Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CottonWolf posted:

I have never understood this. Like, who on earth thinks this is a sensible thing to do?

If you want a timeline of everything that led to this I can give you a longer post but the quick answer is "the same people who almost went bankrupt twice over making movies if I were to take a guess."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Reminder that the Four Job Fiesta starts today-ish, so if you want to pre-reg and get a Berserker, better do it soon.

Goon Thread

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Elentor posted:

"the same people who almost went bankrupt twice over making movies if I were to take a guess."
Checks out.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Nomura has been director of like ten games in the last ten years that have all come out so the idea that he's only responsible for long delays seems bit off

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
handheld games don't exist for many people

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagining a world where all square does is releasing games that are bound by handheld limitations and don't have to be the most technologically advanced things ever made would actually be pretty great.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Renoistic posted:

I do believe that Nomura and S-E belong together. I can't ever get mad at them no matter which insane business decision they take or delay they cause by mismanagement. Whenever I hear the latest news I just raise my hands and go 'That's S-E!'

Of course, it helps that I never understood the need for a FF7 remake. I'll just play it when/if it comes out. But if it doesn't ever get a release date, I'm fine with that too. I still have the original, and it's fine, warts and all.

I won't because it will be bad and not true to the spirit of the original

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Elentor posted:

Imagining a world where all square does is releasing games that are bound by handheld limitations and don't have to be the most technologically advanced things ever made would actually be pretty great.

Yeah, SE is actually pretty solid at lower-spec stuff, it's just their flagship high-end graphics-pushing stuff that tends to take forever.

Unfortunately I doubt that's going away any time soon, but at least the games that do come out from that eventually are drat pretty.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

morallyobjected posted:

Nomura has been director of like ten games in the last ten years that have all come out so the idea that he's only responsible for long delays seems bit off

My favourite crazy Nomura story is the time he got completely wasted and then dragged Hajime Tabata back to the office so he could detail on a whiteboard basically the entire outline of Kingdom Hearts: Coded

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I like the “turn Versus XIII into a musical” story. I’ll be eternally regretful the higher ups didn’t buy it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CottonWolf posted:

I like the “turn Versus XIII into a musical” story. I’ll be eternally regretful the higher ups didn’t buy it.

I don't because it was never a serious pitch, he was clearly having a joke. Where as the "Drunk off my rear end making a new game" is totally serious, which enhances the comedy.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

He was? I never can tell.

Either way, a mainline FF musical game could only be amazing or cataclysmically bad. Both of which would be worth experiencing.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 17, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

CottonWolf posted:

He was? I never can tell.

Either way, a mainline FF musical game could only be amazing or cataclysmically bad. Both of which would be worth experiencing.

https://youtu.be/l65fmEZHUrM

KingBomber69
Feb 25, 2018

by VideoGames

Attitude Indicator posted:

I haven't played it for years, but they are all viable i believe. just depends on what you like and keep in mind wait time for dungeons if you're a dps class.

Yeah I looove the FF series so I'm really interested in poopsocking my way through the Summer.

I was thinking of doing the whole BM thing cuz I played WoW:WotLK

I gently caress the whole thing on j00tuub .. Got a decent amount of views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrQHtwQ0KRw :hellyeah:

I know it's not ff14 but who cares

(not me LoL)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That is impressively bad. It barely qualifies as a song.

KingBomber69
Feb 25, 2018

by VideoGames

CottonWolf posted:

That is impressively bad. It barely qualifies as a song.

One winged angel, The Prodigy .. It's a remix also response to ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqeQXkrherQ

Mage go pewpewpew!

:colbert:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
the gently caress?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Game: Keep Ovelia alive! It's Game Over if you don't!
Me: yeah, ok.
*Ovelia immediately runs as far away from me as possible and gets killed in the first round before I have any chance of reaching her*
Game: You idiot! Game Over! gently caress you!

i hate FFT

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Wait until you meet Rafa.

The trick is to strip a character nude so the enemies will want to target that character instead of the suicidal idiot NPC.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Wait until you meet Rafa.

The trick is to strip a character nude so the enemies will want to target that character instead of the suicidal idiot NPC.

I gave it another go and this time Ovelia pulled back a bit and the battle went fine. Then I got to the gallows which is a whole different type of hosed up. This game has some serious balance issues.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
wasn't fft square's first SRPG, give 'em a lil' slack

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

I will keep the rope taut, thank you

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
The suicidal AI was bullshit even back then.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

They made Bahamut Lagoon and probably some other SNES thing I can't remember. And Matsuno had made the Ogre Battle games previously

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Nomura being drunk all the time would really explain so much.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bentacos posted:

Nomura being drunk all the time would really explain so much.

if nomura is drunk all the time, he's the only drunk who acts like that

his flights of fancy are more reminiscent of cocaine-snorting fellows who always have a "great idea for a business"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

It should be noted that FFT ripped its gameplay from Tactics Ogre which was also done by Matsuno.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ehhhh they play pretty differently as far as sprgs go. Like there's some stark difference on how turns go that make archers OP in tactics ogre and poo poo in FFT for example.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What will come out first, FF7R or KH3?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

We literally have a release date for kh3 and it's playable publicly

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

morallyobjected posted:

Technically, he's been co-director on those games. Nomura handles the conceptual and story part of the game. Most of the actual day-to-day development of games is done by a co-director, such as Tai Yasue or Hajime Tabata.

Here's what co-director Tai Yasue said about working on Kingdom Hearts 3 with Nomura:

quote:

Legendary Square Enix designer Tetsuya Nomura recently stepped down as director of Square Enix's Final Fantasy 15 to focus on Kingdom Hearts 3.

"Nothing has really changed," Yasue said when asked whether the move had benefited development of the game.

"The development team is in Osaka, and Nomura-san didn't really do a lot of the detailed stuff, as he's really the sort of creative visionary.

"We communicate as much as we did previously, so our working relationship hasn't changed at all. We are speeding up things for development, obviously, on Kingdom Hearts 3 as we move along, but I don't think it has anything to do with Final Fantasy."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-04-kingdom-hearts-3-dev-discusses-with-switch-from-luminous-to-unreal-engine-4

He can still affect development if keeps increasing the scope of the game or doesn't have a good idea of what the final game will play like, which was what happened with Versus XIII.

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, SE is actually pretty solid at lower-spec stuff, it's just their flagship high-end graphics-pushing stuff that tends to take forever.

Unfortunately I doubt that's going away any time soon, but at least the games that do come out from that eventually are drat pretty.

For next gen, I expect 1000+ Assassin's Creed/Destiny style teams to be the norm in AAA gaming. Many of the big Western publishers are consolidating resources on AAA service games that keep players engaged for years. If Japanese publishers can't keep up, then they'll become even more marginalized than they already are.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yo why in the gently caress does Luna Freya not go all hardcore spirit trident on the fuckin' immortal ones rear end. I mean she totally just put a bitch slap on an elder god of the deep and is all "I AM THE ORACLE HEAR MY ROAR" like some kinda ridiculous knock off Katy Perry and yet takes a frickin dagger through the gut from the biggest spooky rear end in a top hat in the entire game. Like, surely she's had interactions with that dumb hat wearing dipshit earlier on and would be prepared for a double cross and knifing.

There are some serious plot contrivances going on and I just want Ignis to get some magical/mechanical eyeballs so he can cook up a nice meal of boiled monster testicles or whatever. Thank god I want Noctis to die because he's a huge bitch. Gladio is Not Wrong in being a total rear end in a top hat and slapping some sense into our dear Prince.

I'm sitting at the pause at hammerhead right before starting chapter 15. Going back and knocking out some of the harder dungeons. Costlemark Castle is a pain in the butt and I think it's bugged. The Myrllwood/ Steyliff Groveis locked out and I can't go do monster quests which is annoying but not the end of the world.

I can't recall if I've done the Boulves mines yet. All I want is some closure at this point. I'm 68 hours in and this poo poo is getting really tiring.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finish the game, and also if you want things to go back to how they were before thats why you have a magic time-traveling dog.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

MC Hawking posted:

Yo why in the gently caress does Luna Freya not go all hardcore spirit trident on the fuckin' immortal ones rear end. I mean she totally just put a bitch slap on an elder god of the deep and is all "I AM THE ORACLE HEAR MY ROAR" like some kinda ridiculous knock off Katy Perry and yet takes a frickin dagger through the gut from the biggest spooky rear end in a top hat in the entire game. Like, surely she's had interactions with that dumb hat wearing dipshit earlier on and would be prepared for a double cross and knifing.

There are some serious plot contrivances going on and I just want Ignis to get some magical/mechanical eyeballs so he can cook up a nice meal of boiled monster testicles or whatever. Thank god I want Noctis to die because he's a huge bitch. Gladio is Not Wrong in being a total rear end in a top hat and slapping some sense into our dear Prince.

I'm sitting at the pause at hammerhead right before starting chapter 15. Going back and knocking out some of the harder dungeons. Costlemark Castle is a pain in the butt and I think it's bugged. The Myrllwood/ Steyliff Groveis locked out and I can't go do monster quests which is annoying but not the end of the world.

I can't recall if I've done the Boulves mines yet. All I want is some closure at this point. I'm 68 hours in and this poo poo is getting really tiring.

Everything after the end of chapter 9 is a long, looooong, loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong dream sequence. You're getting very sleepy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hate FFXV because it's like a shittier version of FFX

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

MC Hawking posted:

Just finish the game?
The game will dump you in a post game mode when you've beaten the final boss if you feel like going back and doing the rest of the optional stuff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you don't like a game don't play it. Does someone have a gun to your head or something

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
god will judge us

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
"I just want this video game to end" I say as I walk away from the final boss to do 20 more hours of sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MC Hawking posted:

Because women in refrigerators to further motivate a male main character is still a thing. They're pretty and powerful until the writer doesn't need them to be anymore then they're disposable. Thank you for playing.