Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just saw this and don't really know what to say yet but I'm gonna make a thread because I feel I might have something more to say later and want to hear what other have to say. Here's the trailer (warning: contains some scenes from pretty late in the film)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6wWKNij_1M

God drat this movie...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
God drat about sums up my reaction. I had to sit in my car for a moment while leaving the theater, just to process it. I haven't had a horror movie get under my skin like this is a very long time.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Don't watch the trailer. It's not super important but I remembered nothing from it but the incredibly notable imagery that ended up coming in the third act.

Best family dinner scene since Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Fire Walk With Me?
The miniatures and fake miniature establishing shots were great but didn't really tie into the plot as much as I expected.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The miniatures more establish mood. It establishes the whole movie as a dollhouse where something much greater and unseen is watching from outside, setting up pieces and controlling things with indifference. Annie is trying to keep things together by creating worlds that she can control and look at with indifference while unaware that others are doing the same to her and her family.

Some other random thoughts: In general this movie just combines a ton of themes I like in horror. It's about fear of family, both in terms of being afraid you'll screw up your kids and also being afraid that you can't escape the fate set up for you by your genes. It's a movie where unseen forces are moving character towards a goal that none of them ever fully understand. It's a movie about dealing with extreme grief and how people's inability to do so just makes living much worse. There are just so many bad feelings in this movie all so perfectly brought together into this anguished cry of frustration and confusion. It's a movie that pretty early on just punches you straight in the gut and doesn't let you breathe again. It's a movie that I don't think will affect everyone equally but if you let it get under your skin it will gently caress you up

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

loved it, every bit of it.

did anyone catch what the grief group was talking about the first time Annie approaches them? it sounds like they are talking about a bird, or three birds, then someone says "stop talking about it" as annie gets closer. can't tell if that's just me mishearing and reading into it tho.

great film. will def watch again.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Don't watch the trailer. It's not super important but I remembered nothing from it but the incredibly notable imagery that ended up coming in the third act.

Best family dinner scene since Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Fire Walk With Me?
The miniatures and fake miniature establishing shots were great but didn't really tie into the plot as much as I expected.

Yeah I was really expecting some more scares to come out of those.

I did find it a bit difficult to watch this movie without comparing elements of it to a bunch of other horror films, and I wasn't so sure about the transition from a serious drama about grief, loss, and mental illness to pure supernatural Satanic horror pretty rapidly, but when they fully committed to it in that very end scene it sold me.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Cacator posted:

Yeah I was really expecting some more scares to come out of those.

I did find it a bit difficult to watch this movie without comparing elements of it to a bunch of other horror films, and I wasn't so sure about the transition from a serious drama about grief, loss, and mental illness to pure supernatural Satanic horror pretty rapidly, but when they fully committed to it in that very end scene it sold me.

Annie's headless body floating up into the treehouse got laughs in my theater.

There's no way that wasn't meant to be funny

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

People gasped at that scene in my theater, though the beheading by telephone pole got a laugh from a couple teens in the audience.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Annie's headless body floating up into the treehouse got laughs in my theater.

There's no way that wasn't meant to be funny

It got laughs in mine too, as did when you see her "crawl" back in the house. I think you might be right since the (relatively) chipper music kicks in right afterwards. Would have been better if you just get a glimpse of her body moving inside. The nude cultists showing up in the room got some well deserved gasps though.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
The way the emotional resolution to Charlie's death was dragged out for ages with the long shot on Peter's face before he drives off, gets home, walks up the stairs, gets into bed, lies awake until morning where you finally hear Annie discover the body was absolutely torturous.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Xander B Coolridge posted:

The way the emotional resolution to Charlie's death was dragged out for ages with the long shot on Peter's face before he drives off, gets home, walks up the stairs, gets into bed, lies awake until morning where you finally hear Annie discover the body was absolutely torturous.

Yeah that's the part when the movie started getting under my skin. The shock of that scene and how long it goes on without respite was wonderfully unbearable. The fact that you don't really get anyone even acknowledging what happened to each other until the dinner scene is also it's own torturous tension

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

biggest gasps in the theatre were at the utility pole scene, throwing the book in the fire and the "cluck" when annie's driving home. that one was incredibly well-timed for maximum displeasure

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Easily the most unsettled I've been by a movie since...probably Killing of a Sacred Deer or mother! last year.

It's like this long, slow rollercoaster ride full of palpable pain and anxiety.

Hard recommend to any horror fan.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

...more like Herediscary :dance:

DuckKnight
Mar 5, 2017
I would just like to say that Peter had the best crying I've seen in a horror film. Every time he did the audience burst out laughing. Fantastic film.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DuckKnight posted:

I would just like to say that Peter had the best crying I've seen in a horror film. Every time he did the audience burst out laughing. Fantastic film.
That's the same kid from the new Jumanji movie and the one who played White Hat in that Boston bombing movie, right?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This movie is fuckin' dope. The most impressive thing to me is that a film full of jump scares (and there's some really good ones) there's not one musical sting on any of them.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
This films ability to retrofit, revise, and reverse Greek Tragedy is really impressive. Also, its spooky scary.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snowman_McK posted:

This movie is fuckin' dope. The most impressive thing to me is that a film full of jump scares (and there's some really good ones) there's not one musical sting on any of them.
Jump scares almost never work on me in horror movies, but this one had me springing out of the position I was sitting in on multiple occasions.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jump scares almost never work on me in horror movies, but this one had me springing out of the position I was sitting in on multiple occasions.

When I saw 'Winchester' earlier this year, I thought that movie was good at wrongfooting me and catching me off guard. This is next fuckin' level. Especially since a lot of the scares are in plain sight the whole time. Until they suddenly move. I could hear the spaced out gasps as different people spotted Annie on the ceiling over the bed at different times.

Then again, the movie repeatedly wrongfoots you about what kind of movie you're watching. I guess a jump scare is pretty easy by comparison.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Death By The Blues posted:

This films ability to retrofit, revise, and reverse Greek Tragedy is really impressive. Also, its spooky scary.

Can you expand on that? I think I know what you mean.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
It has elements of Oedipus, Orpheus, and Women of Trachis.

The motif of Orpheus of looking back is expanded a ton in this between the contrast of Peter & Annie. In his pivotal scene unlike Orpheus he refuses to look back and never does in any instance, he is also introduced with a guitar.. While Annie and to an extant Steves lives revolve around looking back/revisiting the past. Her making the dioramas and him being a psychiatrist. Annie also looks back throughout the entire film, when she notices Ann Dowd character, the apparation of her mother, when she stops and looks back at the grief counselling group/Ann Dowd. Peter is also part Oedipus, his eyes are continuously shown to be a focus, they are shown to be gauged out in drawings, and in the original cut they were gauged out.

Going to make a video essay about it, but that and more.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The motif of Orpheus of looking back is expanded a ton in this between the contrast of Peter & Annie. In his pivotal scene unlike Orpheus he refuses to look back and never does in any instance, he is also introduced with a guitar.. While Annie and to an extant Steves lives revolve around looking back/revisiting the past. Her making the dioramas and him being a psychiatrist. Annie also looks back throughout the entire film, when she notices Ann Dowd character, the apparation of her mother, when she stops and looks back at the grief counselling group/Ann Dowd. Peter is also part Oedipus, his eyes are continuously shown to be a focus, they are shown to be gauged out in drawings, and in the original cut they were gauged out.

I noticed how much the camera focuses on faces, on how people react rather than what they're reacting, and figured it was because the camera still in the intimate family drama that comprises the first 30-40 minutes. It doesn't know it's in a horror movie. I really like your reading.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DuckKnight posted:

when he starts to use the word "mommy" in the last few scenes it is heartbreaking and horrifying

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Just out of curiosity, when you refer to the original cut are you referring to what was shown at Sundance or was this something that was never shown? Where is there info on the original cut?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Trying to find the article that mentioned it. Was in an test audience cut, that didn't go over as well.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

The article I read said the original cut was over three hours long, which was mostly more family drama. The director cut it back because he knew audiences wouldn't go for a 3+ hour horror film.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

BrendianaJones posted:

The article I read said the original cut was over three hours long, which was mostly more family drama. The director cut it back because he knew audiences wouldn't go for a 3+ hour horror film.

This is the cut I want to see

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

I would be down with a three hour cut, too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I just saw this movie, when the old lady told the main character lady to read these magic words and not to worry about what language it is. The only words I could think of were,

Klaatu... Barada...

Kinda cool The Lords of Salem got a remake.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 8, 2018

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Best horror movie I've seen in ages, although I think I liked the first two-thirds or so (where the horror is mostly psychological) better than the overtly supernatural stuff in the last act. In fairness, I can't imagine a payoff that doesn't tread on familiar horror turf, and it's hard to fault when it's that well-executed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The movie was more funny than scary, in my opinion. It will prob make a boat load of money.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tenzarin posted:

The movie was more funny than scary, in my opinion. It will prob make a boat load of money.
...what? Haha there might've been some moments here and there where I chuckled, but I was scared far more than I was laughing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm glad the reviews here are positive since the amount of masturbation on Twitter/movie sites about this has almost put me off, mainly due to how goddamn ambiguous certain reviews have been, basically telling me nothing, though the latest thing I saw was "this movie is NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS LOL" and I was just rolling my eyes. I'm desperate for a really REALLY good movie though (I think the last one that stuck with me was Killing of a Sacred Deer) so I think I'm gonna use my free Drafthouse ticket on this.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Easily the most unsettled I've been by a movie since...probably Killing of a Sacred Deer or mother! last year.

It's like this long, slow rollercoaster ride full of palpable pain and anxiety.

Hard recommend to any horror fan.

This comparison is my poo poo right here

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I really, really enjoyed the movie, but I feel like I need to think about it longer to really appreciate it. I feel like there may be some detail that I didn't grab on first watch, but I can't seem to place it yet.

Holy poo poo, Toni Collette though.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Anybody else notice when Joanie is telling Annie about how to perform the seance, and she says "Every member of the family has to be in the house", "house" sounds like it was ADR'd over what I'm pretty sure was originally "room"? I think this might have been done to account for Ellen's body being in the attic. Or something.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 9, 2018

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Did anyone else wait for the end of the credits? CLICK :aaaaa: :stare:

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Budgie Jumping posted:

Anybody else notice when Joanie is telling Annie about how to perform the seance, and she says "Every member of the family has to be in the house", "house" sounds like it was ADR'd over what I'm pretty sure was originally "room"? I think this might have been done to account for Ellen's body being in the attic. Or something.

Yeah I noticed this too and also thought she must have said "room"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
We didn't even get to hear the magic words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BrendianaJones posted:

I like it at two hours, because there's just enough family drama to get you thinking that's the movie's focus before it dramatically changes direction.

The more I think about this movie, the more I like it.

I mean, it takes an incredibly silly premise (a satanic cult run by grandma possessing a teenage boy) and conceals it behind so many redirects, elements from other genres and sheer film making craft that you don't even realise what you're watching until very late in the piece. And by then, this ridiculous premise has so much weight and we're so invested in these people that you never realise how silly it all is if you just lay it out

DLC Inc posted:

I'm glad the reviews here are positive since the amount of masturbation on Twitter/movie sites about this has almost put me off, mainly due to how goddamn ambiguous certain reviews have been, basically telling me nothing, though the latest thing I saw was "this movie is NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT IS LOL" and I was just rolling my eyes. I'm desperate for a really REALLY good movie though (I think the last one that stuck with me was Killing of a Sacred Deer) so I think I'm gonna use my free Drafthouse ticket on this.

It is a cliche, but the less you know about this film going in, the better it is. I'm writing a review for a local publication, and I'm working very hard to avoid spoilers.