I put my amber LED tails and front corner lights on. I still need to get the turn indicators because they ordered me the bumper reflectors by accident at work so I have to switch that.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 17, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nodoze posted:

I mean, I own both so I get that part. However, if it was one or the other the M3 would go. Driving them back to back it's no contest, and that isn't to say the M3 is a lovely car.
Yeah, the Fiesta ST will be replaced. No real rush, but I think I'd like to replace it with an E46 M3 in the 10k area, if I can find one that isn't completely hosed.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, the Fiesta ST will be replaced. No real rush, but I think I'd like to replace it with an E46 M3 in the 10k area, if I can find one that isn't completely hosed.

good luck lol

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

For anyone that remembers my bank 1 misfires from a few pages back, changed out the pre-cat O2 sensors and things are thankfully back to normal.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nodoze posted:

good luck lol

I think being open to SMG turns it from impossible to a matter of patience :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I think being open to SMG turns it from impossible to a matter of patience :v:

Only if you manual swap it

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Manual convert you mean. But good luck finding an E46 M3 for anything less than 16 that runs tolerably.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Only if you manual swap it

He’ll probably do that and refresh the suspension in time to sell it before values go up a lot and then learn he can’t replicate what he had for the price he had it.

Then he’ll finally buy a V8 M3 the way Gott in himmel intended for all. I’m looking forward to that installment in the series.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Somewhat Heroic posted:

He’ll probably do that and refresh the suspension in time to sell it before values go up a lot and then learn he can’t replicate what he had for the price he had it.
That is why I can't sell the S2000, it would cost roughly $30k to duplicate and would sell for probably $15k with patience.

But yes, :smith:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

That is why I can't sell the S2000, it would cost roughly $30k to duplicate it at this point.

But yes, :smith:

Well it’s good you’re learning! S2000’s have been on a run over the last 12 months. Watching bring a trailer has shown clean ones fetch well over 20k all day long.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Wrar posted:

But good luck finding an E46 M3 for anything less than 16 that runs tolerably.

I got incredibly lucky with mine

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 18, 2018

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
My buddy's incredibly well maintained e36/7 for sale in the Atlanta northern burbs. All the usual stuff addressed, about the only thing I'd do to it if I bought it would be to take it to Forbes to have the subframe kit done, but I was in there with him when he pulled the rear most recently and there are ZERO issues. He did the respray, so I'd call it a 10 footer, but its definitely quality overall, just appreciate Laguna for what it is, it is no show car. I wish I had the cash, but alas. Will vouch for a goon and he knows of AI through my sending him poo poo through the years.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/2000-bmw-z3-roadster/6620207421.html

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Crunchy Black posted:

My buddy's incredibly well maintained e36/7 for sale in the Atlanta northern burbs. All the usual stuff addressed, about the only thing I'd do to it if I bought it would be to take it to Forbes to have the subframe kit done, but I was in there with him when he pulled the rear most recently and there are ZERO issues. He did the respray, so I'd call it a 10 footer, but its definitely quality overall, just appreciate Laguna for what it is, it is no show car. I wish I had the cash, but alas. Will vouch for a goon and he knows of AI through my sending him poo poo through the years.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/2000-bmw-z3-roadster/6620207421.html

Jeez, I had no idea Z3MRs were in this price range, albeit with a rebuilt title (even though it looks to be in great shape). Great color combo too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Used car captain's log, supplemental:

Replaced the brake rotors, pads, fluid, steering fluid, oil and tires on the E46 M3. Handles much better now, those old bald tires and squeaky school bus brakes were no good.

Was hoping to get some track time this weekend, unfortunately its developed some groan at low speed turns that sounds like the diff is on the way out.

Took it into the shop hoping that I may be able to get away with just changing the diff fluid or adding some additive, but the tech said he saw some shavings in the old oil and the diff is probably dead.

Ouch. :rip:

Gonna cost a bit to get a new diff, probably going to have them do the subframe reinforcement at the same time. Gonna add up to a bunch, but should be in good shape after that at least.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Check your VANOS tabs before you get another expensive bill

also you might as well just go OS Giken if you're replacing the diff with new

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

also you might as well just go OS Giken if you're replacing the diff with new

Know where I can get one for a reasonable price? Trying to source diffs now. How much of an upgrade would the Giken be?

Also should I consider loving with the gear ratios or no?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Timed shirt. Get it while you can or whatever.

https://cottonbureau.com/products/the-bavarian-icon

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Zaphod42 posted:

Know where I can get one for a reasonable price? Trying to source diffs now. How much of an upgrade would the Giken be?

Also should I consider loving with the gear ratios or no?

alright, let's be real. I'd buy a used diff from a salvage yard, take it somewhere to have new clutch plates installed, pop it in when it is convenient while I drive the current diff, and sell the old one.

What does this groan sound like though? Usually these things just stop locking up as well and MAYBE they make some pinion noise after a ton of miles, but I would be looking at the diff bolts first to see if one has broken and it is flexing on what remains mounted.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

alright, let's be real. I'd buy a used diff from a salvage yard, take it somewhere to have new clutch plates installed, pop it in when it is convenient while I drive the current diff, and sell the old one.

What does this groan sound like though? Usually these things just stop locking up as well and MAYBE they make some pinion noise after a ton of miles, but I would be looking at the diff bolts first to see if one has broken and it is flexing on what remains mounted.

I dunno its like a rubbing / shuddering sound, only at low speed and only when turning. It sounds pretty bad though. If I'm going very fast at all it sounds totally fine, even if I turn.

I was hoping I could just replace the fluid, maybe I'll try driving it for awhile after the fluid's changed and see if it improves. But the guy at the shop seemed to think I need a new diff pretty bad, and said he saw some tiny bits of metal in the old fluid. :(