Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

When you want your guitar to match the colour of your poo poo after a hard night of drinking Stella and eating dodgy curry:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_sg_special_bvg.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I found this amusing just for the fact that it is probably making other Slayer fans angry.
https://youtu.be/UzFFK2dXgXg

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainViolence posted:

i just listened to the first couple songs on this new album and thought it was alright. like, i probably won't seek out more or even listen to this one again, but i can see the appeal (esp to desperate 17yos). if nothing else, the very beginning with the kids singing had me :lol:ing and getting nostalgic for the your band sucks article where dr. thorpe ragged on coheed & cambria for doing that same silly poo poo to start one of their albums
Eh, I feel like Ghost/Forge are fully committed to the ham, and I can appreciate it for what they are, sorta like Alice Cooper. I still can't find it within myself to deliberately listen to a full album of C&C like I would with, say, any of Matt Pike's bands or hell, any other record from the emo/screamo scene that sorta/kinda/not really spawned Coheed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Thumposaurus posted:

I found this amusing just for the fact that it is probably making other Slayer fans angry.
https://youtu.be/UzFFK2dXgXg

This is real good

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/8rbpyc/question_mouse_has_died_in_my_guitar_how_do_i/

"[QUESTION] Mouse has died in my guitar, how do I clean it?"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

from the comments on that one

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/8oa3yt/gear_bad_experience_with_sweetwater/

quote:

This is a cautionary tale; don't source your equipment from sweetwater because they will circumcise it.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
pretty sure these have been posted before but here it is again because holy poo poo this is dumb

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Gringostar posted:

pretty sure these have been posted before but here it is again because holy poo poo this is dumb

Dumb as this is, it reminds me of something even worse that absolutely boils my piss.

Every second time I mention to somebody that I'm a musician I get the "oh, I would have loved to have played guitar but I wasn't very good at it so sold it". Well, no poo poo sherlock. I loving sucked too when I started, I just kept doing it for fifteen years until I sucked less.

Don't ask me why this particular phrase fucks my knuckles because its a throwaway comment and they don't mean anything by it, but whooo. Something to do with them ignoring the literal decade of hard work and just assuming I strolled to the nearest studio on day one and started doing sessions maybe.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Gringostar posted:

What the hell are those? Are those supposed to protect your pwecious widdle fingertips?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gringostar posted:

Are these crocs for your fingers

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gringostar posted:

Like, unless you're the In Flames guy (who's allergic to nickel, mind you), it makes zero sense to use something like this. Maybe it's marketed towards people like that? I mean, it still looks goofy as hell, but it'd be understandable.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Like, unless you're the In Flames guy (who's allergic to nickel, mind you), it makes zero sense to use something like this. Maybe it's marketed towards people like that? I mean, it still looks goofy as hell, but it'd be understandable.

My friend is allergic to nickel too, turns out that Ernie Ball makes a line of strings with cobalt and iron instead of nickel and iron so he uses that.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Wark Say posted:

The idea is that beginners use them so they can practice longer. According to the Amazon reviews they don't work very well.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they already make a thing that helps people without calluses practice longer it's called ibuprofen

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Don't ever forget the stevie ray vaughan method of just supergluing your skin back on

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Don't ever forget the stevie ray vaughan method of just supergluing your skin back on
Also Flea. And Billy Corgan. And pretty much everyone at one point in Dillinger Escape Plan. Ditto Mogwai.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Gringostar posted:

My First Tony Iommi

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Gringostar posted:

It occurs to me there may be corresponding tab books for this to help beginner guitarists get fingerings right.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I nicked the tip of my ring finger while sawing out the headstock on my DIY bass last night and I could unironically use one of these right now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Those are probably for people with physical issues tbh many of those dumb as seen for tv etc products are

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

Dumb as this is, it reminds me of something even worse that absolutely boils my piss.

Every second time I mention to somebody that I'm a musician I get the "oh, I would have loved to have played guitar but I wasn't very good at it so sold it". Well, no poo poo sherlock. I loving sucked too when I started, I just kept doing it for fifteen years until I sucked less.

Don't ask me why this particular phrase fucks my knuckles because its a throwaway comment and they don't mean anything by it, but whooo. Something to do with them ignoring the literal decade of hard work and just assuming I strolled to the nearest studio on day one and started doing sessions maybe.
Similar experience here. Once people learn that I play they want to know how to learn to play. Do I give lessons? "I've always wanted to learn to play guitar, it seems really cool; but it's so much work!"

I used to take a long time to try to explain just how excruciating those first two years were, how I have no idea what kept me going when it hurt so much and I sucked so bad. How I relied on tab and my ears to learn how to play, and realizing that so many players were playing the same blues box, etc.

I don't bother anymore. Now I just boil it down to a simple observation: If you really want to learn to play guitar, you will get a guitar and work at it. There's no secret, you just spend a lot of time holding it, hurting yourself with it, and sucking very very badly, until it gets easier and you start to really grow. There's no shortcut. Everybody's experience will be different, but if you make it through it'll be because you did this.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

This, but with local bands, when you're on tour/playing a bigger festival. "Man I wish we could go on the road" or " Man I wish we got invited to play fests like this."

Get in the loving van. It's easier than ever to tour. How in the world do you think we are here? Did we sit around looking at each other saying, "Man, I wish we were traveling right now!" Yes that's exactly what we did. So you print up some shirts, hit people up on facebook, and you get in the van. Where those first tours easy? Hell no, we had no idea what we were doing, and didn't know anybody. But it gets easier, and you learn more and more everytime.

Which directly leads into playing fests. You get offers because your name has been out there, and you've been meeting people all over the country, and (hopefully) kicking rear end. When a festival promoter has all the big slots filled, and needs to fill in the little bands, whose name comes up? The local hometown heros that open for every bigger band that comes through your town? Or the band that has been blasting around the country for a couple years?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

triple clutcher posted:

My First Tony Iommi

Lotta ex-deli guitar players in the world.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Those are probably for people with physical issues tbh many of those dumb as seen for tv etc products are

Tony Iommi probably wishes he'd had some back in the day.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. Faustus posted:

If you really want to learn to play guitar, you will get a guitar and work at it. There's no secret, you just spend a lot of time holding it, hurting yourself with it, and sucking very very badly, until it gets easier and you start to really grow. There's no shortcut. Everybody's experience will be different, but if you make it through it'll be because you did this.

100% truth

I got to where I am with guitar by literally just keeping a guitar in my hands as often as I can. If someone doesn’t enjoy the base act of playing a guitar they’ll never learn.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Dr. Faustus posted:

If you really want to learn to play guitar, you will get a guitar and work at it. There's no secret, you just spend a lot of time holding it, hurting yourself with it, and sucking very very badly, until it gets easier and you start to really grow. There's no shortcut. Everybody's experience will be different, but if you make it through it'll be because you did this.

I have a guitarist buddy who has a really sweet, unique style of playing but he doesn't develop at all because he doesn't practice ever so he's always stuck at his level (and probably getting worse as time goes on). It's kinda sad.

He actually said once that "practicing doesn't help him". I wanted to punch him.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Wugga posted:

I have a guitarist buddy who has a really sweet, unique style of playing but he doesn't develop at all because he doesn't practice ever so he's always stuck at his level (and probably getting worse as time goes on). It's kinda sad.

He actually said once that "practicing doesn't help him". I wanted to punch him.

Except for the 2nd part, that's me, totally.

What bothers me the most is that I don't feel like playing anymore :( . I listen to stuff I've recorded once in a while and wish I felt like playing again... I'm prepared to suck all over again until I get my chops back, but I just don't feel like it. It probably has a lot to do with my newish job where I'm on call every other week, and no matter what I'm doing, I have to drop everything and answer the phone when it rings, which really cuts into my enjoyment of anything engaging or fun. Maybe if I can get myself promoted above that stuff, I can get back into playing regularly again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I currently like playing but I'm usually dead loving tired and have like 30ish minutes I can play a day so I mostly just play songs that are fun

I'm not progressing really but I'm still playing

Hopefully I get a new job that doesn't kill me inside to do between commute, poo poo pay, and general shittiness soon

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I honestly never practice and I’ve gotten significantly better throughout the years. Most forms of practice sap my interest in the instrument.

This doesn’t mean I’m against it or against technicality or whatever. I’m absolutely not in any capacity.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Kilometers Davis posted:

I honestly never practice and I’ve gotten significantly better throughout the years. Most forms of practice sap my interest in the instrument.

I guess there's practicing as in playing an instrument at least for x hours a week and then there's the rigorous play every scale and mode several times a day with a metronome.

The latter is dead boring, but it's still useful. My friend does neither because "it's of no use".

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wugga posted:

I guess there's practicing as in playing an instrument at least for x hours a week and then there's the rigorous play every scale and mode several times a day with a metronome.

The latter is dead boring, but it's still useful. My friend does neither because "it's of no use".

Yeah I’m always trying new things, staying mindful of my technique and current ability, learning new scales via noodling. I practice in the way I do everything else in life, chaotic and weird. It works for me though. Sure I’d love to be at the level of a Guthrie Govan but I have no interest dedicating myself like that.

Your buddy sounds... odd. I guess. If he’s happy though I can’t hate on him too much.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I’m always trying new things, staying mindful of my technique and current ability, learning new scales via noodling. I practice in the way I do everything else in life, chaotic and weird. It works for me though. Sure I’d love to be at the level of a Guthrie Govan but I have no interest dedicating myself like that.

Your buddy sounds... odd. I guess. If he’s happy though I can’t hate on him too much.

Guess I should've added that he complains about not getting any better. :v:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ugggggh

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Kilometers Davis posted:

That's exactly how I eventually learned to play. I still can't read music. Oh, I can read guitar tab, but I can't look at it and play it... I have to hear it and noodle around to find it... tab is like a map to me, not an instruction manual. I'm terrible.

I had a lovely self-amplified Toys-R-Us guitar that took two 9V batteries that died within about an hour of playing, so my early months of playing must have driven my folks nuts. My dad showed me how to read those "box chords" on music, and basically said "That's everythign I know... go nuts".

I started by figuring out some songs I liked-- mostly The Cars and some poorly transcribed Van Halen-- and learning to contort my fingers to make the chord shapes I saw, and make it sound close. Repeat for months and months until certain things start to gel in my mind-- moving the chord shapes up and down makes chords in different keys! This changes EVERYTHING!-- and callouses go from painful to useful.

Learn how to read guitar tab, get a slightly better guitar/amp setup, learn about tuning up and down to match the record, playing along with songs trying to learn them. That last pretty much got me banned from playing while my parents were home lol. There's only so many times you can listen to someone trying to learn a song over and over again before you go mad, unless you're the one trying to play it.

And so on... I'm sure that taking lessons, learning proper technique from the beginning, and learning to shred scales would have helped a LOT, but the path I took was still fun and enlightening. I say whatever method you use to learn an instrument is a good one if you end up making sounds you like.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Playing along with CDs was my best preparation for playing in a band. The summer after High School (1989 lol) I did it every day after work before my Dad came home and made me turn down. The first soloist I could sorta cop was David Gilmour and I still think he's a great guy to start out with, because his blues-box playing will help you understand so many other rock guitarists, before and after. Tab helps fill in the gaps, but speed and technical ability only comes from slowing it way down and practicing.

Then I found out I had to learn to sing while playing. That's a whole new kettle o fish.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Wugga posted:

Guess I should've added that he complains about not getting any better. :v:

I think I just got an Unmotivated Gifted Kid-bingo.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I'm a practical learned so my best method of practice has always been just to get out and do something. Gotta jump off the cliff sometimes. I wanted to learn keys, so last year I got a gig in a ska band and then bought an organ (in that order). I knew how to play a major and a minor triad and the basic layout of the keyboard which covered most of what I needed, and then the rest was just getting decent sounds and playing a lot of grace notes until I'd found my hands properly.

There's definitely been a few practices where I've kind of nodded serenely as they explained the structure and then turned the volume right down to get through until I can go home and work out what the gently caress a demented fifth is, but that's part of the fun and at least I have a goal to reach towards at that point.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have no idea what kept me going when it hurt so much and I sucked so bad.

For me it was puberty. Lots of free time, lots of angsty feelings to express, and the dim hope that if I actually got good at music somebody might touch my penis someday.

Spoiler: it worked and it was pretty great

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m glad I never had a real social life. All I did through puberty was play guitar and play videogames.

Nothing has changed really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

shut your bitch rear end idiot mouth

Sitter-downer spotted in the wild.