Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Two days ago I talked myself into buying a chinese bootleg on Aliexpress, on the grounds that the thing has been out of print for 10 years, and sells for over a hundred bucks now.

Today I find out that Z-Man is going to reprint Condottiere.

I have the best timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

El Fideo posted:

Two days ago I talked myself into buying a chinese bootleg on Aliexpress, on the grounds that the thing has been out of print for 10 years, and sells for over a hundred bucks now.

I have the best timing.

TBF it's Z-Man so you probably made the right choice for a higher quality product.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

El Fideo posted:

I have the best timing.

How much did your copy cost?

Zark the Damned posted:

TBF it's Z-Man so you probably made the right choice for a higher quality product.

Is Z-Man notoriously bad about that? I don't have many of their games but haven't noticed any problems with my copies.

On another note, does anyone know about Herbaceous Sprouts? It's in the final 48 hours.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

Is Z-Man notoriously bad about that? I don't have many of their games but haven't noticed any problems with my copies.

I wouldn't say notoriously bad, though they did screw up Tash Kalar so badly that CGE took the license off them and self published (and IIRC produced an upgrade pack for people who bought the Z-Man version).

They also overprice games, e.g. when I picked up Cacao at Essen a few years back I could either get it from Z-Man for 25 Euros in English, or direct from the original developer for like 18 Euros in German with English rules available on their site and some free promo stuff added in (I forget the exact prices but the Z-Man version was significantly more expensive for less content).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Agent Rush posted:

On another note, does anyone know about Herbaceous Sprouts? It's in the final 48 hours.

I backed the original Herbaceous, and it's a fun little game, so I backed this too.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Z-man also doesn't bother to keep their games in print.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Agent Rush posted:

How much did your copy cost?

Just under :10bux:

The alternative was over a hundred on Amazon. Z-Man's new one will be $30, It'll have a bigger board and box size, which actually turns me off. The previous edition is ultra-portable, and the board does essentially nothing, so why have a big one?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Granted, the Tash Kalar incident happened When ZMan was owned by Filosofia, who were seemingly responsible for a lot of the company's flops. ZMan has since been absorbed as another appendage of the many-mouthed beast of Asmodee. And sure, Asmodee is a soulless corporate leviathan swollen beyond the reach of our sun, but they can produce games.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Gutter Owl posted:

Granted, the Tash Kalar incident happened When ZMan was owned by Filosofia, who were seemingly responsible for a lot of the company's flops. ZMan has since been absorbed as another appendage of the many-mouthed beast of Asmodee. And sure, Asmodee is a soulless corporate leviathan swollen beyond the reach of our sun, but they can produce games.

It's funny to me they didn't reprint Arboretum.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
loving arboretum i've been waiting forever

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Isn’t an Arborotorum reprint around the corner?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i think so, but i read that someone else is doing it and the art is different, which was a main draw for me

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, Beth Sobel is doing the new artwork because they don't have the rights to the old stuff.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The_Doctor posted:

Isn’t an Arborotorum reprint around the corner?

Yeah Z-man lost the rights because they didn't reprint it for a billion years for no earthly reason.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herogames/champions-now

SA isn't exactly a big place for old games, but Ron Edwards is doing something interesting: his personalized take on Champions 3rd edition. Third ed was the last edition before Champions became the Hero System, with its attempt to be GURPS-like universal modeller of everything. This interests me on several levels. Normally 4th edition is the one most often spoken about with the most nostalgia, so the choice of edition itself is neat. The other thing is Edwards' interest in meshing modern gaming design with such an old-school crunchy beast.

I've got a pretty soft spot for Champions and the Hero System in general, so I'd like to see where it goes, even if I'm still on the fence as to whether I'd ever get use out of it. There's a sketchy playtest document for perusal if anyone is curious. I appreciate that they've made the delivery date a year from completion specifically to facilitate playtesting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The makers of Spirits of the Forest (which I swear just wrapped up) have already launched their new KS, Tang Garden, a very pretty game about making the nicest garden. In Tang Dynasty China. If you pledge in the next 54 hours, you get an extra character with miniature to play, the Wayfarer.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

The makers of Spirits of the Forest (which I swear just wrapped up) have already launched their new KS, Tang Garden, a very pretty game about making the nicest garden. In Tang Dynasty China. If you pledge in the next 54 hours, you get an extra character with miniature to play, the Wayfarer.

This game’s artwork looks really amazing.

Anyone had a chance to take a look at the gameplay yet and have any thoughts?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Xotl posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/herogames/champions-now

SA isn't exactly a big place for old games, but Ron Edwards is doing something interesting: his personalized take on Champions 3rd edition. Third ed was the last edition before Champions became the Hero System, with its attempt to be GURPS-like universal modeller of everything. This interests me on several levels. Normally 4th edition is the one most often spoken about with the most nostalgia, so the choice of edition itself is neat. The other thing is Edwards' interest in meshing modern gaming design with such an old-school crunchy beast.

I've got a pretty soft spot for Champions and the Hero System in general, so I'd like to see where it goes, even if I'm still on the fence as to whether I'd ever get use out of it. There's a sketchy playtest document for perusal if anyone is curious. I appreciate that they've made the delivery date a year from completion specifically to facilitate playtesting.

The playtest rules are sketchy-sketch but...also modern and full of good RPG advice. I've set this on "remind me" because it's interesting.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The introductory-level commodities speculation (with a bit of tableau/engine building and auctioning) game featuring amazing and adorable gilded-age animals Raccoon Tycoon just hit Kickstarter.

It looks like a good intro to that sorta game (the rules are posted and there's a good Rahdo video of a quick playthrough) and the art is amazing, so I was pretty stoked about it, but $49 + $10 shipping in the US for the base pledge seems awfully high for the components - maybe it's just me though?

Anyway have some art:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Doubleposting, but this is too good not to link

Dragonball, the legend of the saiyans

quote:

Risks and challenges
There are no risks, at least for the moment.

Challenges are big

Starting by needing to negotiate licenses for the characters and the name Dragonball

To the need of finding the right people to bring in to this project.

But I won't let this be an obstacle, I am very determined to make this game happen for all of the true fans of Dragon ball

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Literally every single sentence has some grammar or spelling mistake, up until "Train to become legendary" and even then only if you're being generous and not counting punctuation as required

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

loving lol, €75k funding goal. Reach for the stars my dude.

Really want the incoming "images" to just be screenshots of the show or posed action figures.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 19, 2018

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I'm pretty sure he's trying to make a video game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FunkMonkey posted:

loving lol, €75k funding goal. Reach for the stars my dude.

Really want the incoming "images" to just be screenshots of the show or posed action figures.

I want them to be mid-tier deviantart level OCs along with some poorly traced art of Goku.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
is it really ok to be making fun of developmentally disabled people tho :thunk:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Goku got married, raised a kid, went into outer space, learned to drive a car. I wouldn't call him developmentally disabled.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

LongDarkNight posted:

Goku got married, raised a kid, went into outer space, learned to drive a car. I wouldn't call him developmentally disabled.

He also never once kissed his wife.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Slimnoid posted:

He also never once kissed his wife.

Wait a minute, I just realized: they had a western style wedding! How did that go without him kissing her?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Goku head butted her, then the priest.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Goku head butted her, then the priest.

https://youtu.be/jpMUx7y-Ano

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Is Escape From The Dark Castle any good? They've got a new Kickstarter out, and I'm looking at some light and quick to try and entice non-RPG -playing friends...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Read some reviews - it's very light, from what I've seen. Of course, it's also got its aesthetic. If you want to listen to spooky dungeon music (optional) and look at that art and die in a dungeon, well, if watching a playthrough on youtube has you saying "yes, I can see exactly what some people are complaining about" and wanting it anyway, then back. I think being British helps?

"i hate this game. i mean i hate it. ... i despise this game. it looks boring, it looks dreadful, it looks bad. ... do you want to be one of these people? no! they all look grotesque and and nasty and bleh. ... extremely unfun ... wasn't very fun anyway ... this is one of my least favourite games i've played in a long time."

so yeah I'm backing it for everything except the player mats and sleeves.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It seems like barely a game with cool art that you can get from any OSR RPG.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Pretty much, as far as I can tell, but in card form. With some dice. And in the new kickstarter, an add-on book that you can look up the card which killed you in to find out in more detail how you died.

edit: I'm not making that book up, it costs £8 and comes with a free PDF version.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

homullus posted:

The playtest rules are sketchy-sketch but...also modern and full of good RPG advice. I've set this on "remind me" because it's interesting.

I feel like it's not going to be a great game but it is a decent commentary on a classic one? I feel like seeing what he has to say might be interesting but counting END was never that fun as far as superhero games go. It's kind of like the LEGO of game systems; fun to build with, not really all that great for actual play.

I'm puzzled by his commentary of a "subculture being left behind". It's the kind of thing that probably deserves an explanation, but I can't find it anywhere on the Kickstarter page.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I feel like it's not going to be a great game but it is a decent commentary on a classic one? I feel like seeing what he has to say might be interesting but counting END was never that fun as far as superhero games go. It's kind of like the LEGO of game systems; fun to build with, not really all that great for actual play.

I'm puzzled by his commentary of a "subculture being left behind". It's the kind of thing that probably deserves an explanation, but I can't find it anywhere on the Kickstarter page.

I don't know whether you meant commentary but that's really what it is, and probably why I find it as interesting as I do. As you say, more interesting than the game itself, which is ok.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Looks like the Nemo's War reprint is shipping out two months ahead of schedule, which is pretty awesome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I upgraded my pledge for Tang Garden because there’s an expansion included that’s going to be KS-only, which is kind of an arse-y move.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I upgraded my pledge for Tang Garden because there’s an expansion included that’s going to be KS-only, which is kind of an arse-y move.

I hate this practice, let me support it with my dollar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
"I'm a huge enthusiast of the whole ''Crusade movement''" is possibly not the best way to phrase that. It's also not a campaign to create an RPG, it's a campaign to buy the reference books to create an RPG. At some point. "Risks and challenges: The main challenge we will have to face is time itself. I have several jobs at the moment but I think I can fully give all of my remaining free time working on the game (apart from work I have no distractions)." Don't worry, there'll be another kickstarter to fund the actual game.

I wish this guy luck in getting people to buy his amazon wishlist, I guess.