Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm doing a 5 day whitewater canoeing trip on the Spanish River in Northern Ontario in a few weeks. Just picked up a pair of Prana Zions for my camp pants because the bugs are gonna be HORRENDOUS

Anyone have a suggestion for a boonie hat? I'd be wearing it on the river so something quick drying would be nice for when I dump my boat.
Also, bugspray...I need something slightly less than agent orange but more than muskol.

Additionally, just bought the MEC Volt 3 tent, man that thing is light and very airy, slightly worried that it's gonna be cold when I'm doing late-season trips. I think calling it 3 season is a bit of a stretch, but most backpacking tents seem to have the same sort of construction these days.

I don't like that it came with J-Pegs though. They're annoying, I much prefer the hook style pegs.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

MA-Horus posted:

I'm doing a 5 day whitewater canoeing trip on the Spanish River in Northern Ontario in a few weeks. Just picked up a pair of Prana Zions for my camp pants because the bugs are gonna be HORRENDOUS

Anyone have a suggestion for a boonie hat? I'd be wearing it on the river so something quick drying would be nice for when I dump my boat.
Also, bugspray...I need something slightly less than agent orange but more than muskol.

Additionally, just bought the MEC Volt 3 tent, man that thing is light and very airy, slightly worried that it's gonna be cold when I'm doing late-season trips. I think calling it 3 season is a bit of a stretch, but most backpacking tents seem to have the same sort of construction these days.

I don't like that it came with J-Pegs though. They're annoying, I much prefer the hook style pegs.

It's expensive, but you only need to buy it once... I really love my hemp Tilly hat:

https://www.tilley.com/media/catalog/product/cache/image/1100x1100/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/t/h/th5_brown_b_1.jpg

It's tough, it floats, it's insured against loss or damage, guaranteed for life, made in Canada, quite cool on hot days... I seriously can't recommend this thing heartily enough. I've had several cheaper hats, all of which deformed over time or were just lovely in various ways. Even my friends who paid good money for North face boonie caps all regret it, theirs droop and suck over time, and they just wound up buying a Tilley hat.

They're made for boating, though if you're doing straight up whitewater, just wear an old baseball cap

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

I've had pretty good luck with permethrin for clothing and then using picardin for topical application. Deet melts plastic, fades cotton and is bad for you, so I'd probably avoid it if possible. Physical options can be great for reducing chemical use -- long sleeve shirts, head nets etc.

EDIT: the closest thing to agent orange I've ever seen was at a FWS field camp in Alaska. We wore cotton mesh jackets that had been "seasoned" by soaking them in 100% deet for weeks.

slothzilla fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 16, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

MA-Horus posted:

Seconding the Tilley hats. I have a couple, and they are great. The AirFlo hats are cooler and lighter than the cotton ones, and still hold up great.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

slothzilla posted:

I've had pretty good luck with permethrin for clothing and then using picardin for topical application. Deet melts plastic, fades cotton and is bad for you, so I'd probably avoid it if possible. Physical options can be great for reducing chemical use -- long sleeve shirts, head nets etc.

EDIT: the closest thing to agent orange I've ever seen was at a FWS field camp in Alaska. We wore cotton mesh jackets that had been "seasoned" by soaking them in 100% deet for weeks.

Permethrin is extremely toxic to cats, keep that in mind.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

the yeti posted:

Permethrin is extremely toxic to cats, keep that in mind.

Is that just when it’s wet or after it dries too? I’d still probably keeps cars from laying on treated clothes I guess

Morbus
May 18, 2004

It's supposed to be safe to cats after it dries, and it deffo doesn't stop them from lying on clothes if my pants are any indication.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Permethrin is for ticks isn’t it? Sweet is what actually works for mosquitoes. I just use whatever spray and it works fine. Staying covered will help. Consider getting a big net hat if they’re really bad.

Friend of mine did a trip in Alaska that is insane level bugs. They brought what amounted to a big big net canopy.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Permethrin works for mosquitoes, or really almost any insect. It's a straight up neurotoxin rather than an irritant like DEET or picardin, so it won't necessarily have a repellent effect but will prevent biting by making insects spaz out and die on contact. Its main advantages, aside from its lethality, are that it's easy to apply all over clothing or gear in a persistent way that has no odor or residue. Treating clothing or other gear in this way with DEET or picardin is much less practical, and requires frequent re-application due to the volatility of those chemicals. Permethrin and DEET/picardin complement each other, so both are usually used as part of the best anti-insect strategies.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Levitate posted:

Is that just when it’s wet or after it dries too? I’d still probably keeps cars from laying on treated clothes I guess

Just until it's dry, but since (from what I can tell) permethrin seems to be applied in water rather than a volatile solvent, the drying time could be a while.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Morbus posted:

Permethrin works for mosquitoes, or really almost any insect. It's a straight up neurotoxin rather than an irritant like DEET or picardin, so it won't necessarily have a repellent effect but will prevent biting by making insects spaz out and die on contact. Its main advantages, aside from its lethality, are that it's easy to apply all over clothing or gear in a persistent way that has no odor or residue. Treating clothing or other gear in this way with DEET or picardin is much less practical, and requires frequent re-application due to the volatility of those chemicals. Permethrin and DEET/picardin complement each other, so both are usually used as part of the best anti-insect strategies.

Thanks! This is a really helpful explanation... Makes a lot more sense than usual Permethrin is more effective than picaridin because ? comments I get when talking to other hikers on the trail. I'm adding it to the op here :)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
This is probably as good a spot as any to ask:

Goretex jacket, is it ok to leave in a hot car? Its not necessarily sitting in the direct sunlight inside hot car, just sitting on the back seat.

Bad? Not bad? Ok, but not great?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

wesleywillis posted:

Goretex jacket, is it ok to leave in a hot car? Its not necessarily sitting in the direct sunlight inside hot car, just sitting on the back seat.

I wouldn't worry so much about the heat. Most jackets suggest being tossed in the dryer to re-apply DWR coatings albeit not for very long and not very hot so they should be able to withstand being in a hot car for a while without worrying about any damage. I would only worry about the 2-2.5 layer jackets with the thin rubbery membrane against your body. They seem pretty fragile and could peel off if overheated but it would entirely depend on the jacket and temperature. Probably not a great idea if you live somewhere ruthlessly hot like florida, arizona etc where the temp in your car can bake a cake.

I would worry more about the UV rays as those will destroy a jacket much faster than a little bit of heat will. Most auto glass isn't very UV protective so leaving something in the direct sunlight will likely cause fading and breakdown of the materials and protective aspects. Nikwax has a UV protector but I have no idea if it really works at all. Easiest solution is to put it in your trunk or cover it up with something so its not getting fried in the sunlight.

If you leave it in the car once or twice, probably not a big deal but if its a daily thing you will probably notice fading.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Verman posted:

I wouldn't worry so much about the heat. Most jackets suggest being tossed in the dryer to re-apply DWR coatings albeit not for very long and not very hot so they should be able to withstand being in a hot car for a while without worrying about any damage. I would only worry about the 2-2.5 layer jackets with the thin rubbery membrane against your body. They seem pretty fragile and could peel off if overheated but it would entirely depend on the jacket and temperature. Probably not a great idea if you live somewhere ruthlessly hot like florida, arizona etc where the temp in your car can bake a cake.

I would worry more about the UV rays as those will destroy a jacket much faster than a little bit of heat will. Most auto glass isn't very UV protective so leaving something in the direct sunlight will likely cause fading and breakdown of the materials and protective aspects. Nikwax has a UV protector but I have no idea if it really works at all. Easiest solution is to put it in your trunk or cover it up with something so its not getting fried in the sunlight.

If you leave it in the car once or twice, probably not a big deal but if its a daily thing you will probably notice fading.

Word. Its been in my car for a few weeks now. Just tossed in the back seat. I've only left it there incase I'm somewhere and it rains. Its almost summer but its only been getting REALLY hot the last week or two.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

wesleywillis posted:

I think Verman is spot on with the UV -- that'll degrade your jacket faster than anything. I would worry about delamination though, since goretex is a laminated fabric. Long exposure to heat will probably help accelerate breaking down the adhesive polymer chains, and once it starts doing that the jacket will just wet through.

Not an issue if your just leaving it in there every now and then, but I wouldn't make a habit of it

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Son of a BITCH apparently permithrin spray is not available in Canada? Only OTC for lice treatment. gently caress.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

MA-Horus posted:

Son of a BITCH apparently permithrin spray is not available in Canada? Only OTC for lice treatment. gently caress.

Some companies make a soak-treatment version, and it’s also the same stuff that’s in some dog flea/tick drops. It’s also available in bulk jugs for treating livestock, maybe take a look at some farm supply places and see if it’s available?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I'm not Canadian but I've heard you can order it from amazon without problems (although higher shipping costs / import taxes might apply).

Just be careful if you buy concentrate and dilute it vs. just getting 0.5% solution.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hammock enthusiasts, is the ENO singlenest a good beginner's hammock? The current rei sale has got me looking

e: for warm weather how feasible is it to just use a regular sleeping bag instead of quilt(s)? I tend to sleep pretty hot anyway.

Chard fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 22, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Chard posted:

e: for warm weather how feasible is it to just use a regular sleeping bag instead of quilt(s)? I tend to sleep pretty hot anyway.
If it is cool enough for a blanket, your backside will probably get chilly.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Would you be able to unzip a sleeping bag from the toe box, then use it like a sleeve?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CopperHound posted:

If it is cool enough for a blanket, your backside will probably get chilly.

Does it work to shove a z-lite under you in this situation? I know double-layer hammocks exist that have special pad slots but I don't think this one has that.

deong posted:

Would you be able to unzip a sleeping bag from the toe box, then use it like a sleeve?

If you mean draping it over me like a blanket, this is what I do most of the time already :v:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Chard posted:

Hammock enthusiasts, is the ENO singlenest a good beginner's hammock? The current rei sale has got me looking

No, not unless you're 5'6". The Eno is short enough to be (imo) suitable for hanging around at the park but not great for actually backpacking. I suggest Dutchware as a good starting point. You can get an 11' netless hammock cheaply, and it will be much more comfortable than an Eno. I've got one made with a single layer of 1.6 Hexon, and it's perfect.

You'll need something under you if it's not very warm out though. You can get underquilt kits through Ripstop by the Roll or there are inexpensive options out there like the Jarbridge River (partial length, so you'd need a footpad)

edit: You can get the Dutchware as a double-layer for pad use too if that's your thing. Never tried it with a double layer, but a pad in a single layer is a hassle. Once I got a quilt the pad was relegated to tent duty.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Loucks posted:

No, not unless you're 5'6". The Eno is short enough to be (imo) suitable for hanging around at the park but not great for actually backpacking. I suggest Dutchware as a good starting point. You can get an 11' netless hammock cheaply, and it will be much more comfortable than an Eno. I've got one made with a single layer of 1.6 Hexon, and it's perfect.

You'll need something under you if it's not very warm out though. You can get underquilt kits through Ripstop by the Roll or there are inexpensive options out there like the Jarbridge River (partial length, so you'd need a footpad)

I should have mentioned that I'm a little over 6'. From the reviews I've looked at seemed like that would be okay at that size. I like the DIY kits, but for a first timer I'll probably end up getting a finished product.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Chard posted:

I've had a doublenest for like 6 years now, and I've spent a lot of nights in it. I usually put a self-inflating pad in the hammock then sleep in a sleeping bag on top of that. It works just fine. It's not nearly as compact as hammock+quilt kits, though.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Chard posted:

I should have mentioned that I'm a little over 6'. From the reviews I've looked at seemed like that would be okay at that size. I like the DIY kits, but for a first timer I'll probably end up getting a finished product.

Understandable. The underquilt kits take about an hour with a sewing machine, but the pre-made ones are definitely easier. The Jarbridge quilts and Dutchware hammocks aren't kits, to be clear.

Also, I don't know how you'd manage to drape a sleeping bag over a hammock so that it provided adequate coverage underneath. I'd suggest either a pad or an underquilt. There's also the comedy/nuclear option.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't even have a sewing machine so those are right out, but I thought it was neat that is an option at all. I guess it really boils down to two questions then: 1) what will fit a 6'-ish person comfortably, and 2) does it work to use a pad inside the hammock rather than an underquilt? It sounds like the answer to 2 at least is yes, so now I just need to figure out the height equation.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Chard posted:

I don't even have a sewing machine so those are right out, but I thought it was neat that is an option at all. I guess it really boils down to two questions then: 1) what will fit a 6'-ish person comfortably, and 2) does it work to use a pad inside the hammock rather than an underquilt? It sounds like the answer to 2 at least is yes, so now I just need to figure out the height equation.

I'm about 6'2", and I honestly don't understand how height even comes into the equation. I don't think the hammocks change length, just width. Hammock+pad+sleeping bag works just fine, and I've personally tested that combination down to about 15 degrees f. If you don't mind carrying it, it'll be great.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Loads of people use pads instead of underquilts. They tend to be slightly lighter, can be significantly cheaper, and you have some bonus versatility in case you need to camp on the ground for some reason. But you will probably want a wide pad rather than the skinny/mummy type, otherwise your shoulders might get cold.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I use a wide REI flash pad in my hammock and it isn't terrible. Underquilts are nice, but I like having the option to be on the ground if necessary.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chard posted:

Nah, I'd skip the ENO. At that price point, I heartily second looking at Dutchware's stuff:

https://dutchwaregear.com/product-category/hammock-gear/hammocks/chameleon/

Everything he does is super clever and very well thought out and affordable. Hands down my favorite backpacking gear shop.

Using a regular sleeping bag is great, only downside is that it's just about double the weight of a quilt. Keep in mind that you'll still need a pad or underquilt to keep your backside warm, and HammockGear's econ underquilts are under a hundred bucks for a 30° and made right here in Columbus:

http://www.hammockgear.com/incubator-econ-30/

I lied, it's 137$ now, but it's a great quilt and still cheap.

If you want the Cadillac option for hammocks, the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC is designed for tall people and what I happily use all the time:

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product-category/hammocks/blackbird-xlc-and-add-ons/

And if you want the most affordable option to just try hammocks out and see if you even like it, check out Vipon, eg:

https://m.vipon.com/#/details/4938448

Fresh off the boat from Guangzhou, same as Eno, and you can even buy tarps for as little as 5-10$

http://m.vipon.com/#/details/5075894

Vipon just gives you coupons to use on Amazon, you just have to sign up for an account (I'd use a throwaway email). But it works, and sometimes they post stupid deals, like one time I got a hundred bucks worth of microfiber camping towels shipped to my door for free, because they had a vipon coupon on top of a 25% sale when you buy x number of towels, lol.

E: Google around on hammock forums and stuff, but there's a formula/recommended length/width for comfort. I'm 6'4 and the Blackbird XLC is perfect, if you just want to use that as a guide.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 26, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Chard posted:

I’ve had good success using the tiny little Klymit inflatable sleeping pads under a top quilt or a regular sleeping bag. They have models that are as small as a pop can when stowed, and they have a hammock-specific model that has like wings and poo poo to keep it from moving. I picked up the insulated hammock one and a couple others off Massdrop, they have them all the time and they’re pretty cheap, except the hammock one. The others have worked fine in the hammock, but I haven’t gotten to try the hammock one out yet.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Does anyone have any suggestions for suspenders for hiking?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for suspenders for hiking?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490050

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paging Chard, I saw that Petzl has expanded their lineup and added the Bindi, a 35g light with 200 lumens. That's a little under 1.5 times the weight of the E+Lite you were looking at, but I think that's horribly expensive, and I'm not enough of a gram weenie to see the appeal.

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/ACTIVE-headlamps/BINDI

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the hammock tips everyone. I got to try it out for two nights last weekend, one with an inflatable pad, and it was honestly the best night's sleep I've had in recent memory, to the point I am seriously considering building a permanent stand for home use.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Paging Chard, I saw that Petzl has expanded their lineup and added the Bindi, a 35g light with 200 lumens. That's a little under 1.5 times the weight of the E+Lite you were looking at, but I think that's horribly expensive, and I'm not enough of a gram weenie to see the appeal.

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/ACTIVE-headlamps/BINDI

Woof, that's pretty pricey for a lamp; I'm not a fan of the cord-style straps either, even with the low weight I think that might be uncomfortable. I ended up getting the Actik when it was on sale and I've been quite happy with it so far

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chard posted:

Thanks for the hammock tips everyone. I got to try it out for two nights last weekend, one with an inflatable pad, and it was honestly the best night's sleep I've had in recent memory, to the point I am seriously considering building a permanent stand for home use.

Woof, that's pretty pricey for a lamp; I'm not a fan of the cord-style straps either, even with the low weight I think that might be uncomfortable. I ended up getting the Actik when it was on sale and I've been quite happy with it so far

Nice! What did you wind up getting?

If I can make a recommendation, skip the stand as it'd be too large since you need a long hang distance, and just drill some eye bolts into the studs to clip your suspension to.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

This is my ultralight headlamp of choice:

https://www.litesmith.com/nitecore-nu20-usb-rechargeable-headlamp/

Been doing a lot of night hiking, and the CRI really makes the colors true to life at night.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Chard posted:

Like I said, I found it to be too expensive at retail, and I am not nearly enough of a gram weenie for it to be worthwhile.

Seriously, if I start going, "If I saw another five centimeters off my toothbrush, I can save another ten grams off my load, and really, how many of the bristles do I *actually* need to brush my teeth?" loving shoot me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Like I said, I found it to be too expensive at retail, and I am not nearly enough of a gram weenie for it to be worthwhile.

Seriously, if I start going, "If I saw another five centimeters off my toothbrush, I can save another ten grams off my load, and really, how many of the bristles do I *actually* need to brush my teeth?" loving shoot me.

I had been getting more and more progressively lightweight, but after carrying two to three gallons of water with me all week in the grand canyon earlier this year, I'm just kind of like gently caress it now. I think once you get in the 15-20 pound base weight range, you generally start making quality of life sacrifices to skimp beyond that. Like the toothbrush handle, or going without a 2.5 ounce pillow, or shaving half an ounce by switching the headband with elastic cord and a lower life battery. Yes, less is absolutely more, but only to a point. I'd rather be lightweight than ultralight.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 5, 2018