Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Dark Souls 1 is bad Dark Souls 2 and 3 are good, and Bloodborne is very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

day of defeat was better than counterstrike

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I never played the call of duty games at the time because they had a “game for Jock bros”, “lowest common denominator” reputation etc.

I sort of remember all this stuff in games press but very tangentially, I figured MW was great because of Raven being involved somehow? Their logo shows up at the beginning.

anyway, yeah, good game and I should’ve played it earlier

When MW came out the COD brand definitely didn't have the "dumb game for jocks" reputation, it was at the leading edge of FPS innovation, with each installment being a great experience.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Yivgev posted:

day of defeat was better than counterstrike

Wolf ET was better than both

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Case in point. Modern warfare 1) was not set in ww2 like 99.99% of all snooty games at that time and 2) killed off your player character in a hoo ah America type game. 3) used cool set pieces to really create the feel that you were playing through an action movie.

A lot of that isn't all that exciting anymore, but when it came out it was a hugely innovative breath of fresh air.

In the same way that the original call of duty looked at every shooter before it and said, "fighting alone against the hordes is dumb." And filled the game with allied dudes to fight alongside you

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Rock My Socks! posted:

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Rock My Socks! posted:

you will rue the day (of defeat)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FoolyCharged posted:

Case in point. Modern warfare 1) was not set in ww2 like 99.99% of all snooty games at that time and 2) killed off your player character in a hoo ah America type game. 3) used cool set pieces to really create the feel that you were playing through an action movie.

A lot of that isn't all that exciting anymore, but when it came out it was a hugely innovative breath of fresh air.

In the same way that the original call of duty looked at every shooter before it and said, "fighting alone against the hordes is dumb." And filled the game with allied dudes to fight alongside you

I played the newer ones (infinite war fare and uhhh gently caress I don’t even remember the name, the one before it, so generic) right before MW and it’s not just the set pieces, there’s something well made in MW - pacing, decent story, good level design.

Like I knew about the nuclear bomb mission (and a bunch of other famous missions) but even knowing what was going to happen, it was extremely effective, awesome moment.

I was rolling my eyes at the tutorial but by mission 6 I was fully into it

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I played the newer ones (infinite war fare and uhhh gently caress I don’t even remember the name, the one before it, so generic) right before MW and it’s not just the set pieces, there’s something well made in MW - pacing, decent story, good level design.

Like I knew about the nuclear bomb mission (and a bunch of other famous missions) but even knowing what was going to happen, it was extremely effective, awesome moment.

I was rolling my eyes at the tutorial but by mission 6 I was fully into it

any game that name-drops NEST is pretty cool imo. see also: Metal Gear Solid

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

punk rebel ecks posted:

Blighttown is one of the best areas in Dark Souls.

you can live there whilst i make a garden home with my bro andre of astora

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

IDONTPOST posted:

That doesn't even make any sense

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Exactly, it's a shame what happened to the COD name, cause at one point it really held a lot of promise.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

fruit on the bottom posted:

That doesn't even make any sense

The only way those words in that order are at all coherent is if they're followed immediately by the word "rear end"

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
FF6 is a good game and all but it's worshippers are just as bad as FF7 fans. So many people jerk off over FF6 but I feel like a good portion of the circle jerk are just people trying to be contrary about FF7.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just came in here to say the new quake fuckin rules, and I'ma let it finish, but wolf:et is the best multiplayer FPS of ALL TIME

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
FF7 is a boring game, half of its soundtrack is a grating dirge and I see no reason why a non-brokebrain would want to play all 200 hours of it or whatever

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

olives black posted:

FF7 is a boring game, half of its soundtrack is a grating dirge and I see no reason why a non-brokebrain would want to play all 200 hours of it or whatever

also gently caress the prerendered cutscenes that use the lego versions of the characters instead of the battle models. wtf is that poo poo

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Senuas sacrifice is tedious, unfun and in general a terrible experience. Graphics and sound are nice but I am now mad at a video game.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

olives black posted:

I bought a ps1 copy approximately a decade ago and got to disc 3 before the PS3 yellow-light-of-deathed due to overheating/dissapating silver paste. I did not care to try to restart the game to finish it.

Ironically, a similar thing happened when I played ff8 on my PS2, but I found that one worth it to restart (and play a low level/no encounter/card run).

E. Triple triad alone makes ff8 worth it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It should be all mario, no items, final destination.

To this day I don't understand why it was fox in that meme and at this point I'm afraid to ask.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

To this day I don't understand why it was fox in that meme and at this point I'm afraid to ask.

He was the big meta char for a while iirc. Almost most everyone knew that one guy who'd try to enforce meta rules when you just wanted to drink/get high and smash bros.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

FoolyCharged posted:

IIRC this meme was back during Melee, and Fox was considered to be the top character in all the community tier lists

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

hawowanlawow posted:

just came in here to say the new quake fuckin rules, and I'ma let it finish, but wolf:et is the best multiplayer FPS of ALL TIME

Theres a new quake game????????

i wish

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zzulu posted:

Theres a new quake game????????

i wish

Yes and the Quake guy dies in the freaking intro, like a chump

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

vudan posted:

Senuas sacrifice is tedious, unfun and in general a terrible experience. Graphics and sound are nice but I am now mad at a video game.

Yeah, i didn't like it a whole lot either. The actual "game" bit is archaic and tedious as gently caress and the gimmick gets boring after a while because the voices just say the same sort of poo poo over and over.

Maybe that's kind of the point of the thing but it isn't particularly enjoyable to play.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Random characters, high items, random stage.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aschlafly posted:

the mantra of the fun haver

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Twelve Batmans posted:

Ehhhh uuuuh aaaaaah

Nah they definitely do.

Proof? Look at MMO's.

gently caress off nazi

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aschlafly posted:

That's my ninja way.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
The last quarter prototype kinda sucks. it's hard to feel like a badass when almost every baddy can stunlock or grab you.

Healthy Nut Snack
Mar 23, 2016

IDONTPOST posted:

Unpopular doesn’t have to mean straight-up wrong.

Why don’t you like DaS 1 and BB?

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Healthy Nut Snack posted:

Bloodborne’s pvp and character progression were very boring. You could either be a guy with the big lightning sword with useless magic or a guy with smaller weapons and the really dumb guns that was it. I found the game to be pretty easy besides the gimmick area whichever becomes really easy once you know what to do. Enviornment was cool because lovecraft is cool but I can’t give them a pass on that alone.

Didn’t play Dark Souls 1 until now so I have no nostalgia for it. It’s clunky as hell and the only challenge I’ve ran into is the game just making bad and janky design choices. I don’t want to wait halfway through the game to teleport, gently caress an interconnected layered world with shortcuts I just want to kill some bosses.

Dark Souls 2 unironically the best souls game.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

:chanpop:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I will never understand why people say Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game. Probably the biggest "direct to video" sequel feeling game since No More Heroes 2.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Seemingly unpopular opinion: If a PC game has more DRM than Steam (i.e., Denuvo, Uplay, etc.), then it's a glorified rental, and I don't even consider it. If I still want to play it, it's purely a console game to me, since I'm not going to ask permission to play what I buy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I will never understand why people say Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game. Probably the biggest "direct to video" sequel feeling game since No More Heroes 2.

I usually can't figure out if they are just being contrarian, or if they are some weird breed that loves a bunch of random poo poo about the series no one else does.

Either way imo it takes a remarkable lack of appreciation for the entire series to come to the conclusion that DS2 is somehow the best one. it's still pretty drat fun, but it is an ugly, poorly executed, half baked mess compared to literally everything else "soulslike" From has made.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
PC games that don't alt-tab cleanly can kiss my rear end

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Force Unleashed 2

The extremely underwhelming sequel to the already not-that-good first game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Healthy Nut Snack posted:

I think not liking Bloodborne is insane, but people shouldn't be forced to defend their unpopular opinions in the unpopular opinions thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Dark Souls was just never that good to begin with

It was different though and gained traction fast and a lot of it was held up with "if u dont like it, u just dont like challenges" hype poo poo

It wasn't even that hard! The hardest fight for me was the first dual wielding demon in Dark Souls 2 but only because the camera was poo poo lol

Anyway, I enjoyed the bossfights. The rest of the game was pretty bad. Ugly cramped levels, boring enemies, lots of bugs etc