Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The biggest factor of all in making a conversation easy is just the presence of ajax updates and push notifications that happen whenever you're quoted. If you can immediately and reliably find out when the conversation you're participating in is happening and moving and especially when someone says something to you, that's pretty crucial. Most modern conversation platforms can do those and the rest of their design decisions of how to arrange things becomes less consequential as long as that's working.

I have to say I do really prefer SA's single-threaded model of conversations, where chronological order is preserved. The giant megathreads work because it's always obvious where the tail of the conversation is, where in it people "currently" are looking, and it feels a lot more like one ongoing conversation than reddit or facebook ever will be able to.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

poo poo I quoted the wrong thing, that was wrt making posting in the current forum impossible but still being able to navigate to it from the old forum

That makes a lot more sense. :haw:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Look at everything that reddit does, and don't do that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lowtax posted:

That's something I could definitely fix, but before I start working on it, I'd like to read more feedback from you guys about the ideal way to optimize and implement a fix.

Make it so the hover over description text is visible, so you can CTRL-F (search page) by the description. It's hard to remember the smilies by their codes but easier to find by their description. I don't know how ugly this might make the page though.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Charles posted:

Make it so the hover over description text is visible, so you can CTRL-F (search page) by the description. It's hard to remember the smilies by their codes but easier to find by their description. I don't know how ugly this might make the page though.
This is not a bad idea and that page is already an ugly mess, so no damage done.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just memorize all the smilies :smugon:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Burt Sexual posted:

I just memorize all the smilies :smugon:

It's :smaug: bitch!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I believe that was :thehumor:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
*knock, knock* this thing on?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I can only assume you misread what he said. He's saying that there is a work around that YOU can do to make the smilies easier to see, by just shrinking your browser window. Otherwise I have no idea what your sentence is referring to.

I think it's a joke based on the thread & the forums being hopelessly antiquated and held together with digital duct tape and lowtax can't afford bones or a mom, much less a programmer so it might be tricky to do a system wide update

Lowtax if you move to the elysian modern posting systems please have some fig leaf reason to include a tiny fraction of radium code so we can keep bitching about how much he sucks forever when there's a 30 second loss of service.

One thing with moving to a new system nobody mentioned is dealing with terrible permabanned users and our traditional banning of the hallowed dead. If someone made a new Vilerat or aatrek account I'd be weirded out for sure.

Lowtax posted:

I don't think a majority of users know or use this.

Yeah goons have a reputation of being computer wizards but that only really applies to a small amount of them. I can barely turn the goddamn thing on and this isn't just because I rebuilt a ceiling fan into a dynamo belted to run off a bicycle

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I think it's a joke based on the thread & the forums being hopelessly antiquated and held together with digital duct tape and lowtax can't afford bones or a mom, much less a programmer so it might be tricky to do a system wide update

No. He said it was a misquote.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’ve actually noticed the pages are loading much faster, thanks lowtax.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well I glazed over at that part so I'm a dick for not reading

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

One thing with moving to a new system nobody mentioned is dealing with terrible permabanned users and our traditional banning of the hallowed dead. If someone made a new Vilerat or aatrek account I'd be weirded out for sure.

I assume if we're copying all user accounts that would include banned/permabanned ones. The probation system would probably be harder to translate, like what happens to someone halfway through a 100,000-hour timeout?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Burt Sexual posted:

I’ve actually noticed the pages are loading much faster, thanks lowtax.

Yeah it actually used to suck real bad on lovely connections, now it's much better

Purify the ad animals' meta data next like everyone is saying, if those estimates are true you could save like ten bucks or whatever

Also if you do lead us to the promised land of new posting keep the ad animals or I will be aggrieved

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I assume if we're copying all user accounts that would include banned/permabanned ones. The probation system would probably be harder to translate, like what happens to someone halfway through a 100,000-hour timeout?

gently caress I never thought of that, I always hoped someone would come back ten years later

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

gently caress I never thought of that, I always hoped someone would come back ten years later

Someone has but I think they were probed again

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Charles posted:

This is a great idea and a no-brainer. I have (more than once) opened the web inspector and did ctrl-f there so my search included the alt text.

Entirely doable with just JavaScript, no php modifications required.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Lowtax posted:

Okay, say we do that. How do we migrate the purchase management system over, as well as create and migrate the different classes, such as platinum and no-ads? Also how do we style everything so it looks relatively the same? Like I said, this isn't an easy task, and no matter how you do it, very time consuming.

It's a ton of work no matter how you approach it. What are some of the things you'd like to get out of a rewrite? Lower cost of operation? Make things easier to modify? I would love it if somehow we could have something that looks exactly the same but is cheap for you to run. I am also curious to know how the hosting costs have changed over the years.

Anyway, thanks for continuing to improve the forums.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
if we’re looking to drive traffic to the forums i suggest our next platform be an all private message fortnite chatbot, then keep migrating that from popular game to popular game

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also an alexa skill

“alexa, ask sa who has called me a shitlord today?”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mad Wack posted:

also an alexa skill

“alexa, ask sa who has called me a shitlord today?”

"Everyone, shitlord."

Regarding nested quotes: quote pyramids are an abomination unto the Lord, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to limit nesting to +1 level. Then you have immediate context for the quote, which is generally enough for complete sense-making. This is "if we're speculating", BTW, not "get to it Kyanka". Alternately, don't add a nesting limit to the forums but do add it to the forum rules to win a nice little cash bonus.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm kind of hoping Khad will try to continue his Thief Let's Plays in four years as though nothing happened.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Clicking the name in quotes is a great solution to bested nested nested quotes but I didn’t even know it existed until like a year ago so maybe some kind of small (click here for context) next to the quoted person’s name might help people backtrack? Just spitballing but it might be just more messy

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
UPDATE: Right now I'm currently working on coding / implementing the following features:

1) A graphical text editor for posting / replying. You know, the poo poo that has been pretty much standard everywhere since 2005. Something along the lines of this (only with not so many options):

2) Either an integration with imgur, or a custom script that allows multiple image uploads via drag and drop.

These two things might take a while to implement, but I believe they are both necessary things that people will like / use. And don't worry YOSPOS, there will be a toggle on the WYSIWYG editor to see the raw vB code.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I like the LinkedIn integration, I can see that getting lots of heavy use.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Lowtax posted:

2) Either an integration with imgur, or a custom script that allows multiple image uploads via drag and drop.

...man, that'd be sweet.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Before I get probed for that I'll hurry and buy something. I gave money during the "cc: Emily Dapp" times, so why stop now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lowtax posted:

UPDATE: Right now I'm currently working on coding / implementing the following features:

1) A graphical text editor for posting / replying. You know, the poo poo that has been pretty much standard everywhere since 2005. Something along the lines of this (only with not so many options):

These two things might take a while to implement, but I believe they are both necessary things that people will like / use. And don't worry YOSPOS, there will be a toggle on the WYSIWYG editor to see the raw vB code.

first off, you need way more options than this. Nobody has time for dumb baby level stuff, you really need to web 3.0 this sumbitch. Put in augmented reality posting options so I can hand-craft posts
when a new post comes up in a thread I'm looking at I wanna see it swoop down like i'm living in the future
when I get probed make it play some kind of "game over" sound and the forums turn ghostly
when a thread goes gold make fireworks go off

being able to just dump images in my shitposts would be amazing, this is def the direction you gotta go. One thing is I was relying on imgur to take fat gifs and convert them to gifv so that would be a thing to consider as well. Some look slightly weird after that conversion tho.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
^ Yes and we need to be able to post VR goatse on unsuspecting users too. That'd be rad.

The current single-threaded model works nicely, especially now that we have direct quote hotlinks. I suppose it would be nice to be able to mouse-over the quote link and have it show at least a portion of the quoted text - it's something I've noticed they recently implemented on wikipedia and it's one of those nice features that just makes sense once you've tried it.

The pop-up "up" button is nice. It's ultimately unnecessary (for me) given the ctrl-home shortcut, but it's not bothering me in the slightest to have it there and as you said earlier plenty of folks might not know the shortcut. That and it helps for one handed browsing, which is important given the clientele of this site.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Lowtax posted:

That script I linked to the GitHub of is dead simple for imgur uploads and has a call back option where it could insert the link into the post. Hit me up if you want me to code up a proof of concept.q,

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Both of those would be really great especially the imgur integration.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Lowtax posted:

Sweet!

quote:

And don't worry YOSPOS, there will be a toggle on the WYSIWYG editor to see the raw vB code.
Very good thinking. I'd like that feature (even though I'm not in the YOSPOS crowd).

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m from yospos and I approve these changes

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Why focus on the now with web 3.0? I want web 4.0!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Lowtax posted:

These all seem like good ideas that can improve the "forums experience", thank you

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I want to respond to somebody. Before I quote them I want to see if anybody else has responded to them too. Has anyone already said something about this? There's no way to find out. I wish the quotee-quoted links could go both ways.

Teikanmi posted:

Clicking the name in quotes is a great solution to bested nested nested quotes but I didn’t even know it existed until like a year ago so maybe some kind of small (click here for context) next to the quoted person’s name might help people backtrack? Just spitballing but it might be just more messy

That and until recently the links were malfunctioning most of the time, so many people who might have learned to start using them didn't.

To me a lack of awareness of quote links is the more serious problem of missing knowledge compared to the browser scrolling shortcuts, because this one actually affects how conversations turn out. Suppose there's an argument happening and folks see one person getting defensive but they can't directly see what they're getting defensive about because that was earlier in the conversation. Half of the people reading and looking for context will not know about quote jump links and will honestly think that they have to manually scroll backwards through every post from the most recent ones, possibly hundreds of posts away, to get to what sparked the argument. Most will not bother. Any who respond are now joining the argument from a completely uninformed position. It actually hurts civility for the flow of conversation to be lost so easily.

This cannot happen in the "nest posts as deep as you want" model, where quoted-quotee edges are all represented explicitly. But as we have seen a lot of other bad things are possible in the reddit model, such as conversations that die because threads have no consistent leading edge where new posts can be found, and also pedophiles love it for some reason. But pretend reddit was as a UI for a moment: The nesting is not even the worst thing, but rather the confusing front page, (compared to SA) the lack of an organized index for threads / "subreddits" making every thread basically hidden, and the embarrassingly lovely sorting options (what the gently caress is "controversial" and "hot" and why are those nearly the only signals the user can give as to what their query is?)

There's got to exist some happy medium that captures the best features of nested forums and chronological order forums, but gently caress if I know what it is or if it's an available option to turn on in the new forum software. But like I said I'm going to experiment from scratch on this a bit on my own. When I get to it I'll program some graphical "SA thread explorers" that try out different mechanics for organizing and viewing posts copied from an existing megathread just to see what they can look like drawn as actual graphs or whatever.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 17, 2018

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Is there any way to tie the Imgur integration into somehow keeping those images around longer than the anonymous upload expiration? (I’m guessing no, without paying a bunch of money, but I thought I’d bring it up.) Image attachments are bad in many ways but they are still available five years later.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

pokeyman posted:

Is there any way to tie the Imgur integration into somehow keeping those images around longer than the anonymous upload expiration? (I’m guessing no, without paying a bunch of money, but I thought I’d bring it up.) Image attachments are bad in many ways but they are still available five years later.

I'm guessing no too. I posted about 200MB of gif's in the cat contest thread and having backups of images in case imgur goes down means potentially storing up to that for every thread instead of 200K of text. Somethingawful is not a CDN, a dedicated place for hosting large amounts of data, like imgur is. A really difficult workaround could be allowing the embed tags for offsite images to include additional attributes, and have one of them be a list of backup URLs in case the original image source fetch gives a 404. But it would get very little use, as posters would have to input their backup addresses manually, and most people who are posting an image are only interested in people immediately seeing it rather than it staying around for the far future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I want to respond to somebody. Before I quote them I want to see if anybody else has responded to them too. Has anyone already said something about this? There's no way to find out. I wish the quotee-quoted links could go both ways.

That and until recently the links were malfunctioning most of the time, so many people who might have learned to start using them didn't.

To me a lack of awareness of quote links is the more serious problem of missing knowledge compared to the browser scrolling shortcuts, because this one actually affects how conversations turn out. Suppose there's an argument happening and folks see one person getting defensive but they can't directly see what they're getting defensive about because that was earlier in the conversation. Half of the people reading and looking for context will not know about quote jump links and will honestly think that they have to manually scroll backwards through every post from the most recent ones, possibly hundreds of posts away, to get to what sparked the argument. Most will not bother. Any who respond are now joining the argument from a completely uninformed position. It actually hurts civility for the flow of conversation to be lost so easily.

This cannot happen in the "nest posts as deep as you want" model, where quoted-quotee edges are all represented explicitly. But as we have seen a lot of other bad things are possible in the reddit model, such as conversations that die because threads have no consistent leading edge where new posts can be found, and also pedophiles love it for some reason. But pretend reddit was as a UI for a moment: The nesting is not even the worst thing, but rather the confusing front page, (compared to SA) the lack of an organized index for threads / "subreddits" making every thread basically hidden, and the embarrassingly lovely sorting options (what the gently caress is "controversial" and "hot" and why are those nearly the only signals the user can give as to what their query is?)

There's got to exist some happy medium that captures the best features of nested forums and chronological order forums, but gently caress if I know what it is or if it's an available option to turn on in the new forum software. But like I said I'm going to experiment from scratch on this a bit on my own. When I get to it I'll program some graphical "SA thread explorers" that try out different mechanics for organizing and viewing posts copied from an existing megathread just to see what they can look like drawn as actual graphs or whatever.
yeah I like pie too

• Locked thread