Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sure, but I'm curious about the process. What are the actual nitty-gritty details of serving Paimon, what kind of benefits do you receive, and how does it affect your afterlife? I mean, if you're granted a sweet place in hell then it's frankly a pretty good deal.

tomorrow ill dig out my lesser key of solomon and book of abramelin

goetic demons all pretty much offer the same things: wealth, knowledge, telling of future events, etc., the art is in choosing the right one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Kinda strange to let an old lady breast feed the child. Really the whole movie could of been solved just with some common sense.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Tenzarin posted:

Kinda strange to let an old lady breast feed the child. Really the whole movie could of been solved just with some common sense.

Personally speaking, I drink old mama titty milk and can tear a bible in half with my bare hands, am definitely not afraid of the police.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

Tenzarin posted:

Abusive families rarely do things that make sense to an outside observer. That's how it meshes with horror so easily.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Someone brought a loving toddler into this movie and it kept talking. Other than that I loved it. Lots of moments where I heard people whispering "Jesus Christ" and "the gently caress?" Under their breath. Also had a genuine scream at one point.

Also, I'm so glad this movie didnt follow the standard horror beats where the characters discover the weaknesses and logic to the supernatural. It just is.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 16, 2018

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah the grandma didn't literally feed Charlie with her breast milk, its a metaphor for how she insinuated her way into having a manipulative relationship with her grandchild.

DessertStorm
Aug 9, 2013

Ok, curious about which of these is more apt-

Is this the final piece in the Modern Horrors of Motherhood trilogy?

1. The Babadook (2014)
2. The VVitch (2015)
3. Hereditary (2018)

OR, is this the final piece in the Distinctly American Horrors of Femininity trilogy?

1. It Follows (2015)
2. The VVitch (2015)
3. Hereditary (2018)

I've seen Hereditary conflated with all three movies, but what is the best trilogy? :abrathink:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DessertStorm posted:

1. The Babadook (2014)
2. The VVitch (2015)
3. Hereditary (2018)

OR, is this the final piece in the Distinctly American Horrors of Femininity trilogy?

1. It Follows (2015)
2. The VVitch (2015)
3. Hereditary (2018)

I've seen Hereditary conflated with all three movies, but what is the best trilogy? :abrathink:

second trilogy. i think It Follows is a much better film than the Babadook, but Hereditary is by far my favourite of the three

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!
Most of the dioramas were self explanatory (if somewhat screwed up), but did anyone glean any explanation for the preschool diorama?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Considering this movie got trimmed down by an hour, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a reference to something that we’re just not shown in the current version.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Holy poo poo, this movie.

I loved the detailed close up revealing that the miniature house beside the stairs is actually perched upon the ruins of other tiny houses when everything starts going sideways.
:discourse:

It's just so unnerving and invasive, making you believe that Annie is just an abusive mentally ill person having a breakdown and simultaneously sympathizing with and reviling her for her situation with her children. Then the gut punch that she is also being manipulated and the film itself has been mirroring that experience for its audience.

My first impression on seeing the last scene was that the lingering shots of Peter's expression of confusion and disquiet were due to the process not working. Ghosts (or whatever power Charlie had in and of herself) were real in this reality but demons are not. As in Peter is inhabited by Charlie (he clucks his tongue when he rises after the the defenestration) and a cabal of insane people murder children and their families for their absurd dress up games. The headless body reorientation towards Peter made me think that Paimon had actually been riding along the entire time, though.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I saw this last night but it took a good nights sleep to pull my thoughts together.

Parts of this movie had me aghast, hand over mouth just wide eyed at the screen. From the time Peter left the party all the way till Charlie is placed in the ground the theater was quite save for the soft crying of my girlfriend.

I'm a newish parent, she's 3, and this movie really twists the blade by building up Charlie's role in the trailer, then we watch her die and I think the most agonizing part it's not seeing the Mother find Charlie.

I'm going to have to see it again but not for a bit.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DessertStorm posted:

1. The Babadook (2014)
2. The VVitch (2015)
3. Hereditary (2018)

Mama is a better mom-horror movie than the Babadook or the VVitch. I mean The VVitch is great but that's not really its main thrust

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I am surprised to not see more comparisons to Neon Demon.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

acksplode posted:

Guilt over keeping her away from Peter after he was born. And probably demonic manipulation poo poo.

Unrelated, a couple other things that jumped out at me after my second viewing but I forgot to mention: When Annie is consoling Charlie after the funeral at the beginning, before she sees SATONY on the wall, she mentions that Charlie has never cried, even as an infant. And when Annie's at the group therapy session and going into her family history, at the end of her monologue she says that she feels "blamed", but she doesn't know what for. It seems to me like she's under some sort of spell that's loading her with undeserved guilt, to make her easier to manipulate. Like a supernatural form of gaslighting.

There may well be some supernatural source of the feelings of blaming that Anne (Annie?) feels, but I don't think it's necessary. It's a hallmark of abuse victims to feel excessive amounts of blame, guilt, and shame in regards to just about everything. I think what's really significant is that she feels all this mostly in relation to her mother and it's one of the more subtle aspects of this family's abusive nature. I've already brought up the dinner scene a couple times in this thread and the horror one but it really is significant what's going on there: Anne is trying to place responsibility for her feelings on her son. Children are not responsible for their parents,* and while I don't think it completely dawns on Annie in that moment, it gets the ball rolling for her to realize how abusive that mindset is and eventually decides it's up to her to stop what's happening (but hoooly cow is it the very definition of "too little too late").

*This varies by culture, for sure, but this movie is presenting its own POV, informed by Western culture and sensibilities.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DessertStorm posted:

1. The Babadook (2014)
2. The VVitch (2015)
3. Hereditary (2018)

1. It Follows (2015)
2. The VVitch (2015)
3. Hereditary (2018)

por-que-no-los-dos.gif

Hmmm, how about we place it as the ultimate capstone to the Existential Dread of Western Social Lives in the 2010s QUADRILOGY

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Goddamn this movie was bad. Why did this poo poo need to be 2 hours long. This was like someone said what if I take a goosebumps episode, stretch it out over 2 hours and try to make it seem really deep.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This movie definitely wasn't bad------in many cases the cinematography was beautiful---but I left it underwhelmed. I came in actually not knowing what kind of horror movie this was at all ("genetics horror? like Splice?") but from the wake scene onwards I had gathered what was going on. I don't say that to brag and I'm usually the last one to predict a twist, but in this case I felt like I knew where it was all leading from Act 1 onwards and I turned out to be right. There were still some amazing performances and eerily beautiful photography but the film's pacing is maybe too drawn out if you have an idea where it's leading.

e: There's a specific movie I found myself comparing this to, but I watched it years ago and I can't remember the title.

It's about an older couple that moves into a house somewhere in Canada or maybe Minnesota? Someplace with deep snow. They recently lost their son, who may have been the owner of the house? They discover there's ghosts in the house and call in another couple they know---a pair of aging hippies---for a seance, which quickly goes horrifically wrong?

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 16, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Goddamn this movie was bad. Why did this poo poo need to be 2 hours long. This was like someone said what if I take a goosebumps episode, stretch it out over 2 hours and try to make it seem really deep.

Yea totally man

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Goddamn this post is bad

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Na sorry. There's no reason this movie needed a 2 hour setup for: and grandma was a crazy devil worshiper.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

This movie definitely wasn't bad------in many cases the cinematography was beautiful---but I left it underwhelmed. I came in actually not knowing what kind of horror movie this was at all ("genetics horror? like Splice?") but from the wake scene onwards I had gathered what was going on. I don't say that to brag and I'm usually the last one to predict a twist, but in this case I felt like I knew where it was all leading from Act 1 onwards and I turned out to be right. There were still some amazing performances and eerily beautiful photography but the film's pacing is maybe too drawn out if you have an idea where it's leading.

e: There's a specific movie I found myself comparing this to, but I watched it years ago and I can't remember the title.

It's about an older couple that moves into a house somewhere in Canada or maybe Minnesota? Someplace with deep snow. They recently lost their son, who may have been the owner of the house? They discover there's ghosts in the house and call in another couple they know---a pair of aging hippies---for a seance, which quickly goes horrifically wrong?

You're thinking of We Are Still Here, but I'm not sure why.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

A two hour run time is nothing these days. I welcome it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bring on the three hour directors cut i say

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Irony.or.Death posted:

You're thinking of We Are Still Here, but I'm not sure why.

+A house
+Ghosts!
+Lots of driving

I would need to watch WASH again to actually make any kind of cogent comparison but thanks for reminding me what it was called

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I agree. Did they really need to make the Lords of Salem reboot this long?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I agree that it was a little long. Most shots could probably have had a few seconds shaved off of them without losing anything. I feel the payoff makes up for the length but you don’t know that until it’s over.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Somewhere around the ninety minute mark I realized I had no idea how long it was, which was more terrifying than the movie itself.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I loved this. It was brutal on a level I didn't think I was ready for it but it pulled it off without feeling too melodramatic- there's a real emotional intimacy to the dramatic stuff.

And my God the colors. I loved the look of the film from the start. There are some really memorable shots in this.

As for the pacing, I kinda like it like this? Like it gives all the tragedy room to breathe, and lets the film balance different elements of the story. I guess I just like a horror movie plain starting slow these days, without a straight up "Okay here's the scary thing, it'll come back later" opening.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So, in a different place there was a thread discussing the movie and one person chimed in that it, "Wasn't really horror," on account of most of the movie being family drama and the supernatural stuff came totally out of nowhere. And it didn't SCARE them.

Except for the supernatural element being introduced in the first act and building from there, with a lot of clues as to what was going to happen if you were paying attention.

Like, if you didn't find the movie scary, fine, but a movie with ghosts, demons, satanic cults, disturbing deaths, literally using classic horror devices, etc. somehow isn't a horror movie because it didn't make you jump and you weren't paying attention to the first two acts? Kind of weird.

*edit* wrong tags *edit*

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Somewhere around the ninety minute mark I realized I had no idea how long it was, which was more terrifying than the movie itself.

Yeah holy poo poo the same thing happened to me. At a certain point I remember thinking I didn't know if we had 20 minutes or an hour left.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

weekly font posted:

Yeah holy poo poo the same thing happened to me. At a certain point I remember thinking I didn't know if we had 20 minutes or an hour left.

Yeah same. This movie is awesome though. Easily in the top horror of the last decade.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

I pity anybody who didn’t get to see this in an empty theater like myself. Matinees are the best times for horror movies.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

so was charlie paimon the whole time? like i guess grandma put paimon in charlie but rather had used peter?? also, the strange mark was on the pole that knocked charlies head off, was that before or after the accident? also fuckin lmao at those photos of grandma being showered in gold coins

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

curlys gold posted:

I pity anybody who didn’t get to see this in an empty theater like myself. Matinees are the best times for horror movies.

yeah there were a lot of people in my showing that expected i guess some slasher type film, one person almost walked out.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Budget Dracula posted:

yeah there were a lot of people in my showing that expected i guess some slasher type film, one person almost walked out.

one of the highlights of my movie-attending life was a dude and his girlfriend storming out just after Charlie gets killed, yelling "this is poo poo!"

DessertStorm
Aug 9, 2013

lizardman posted:

por-que-no-los-dos.gif

Hmmm, how about we place it as the ultimate capstone to the Existential Dread of Western Social Lives in the 2010s QUADRILOGY

Extremely good point- Existence Is Pain!

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
Everyone I’ve suggested this to has ended up really disliking it :shrug:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Budget Dracula posted:

so was charlie paimon the whole time? like i guess grandma put paimon in charlie but rather had used peter?? also, the strange mark was on the pole that knocked charlies head off, was that before or after the accident? also fuckin lmao at those photos of grandma being showered in gold coins

The book says that the demon will possess whoever is the most vulnerable. This is why, at the beginning of the movie, it's established that Annie and Peter aren't really affected by their mother/grandmother's death. It fucks up Charlie, though, so Paimon enters her instead of peter. He doesn't want to be there, so the cult arranges things (the symbol is on the telephone pole already when they are on their way TO the party) so that Charlie will die and it will be Peter's fault, theoretically making him the most vulnerable. The mother is the most hosed up by that, though, so she gets possessed next.

(I'm assuming that at this point Paimon / the cult realize what their problem is, and kill the father before Annie kills herself to make sure he doesn't accidentally end up in another less-than-ideal host.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mormon Star Wars posted:

He doesn't want to be there, so the cult arranges things (the symbol is on the telephone pole already when they are on their way TO the party) so that Charlie will die and it will be Peter's fault, theoretically making him the most vulnerable.

So convoluted. I guess they planned him to go to a high school party and also the party would also be baking a cake with nuts. And this family doesn't have an epipen.