Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think they were way too generous with Sim points, it kind of killed the difficulty when you basically were at no danger of ever running out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Finding myself disappointed with NG+ / survival mode. The former hasn’t been tweaked to account for the power curve - it’s nothing you couldn’t get on release with a glut of cheat spawned neuromods and nightmare difficulty is the same cakewalk it’s always been.

Meanwhile survival mode is way too stingy with its trauma effects - I’ve got to basically lose half my health to turret fire before incurring hemorrhaging, or 5 seconds in a fire pool before getting burned. It doesn’t change gameplay in any noticeable way. It might be bugged, though - you’re supposed to get an O2 timer if you’ve got <100 suit integrity but when I flew out to Calvino with 69 suit health I had a nice infinity symbol on my meter.

Maybe I just need to play a non-NG game on nightmare with survival on, but the game’s not designed for skirmish combat (/ stealth) or extended gauntlets so I can’t imagine trauma adding much tension to the game.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, I started a whole new game with survival on hard mode and the complications are way too mild. I've had to repair my guns maybe three times each, I've only gotten a burn trauma once, and the oxygen thing only seems to come up when you actually have the "damaged suit" debuff and icon and not when there's any damage at all. Survival just really doesn't have any teeth, unfortunately.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, I started a whole new game with survival on hard mode and the complications are way too mild. I've had to repair my guns maybe three times each, I've only gotten a burn trauma once, and the oxygen thing only seems to come up when you actually have the "damaged suit" debuff and icon and not when there's any damage at all. Survival just really doesn't have any teeth, unfortunately.

It works much better in the early-to-mid stages of Mooncrash where you don't have many skills or resources and are on a time limit, so things like "sprinting hurts you" actually affect you for longer than it takes to hobble towards the nearest fabricator.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

redreader posted:

I just finished the engineer run (but couldn't find the loving code for the computer in the office next to yu's office, next to the actual shuttle... I saw a note saying 'stop putting your password on your desk' and I ransacked the entire office.

It's under a bench on the side of the office, tucked underneath some smuggled neuromods.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

redreader posted:

I just finished the engineer run (but couldn't find the loving code for the computer in the office next to yu's office, next to the actual shuttle... I saw a note saying 'stop putting your password on your desk' and I ransacked the entire office.

Facing the computer, turn 180°; you'll be facing a bench against the wall. Look under the left end of the bench. There's an item you can pick up, and the password is on a sticky note under it.

quote:

Then I tried to do the security guard run and died. Then I started off as director Yu and my right-click refused to do anything at all. Couldn't summon a mimic or do my psi power. I tried to remap the mouse key to be the same as it was, that worked. I paged out. Right click worked fine. I went back into the game and it did nothing so I died again.

You can save and quit at any time, so at that point my next attempt would be to just restart the whole game.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Game is getting funky with the keys I remapped, resetting SOME of their functions to default after restart, but remapping again works.

Also some kind of controller profile fuckery has been forced on me at some point by Steam, just messing everything to poo poo, but disabling controller profile in Steam settings made it go away.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The steam store said mooncrash includes the future prop hunt mode. Are they making that be for DLC owners only? Doesn’t seem like the best move for population.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

ToxicFrog posted:

redreader posted:

quote about my right click not working any more
You can save and quit at any time, so at that point my next attempt would be to just restart the whole game.

So this happened to me again last night, right after I paged out of the game and paged back in. I quit and reloaded, and it worked great!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Digirat posted:

The steam store said mooncrash includes the future prop hunt mode. Are they making that be for DLC owners only? Doesn’t seem like the best move for population.

When they mentioned it during E3 I didn't remember them suggesting it would be a free update. Though I feel like they'd make some concessions in the near future to prevent double digit player populations shortly after launch.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeesh, the DLC really breaks down towards the end. Once you have enough resources to make/buy lots of bonus time, you never need to let the corruption level raise above 1, which means the enemies never respawn, which means my final run boiled down to:
1. Run through the station as the engineer, killing all of the (easy) enemies and repairing whatever needs to be repaired.
2. Casually stroll through the empty station to an escape point with each other character.

They probably should've made one of the last difficulty modifiers be to automatically raise the corruption level (if it's below 5) when each character escapes, so you have fresh enemies with each character and each one is more frantic than the last.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think the last level should have been what happens in the ending movie. This time for real, no more matrix but it was just a 20 buck dlc.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Triarii posted:

Yeesh, the DLC really breaks down towards the end. Once you have enough resources to make/buy lots of bonus time, you never need to let the corruption level raise above 1, which means the enemies never respawn, which means my final run boiled down to:
1. Run through the station as the engineer, killing all of the (easy) enemies and repairing whatever needs to be repaired.
2. Casually stroll through the empty station to an escape point with each other character.

They probably should've made one of the last difficulty modifiers be to automatically raise the corruption level (if it's below 5) when each character escapes, so you have fresh enemies with each character and each one is more frantic than the last.

Agreed, although I think ditching the time limit altogether and just using the corruption level up on escape method would have been better all around. I think it's odd that the DLC functions the same way as the base game in that the difficulty quickly lowers to a trivial point as you go on. I guess either they didn't get that feedback or they didn't think it was a problem.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

Agreed, although I think ditching the time limit altogether and just using the corruption level up on escape method would have been better all around. I think it's odd that the DLC functions the same way as the base game in that the difficulty quickly lowers to a trivial point as you go on. I guess either they didn't get that feedback or they didn't think it was a problem.

"You start out desperately clawing for anything that will buy you an extra five minutes of life and you end as a terrifying, unstoppable god of annihilation" describes the difficulty curves of both System Shocks, Deus Ex, Dishonoured, and Arx Fatalis, pretty much. It's a theme.

Personally, I liked it in Prey, although I agree that (a) it could have used a difficulty mode that started hard and stayed hard right to the end, somehow and (b) it doesn't work as well in the DLC, although there is something to be said for giving people the option of calmly wandering around an empty moonbase prying into every nook and cranny.

I may try the "corruption levels up on escape" idea at some point (by idling in the starting closet until it goes up, if necessary), but I will probably also at some point buy a shitload of rewinds and just spend a while exploring the moonbase as someone with Hacking and finding my way into all those side areas that I don't have a reason to visit when I'm frantically trying to escape before time runs out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Has anybody tried New Game+ yet, and if they have do your upgrades/powers transfer over as well? Can you do the initial tests "properly"?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You get all your powers along with a psychoscope once you get to your office

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Jerusalem posted:

Has anybody tried New Game+ yet, and if they have do your upgrades/powers transfer over as well? Can you do the initial tests "properly"?

You get your powers once you get to your office. The start plays out normally.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm glad, I loving loved the "Why is she hiding behind a chair?" joke once I figured it out :allears:

Also I just died doing the engineer run RIGHT before finishing off the bird statue, and to make matters worse my final score was JUST below 50k :cripes:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I'm glad, I loving loved the "Why is she hiding behind a chair?" joke once I figured it out :allears:

Also I just died doing the engineer run RIGHT before finishing off the bird statue, and to make matters worse my final score was JUST below 50k :cripes:

The 50k achievement is kinda ambiguously worded. It's for completing the entire DLC story with 50k in the bank, not for completing an individual run worth over 50k. You didn't miss out on that, if it's any consolation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ah, well that makes me feel a little better then.

Also I was sure I had completed the Security Officer's story objective, but the Custodian still hasn't unlocked so I'm not sure what I'm missing there.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
did you just complete the objective to unlock his story? actually doing the story is really obvious: there's a giant floating pink hologram to kick it off and a lot more personal interaction

e: nm missed the part where you did the engineer story already. did you do both his final objectives?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Smith Comma John posted:

e: nm missed the part where you did the engineer story already. did you do both his final objectives?

Nope, went back in and realized I'd only done the first. Just cleared my way through it and have the Custodian unlocked now. I quite enjoyed that, though I think my favorite escape so far is the Director's.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've gotten myself into an unfortunate place where I don't have any EMP stuff that I can apparently shut gates down with and I'm too alien to just walk through. As far as I can tell all the objectives I have now are behind gates or require hacking/repair which I don't have available as the volunteer. So far I've gotten the first escape, and as far as I can tell on this run I've now cleared the crater and labs and can't find a way anywhere else.

Are there back ways into the other areas I might have missed? Or failing that is there anything I can do that would be more elegant than setting myself on fire to kill the run?

edit: oh there's a tram I just completely missed :v:

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 16, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deformed Church posted:

I've gotten myself into an unfortunate place where I don't have any EMP stuff that I can apparently shut gates down with and I'm too alien to just walk through. As far as I can tell all the objectives I have now are behind gates or require hacking/repair which I don't have available as the volunteer. So far I've gotten the first escape, and as far as I can tell on this run I've now cleared the crater and labs and can't find a way anywhere else.

Are there back ways into the other areas I might have missed? Or failing that is there anything I can do that would be more elegant than setting myself on fire to kill the run?

Even if all the gates are up, you can get into Pytheas Labs via the tunnels under the central control tower and from there you can take the tram to the other areas, if it's working.

You can also use the stungun, and I think (but haven't tested) EMP grenades and the psi powers Burrow and Electrostatic Discharge.

If you are well and truly stuck (and I'm pretty sure this can happen), you can at least still explore the areas you do have access to looking for bodies, blueprints, chipsets, and Weavers to wrench to death to run up the score.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, I found the tram pretty soon after posting - I'd literally walked right past it and ignored it for some reason. I'd ditched stunguns along with all my other weapons on discovering I'm able to kill basically everything with superthermal and kinetic blast, which probably wasn't the best idea.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The stunner is good on every character. Less for attacking and more for skipping the gate typhon extermination process.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya my loadout when I beat this was stun gun, shotgun, psi blade, and a lot of ammo. That will get you through anything with any character.

Speaking of the psi blade, is there any way to unlock it in the main game? Im playing through a nightmare ng+ and a psi blade would shake things up for me.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The base game should have taught you that no matter what else you have, you never let go of the stun gun. :colbert:

I don't think there's a way to spawn the psiblade in the main game, which is a shame. Mooncrash has its own data files and its own build of PreyDLL.dll; the core game probably doesn't even have the code that implements the psiblade even if you could get it to load the model.

I think I would settle for a way to just make the game a lot harder in NG+.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Never ditch the stun gun, especially if you count as Typhon.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Agree with that dude that said being able to fab/buy the time hourglasses kinda kills the game later on. I think I honestly saw the last few corruption levels maybe a few times. They should have made Sim Points and blueprints/stuff really only available at the higher corruption levels.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

Agree with that dude that said being able to fab/buy the time hourglasses kinda kills the game later on. I think I honestly saw the last few corruption levels maybe a few times. They should have made Sim Points and blueprints/stuff really only available at the higher corruption levels.
It might work if you gave each hourglass a stacking reduction in its effects per use so it got less and less useful to use them as time went on. At the very least, it'd mean you couldn't infinitely stall.

I also like the idea of just not being able to fab/buy them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don’t suppose that’s something that can be modded

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Hourglasses also seem to work a bit weird. They seem to always reduce corruption to 30% if you're above a certain threshold, so the optimal strategy is to wait until the very last second (when your display goes all weird) before using them to get max effect.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don’t suppose that’s something that can be modded

Yes.

"This mod removes corruption timer death from the game. It also adds additional corruption levels and the enemies have more hp and damage.
Weapons cost more to buy with sim points and pistol and shotgun ammo fabrication resource requirements have been changed.
Time_loop items can no longer be fabricated."

E: I was wishing for something to make it a lot harder for purposes of New Game + and found this, which looks like exactly what I want! I don't know how the "adds trauma back into the game" stuff interacts with the latest update's Survival Mode, though.

E2: loving hell, I just got physkilled by a Poltergeist shoving me into the ceiling for instant death, and then physkilled again by another poltergeist placing me outside the level geometry

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 17, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there some trick to getting the stun gun to turn on unpowered computers? I've tried it on about 5 computers this time and it only worked on the first one.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Digirat posted:

Is there some trick to getting the stun gun to turn on unpowered computers? I've tried it on about 5 computers this time and it only worked on the first one.

Unless this patch has changed things it only works on one computer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh poo poo, I saw a Prey patch download and only realized the DLC dropped. Time to come back to this.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Only just started Mooncrash really (just finished my first run with the engineer) but regarding the story: I'm guessing the story is a riff on Moon, with the hacker you're playing not going home any time soon - what was that distorted speech after you're told this is last mission?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Only just started Mooncrash really (just finished my first run with the engineer) but regarding the story: I'm guessing the story is a riff on Moon, with the hacker you're playing not going home any time soon - what was that distorted speech after you're told this is last mission?

I haven't finished it yet but this becomes more explicit about halfway through when you have to fix a panel in your lil' capsule and get to listen in on some behind the scenes talk at mission control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I haven’t beat it yet but the whole corporate employee on a satellite forced to watch crappy movies, his only human contacts mad scientist types is reminding me of something.

He should use some special parts to make his robot friends. Seriously ever time it’s like “message from basilisk” I’m all like “the mads are calling.”