Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only thing I can remember about that show was the loving kickass opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

Ok, so I watched the intro and subtitles were on. When Zeus made his pronouncement of doom, it transcribed "mortals" as "buttholes".

Found comedy is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Got to thinking about this today and HBO's poo poo has held up remarkably well. Deadwood, Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Larry Sanders, Curb Your Enthusiasm...I'm hard pressed to think of a series they did hasn't stood the test of time. I never liked Sex in the City so I can't say how that one "held up".

Even the Spawn cartoon they did was good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Got to thinking about this today and HBO's poo poo has held up remarkably well. Deadwood, Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Larry Sanders, Curb Your Enthusiasm...I'm hard pressed to think of a series they did hasn't stood the test of time. I never liked Sex in the City so I can't say how that one "held up".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQSbjrzZiVc

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I’ve never watched Oz but I feel like the counterexample is Oz.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwAMUz8evUk

I found a box set of the entire series for $5 at Walmart several years ago. Checked out the reviews online and people complained that most of the episodes were the edited broadcast versions. Yes, people were complaining about a $5 box set of a show that will never be seen again anywhere.

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Jun 17, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Was it the voice acting? I don't remember much about the plot outside of the general outline, and of course, the flying golden condor.

Yeah but they took FOREVER to get to that FLIPPIN golden condor. I yearned for that thing so much.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

True story: I met a man with a wonderful voice who was very humble; "oh, you haven't heard of me, I did a couple of audiobooks, and this cartoon called Spawn"

That man was the voice of TREVOR loving GOODCHILD from Aeon Flux and I was like, neat, thanks

Five minutes later I was like WAIT, WHAT

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Touche.

I never watched OZ but I heard to was pretty good and I've never heard anyone really poo poo on it. Maybe occasionally I've read people talking about the sexual elements being kind of dated and lovely overall.

HBO hits way more than they miss though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Was it the voice acting? I don't remember much about the plot outside of the general outline, and of course, the flying golden condor.

The voice acting isn't great, the (decent) music cues get reused too often and the writing has the characters explain the plot frequently because it's written for young kids. It's a bit painful to watch as an adult.

The actual underlying story is cool and Mendoza (and his cape) are great though.

The Condor was really cool but before that you still had a solar powered ship with a loving death laser.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BiggerBoat posted:

Touche.

I never watched OZ but I heard to was pretty good and I've never heard anyone really poo poo on it. Maybe occasionally I've read people talking about the sexual elements being kind of dated and lovely overall.

HBO hits way more than they miss though.

It got really silly. They had a musical episode. I mean B.D. Wong is known for his broadway stuff but you don't have to make him sing in a prison drama.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Very true. Oz was a much better show when it stuck to the drugs, blackmail, murder and rape.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

When did shows start doing gimmick episodes like musicals and such?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The first time I watched oz I was like 11 at my parents house because they somehow lucked into free hbo and I saw a dude force another dude to blow him and then the guy bit his dick head off and I was traumatized but also amazed you could show that on tv

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I Love Lucy had a story arc where the Ricardos went to Hollywood and hung out with movie stars, so pretty much from the start.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In early 90s America it aired early weekday mornings and I would see the end of an episode every morning as I got ready for school. I remember there were aliens living in the center of the Earth that wanted to drain the kids' blood? Also it ends on a cliffhanger where the adult hero abandons the kids after they melt the city of gold. Or maybe the French just know how to depress the gently caress out of kids.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

business hammocks posted:

In early 90s America it aired early weekday mornings and I would see the end of an episode every morning as I got ready for school. I remember there were aliens living in the center of the Earth that wanted to drain the kids' blood? Also it ends on a cliffhanger where the adult hero abandons the kids after they melt the city of gold. Or maybe the French just know how to depress the gently caress out of kids.

It's this.

Also I don't remember any of that at all, I wonder if they actually showed all of that in Israel? I think they would show it on reruns every summer. I remember looking forward to it. Another summer rerun was The Wonderful Adventures of Nils (Hebrew dub) and Flight of the Dragons (English, Hebrew subtitles).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Sweevo posted:

Yeah the series is a full story with a proper opening and conclusion.

I seem to remember it being surprisingly dark in places for a kids show too.

E: Restored versions of all the episodes are on youtube.

After 30 years I've finally seen the final episode. Thank you goon sir.

The writing wasn't *quite* as good I remember it. Also the gods never got a punch in the face they so clearly deserved, but oh well. The gun sword was always cool.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Olmecs were weird morlock-like people (with their own flying machine) and in the end the City of Gold is destroyed but the kids fly away on the Condor (to the sequel) and the good-ish Spaniards get a pile of treasure.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

business hammocks posted:

And didn't it randomly get a Steam game a few years ago?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I used to tuck a pencil into my sleeve in second grade to pretend I was Spartakus.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I remember a beautiful girl a few years older than I telling me that oh yeah, did you notice on that stupid Cities of Gold cartoon, how their hair blew one way when the wind in the background blew another? I wanted to stab myself in the brain and crawl into a hole, I was so embarrassed for ever having liked it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rirse posted:

And didn't it randomly get a Steam game a few years ago?

It's had two sequel series in the last few years as well.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the topic of HBO shows, I was recently thinking about Dream On, which might be a bit relevant, still, due to it's frequent use of cutting to old film/TV footage to act as narration to a scene. Specifically, it seems a lot like the same sort of gimmick a lot of Youtube folks will use to showcase a talking point of their during a commentary video on something by just tossing in quick image memes and pop culture stills/media.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

For shows not about characters who were supposed to be musicians already (Lucy as mentioned) we can go back to the Gilligan's Island episode where they did Hamlet!:The Musical.

The current fad cycle goes back to Buffy I think, although Tiny Toons and Animaniacs laid the groundwork.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Moonlighting I thought had a musical number break out in an episode or two, but never a full musical one, if I recall.

They did do a "The Taming of the Shrew" episode, though. Did that one come about due to the writer's strike?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
French cartoons are a real mixed bunch. You can usually them them by the boobs and hips, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Thranguy posted:

we can go back to the Gilligan's Island episode where they did Hamlet!:The Musical.

Which was awesome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

French cartoons are a real mixed bunch. You can usually them them by the boobs and hips, though.

The one I remember enjoying was this post-apocalyptic action-adventure cartoon called Chris Colorado. It was one of the ones Cartoon Network got when they were trying to make CNX a separate channel in the UK and needed stuff to go fill in spaces between the DCAU shows and Dragon Ball Z. It might hold up; I haven't seen it in forever.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MrUnderbridge posted:

Ok, so I watched the intro and subtitles were on. When Zeus made his pronouncement of doom, it transcribed "mortals" as "buttholes".

Found comedy is the best.

Oh my god, it actually does!

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Jun 17, 2018

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I Love Lucy had a story arc where the Ricardos went to Hollywood and hung out with movie stars, so pretty much from the start.

She also hung out with Superman in her apartment.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the topic of HBO shows, I was recently thinking about Dream On, which might be a bit relevant, still, due to it's frequent use of cutting to old film/TV footage to act as narration to a scene. Specifically, it seems a lot like the same sort of gimmick a lot of Youtube folks will use to showcase a talking point of their during a commentary video on something by just tossing in quick image memes and pop culture stills/media.

And a few years later Ally McBeal did the same thing. Dream On was good, but a lot of those early HBO shows like 1st and 10 were popular because they could show boobs and say bad words. So a broadcast edited one would suck.

I remember watching Dream On with my parents and everyone being in a tizzy because they showed butt thrusting (under the sheets) during the sex scenes and you just didn’t do that on television.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Thranguy posted:

For shows not about characters who were supposed to be musicians already (Lucy as mentioned) we can go back to the Gilligan's Island episode where they did Hamlet!:The Musical.

The current fad cycle goes back to Buffy I think, although Tiny Toons and Animaniacs laid the groundwork.

Pretty sure Xena beat Buffy to the all-singing episode gimmick. But the music wasn't as well written and there was far less main characters and interpersonal drama on that show so it didn't make the same impact.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The Lexx musical episode pre-dates buffy as well.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
and had John Dunsworth (Lahey from TPB) as an old Brunnen-G. That episode was surprisingly good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chicago Hope had a musical episode in 1997.

(As a side-note, I am surprised that they haven't tried to tie that show into the current crop of Chicago-themed procedurals.)

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I think musical episode has pretty much always been one of the fallback "running short of ideas" episodes, along with the amnesia, mindswap and cage-fight episodes.
Note that the series so far cited as having the musical episode also had all of these episodes (maybe not Lexx?)
Musical might be slightly less common because it requires actors capable of singing competently. (the War of the Worlds TV series, for example, had amnesia, mindswap and cage-fight, but I think didn't have a musical episode.)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

roomforthetuna posted:

I think musical episode has pretty much always been one of the fallback "running short of ideas" episodes, along with the amnesia, mindswap and cage-fight episodes.
Note that the series so far cited as having the musical episode also had all of these episodes (maybe not Lexx?)
Musical might be slightly less common because it requires actors capable of singing competently. (the War of the Worlds TV series, for example, had amnesia, mindswap and cage-fight, but I think didn't have a musical episode.)

Don't forget clip show.

But yeah at least musical requires effort. Dialogue and song are two different beasts both writing wise and performance wise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Preem Palver posted:

and had John Dunsworth (Lahey from TPB) as an old Brunnen-G. That episode was surprisingly good.

"Surprisingly good" is a description that can apply to almost any episode of Lexx. No matter how terrible it might sound, it's always somehow at least slightly better. (Exception: the one in S4 with Hattie Hayridge and Craig Charles as the owners of a private prison.)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jedit posted:

"Surprisingly good" is a description that can apply to almost any episode of Lexx. No matter how terrible it might sound, it's always somehow at least slightly better. (Exception: the one in S4 with Hattie Hayridge and Craig Charles as the owners of a private prison.)

They get robot carrot butted right? That was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oh my god, it actually does!

I didn't know I needed a Beavis and Butthead dub of Ulysses 31 until now.