Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DirtyRobot posted:

I have one that's driving me nuts. I'm looking for a letter (and the story to which the letter refers) where -- I think -- Ernest Hemingway submits a story and in his letter to the editor is like, "Hey, so here's a story about a guy who goes home and commits suicide, but uh, I left out the part where he goes home and commits suicide. Readers will get it, though. Peace."

I think this letter was for his story, "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place," but if so...

(1) Google is failing me, because it's all just really crappy high school analysis. I've tried searching Google Books previews of Hemingway's collected letters, but so far nothing in what's actually available.

(2) I do have some doubts, because the suicide thing is pretty drat explicit in that story, and my memory says the quotation is from a story people wouldn't have thought was about a guy's final few hours before he offs himself. I could be wrong, though.

(3) I seem to recall seeing the quotation/letter on Wikipedia, and yet I can't find any reference to the letter/quote on the wiki article for that story, or in the article's older revisions.

Another thought I had was "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" by J. D. Salinger, but no luck that I can find there, either. And again, in that one, the suicide is even more explicit.

Maybe searching through Letters of Note will bring it to light?

http://www.lettersofnote.com/search?q=hemingway
http://www.lettersofnote.com/search?q=suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

DirtyRobot posted:

I have one that's driving me nuts. I'm looking for a letter (and the story to which the letter refers) where -- I think -- Ernest Hemingway submits a story and in his letter to the editor is like, "Hey, so here's a story about a guy who goes home and commits suicide, but uh, I left out the part where he goes home and commits suicide. Readers will get it, though. Peace."

Perhaps Out Of Season? For instance...

http://www.amerlit.com/sstory/SSTORY%20Hemingway,%20Ernest%20Out%20of%20Season%20(1925)%20analysis%20by%204%20critics.pdf posted:

“In A Moveable Feast Hemingway said that the first story he wrote after ‘losing everything’—that is, after most of his manuscripts had been stolen—was ‘Out of Season’ and that the ‘real end’ of the story (based on his new theory of omission) was that ‘the old man hanged himself’ after the story’s conclusion…. In a December 1925 letter to F. Scott Fitzgerald, written almost two years after the completion of ‘Out of Season’…Hemingway said…‘At that time I was writing the In Our Time chapters and I wanted to write a tragic story without violence. So I didn’t put in the hanging. Maybe that sounds silly. I didn’t think the story needed it.’

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Movable Feasts were around back in Hemingway's day? I thought that was just a thing my local college did with its creative writing students.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:raise: what?

Moveable feasts are holidays that don't fall on the same date each year, such as easter. Hemingway uses it as a metaphor for Paris itself. It's also a great book & the Fitzgerald penis anecdote is for the gods.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

uvar posted:

Perhaps Out Of Season? For instance...

Yessss I think this is it. Thank you!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Krankenstyle posted:

:raise: what?

Moveable feasts are holidays that don't fall on the same date each year, such as easter. Hemingway uses it as a metaphor for Paris itself. It's also a great book & the Fitzgerald penis anecdote is for the gods.

Okay that makes more sense. Whoops. I'll check the book out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

branedotorg posted:

what was that one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AP2UVV6/

Ecko Rising by Danie Ware. I don't recall much about the book, so I dunno if it's good or not, but it's the first I think in a trilogy.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
This is embarrassing as hell but whatever.

It was a Harry Potter fanfiction, I'm pretty sure it was from fanfiction.net, about Neville dealing with his parents' madness and the aftermath of a suicide attempt.

I know I attempted to find this ages ago but there's just too much garbage to sort through.

Edit: never mind I found it and it was horrible.

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 12, 2018

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I am looking for a YA novel I read around 2000(??) about some national high school band get together, and the protagonist gets roomed with a drummer from winnipeg. They sneak out every night, and the roomate plays at the clubs they go to, and is a sensation. The protagonist sneaks him back out of the club. They get fame by doing this a few times..

Anyone know what I am thinking of? it was very bill&Ted vive.

Femur fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 14, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Femur posted:

I am looking for a YA novel I read around 2000(??) about some national high school band get together, and the protagonist gets roomed with a drummer from winnipeg. They sneak out every night, and the roomate plays at the clubs they go to, and is a sensation. The protagonist sneaks him back out of the club. They get fame by doing this a few times..

Anyone know what I am thinking of? it was very bill&Ted vive.

Who Is Bugs Potter? by Gordon Korman? I haven't read it, but the synopsis sounds very close, and your summary sounds like an extremely Gordon Korman book.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

ToxicFrog posted:

Who Is Bugs Potter? by Gordon Korman? I haven't read it, but the synopsis sounds very close, and your summary sounds like an extremely Gordon Korman book.

yes! thank you.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
There was one I read at Barnes and Noble a few months back that I really should have bought but didn't, and now I can't recall the name of it. The idea is that a rage-virus escaped a testing lab, but for *reasons*, only men were affected by it. It started with a fever and headache and gross drippy eyes, and later changed the afflicted into 'roided out rage-monsters who would turn on and kill any woman they came into contact with. It was told from the viewpoint of a highschool girl whose boyfriend and father are among the first to change.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Astrofig posted:

There was one I read at Barnes and Noble a few months back that I really should have bought but didn't, and now I can't recall the name of it. The idea is that a rage-virus escaped a testing lab, but for *reasons*, only men were affected by it. It started with a fever and headache and gross drippy eyes, and later changed the afflicted into 'roided out rage-monsters who would turn on and kill any woman they came into contact with. It was told from the viewpoint of a highschool girl whose boyfriend and father are among the first to change.

Plot sounds like screw fly solution by James Tiptree jr. though it was a short story and the reason was aliens wanting to colonize so had to clean up first.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If it was The Screwfly Solution, it was made into an ep of Masters of Horror several years back

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It was a lavishly illustrated book on witchcraft, much in the style of Wil Huygen's Gnomes (or possibly just of similar size meaning they were shelved together at my library meaning I associated them together).

Sort of semi-historical I want to say? Lots of stuff on the cultural phenomenon of witchcraft in Europe?

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
I've got kind of a weird story I've been trying to find for a while now. Four or five years ago a friend of mine sent me a historical diary entry that he was reading for a college history course. I can't seem to find any info about it, and he doesn't remember either. I'm pretty sure it was non-fiction, and I don't remember the exact time period it was written but I think it was late middle ages or renaissance period.

The author was staying in a village where a man died. A day or two after the man was buried, one of the villagers said they had seen the dead man in the night. The next day a couple more villagers said they had seen the dead man as well. The next day, even more had seen him, and this time he had jumped clear over a tall fence. Every day more people had seen him, and the stories got more and more extraordinary. One of them said the dead man had come into their house and covered their eyes with his hands, another said that the dead man had grabbed them and jumped over a house. The author sarcastically said that every house in the village had been visited by the dead man except the one he was staying in, and if he wasn't there he was sure the dead man would have come to visit the innkeeper as well.

Most of the educated villagers quietly left town while the others got more and more fearful of the dead man. They eventually stabbed a bunch of swords into his grave, but that didn't stop the sightings. One man said they made a mistake by using cross-shaped swords, and should have used crescent shaped swords instead. The villagers finally dug the dead man up, cut his head off, and burnt his heart before reburying him. The sightings finally died down and the people who had left slowly started to come back to the village.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I’m pretty sure that’s referenced in Paul Barber’s Vampires, Burials & Death - I remember the curved swords detail. I’ll see if I can find my copy to see if he cites a source.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Looks like the story was first told by Joseph Pitton de Tournefort in his book A Voyage into the Levant, but it's been mentioned in many books including Vampires, Burial, and Death. The specific undead creature was called a vrykolakas.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
Thanks a lot, you guys nailed it. It was written later than I thought. I've been wanting to give it another read for a while now. It had a sad hopeless feeling of living in a world of morons that you don't dare argue with.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm trying to remember the name of a sci fi book (or maybe a novella/short story) about an intelligent gun.

I think it ends up on a primitive planet, where some kid finds it and the AI in the gun coaches him and feeds him strategies for how to conquer/take over everything.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a sci fi book (or maybe a novella/short story) about an intelligent gun.

I think it ends up on a primitive planet, where some kid finds it and the AI in the gun coaches him and feeds him strategies for how to conquer/take over everything.

Zardoz?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Hmm, nothing I can think of that really matches. There's an intelligent gun with an agenda in Ken MacLeod's The Star Faction, but that's set on Earth. In the Banks story "A Gift from the Culture" there's a semi-smart gun that'll only fire for a Culture citizen, but it's not doing any planning.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
There are several intelligent weapons in the culture books, I'm pretty sure there is at least one that manipulates someone from a less advanced species in order to get back to the culture, can't remember which book.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

There’s an AI gun in David Gunn’s Death’s Head novels. Can’t think of one in Culture novels that matches the description.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Yeah I've read all the Culture books and it's not them.

I feel like it might have been something relatively old and that I may have read it in a short story anthology, which I know will make it much harder to find.

e: I found this similar request on Reddit. I don't remember it being like that person is describing, but it might be the same thing if that jogs anyone's memory.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack the Lad posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ray-Gun:_A_Love_Story
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?966300

Either of them sound right?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 7, 2018

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Yes! It was Rocket Boy. I read it in Future Weapons of War and I recognise the cover now.

Thank you very much :)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Second one, 'Rocket Boy' fits almost exactly and is online here

https://www.baen.com/Chapters/1416521127/1416521127___3.htm

edit well that was pointless.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Unkempt posted:

Second one, 'Rocket Boy' fits almost exactly and is online here

https://www.baen.com/Chapters/1416521127/1416521127___3.htm

edit well that was pointless.

Nope, much appreciated in any case - this thread is super helpful.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Elementary school age kids' book, or maybe even a story in a reading book. It popped into my head this afternoon for some unknown reason.

Kid goes to school, is introduced to a new girl. The next day, the new girl comes to school and doesn't know anyone. Kid realizes the new girl is a bit off with bad recall of events.

Protagonist kid finally corners the new girl who confesses the family is very poor. The new girl is actually twins and they were alternating days of school because the family couldn't afford for both of them to go. Being a book for young readers, everything is resolved and they all lived happily ever after.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I am looking for a book about a group of people that have sort of mind control powers. I have a pretty good memory of the plot and some details but googling mind control rock has so far not been successful.

The characters in the book all went to a school that taught people how to be very, very persuasive to the point where it's basically mind control. A lot of the book takes place at that school in a flashback. The school revolves around learning detailed personality types and if you know someone's type you can control them so the students at the school guard their personalities closely.

The main part of the actual plot hinges on how someone has gotten a hold of an ancient artifact of some kind that has a word (or ideogram, I guess) written on it that is capable of full on mind control, where if someone sees it and is then given a command they will execute whatever that command is immediately afterwards. There's a big murderfest in a hospital where as a test someone sets the artifact down and then pins a note to it that says "kill". I remember that the school sent in someone who called himself the king of defense to try to retrieve the artifact from the hospital but he is helpless against the ideogram and ends up dead.

Someone manages to retrieve the artifact but I think they half-see it (in a reflection?) and then are only able to resist it through creatively interpreting the commands given by the person who held it but they know they will give in eventually. I don't remember much of the plot past that except that the main character is pretty much killing all their old friends and lovers because the person with the artifact got to them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lexicon by Max Barry

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Something I started reading on a flight in 2001. I was on my way to boot camp and they made me throw it out when I got there.

Generic fantasy setting, regular boy has amazing potential to become a great magician-slash-alchemist or something, vaguely reminiscent of the Magician trilogy from the Riftwar series.

I want to say the title was something like The Poisoner's Apprentice, but googling did not help.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

titties posted:

Something I started reading on a flight in 2001. I was on my way to boot camp and they made me throw it out when I got there.

Generic fantasy setting, regular boy has amazing potential to become a great magician-slash-alchemist or something, vaguely reminiscent of the Magician trilogy from the Riftwar series.

I want to say the title was something like The Poisoner's Apprentice, but googling did not help.

The Assassin Trilogy by Robin Hobb?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Could be any of LE Modessit Jrs books, they all had a pretty trite "random youth suddenly becomes skilled" progression

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

navyjack posted:

The Assassin Trilogy by Robin Hobb?

It could be, the title and cover seem familiar but the character names don't. I want to say that there were different disciplines such as poisons and alchemy, and a lot was made of the boy trying to figure out what discipline he was best suited for.

Scaramouche posted:

Could be any of LE Modessit Jrs books, they all had a pretty trite "random youth suddenly becomes skilled" progression

I don't think it was any of the ones shown on his website but thank you, I appreciate the effort.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Krankenstyle posted:

Lexicon by Max Barry
This is exactly right! Thanks. I read all of Max Barry's stuff at one point because I liked Jennifer Government, I didn't remember that this was part of that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grifter posted:

This is exactly right! Thanks. I read all of Max Barry's stuff at one point because I liked Jennifer Government, I didn't remember that this was part of that.

No problem & yeah i did the same thing hehe :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm looking for a story I read ages ago. I remember it as a post somewhere on here, but the more I think about it the more I believe it could have been from somewhere else, maybe someone linked it here once (I already put some threads on this task, if you check my post history you can probably track my growing doubts).

It's about a guy who discovers a civilization of intelligent mice in his basement and starts helping them build and develop. At first he keeps it a secret from his wife, but one day she discovers the mice independently and becomes enchanted with them, and they end up living in that house for decades looking after those mice. I think maybe it even fixes their relationship? The way I remember it there's not any sort of dark twist or anything to it and very little conflict, it's just a really cute story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Astrofig posted:

Someone on Reddit helped me find it! Feral, by James DeMonaco.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/540320/feral-by-james-demonaco-and-b-k-evenson/9781101972700/