Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Had yet another person RSVP with their uninvited date without asking first. What if guests.... didn’t invite people to our wedding......imagine that.....

One of the guy’s that did that isn’t returning my fiancé’s texts or calls either. We’re running very close to our guest limit (100 people exactly). So far three people added their date without asking and three people asked nicely if we might possibly be able to grant them a plus one. Guess which three people we were able to squeeze in plus ones for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Flew back from our wedding abroad Sunday, having a party for those who couldn’t come this Saturday. My new brother-in-law and his partner didn’t fly back until this morning, he decided to pop the question yesterday. My new wife is a little peeved about this :allears:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Flew back from our wedding abroad Sunday, having a party for those who couldn’t come this Saturday. My new brother-in-law and his partner didn’t fly back until this morning, he decided to pop the question yesterday. My new wife is a little peeved about this :allears:

At least he didn't do it at your wedding...?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Bacon Terrorist posted:

He held off on proposing until you guys had your big day. Sounds like he wanted to take advantage of being in a romantic locale with his partner. Once the wedding is over you can’t expect people to put their lives hold, imo.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I see it both ways but the fact they have said they aren’t going to announce it until after Saturday suggests they themselves feel the timing wasn’t great.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
At what point do you stop feeling like "oh my god this is way more money than I'd ever spend on anything"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

When kids are born. Maybe when a house is bought.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I already can't afford kids and a house. I just looked up some caterers that go with the venue we like and its $150/person. I'm hoping it'll maybe be less expensive because we're having people serve themselves??? Aaaaaa

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

So this is from a while back but I proposed to my (now) fiance and thought maybe some people in here would like it.

We went to a restaurant and the waiter brought a card with a drawing along with the menu. I asked my GF to hold it and let me take a picture of it, then I handed her the phone and asked her to do the same.

The text on the card means "The secret is in the device" and the AR text roughly translates as "isn't it about time to get married?"

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Has anyone ever had their bridal bouquet preserved? If so, did you DIY or use a service?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Has anyone ever had their bridal bouquet preserved? If so, did you DIY or use a service?

We just hung it upside down in a closet for a while and then put it in a shadowbox.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Anyone ever hire a shuttle for their wedding? Or thinking about it?

I know lots of people do it but I can't figure out how if it's lame or not. The venue I like and is affordable is out of town, but nobody, including us, drives.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Some friends did a Lyft Event - the hosts set a budget with Lyft and get a code to share with guests so guests can get discounted rides only to and from the venue. Worked well because it requires no day-of coordination on the part of the couple, although it is probably only viable if you are somewhere sufficiently urban to have ride sharing and your guests won't be intimidated by having to use Lyft.

Just mentioning that as another option that'll accomplish the same thing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

legendof posted:

Some friends did a Lyft Event - the hosts set a budget with Lyft and get a code to share with guests so guests can get discounted rides only to and from the venue. Worked well because it requires no day-of coordination on the part of the couple, although it is probably only viable if you are somewhere sufficiently urban to have ride sharing and your guests won't be intimidated by having to use Lyft.

Just mentioning that as another option that'll accomplish the same thing.

woah woah woah woah woah I didn't know this was a thing. Do you have to grantee a certain amount of people or pay any money for it?

We didn't do a hotel block because we don't have enough people from out of town, so we're not providing transportation because why the gently caress am I going to put down the money for a shuttle for eight people. I've been saying they're on their own and they can call themselves a drat uber if they need transportation.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I dunno why I'm asking for more information when I can just google it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah I wish I knew that was a thing. Providing transportation without there being a central location for hotels is really rough - i ended up hiring a shuttle that went down the main strip of the town and people could just get out at their hotel or within a block. Worked but was much slower than it could have been.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Yeah, thought I'd share because it seemed like a great solution. Lyft.com/events for more info than that, I was just a guest. Only inconvenient part seemed to be distributing Lyft's flyer about how to use lyft/the code to everyone beforehand.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

legendof posted:

Yeah, thought I'd share because it seemed like a great solution. Lyft.com/events for more info than that, I was just a guest. Only inconvenient part seemed to be distributing Lyft's flyer about how to use lyft/the code to everyone beforehand.

Would've been nice to have figured that out before sending out the invites! I'm confused though, it says each guest can only use the code once. So they can get there but not get back? Do I need to book two separate events?

As it turns out, our package comes with a 10 person limo. We switched it to an ugly rear end shuttle because my fiance gets carsick in limos, and we were thinking of having it make a trip to pick up the people at the hotel at the end of the time window because we have it. I might put $200 into a lyft event for people to get back to the hotel as a courtesy, since you get refunded for unused money anyway. Hell, my plan for getting back to the hotel was to either hitch a ride with someone who drove or just call my own uber/lyft so, hey, why not.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 13, 2018

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Yeah, although in practice everyone was there with friends/family/a plus one, so as long as you have two people or more per car one of them can use the code for the way there and the other one on the way back. Or you could make two events, I suppose.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It says you can only add the code once, but it will apply to as many rides as needed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Guy Axlerod posted:

It says you can only add the code once, but it will apply to as many rides as needed.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Lol I misunderstood that too hahaha

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't think we'll be doing it anyway.

Our budget has been worn thin and we said from day 1 that we're not going to bother with transportation, it's going to be the guests problem and they can figure that poo poo out themselves. I'm the one being an rear end in a top hat about money and getting pissy at extra unnecessary expenses, so if I do this my fiance will probably kill me where I stand.

Then there will be no wedding at all!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Oh wow that might be a way better idea. I'm not doing a hotel block because I just feel like people can find hotels in Boston by themselves.

Will the Lyfts take you far tho? The venue is like 30-45 min outside the city

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Shnooks posted:

Oh wow that might be a way better idea. I'm not doing a hotel block because I just feel like people can find hotels in Boston by themselves.

Will the Lyfts take you far tho? The venue is like 30-45 min outside the city

Not that I’m trying to change your mind but something else to consider is that at least in my area, having a hotel block is also a heavily discounted rate for people. The wedding we’re going to next weekend is $250/night regularly but with the block booking it was $140.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Not that I’m trying to change your mind but something else to consider is that at least in my area, having a hotel block is also a heavily discounted rate for people. The wedding we’re going to next weekend is $250/night regularly but with the block booking it was $140.

I'm apprehensive on doing it because it sounds like everyone I'm inviting from out of state isn't going to come. I haven't sent out RSVPs yet but I'm really not optimistic that they'll visit.

If you do a block and nobody rents, do you get your money back at all?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Shnooks posted:

I'm apprehensive on doing it because it sounds like everyone I'm inviting from out of state isn't going to come. I haven't sent out RSVPs yet but I'm really not optimistic that they'll visit.

You dont pay for a room block. They're just setting aside a guaranteed number of rooms at a discount. It's in their interest because it means they are most likely filling up those rooms instead of them potentially sitting empty. Some require you to fill a minimum percent of the room block but other hotels dont require anything.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It depends on the hotel.

There's not really any hotels where my venue is, so we only had one obvious choice. They require a minimum block of 10 rooms and we'd be on the hook to pay for any room that isn't used. This place doesn't even give much of a discount, you're just guaranteeing that the rooms will be available.

Which is why we didn't do a block.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Renegret posted:

It depends on the hotel.

There's not really any hotels where my venue is, so we only had one obvious choice. They require a minimum block of 10 rooms and we'd be on the hook to pay for any room that isn't used. This place doesn't even give much of a discount, you're just guaranteeing that the rooms will be available.

Which is why we didn't do a block.

We ran into the same issue and also did not do any room blocks because of it.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Just to offer another perspective, I got married in downtown Denver and there are enough hotels around that I got to shop and negotiate. I think we wound up getting $50 less a night than their going rate at the Westin, and so many folks traveled that we definitely sold our whole block and then some. Plus we got a gorgeous suite to stay in, which meant it was NOT at home, we were in the same spot as all our friends, and we had space for setup and staging and congregating without worrying if our own house was clean or whatever. Having a hotel block ruled. If everyone had done their own thing they would have been scattered all over town.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Shnooks posted:

Yeah it totally depends on the individual hotel’s policy. Some places don’t charge at all, some have a minimum number of rooms that need to be rented and if they’re not, then you have to pay the difference. I think in most cases there’s a time limit so the rooms are only guaranteed until something like 30 days before, so once it gets to that date they open those rooms up to the public and the discount no longer applies.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
You all have convinced me, I'll at least look into it.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Just to further muddy the waters. I probably put 30 hours into researching and blocking 2 hotels (1 higher end, 1 lower end) for my destination wedding of ~75 guests. Literally 5 rooms were booked in the blocks, both hotels closed the blocks early because the response rate was so low, and then my (the future) MiL went ahead and hired limo service for ~*her guests and family*~ and didn't inform us until the day before, making me look like a gigantic douche in front of my friends and family. We didn't even have limo service; my sister rented an Escalade from Enterprise, and we just carted the wedding party around in it all weekend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there some sort of drop down pricing calculator for diamonds? Like I want to pick a 2.00 carat, I color, S2 inclusions, ideal cut and find out what the "list price" is, then do the drop down and change it from I color to H color (slightly more white) and see how much the price goes up. Then drop it to 1.99, 1.85 carat etc and see where the price goes. GIA diamonds all seem to be price the same at retail as near as I can tell.

Girlfriend seems to be most concerned about it not being yellow and being big, sparkly third, inclusions last.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Sort of - rare carat's site is pretty close. Diamond pricing isn't completely standardized, but browsing different combinations of characteristics there will probably get you the info you want.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
One thing about room blocks with discounts, is sometimes they’re only for specific days. For example, a friend of mine is getting married on a Sunday in August. She and her fiancée have blocks in a few different hotels with ok discounts, but only if you stay Saturday through Monday. My fiancé (by then, husband) and I are using three weeks of vacation for our own elopement/honeymoon, so we can’t really miss work and we’re doing Friday night through Sunday instead. We couldn’t book through the block at the discount rate, we had to go to hotels.com.

I suppose we could have called the hotel, but we’re both goons, that’s not gonna happen.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I sent out my save the dates with the wrong year on them. Bless Paperless Post and digital STDs, I was able to edit it and then email everyone who opened them already that the year was obviously 2019, not 2018.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shnooks posted:

I sent out my save the dates with the wrong year on them. Bless Paperless Post and digital STDs, I was able to edit it and then email everyone who opened them already that the year was obviously 2019, not 2018.

This sort of poo poo is constant for weddings.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Hadlock posted:

Is there some sort of drop down pricing calculator for diamonds? Like I want to pick a 2.00 carat, I color, S2 inclusions, ideal cut and find out what the "list price" is, then do the drop down and change it from I color to H color (slightly more white) and see how much the price goes up. Then drop it to 1.99, 1.85 carat etc and see where the price goes. GIA diamonds all seem to be price the same at retail as near as I can tell.

Most of the online diamond selling websites will have sliders that you can use to dial in what you want. But as almost all of them are just aggregating prices from dropship vendors there are some pretty wacky pricing issues that pop up.

The spread on those sites can sometimes be 50-70% between the best price and the most expensive stone. And they can't tell you why because the customer service teams never actually see the diamonds. The diamonds listed on the website remain with the dealers offering them & are only sent out once they're sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

What do you all do with your rings when it's not practical to wear them? (I'm thinking of the kitchen and in the workshop in our garage.) I'm considering just sticking a couple of command hooks up.