Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

its actually immensely frustrating, I feel like I am making so many different logins. your UBNT account, usernames for the controller, admin names which need different passwords

if I had known all this I think I would have gotten a much simpler solution, just a high quality AP that has lots of features but works standalone

especially coz this isn't my house or money

Looks like you didn't research this properly mate.

But yeah you need a controller. You can put it on a computer. You can get a cloud key from ubnt which is just a small controller or you can actually run the controller on a raspberry pi.

Or, you get a cloud controller subscription and they run the controller in the :yayclod:

They cloud key can run standalone or be connected to the :yayclod: if u want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well yeah the controller doesn’t need to be constantly running so maybe will just set and forget

anyway yeah i mean i read up about them heaps, everyone saying they’re amazing, compared models, over and over

but it was never clear that you’d need one of those controller things. i knew i’d need specific software rather than a web page to admin it but it mentioned apps heaps so i thought it was fair to assume an app on iphone was suffice

oh well :rodtronics:

anyway not a big deal the most important part is getting wifi in this house that doesn’t drop. having guest networks etc isn’t vital so may move it to standalone

kinda dumb you can’t have many features on standalone

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

anyway yeah i mean i read up about them heaps, everyone saying they’re amazing, compared models, over and over

but it was never clear that you’d need one of those controller things. i knew i’d need specific software rather than a web page to admin it but
hmm, weird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
using an app on ya iphone to control is fine

needing something installed on local hardware is different and weird

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

using an app on ya iphone to control is fine

needing something installed on local hardware is different and weird

For consumer hardware yes. For pro hardware it's normal. Ubnt is somewhere in between.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

Looks like you didn't research this properly mate.

But yeah you need a controller. You can put it on a computer. You can get a cloud key from ubnt which is just a small controller or you can actually run the controller on a raspberry pi.

Or, you get a cloud controller subscription and they run the controller in the :yayclod:

They cloud key can run standalone or be connected to the :yayclod: if u want.

is this the kind of thing?

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NETUBI1236/Ubiquiti-UniFi-Cloud-Key-Hybrid-Cloud-Device-Manag

?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yes

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
you really don’t need it. just install the controller software and configure it once. I haven’t had to touch mine in 2 years.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

freeasinbeer posted:

you really don’t need it. just install the controller software and configure it once. I haven’t had to touch mine in 2 years.

So your AP is vunerable to KRACK and whatever else security vulnerabilities in the past two years?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i use wep

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jesus WEP

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
posting this from my hacked playstation portable with custom firmware

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

please don't post my WEP key here

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it seems my attempt to summon forum user jesus WEB has failed

i rang dammit

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

netwerk23 posted:

Is anyone else seeing random system locking on Win10 1803? Even some reliable, stable systems, once brought up to 1803, are showing it. Clock stops, system totally halts. I tried reinstalling with some media that has 1803 slipstreamed in but I'm seeing the same thing. Hardware is a mix of mostly HP, ProBooks, 8300's, etc.

Looks like the connection is SSDs - all of the halting boxes have them (a mix of Samsung and WD). A test image on a platter drive is fine. There is a known issue for 1803 on some Intel SSDs, maybe it's the same thing.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
the real trick with unifi is to get the usg for home stuff, you get some neat metrics/graphs and alternating firmware versions fixing and breaking features, lets you get rid of your netburst p4 m0n0wall box or cisco 6500 or whatever you use as a router

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I have a USG at home and its a slow turd.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Shaggar posted:

I have a USG at home and its a slow turd.

functionality is an often broken feature

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i have the current gen edgemax er-4 and its fast as hell

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

so it looks like my old amd hd 6970 blew a temp sensor and is stuck at a turbine speed so i need a new card but… is this right? is the market really just nvidia cards with minor bumps from 2016?

i was eyeing a 1070/1070 ti but this stupid world is full of bitcoiners and they cost lots so i want to know its a reasonable thing to buy. the ti is a few bucks more at a lot of stores, so im thinking just go for it but the last time i cared about gpus was 2012 and it feels like i time warped to some bonkers future

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also i rolled back to the intel 3000 in my cpu and it is pretty okay on low, when itll run something. i was hoping i could hold for a full system swap, but bad ram and what appears to be a nominal increase in cpu performance for my tasks makes the gpu the only real improvement left for now

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah pretty much. supposedly 11-series are supposed to be out this summer some time

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

yeah pretty much. supposedly 11-series are supposed to be out this summer some time

from my brief glances they sound expense for the first release (all high end cards) but cheaper than the high end cards theyd replace, if mining wasnt so popular. i have this feeling that new cards will cause a sweep of current stock due to price disparity, just pushing the market base further from msrp for affordable options

theyll probably announce a new line next week or something frustrating, but the wait and see approach is a perpetual waiting game for tech :sigh:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
any goons know much about surface pros? i use an sp4, and when it’s docked it generally works fine. however, after undocking to work remotely, certain programs crash/don’t work in general. is this a known issue?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

President Beep posted:

any goons know much about surface pros? i use an sp4, and when it’s docked it generally works fine. however, after undocking to work remotely, certain programs crash/don’t work in general. is this a known issue?
surfaces pro

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yes, thank you, anthonypants. “surfaces pro”.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

President Beep posted:

they're bad op

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

agreedo. did a reinstall of one of the programs, and it kind of works now.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

sometimes I really like it, but transitioning from docked to undocked and vice versa kind of fucks with it in a few ways. similar when switching between tablet and keyboard modes as well as with screen orientation changes.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

sometimes I really like it, but transitioning from docked to undocked and vice versa kind of fucks with it in a few ways. similar when switching between tablet and keyboard modes as well as with screen orientation changes.

tim_its_microsoft_hardware.gif

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

i dared enter the shsc home nas thread and instantly regretted asking the question as i just got the idiot response about enterprise stuff because i guess sas connectors confuses people :confused:

i currently have a now ancient hp n54l and need to change the hba from the p212/256 to something that actually supports 6g sata, and hopefully get a second internal sas port, i don't really feel like going back inside the case from the external port if i can get away with it

i guess the only other requirements are half length and low profile

i'm up to 44k hours on the 3tb reds woo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have two mystery "standard serial over bluetooth link" devices listed in my laptop COM ports (as COM10 and COM11) and i can't get rid of them. if i uninstall them they just come back on the next restart, sometimes with different com numbers, but always 2 of them. they are super annoying because they gently caress with my microcontroller dev stuff.

how can i figure out what is causing these to keep appearing and get rid of them for good?

e: nm, i found it. in one of the twenty or so different control panels that have something to do with bluetooth there was an entry for the input and output ports of my cheap bluetooth earbuds

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 25, 2018

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
does anyone know a good and free photo viewer for Windows 10? I need something to give out to users for now because the inbuilt photo viewer is missing on our image.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

does anyone know a good and free photo viewer for Windows 10? I need something to give out to users for now because the inbuilt photo viewer is missing on our image.

install linux and gwenview

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Okay.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

undo whatever you did that broke the built in image viewer.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

how on earth did you manage that?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've heard that irfanview is okay, but it's awfully dumb to have to have a third party image viewer

surely you can download photos.msapp or whatever it's called from the windows store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
irfanview is good but also only free for personal use