Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think FOM is dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

ACO can't be worse than FOM can it? They at least have the virtual pit lane which is a good idea for not killing drivers, unlike FOM who refuse to use that obviously good idea in favor of killing drivers

Mandatory pit stops after X laps.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Mandatory pit stops after X laps.

new resolution: block France related racing associations

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Xisticide posted:

These are also some of the rules that everyone was convinced that the ACO were going to use on everyone but Toyota to protect them.

Instead they just used it on everyone by the 8...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

Instead they just used it on everyone by the 8...

Yeah it's not as if the 8 got a penalty that took it out of the lead or anything

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
This race fuckin sucked.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It was boring, but whatever.

RIP Toyota in WEC.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

iospace posted:

The sports car equivalent of FOM, more or less. They run Le Mans and WEC.

FOM and the ACO are not analogous. FOM is (was) Formula One Management, which is the company that controlled the commercial rights. The ACO is the sanctioning body, it stands for Automobile Club of the West (of France). The correct analogue for F1 is the FIA.

And aaaaaactually, WEC is run by the FIA; the technical regulations are a joint thing between the ACO and FIA.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ban Iospace for spreading fake news

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoctorGonzo posted:

Ban Iospace for spreading fake news

I have some real news friend, Ferrari sucked

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

I have some real news friend, Ferrari sucked

They got podiums on both of the gt classes?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That was not a good race, but was good Saturday background noise with pretty racecars I guess.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

DoctorGonzo posted:

They got podiums on both of the gt classes?

Except GTE Pro

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Yeah it's not as if the 8 got a penalty that took it out of the lead or anything

But didn't get two very obvious penalties when it might actually matter, meanwhile the 7 got penalised twice for essentially the same infraction.

I don't believe the conspiracy theories but they've made it REALLY easy to do so.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Enjoying the continued brand that is former F1 World Champion Nico Rosberg’s youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/CQyY9PK_l9c

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Dudley posted:

I don't believe the conspiracy theories but they've made it REALLY easy to do so.

It takes the sting out of the this year's Le Mans for me since Nando is clearly capable of winning it, and yet that is not his ultimate goal alone. He will have to 100% earn an Indy 500 victory, which it seems he is also capable of. Watching him go for that is going to be way more exciting in any event.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
McLaren being garbage is the best thing to happen to endurance racing and open wheel racing in decades

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drgitlin posted:

FOM and the ACO are not analogous. FOM is (was) Formula One Management, which is the company that controlled the commercial rights. The ACO is the sanctioning body, it stands for Automobile Club of the West (of France). The correct analogue for F1 is the FIA.

And aaaaaactually, WEC is run by the FIA; the technical regulations are a joint thing between the ACO and FIA.

The ACO doesn't have a direct relation in F1.
FOM doesn't fit because it doesn't have the sheer clout that the ACO has. It's not like the ACdM could pull the poo poo the ACO does and get away with it. The ACO has a bunch of input into the rules because the only race worth racing at in WEC is the 24 Heures du Mans and the ACO gets to choose what rules the entrants must follow.

Ironically, it's a lot like the Toyota situation.
Le Mans needed Toyota for this superseason so the WEC (FIA+ACO) didn't just enforce the rules they would have needed to implement to bring the Hybrids back into the LMP1 pack, rather choosing to follow their agreement with Toyota featuring a "unilateral change deadline" which gave Toyota all the leverage.
The last time the FIA unilaterally enforced rules on Le Mans it killed WSC.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

WindyMan posted:

It takes the sting out of the this year's Le Mans for me since Nando is clearly capable of winning it, and yet that is not his ultimate goal alone. He will have to 100% earn an Indy 500 victory, which it seems he is also capable of. Watching him go for that is going to be way more exciting in any event.

Yeah and I'm not complaining at all about Kaz being able to take the car across the line to win LeMans after 2016.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Schlesische posted:

FOM doesn't fit because it doesn't have the sheer clout that the ACO has. It's not like the ACdM could pull the poo poo the ACO does and get away with it. The ACO has a bunch of input into the rules because the only race worth racing at in WEC is the 24 Heures du Mans and the ACO gets to choose what rules the entrants must follow.

The closest analog elsewhere in racing I can think of would have been Indycar from '79-'95 when CART sanctioned the championship while USAC sanctioned the Indy 500. Another case where one race was more important than the others by far, but even then CART didn't adopt USAC's rules 1:1. (Most notably, the ones allowing and attempting to balance pushrod engines.)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/fordperformance/status/1008653451226738688?s=21

Boy that seems like a real dumb oversight

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

One year the winners of the Bathurst 1000 (Paul Morris/Craig Baird) were disqualified after the race for a maximum stint time violation.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theris posted:

The closest analog elsewhere in racing I can think of would have been Indycar from '79-'95 when CART sanctioned the championship while USAC sanctioned the Indy 500. Another case where one race was more important than the others by far, but even then CART didn't adopt USAC's rules 1:1. (Most notably, the ones allowing and attempting to balance pushrod engines.)

Yep, all because of USAC/IMS's fetish for stock blocks. To be fair, F5000 was awesome. I think someone (I think it was David Hobbes) said that USAC/CART should have just gotten together and re-invented F5000 instead of doing what they did.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

IMS and Indycar is absolutely the ACO's dream scenario vis a vis WEC.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
whereas IMSA's dream scenario was the aerokit Indycar era of manufacturers cheaply getting into the series by making modifications to standard cheap prototype models. :v:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Schlesische posted:

Ironically, it's a lot like the Toyota situation.
Le Mans needed Toyota for this superseason so the WEC (FIA+ACO) didn't just enforce the rules they would have needed to implement to bring the Hybrids back into the LMP1 pack, rather choosing to follow their agreement with Toyota featuring a "unilateral change deadline" which gave Toyota all the leverage.
The last time the FIA unilaterally enforced rules on Le Mans it killed WSC.

The FIA is the perfect analogue for the ACO. As in F1, there is a separate organization that manages the commercial rights and logistics (can’t remember what it’s called for the WEC). The ACO sets the calendar, writes the rules, and officiates. Just like in F1 that’s all done by the FIA.

FOM didn’t issue F1’s technical rules, that was the FIA.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
G-Drive TDS Oreca excluded from the P2 win, illegal fuel rig modifications gave them an unfair advantage, 4th place TDS Oreca also excluded, promoting #32 UA Ligier (with Montoya) to 3rd

:tviv:

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

drgitlin posted:

The FIA is the perfect analogue for the ACO. As in F1, there is a separate organization that manages the commercial rights and logistics (can’t remember what it’s called for the WEC). The ACO sets the calendar, writes the rules, and officiates. Just like in F1 that’s all done by the FIA.

FOM didn’t issue F1’s technical rules, that was the FIA.

LMEM

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

One year the winners of the Bathurst 1000 (Paul Morris/Craig Baird) were disqualified after the race for a maximum stint time violation.

I dont remember that, but good, gently caress Paul Morris!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

G-Drive TDS Oreca excluded from the P2 win, illegal fuel rig modifications gave them an unfair advantage, 4th place TDS Oreca also excluded, promoting #32 UA Ligier (with Montoya) to 3rd

Oooohhhh this is good cheating

“Autosport” posted:

A stewards' bulletin issued on Monday evening read: "The technical delegates issued a report to the stewards that "an additional machined part not featuring in the drawing is inserted into the flow restrictor, changing the wetted restrictor surface described by the regulatory drawing".

"The technical delegates provided the stewards with photos of the restrictor, the referenced part and its assembly to the "dead man valve".

"The contested part is a machined part that extends from the dead man valve and inserts inside the cone of the flow restrictor.

"The technical delegates stated to the stewards that they started their investigation of the competitor's refuelling system following the race when they noted the competitor was able to refuel significantly faster than any of their competitors."

Reportedly 6-8 seconds per pit stop. That adds up, but also is some severe cheating.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Just nullify all this year's Le Mans results and force them to run the race again. This time use a giant roulette wheel to determine who gets the obvious and blatant BoP advantage. Make the Pink Pig coat their steering wheel with bacon grease. Lash Chip Ganassi to the Ferris wheel. Force the hybrids to stop and plug in to a wall socket every 15 laps and make Alonso wear a helmet with a bunch of dicks pointing at his face design. Make Cooper MacNeil turn laps with Ted DiBiase riding shotgun

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

harperdc posted:

Reportedly 6-8 seconds per pit stop. That adds up, but also is some severe cheating.

Aside from that modifying gas delivery the year they allow you to work while they fuel was dangerous as gently caress.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DogonCrook posted:

Aside from that modifying gas delivery the year they allow you to work while they fuel was dangerous as gently caress.

IMSA has been doing that for years with no problems.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

an oddly awful oud posted:

Just nullify all this year's Le Mans results and force them to run the race again. This time use a giant roulette wheel to determine who gets the obvious and blatant BoP advantage. Make the Pink Pig coat their steering wheel with bacon grease. Lash Chip Ganassi to the Ferris wheel. Force the hybrids to stop and plug in to a wall socket every 15 laps and make Alonso wear a helmet with a bunch of dicks pointing at his face design. Make Cooper MacNeil turn laps with Ted DiBiase riding shotgun

I seriously can't state enough how loving bad BoP is as a system and I've got no interest and following the GT classes because of it. Like publish a loving chart that lays out and documents what gets changed depending on how fast you are based on the previous number of races or something and don't do this loving pseudo science bullshit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

an oddly awful oud posted:

This is a very F1 suggestion for an ACO event

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

1500quidporsche posted:

I seriously can't state enough how loving bad BoP is as a system and I've got no interest and following the GT classes because of it. Like publish a loving chart that lays out and documents what gets changed depending on how fast you are based on the previous number of races or something and don't do this loving pseudo science bullshit.

Yeah i agree factory teams can get hosed. Might as well just have lawyers litigate what the race results should be in a courtroom and not bother running it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

This is so stupid because it is SO obvious

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

The Kimoa Kid posted:

To be fair the race was rigged and uncompetetive top to bottom, means gently caress all anyways. For all we know their check bounced.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Tis official, Red Bull will now be throwing Honda under the bus instead of Renault

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-racing-confirms-honda-f1-engine-deal-1046751/?s=1

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

G-Drive contract going elsewhere next year then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

it doesn't even have the excuse the Land Audi did at Daytona 24 -- IMO it's one thing to adjust how your fuel tank takes delivery, it's another to mess with the fueling rig as they've done here.