Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I think they were thinking there'd be a sequel.

Jamming some second and third rate shitters into your game seems like a good way to hurt the chances of that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

jivjov posted:

Ridley's inclusion actually makes me more hopeful for K. Rool. Ridely is both "third rep for a franchise with only two" and "villain rep for a franchise with only heroes"

Having the baddies playable too is part of the fun of the latter Smash games for me. Bowser, Ganondorf, Ridley, and Dedede need another villain pal to hang with.

Which playable villains are currently in Smash, anyway? Here's who I can think of currently:

Bowser
Ganondorf
Ridley
Wolf
Mewtwo (debatable)

Dedede and Metaknight are more on the anti-hero side; they end up fighting on Kirby's side as often as they fight against him. Wario is also more of an anti-hero these days. I think Dark Pit is similar(Never got to the end of Uprising, but I think he joins forces with you toward the end).

What other villains would make good Smash characters? K. Rool is a possibility. There's also the concept of a Rival Trainer using Pokemon starters from later generations, as a counterpart to the Pokemon Trainer. And maybe a Fire Emblem villain, though I'm not sure who the most iconic villain from that series would be.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

They should add Giovanni, with him using Meowth, Rhyhorn, and Nidoking/queen.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wyvernil posted:

Mewtwo (debatable)

It is NOT debatable, Mewtwo is explicitly NOT a villain did you even watch the movie!!! :argh: :argh:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

meta knight and dedede have only been villains once, each. every other time they've ever fought kirby it's either been because they're under control of the actual villain or they're trying to protect dream land from some threat kirby doesn't know about

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Medusa.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
mewtwo looks evil

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Macaluso posted:

It is NOT debatable, Mewtwo is explicitly NOT a villain did you even watch the movie!!! :argh: :argh:

PokéDex posted:

Mewtwo is a Pokémon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this Pokémon's body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart.

A Pokémon created by recombining Mew's genes. It's said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon.

:colbert:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

there is not enough chibi robo content in smash

it’s true

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I bet you think Magcargo is hotter than the sun, too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

Medusa.

If they’re adding a KI villain it should definitely be Hades

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hellioning posted:

I bet you think Magcargo is hotter than the sun, too.

I do. :biotruths:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
When's the next direct sakurai

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is it tomorrow

can it be

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Having a savage heart does not necessarily make one evil.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

codenameFANGIO posted:

Having a savage heart does not necessarily make one evil.
Killing a bunch of scientists does.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

TheLoneStar posted:

Killing a bunch of scientists does.

They were evil scientists.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

codenameFANGIO posted:

They were evil scientists.
Not really.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

TheKingofSprings posted:

it's true

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

we can make our own direct

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Mewtwo is villainous in the games and those are what count. He fucks up that mansion real good.

They should put in Captain Syrup as a something. Funky Kong too.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why not: both

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Don't forget about bowser jr.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I would like an echo kong if no k rool

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Moriatti posted:

Mewtwo is villainous in the games and those are what count. He fucks up that mansion real good.

Nothing is less villainous than destroying the rich

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

Why not: both

Because dev time is finite and apparently might’ve been really finite here and time spent on both of them could be spent on better choices

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
In the original games:

Mewtwo was genetically engineered to be a living weapon by a bunch of evil scientists.
Mewtwo is psychic and probably picked up on the facts that his creators not nice people and wanted to use him to do not nice things to other people.
Mewtwo destroyed the lab where he was created and killed all the scientists there.
Mewtwo heads off to a cave that's still fairly near civilization but is otherwise inaccessible until the post-game.
Mewtwo then proceeds to... just sit around, not bothering anybody until you head down there, find him and smack him in the face with a Master Ball.

He's not a saint, but I don't think you can argue that he's really much of a villain when, outside of killing his creators and destroying the lab, he hasn't really done anything to hurt or bother anyone else.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 18, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because dev time is finite and apparently might’ve been really finite here and time spent on both of them could be spent on better choices

you better not be one of those scrubs that thinks better choices are more goddamn anime kids

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mewtwo looks like Frieza and that’s why people think it’s evil.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mewtwo looks like Frieza and that’s why people think it’s evil.

But Frieza's the savior of the universe alongside Android 17 and their good pal Goku!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

please don't kill him faster

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bleck posted:

you better not be one of those scrubs that thinks better choices are more goddamn anime kids

If the anime kids take 1/6th the effort or less, yes I do.

Either of those characters can’t be cloned very easily, and a reminder that Sakurai chose putting 6 clones in Melee over Dedede so we actually have a decent idea of how long a clone character takes in comparison.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

W.T. Fits posted:

In the original games:

Mewtwo was genetically engineered to be a living weapon by a bunch of evil scientists.
Mewtwo is psychic and probably picked up on the facts that his creators not nice people and wanted to use him to do not nice things to other people.
Mewtwo destroyed the lab where he was created and killed all the scientists there.
Mewtwo heads off to a cave that's still fairly near civilization but is otherwise in accessible until the post-game.
Mewtwo then proceeds to... just sit around, not bothering anybody until you head down there, find him and smack him in the face with a Master Ball.

He's not a saint, but I don't think you can argue that he's really much of a villain when, outside of killing his creators and destroying the lab, he hasn't really done anything to hurt or bother anyone else.
I don't remember either the game or manga versions of Mewtwo being made by evil people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mewtwo was made by Team Rocket in the games.

But I think people are mostly thinking of the first movie when they call Mewtwo a villain.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

phwoar

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
my favorite little design element is the outie... truly the most monstrous aspect of King K.Rool

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Captain Falcon, the Commissioner of Smash, will not allow King K. Rool to participate in battles until he gets whatever contagious disease is infecting his eyeball taken care of.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
its not infected, he's just really really mad

he's the Joker of the Nintendo Universe, in a way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You can't just show up with Kongo Pink Eye or whatever and expect to be allowed in close contact with the other combatant, many of whom are mere children! Get real!!!