Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Serephina posted:

What's the compression and latency like on that? Am I correct that you are literally streaming a 1080p video stream for this?

I think you're basically right, after I bought the Steam key I didn't have to download x many GB, it just installed at the touch of a button and away I went. Seems pretty good, the screen goes very slightly fuzzy every now and then but no complaints. Just would like to be able to make the mouse pointer move quicker- the tutorial is constantly making me click to the right side of the screen, then click at the left, then the top a few times in a row etc, and moving the pointer that far requires me to move my mouse probably about a foot at a time... but I dunno if that's because I'm playing through their server or if it's just built into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I went back and spent a few days at work trying to play Civ1 again online and I'm even worse at that than I am Civ6. I have no frame of reference for where I should be at year X, or what to prioritize, etc. And I can't find any guides or videos on how to play 1 since it's so old. It's a fun diversion but I don't like being so lost.

Fortify phalanx in forts on hills, forests and mountains on your borders. You are now invincible.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Fhqwhgads posted:

I went back and spent a few days at work trying to play Civ1 again online and I'm even worse at that than I am Civ6. I have no frame of reference for where I should be at year X, or what to prioritize, etc. And I can't find any guides or videos on how to play 1 since it's so old. It's a fun diversion but I don't like being so lost.

Last I heard, the correct way to play Civ I was to build the colossus, make infinite money, and research literally everything except electricity. There may have been some interim steps.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

John F Bennett posted:

Fortify phalanx in forts on hills, forests and mountains on your borders. You are now invincible.

phalanxes - historically brilliant at fighting in bad terrain and not horribly vulnerable to it at all

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gort posted:

phalanxes - historically brilliant at fighting in bad terrain and not horribly vulnerable to it at all

also historically used as battleship-killers in WWII

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Only the great atomic war of 2245 was able to destroy the ancient phalanx armies.

It is known.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Just make sure your castle looks nice.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I miss the eclectic castles I built.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Man I forgot all about castle building. That was a much better minigame than city tile building micromanagement.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a decent mod for R&F for WASD panning?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Cartoon posted:

How are people going with achievements? Is there any interest with that sideshow? I'm left with mostly the frustratingly hard ones and random ones like 100th Anniversary.

I'm right at 50%. Since 6 doesn't have a hall of fame (what the gently caress??) I've used it as a substitute. Historically, I wouldn't let myself play a Civ I had in my top 10 to encourage diversity, but since I don't have that option* I've just been going for new achievements.

*I'm pretty close to maxing out all but the random and ridiculous ones, so I'm contemplating just making a notepad file and making my own hall of fame.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

TipTow posted:

I'm right at 50%. Since 6 doesn't have a hall of fame (what the gently caress??) I've used it as a substitute. Historically, I wouldn't let myself play a Civ I had in my top 10 to encourage diversity, but since I don't have that option* I've just been going for new achievements.

*I'm pretty close to maxing out all but the random and ridiculous ones, so I'm contemplating just making a notepad file and making my own hall of fame.
73% here :smuggo: Which is why I'm curious about the random and ridiculous ones. "Flight Slingulator" is not as easy as it sounds.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

I'm in the 1500's playing standard speed on my first run through. I feel like the speed is slower than previous versions. Maybe I should try "quick" or kill off more of the AI to quicken the pace?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why yes this is exactly what I wanted when I selected legendary start. But at least this one isn't 20-50% featureless tundra.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm enjoying the game a lot so far, the NVIDIA streaming works well, particularly as a turn-based game. While occasional freezes or buffering would doom a FPS or fighting game, it's absolutely fine for Civ. I had to install the enhanced user interface mod, the game was nigh unplayable without it, mind.

I like a game that offers a good story. In my first full play-through as England I had Brazil invade my poorly-defended capital, some horsemen suddenly appearing without warning. Luckily I could change my civics to go defensive, as one archer and one slinger probably would not have survived. But I eventually beat them off (ooer) and rather than suiciding in my territory they actually retreated to lick their wounds. And then I eventually conquered their territory in response. Later in the game, Rome started bothering me, and it was just about the time I got Redcoats, so I started another war to conquer them. And I didn't mind when everyone condemned me as a warmonger, whereas in previous games they seemed to hammer me like that without provocation.

I'm just worried the game might be a bit samey, so I might need to buy extra civs (or the expansion) to enjoy repeated playthroughs...

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

DaStampede posted:

I'm in the 1500's playing standard speed on my first run through. I feel like the speed is slower than previous versions. Maybe I should try "quick" or kill off more of the AI to quicken the pace?

Standard speed is agonizing for me. My usual solo game is online speed, small map. Usually takes 6-8 hours for a full playthrough.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

TipTow posted:

Standard speed is agonizing for me. My usual solo game is online speed, small map. Usually takes 6-8 hours for a full playthrough.

Thanks, I feel less crazy now. I'm going to spend tonight wiping out the other continent for a faster victory and never touch standard speed again.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
What are the best map settings to tweak if you want to play an overpowered Wilhelmina game?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

DaStampede posted:

Thanks, I feel less crazy now. I'm going to spend tonight wiping out the other continent for a faster victory and never touch standard speed again.

I'll probably give this game type a go as well. In the game I was playing yesterday I was about to start wiping out the other continent but suddenly won a culture victory, seemingly from nowhere. Probably from all the archaeological artifacts I started digging up?

For a small map I think adding a seventh player is probably best, just so it feels more like the earlier Civ games...

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Marmaduke! posted:

I'll probably give this game type a go as well. In the game I was playing yesterday I was about to start wiping out the other continent but suddenly won a culture victory, seemingly from nowhere. Probably from all the archaeological artifacts I started digging up?

I was in the 1600's with plutonium and aircraft. It seemed way off.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I will say, playing online doesn't work very well if you're playing on a large or huge map. In trying to unlock achievements I realized that since unit movement doesn't scale getting across a map before your units go obsolete in a 250-turn game was going to be pretty daunting at either of those sizes. My one large game at quick speed and huge game on standard worked just fine though I'm never doing either again

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

DaStampede posted:

I was in the 1600's with plutonium and aircraft. It seemed way off.

Yeah although I went up a difficulty level in my last game (and playing terribly!) I was just about in the modern era by 1500 this time, feels quite weird.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

TipTow posted:

I will say, playing online doesn't work very well if you're playing on a large or huge map. In trying to unlock achievements I realized that since unit movement doesn't scale getting across a map before your units go obsolete in a 250-turn game was going to be pretty daunting at either of those sizes. My one large game at quick speed and huge game on standard worked just fine though I'm never doing either again
I've been playing with the Quo mod quite a bit lately. Probably the single best feature is 'Rocket Boots' - all units generally get +1 movement with some tweaks to ranged units to balance that out. Makes a huge difference in the game.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I’m perfectly fine with this let’s play morphing into a let’s read.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

dy. posted:

I've been playing with the Quo mod quite a bit lately. Probably the single best feature is 'Rocket Boots' - all units generally get +1 movement with some tweaks to ranged units to balance that out. Makes a huge difference in the game.

Thanks for the rec. One of my issues with bigger maps is my kinda-lovely laptop takes forever to whirr through all the AI turns, so with more players turns take longer. But I might have to give this a whirl.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
Is Rise and Fall worth buying at the Steam sale? I haven't touched this game since January but that was partly due to real life.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

torsoboy posted:

Is Rise and Fall worth buying at the Steam sale? I haven't touched this game since January but that was partly due to real life.

if you like civ 6 you'll enjoy the new civs. if you don't like civ 6 it won't change your mind

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

25% off isn't the most exciting deal, but I think I am going to take it. I want to try some of those leaders.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

DaStampede posted:

25% off isn't the most exciting deal, but I think I am going to take it. I want to try some of those leaders.

If you think you'll like it you probably will. The new civs are generally more interesting than the ones that came with the base game, much like in Civ5

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I was waiting for the dlc to go on sale. The only one I'm on the fence about is Vikings. I don't care about scenarios, but the natural wonders and City states seem ok.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vikings is the least exciting of the DLC, yeah. Nice to have, and if you want to do multiplayer games on PYDT you'll probably need it since most people do "All DLC" games there (though you could make your own with all the DLC except it I suppose, I doubt many people would refuse to join based on that one being gone), but otherwise not essential.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 22, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I made a mod that fixes one of the issues I find most annoying: not having any information about the world when confronted with a diplomatic decision. (For example someone jumps up to ask if you want to be friends, and you have no idea what their relation is to other civs, how powerful they are, or even where they are.)

This mod lets you see all of the world relations along with a map to help you make more informed decisions. It will show up during any diplomatic action including: trading, requests for friendship, being praised, or being yelled at.

Hovering over any leader will show their stats. Right-clicking on any leader will show their relation to each other leader.

Here is a civfanatics link to my mod.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/diplomacy-world-view.633771/

Let me know what you think.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 24, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

The Human Crouton posted:

I made a mod that fixes one of the issues I find most annoying: not having any information about the world when confronted with a diplomatic decision. (For example someone jumps up to ask if you want to be friends, and you have no idea what their relation is to other civs, how powerful they are, or even where they are.)

This mod lets you see all of the world relations along with a map to help you make more informed decisions. It will show up during any diplomatic action including: trading, requests for friendship, being praised, or being yelled at.

Hovering over any leader will show their stats. Right-clicking on any leader will show their relation to each other leader.

i.imgur.com/VEieRG1

Here is a civfanatics link to my mod.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/diplomacy-world-view.633771/

Let me know what you think.

This looks awesome! I’ll try it out for sure.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any chance of a release on steam workshop? I'd use that for sure.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Any chance of a release on steam workshop? I'd use that for sure.

Yes, in a week or two.

I want to test it out with reasonable people before I release it to the angry morons on steam.

There are some bugs I'm still working out right now, like the map not moving out of the way for trade, espionage, or governors. There's no consistent event to tie to for those, I'm afraid.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 24, 2018

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Finally got the expansion thanks to the discount. More importantly, I can play with mods again! Which are the cool new ones nowadays?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The most necessary mod is the one that replaces the tech/wonder quotes.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

onesixtwo posted:

This looks awesome! I’ll try it out for sure.

Cool.

Just a heads up, that I've updated the civfanatics thread with a new version that operates more cleanly with trade, espionage, and governor panels.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

The Human Crouton posted:

Cool.

Just a heads up, that I've updated the civfanatics thread with a new version that operates more cleanly with trade, espionage, and governor panels.

So far this works perfectly in single player, but I haven’t had a PYDT hotseat MP game load properly with it through the six different games I’ve tested it out with. These could be games started in an older patch, so thats hard to account for possibly?

As to the actual error, it doesn’t show any information when I hover over my own portrait in all hotseat games, and in some other hotseat games it seems to be selective over who does / doesn’t get the information to pop up. It isn’t a difference between friendly / unfriendly, AI or human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Yeah, I haven't tested in multiplayer at all. Mostly because I assume that I need to be in a multiplayer game to test properly.

I don't know if an old patch would affect this, since this mod touches very few game files in very few places, but of course that is a possibility.

I'll likely go and test this out in hot seat after I officially release the single player version in steam(Probably this Saturday). I'll have to see how the Diplomacy Ribbon mod I stole as part of my mod works in hot seat first. I'm assuming it's an issue with my edits though because the creator of the diplomacy ribbon is a pretty thorough modder.

I should probably go and edit my modinfo so it doesn't claim to be multiplayer or hotseat compatible when selecting it. I'll add that in my next update.

Thanks for testing it out. Update me with how it continues to work out in your single player games.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 25, 2018