Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Quick, someone post a bunch of early David Allan Coe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
God bless the USA is essentially a declaration that the country is a Christian theocracy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Road Warrior > Mad Max > Fury Road > Beyond Thunderdome

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Elizabethan Error posted:

so dave grohl doesn't believe in HIV? because uh :psyduck:

Foo Fighters/former Sunny Day Real Estate bassist Nate Mendel is the one that doesn’t believe HIV and AIDS are connected and he organized a concert for some “AIDS Alternatives” benefit concert. This has somehow morphed into “Dave Grohl doesn’t believe in AIDS/HIV.”

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

How can this be when Fury Road is the greatest action movie of all time?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Caufman posted:

How can this be when Fury Road is the greatest action movie of all time?

Fury Road was nice to look at but there's barely a plot. It's just a long car chase. The greatest action movie of all time is clearly Equilibrium.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Fury Road was exactly like 300. Great film to get baked and zone out on but ill never want to watch it again.

They tried a similar format with Pacific Rim but they also tried to add in a plot and it didn't work.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
But if you watched it once while high, when you watch it again (crunk'd, this time) there will be stuff your baked mind missed.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Fury Road was nice to look at but there's barely a plot. It's just a long car chase. The greatest action movie of all time is clearly Equilibrium.

Hella tight car chase it was, though.

edit: Even greater than Mad Max Fury Road is the Mad Max video game.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think comparing Mad Max and The Road Warrior is akin to trying to rank Alien and Aliens. They’re just too completely different (but equally awesome, in my potentially unpopular opinion.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only way to watch Mad Max is the one dubbed with American accents

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The hindi dub is also pretty lit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

The only way to watch Mad Max is the one dubbed with American accents

The Australian accents, and the fact that you can only understand maybe half the dialogue and have to guess the rest from context clues, help you get into the tone of the movie a lot. I'm not even joking

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Australian accents, and the fact that you can only understand maybe half the dialogue and have to guess the rest from context clues, help you get into the tone of the movie a lot. I'm not even joking

It might (?) be unpopular to agree with ol' Guy, here, but he's absolutely right; the first Mad Max movie is about civilization winding down and you're just along for the ride

Of course now that civilization actually is winding down it's less of an entertainment and more of an exercise

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean you have the obvious popular opinion here. The American dub is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guy Goodbody posted:

It was funny finding out that people thought "fang it" was slang made up for the Fury Road.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What about schlanger?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
People drastically overestimate America's military and intelligence capabilities. Quantity does have a qualtity of it's own, but it can only go so far.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The greatest action movie of all time is clearly Equilibrium.

I don't know about anything else but I'm behind this 100%

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
school dress codes exist primarily to give male teachers and administrators an excuse to ogle and touch the female students

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Guy Goodbody posted:

school dress codes exist primarily to give male teachers and administrators an excuse to ogle and touch the female students

Checking on my high schools' dress codes, they're identical for all students, and slanted towards unusual modesty if you feel like wearing a skirt. Is this different elsewhere?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Equilibrium isn’t the greatest anything of all time. It’s so aggressively mediocre that even calling it bad is giving it way too much credit.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

Equilibrium isn’t the greatest anything of all time. It’s so aggressively mediocre that even calling it bad is giving it way too much credit.

Stop making me sense offend.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Road Warrior > Mad Max > Fury Road

I think they are about equal, each exemplifying the qualities of their age. Except the other one that is kind of poo poo.

I always see this complaint that Fury Road has not plot is nothing but a car chase. To those critics I say "learn to read". Learn to appreciate what is said with silences, with implications. There is a lot going on in Fury road with the wives, why they choose to risk their lives to flee, why Furiosa chooses to help them, why The Immortan cares about that. Subtext, sublety; it just might make your appreciation of art better.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I think they are about equal, each exemplifying the qualities of their age. Except the other one that is kind of poo poo.

I always see this complaint that Fury Road has not plot is nothing but a car chase. To those critics I say "learn to read". Learn to appreciate what is said with silences, with implications. There is a lot going on in Fury road with the wives, why they choose to risk their lives to flee, why Furiosa chooses to help them, why The Immortan cares about that. Subtext, sublety; it just might make your appreciation of art better.

Just because there is subtext doesn't make it "art". Like all those things you said are extremely basic concepts. There is no depth to any of that. Why did they choose to flee? Oh I don't know, maybe because they were being raped by the ugly warlord guy? Why did furiosa choose to help them? I don't know, maybe because she's a human still and felt bad for them? Why did immortan care about them? Because they were carrying his future wives/soldiers, maybe? It doesn't take a PhD in film studies to get to the bottom of the barrel with a movie like this.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I said nothing about phd's or film studies, just called those who complain about Fury Road not being good because it has nothing to it beyond a car chase dumb.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I said nothing about phd's or film studies, just called those who complain about Fury Road not being good because it has nothing to it beyond a car chase dumb.

You implied there was "subtext and subtlety" to those questions. A 5 year old could answer any of those questions after watching the movie.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I really don't think a 5 year old can grasp concepts like slavery, rape, cult of personality, etc.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Nux: It's over. You can't defy him!
The Dag: Just watch us, mate!
Nux: He is the one who grabs the sun!
Toast: Look how slick he's fooled you, War Boy.
Capable: He's a lying old man.
Nux: By his hand, we'll be lifted up!
The Splendid Angharad: That's why we have his logo seared on our back! "Breeding stock"! "Battle fodder"!
Nux: No, I am awaited!
Capable: You're an old man's battle fodder, killing everyone and everything!
Nux: We're not to blame!
The Splendid Angharad: Then who killed the world?

Nothing there, just a car chase.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

So there's a car chase with some comic book level "plot" slapped on top. It is hardly some artistic masterpiece.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Shifting goal posts. Whenever someone says a thing is not an artistic masterpiece, I always say, name an artistic masterpiece. Please do so now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Shifting goal posts. Whenever someone says a thing is not an artistic masterpiece, I always say, name an artistic masterpiece. Please do so now.

Equilibrium.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

doverhog posted:

The third Matrix movie.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I saw that movie once, but don't remember much. Guess our argument is at an end.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I saw that movie once, but don't remember much. Guess our argument is at an end.

clearly it went over your head and you couldn't interpret its artistic depth and thought it was just a simple gun kata fight.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DOOM

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Do you wanna return to this argument in the future, if I promise to watch Equilibrium again before next weekend? I will do it.

You should also watch Fury Road again and think about all the commentary it has about toxic masculinity etc.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Do you wanna return to this argument in the future, if I promise to watch Equilibrium again before next weekend? I will do it.

I'll probably forget this posting sequence in the morning, but sure.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I saw about half of Equilibrium on TV once.

It was okay.

The actual best movie is O Brother Where Art Thou, but I guess it's not really an action film.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You watch Fury Road again with an eye for all the communist, feminist, social commentary therein too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

You watch Fury Road again with an eye for all the communist, feminist, social commentary therein too.

lol no