Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Reddit is ok for some topics, but I much prefer long running threads like this to develop actual communities and get to know posters better. If you put everyone from this thread into a private subreddit it would be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Reddit doesn't have avatars and thus I never remember who's who, so if becomes pretty worthless for stuff like "ah this person who I recognize as having tastes similar to my own because I've seen them for the past 8 months recommends this, I should check out out"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I turned avatars off long ago. Many of the animated ones are just irritating.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Lorini posted:

I browse SA in public and a lot of AVs are ... questionable to say the least. So I've had them turned off for years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anniversary posted:

I browse SA in public and a lot of AVs are ... questionable to say the least. So I've had them turned off for years.

Says the man with the Goatse emoji below his own avatar.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Jedit posted:

Says the man with the Goatse emoji below his own avatar.

I did not buy this and I am too cheap to replace it when the original purchaser is still out there with a credit card and determination to make my AV terrible.

e: But yes, the irony is pretty great. :P

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Lorini posted:

I just add the animated nuisances to ublock. That way i can still recognize most people.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

Reddit is ok for some topics, but I much prefer long running threads like this to develop actual communities and get to know posters better. If you put everyone from this thread into a private subreddit it would be dead.

Same here. You get a notion of what people are into, noted personalities develop, and you learn certain things like never trusting any of my replies about a midweight Euro game because I gobble that poo poo up. I was just talking about Gentes again and my hype is back

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Chill la Chill posted:

Same here. You get a notion of what people are into, noted personalities develop, and you learn certain things like never trusting any of my replies about a midweight Euro game because I gobble that poo poo up. I was just talking about Gentes again and my hype is back

You're the one who convinced me to back the deluxe version, I'm eager to get my mitts on it.

Really don't want the forums to die, I have very little tolerance for Reddit.

In other news I'm paying a visit to my folks and asked if they wanted me to bring something like Azul or Sushi Go. They immediately said they wanted me to bring Antiquity again, which shocked and delighted me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FunkMonkey posted:

You're the one who convinced me to back the deluxe version, I'm eager to get my mitts on it.

Yeah, thanks and/or sorry about that. I was on the discord sounding a bit meh on it but then got excited again since I remembered why I was anticipating it with the time tracks and all. I do have opinions about certain midweight euros, like not liking scythe at all, but for the most part they're my kryptonite even though I keep playing The Great Zimbabwe over and over and over again anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, thanks and/or sorry about that. I was on the discord sounding a bit meh on it but then got excited again since I remembered why I was anticipating it with the time tracks and all. I do have opinions about certain midweight euros, like not liking scythe at all, but for the most part they're my kryptonite even though I keep playing The Great Zimbabwe over and over and over again anyway.

Not to get you talking, but when is Gentes due again? There doesn't seem to have been an update in quite a while.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If this forum dies I'll have to learn how to use discord.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

If this forum dies I'll have to learn how to use discord.

Discord is pretty cool but I think it fits better for video games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

Discord is pretty cool but I think it fits better for video games.

Better than BGG's forums, at least. The boardgoon discord has some lively chatter and advice asking and the like, just...nothing like effortposts, and it's effortposts that really make this forum shine imo.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Oh! Lets form a BGG guild.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Mr. Squishy posted:

There is one. No one uses it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/2133

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mr. Squishy posted:

there already is one

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Worst case scenario if word came down that everything was going away I'd think this subforum is probably small enough that creating an off shoot board for it would be feasible.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Even as the person who started the guild, I would say that the biggest problem is that it would mean using BGG as more than a database... that's the sort of thing that gives me cold sweats.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The End posted:

Even as the person who started the guild, I would say that the biggest problem is that it would mean using BGG as more than a database... that's the sort of thing that gives me cold sweats.

Did you not want to mix your boardgaming hobby with your cuck fetish???

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's the Hunt the Wumpus board game that's a hunter at night and a monster prowls the perimeter.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

What's the Hunt the Wumpus board game that's a hunter at night and a monster prowls the perimeter.

Dark is the Night

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Atomicated posted:

Worst case scenario if word came down that everything was going away I'd think this subforum is probably small enough that creating an off shoot board for it would be feasible.

I figure this is the most likely outcome if SA dies. All the small forum communities or subforum communities migrate fairly intact to offsites. Large forums like GBS or Games proper promptly explode into 20 million competing offsites and irreparably fragment.

I really, really don't want SA to die, but if it does I'll absolutely see you guys on a TG spin-off forum - this is far and away the best place to read about and post about boardgames and although I read a lot, LOT more than I post, this thread has been instrumental in me getting into boardgames, getting my friends and loved ones into boardgames, and making sure that those games are good and worthwhile rather than garbage trash :unsmith:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mode 7 posted:

I figure this is the most likely outcome if SA dies. All the small forum communities or subforum communities migrate fairly intact to offsites. Large forums like GBS or Games proper promptly explode into 20 million competing offsites and irreparably fragment.

I really, really don't want SA to die, but if it does I'll absolutely see you guys on a TG spin-off forum - this is far and away the best place to read about and post about boardgames and although I read a lot, LOT more than I post, this thread has been instrumental in me getting into boardgames, getting my friends and loved ones into boardgames, and making sure that those games are good and worthwhile rather than garbage trash :unsmith:

Yeah it is - bums me out a bit that it might die.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mode 7 posted:

The hard part will simply be getting the word out. I'm part of one niche forum whose hosting died that was reincarnated 3-5 years ago, and we still get posts of "I just found out the place is back!"

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Bruceski posted:

The hard part will simply be getting the word out. I'm part of one niche forum whose hosting died that was reincarnated 3-5 years ago, and we still get posts of "I just found out the place is back!"

Well, there is a centralized location other than SA for SA board game goons to check... Ok, actually there's two of those places.

I very much doubt BGG or Discord are going to die anytime soon.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Is it in danger of dying?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

OmegaGoo posted:

Well, there is a centralized location other than SA for SA board game goons to check... Ok, actually there's two of those places.

I very much doubt BGG or Discord are going to die anytime soon.

Yeah just make sure you're in the discord or the BGG guild though!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lorini posted:

Is it in danger of dying?

Well...

Lowtax posted:

Right now it takes roughly 11 days of forum purchases just to cover bandwidth costs, and that's before taxes! Please buy a bunch of poo poo or just toss money at me through the donation link up top, because right now I'm $70,000 in medical debt and the way things are going I'll never be able to even cover costs of site bandwidth, much less all my stupid goddamn loving American corrupt health care poo poo fucker from hell bills. 

Please, I beg of you, open up your hearts - and your wallets - so I can at least generate enough revenue to cover bandwidth here!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Geezus, how horrible!!!!! lovely US medical system!!

Does he have a gofundme or Patreon account? I've bought everything they offer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some people are apparently asking him for a price to buy out the forums, I don’t think it’ll die unless he wants it to. But yeah, premium subscriptions or something would definitely be a good idea.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lorini posted:

Geezus, how horrible!!!!! lovely US medical system!!

Does he have a gofundme or Patreon account? I've bought everything they offer.

He's got a Patreon.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Geez the Patreon says revenue has dropped for them 90%. I really do think it's due to the lack of threading you guys. It's like the only place I know that doesn't. Also for whatever reason reddit has become the cool place on the internet. It's decent but no big thing if you know what I mean.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lorini posted:

Geez the Patreon says revenue has dropped for them 90%. I really do think it's due to the lack of threading you guys. It's like the only place I know that doesn't. Also for whatever reason reddit has become the cool place on the internet. It's decent but no big thing if you know what I mean.
We have threads. We're in one.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Can't see how threading in of itself makes that much a difference. People are just moving away from traditional forums.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hello boardgoons. What does the hivemind recommend from the last year or so? I haven’t been following the thread

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Who do I have to PM to get the discord info? Or invite. Or whatever. I have the discord app, I'm just not super knowledgeable of how getting into a group/server actually works.

Edit: I have plat and an avatar now because I just bought it recently to keep these dead gay forums I've spent 17 years on going for another hour.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 17, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ravendas posted:

Who do I have to PM to get the discord info? Or invite. Or whatever. I have the discord app, I'm just not super knowledgeable of how getting into a group/server actually works.
Link is in the OP I think. Also here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Hello boardgoons. What does the hivemind recommend from the last year or so? I haven’t been following the thread

Hella good coops:
Spirit Island - play gods on an island to fight off whities and save the natives, my favorite of the last year easily.
Gloomhaven - depending on when you left of course

Gaia Project - Terra Mystica 2.0 in space
Azul - gateway drafting tile laying thats way better than Splendor and hits some similar notes as Patchwork but plays up to 4
Lisboa - Lacerda's latest mind melter
Ethnos - ugly but good entry set collection and area majority
878 Vikings - clever team based entry war game
Codenames: Duet - 2 player Codenames that's even better than the original
The Mind - groupthink the game (Hanabi but good)
John Company - Semi coop where players are trying to steer the failing East India trading company while exploiting it to their fullest potential. Lots of negotiation and diverging interests.
King/Queendomino - great little tile drafting and laying games that are a nice change of pace from Carc
Battle for Rokugan - the good Rising Sun. Tons of clever bluffing and really quick and simple area control game.
Keyper - Interesting follow the leader worker placement mechanics with gimmicky but cool modular boards that fold each season for a lot of modular play.
The Fox in the Forest - Brilliant 2 player trick taking game. Win too many hands and you lose, leading to really interesting strategies.
Colonial Twilight - 2 player COIN game, which probably tells you everything you need to know if that's your jam.
Kitchen Rush - Real time coop worker placement with sand timers as your workers.
Decrypto - Clever word guessing team game where your opponents get to guess before your team with some clever wrenches thrown into the formula.
Sonar 8 player 4v4 submarine real time dueling with each player being a different crew member with a different station.
Import/Export - Chudyk-esque multi use card game about shipping goods.

That's all I can think of. It was a pretty good year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Hella good coops:
Spirit Island - play gods on an island to fight off whities and save the natives, my favorite of the last year easily.
Gloomhaven - depending on when you left of course

Gaia Project - Terra Mystica 2.0 in space
Azul - gateway drafting tile laying thats way better than Splendor and hits some similar notes as Patchwork but plays up to 4
Lisboa - Lacerda's latest mind melter
Ethnos - ugly but good entry set collection and area majority
878 Vikings - clever team based entry war game
Codenames: Duet - 2 player Codenames that's even better than the original
The Mind - groupthink the game (Hanabi but good)
John Company - Semi coop where players are trying to steer the failing East India trading company while exploiting it to their fullest potential. Lots of negotiation and diverging interests.
King/Queendomino - great little tile drafting and laying games that are a nice change of pace from Carc
Battle for Rokugan - the good Rising Sun. Tons of clever bluffing and really quick and simple area control game.
Keyper - Interesting follow the leader worker placement mechanics with gimmicky but cool modular boards that fold each season for a lot of modular play.
The Fox in the Forest - Brilliant 2 player trick taking game. Win too many hands and you lose, leading to really interesting strategies.
Colonial Twilight - 2 player COIN game, which probably tells you everything you need to know if that's your jam.
Kitchen Rush - Real time coop worker placement with sand timers as your workers.
Decrypto - Clever word guessing team game where your opponents get to guess before your team with some clever wrenches thrown into the formula.
Sonar 8 player 4v4 submarine real time dueling with each player being a different crew member with a different station.
Import/Export - Chudyk-esque multi use card game about shipping goods.

That's all I can think of. It was a pretty good year!

Sweet, thanks. I had Gloomhaven and Captain Sonar, and scored Gaia Project and Spirit Island recently. Most of those sound interesting and a lot of them are on my geek buddies lists, but I hadn’t heard of Import/Export or The Fox in the Forest.