Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

He should use some special parts to make his robot friends.

Hey, he does have an Operator plugged into his computer right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Prey DLC finally clicked for me and I'm pretty glad I spent the 20. To be honest, I thought this thing would blow chunks when I saw it on E3. I hope the sales on this DLC were good because I need Prey 2 pronto.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Just beat the Prey DLC, it ruled.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I never did complete the first Prey, good as it was, but I have heard good things about the DLC and I do want to give Arkane my money, so I ought I to get it sometime.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So for those who have beaten the DLC, does it tie into the ending/Prey 2 in any way?

Hoping they further flesh that stuff out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rookersh posted:

So for those who have beaten the DLC, does it tie into the ending/Prey 2 in any way?

Hoping they further flesh that stuff out.

Yes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Beastie posted:

Noob question:

I put like 5 hours into the game (see last post itt) before I got distracted. I love the story, I love the setting, I'm mostly spoiler free so far but whatever.

I don't normally get down with RPG's like Bioshock, SS, etc.

What do I need to know to do well in this game? I kept getting wrecked by one of the typhons that possess the little station bots.

Bullets didn't do much, emp didn't do much. What am I missing from this game? Someone have a "getting started in Prey" list?

Tips for a first play through:

Get the shotgun from the security station in the main lobby, and the stun gun from the second level of they foyer in Neuromod Division just before that ASAP

Upgrade the damage on the Shotgun as much as you can

Upgrade the power and recharge time on the stun gun as much as you can

With the neuromods, prioritize the skills that let you upgrade your guns more, the sneak attack bonus skills, and hacking.

At the start of the game, Phantoms will wreck you, and even Mimics are extremely dangerous to engage at close range in multiples. But once you find enough Neuromods and weapon upgrade kits you’ll be able to ambush Phantoms and take them down with one or two shotgun blasts.

When you’re starting out, don’t be afraid to use the GLOO gun liberally for immobilizing enemies so you can shotgun / wrench them more safely. GLOO ammo is pretty plentiful, I don’t think I’ve ever had to fabricate it.

A fully upgraded stun gun will make quick work of Technopaths and their pet bots but that takes longer to get.

The pistol can actually be really effective at range if you upgrade the damage and range on it. The damage falls off way less than the shotgun, and it fires basically as fast as you can click the button. So if you don’t mind burning ammo you can cut down dangerous enemies pretty quickly at range. You will eat a ton of ammo doing that though. And I’m always reluctant to upgrade the pistol at first because you can find a unique better version of it halfway through the game.

If you manage to sneak up on operators you can hack them to be on your side with a high enough Hack skill.

Grab every single piece of junk that isn’t nailed down. Mineral resource in n particular is a real bottleneck for replicating shotgun shells, weapon mod kits, and neuromods.

It’s easy to forget that you can use the GLOO gun to climb walls and get to high-up vents and such.

The GLOO gun can also temporarily plug up those shorted electric panels that shock you when you walk past them. Which can give you the time to safely use the Repair skill on them. Likewise it can plug burning gas leaks and put out fires.

The main use of the nerf gun is shooting door opener buttons through windows.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The nerf gun is also good for setting off those zero g popping jerks

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Last night I found an elite nerf gun with +1 electrical damage as a random mod on it :psyduck:

It didn't seem to make it any better at popping cystoids, but it did produce neat blue sparks whenever the dart hit something.

I've also successfully escaped with both the Janitor and Engineer and in doing so laid the groundwork for activating the portal, and kept the corruption level in the mid-2s by eating Weavers. I think I'm on track for an all-five escape tonight, and once I do that all that's left is the Janitor and Volunteer plot missions.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You haven't lived until you've been out of ammo for everything but your elite boltcaster +10 fire damage and have to fight a telepath with one as the security officer.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

ToxicFrog posted:

Last night I found an elite nerf gun with +1 electrical damage as a random mod on it :psyduck:

The elemental mods are cool and fun, and I wish they could be put in the base game.

In one run I got a fire damage mod on the nerf gun, and it was surprisingly good as a weapon, since it didn't trigger full aggro when I'd peg a typhon with it, and then they burned to death while nonchalantly searching for me.

And you could have probably used that electric one to short out typhon gates from a distance or othersuch shenanigans. I wonder if it would still work for button pushing on terminals, or if it'd just short them out.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

ToxicFrog posted:

It didn't seem to make it any better at popping cystoids, but it did produce neat blue sparks whenever the dart hit something.

I've also successfully escaped with both the Janitor and Engineer and in doing so laid the groundwork for activating the portal, and kept the corruption level in the mid-2s by eating Weavers. I think I'm on track for an all-five escape tonight, and once I do that all that's left is the Janitor and Volunteer plot missions.

Anything with an electrical modifier does the same thing as the zappy gun, so, you can shut down forcefields with it if you've got it. This also works for melee weapons with electric damage

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I got a wrench with plus 20 psychic damage but also anything I hit with it couldn't use psy powers and I found it near the start of a fresh run as the security officer. Think this is going to be a pretty fun one.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Mooncrash, had a blast, now trying to figure out what actually happened. Hella spoilers for Mooncrash below this point, of course.

I'm assuming that anything that happened outside the sim actually happened, as did all the plot missions and -- since the vault operator was there to record it -- Riley getting killed by the hacked emulation procedure.

So this gives us something like (using titles rather than names because I can't remember most of the names):

- Volunteer gets brainjacked by a Telepath, goes and gets a matryoshka doll that is probably actually six mimics packed inside each other, takes it onto an escape pod, launches the pod, and dies. The Mimic Gate never actually gets activated (and may not even have worked in reality).
- Engineer finds out that her boyfriend was used as Weaver fodder, beats the head of medical to death with the wrench, then heads over to the labs and kills the phantom made from her boyfriend.
- Janitor gets the warning from KASMA, retrieves and destroys all of her listening devices, and stores the KASMA key and stolen data in the vault operator. She then goes back and rigs her room with the poison trap before fleeing in an escape pod.
- Guard gets the call to track down Janitor, fails to catch up to her, is poisoned, and then either spares or destroys the escape pod she's in.
- Director test fires the typhon-disintegrating tower in an attempt to buy some time, then heads over to the labs, uploads everything to the vault operator, and dies. The operator is later intercepted by KASMA.

This leaves the ultimate fate of the Guard and Engineer uncertain. One of them may have escaped using the mass driver. We know that neither of them escaped using the shuttle, because it's still present, stuck halfway through its launch sequence, when the Hacker crashes nearby. I assume that in reality, whoever boarded the shuttle (which could be either of them, or both) did not check for mimics sufficiently thoroughly before launching, and the mimic in the cargo bay happened to them halfway through the launch sequence.

The Hacker then boards the shuttle and flies it to Earth, mimic included.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I assume the Security Chief died from the Janitor's poison. You unlock his memories by finding his corpse with another character. I think you're right about the Mimic Gate not actually working, but that leaves the Janitor in an unknown state because her pod may or may not have blown up (I suspect it did because otherwise why is KASMA paying you to look through a sim'd version of her when they could just talk to her). I think nobody used the Mass Driver or Mimic Gate, the Janitor and Volunteer both died in escape pods, Security died in Moonworks after blowing up Janitor's pod, either trying to escape via the Mass Driver or just taking too long to get the antidote, and the Director "escaped" via consciousness upload. The Engineer I'm less sure of, but I think she may have made it to Earth via the Shuttle. Unless an injured Hacker managed to find a neuromod, piloting connectome, and somehow not die, he wouldn't have been able to fly the shuttle, so if the Hacker and Engineer took the shuttle together, it makes more sense, possibly.

There's also an odd bit of redundancy, because now there are least two mechanisms by which the Typhon make it to Earth from the Moon; the Volunteer's escape pod and the Hacker's Shuttle. That's in addition to whatever got to Earth from Talos.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bogart posted:

You haven't lived until you've been out of ammo for everything but your elite boltcaster +10 fire damage and have to fight a telepath with one as the security officer.
I mean, it's Bhatia we're talking about, so condolences to poor telepath.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

I assume the Security Chief died from the Janitor's poison. You unlock his memories by finding his corpse with another character.

You can't trust that to be accurate, though, especially since after you find his corpse, it doesn't appear in later iterations of the sim. And in general you're told that the sim gets more accurate the more you iterate, so presumably the versions without his corpse are more likely to be correct.

quote:

I think you're right about the Mimic Gate not actually working, but that leaves the Janitor in an unknown state because her pod may or may not have blown up (I suspect it did because otherwise why is KASMA paying you to look through a sim'd version of her when they could just talk to her).

The sim presumably contains information about a lot of stuff she didn't know about herself, since it contains the complete Pytheas datavault. And even if she did have all that information, you'd still want to confirm it. That said, I don't think whether she escapes or not significantly changes things.

quote:

I think nobody used the Mass Driver or Mimic Gate, the Janitor and Volunteer both died in escape pods, Security died in Moonworks after blowing up Janitor's pod, either trying to escape via the Mass Driver or just taking too long to get the antidote, and the Director "escaped" via consciousness upload.

Wait, in Moonworks? Why there? You find his body in Pytheas Labs Typhon Containment.

quote:

The Engineer I'm less sure of, but I think she may have made it to Earth via the Shuttle. Unless an injured Hacker managed to find a neuromod, piloting connectome, and somehow not die, he wouldn't have been able to fly the shuttle, so if the Hacker and Engineer took the shuttle together, it makes more sense, possibly.

When he arrives on the base, the shuttle is halfway through the launch sequence, but idle. I guess we could assume that something went wrong and the Engineer has been hiding out on the base trying to repair the shuttle for a while -- we don't know how long it was between the events in the sim and the Hacker starting work on it.

It's also possible the Hacker already knows how to fly a shuttle -- we don't know anything about his past, after all. I agree that it's unlikely he'd be able to find and install the piloting connectome, although having run through the sim many times (and possibly still having the access keys from it and the KASMA master key) would put him in a uniquely suited position to be able to do so.

It also just occurred to me that the piloting connectome is just data. He may already have it, in which case all he needs is a single neuromod to install it, and there's a few on the shuttle. And he knows there is, because of the sim.

quote:

There's also an odd bit of redundancy, because now there are least two mechanisms by which the Typhon make it to Earth from the Moon; the Volunteer's escape pod and the Hacker's Shuttle. That's in addition to whatever got to Earth from Talos.

Well, one of the recurring themes of both games is the Typhon are incredibly dangerous and difficult to contain and once you start playing with them Earth is 100% turbofucked, so that makes sense. My working assumption has always been that by the time the Typhon had obviously broken containment, Earth had already received several shipments of mimics, and thus blowing up the shuttle from Talos makes no difference either way.

Although there's also all this confusion around which of those things actually happened, and which are glitches in the Pytheas sim or personality tests injected into the Talos sim -- perhaps the self destruct systems on Talos and the escape pods worked, and the Hacker's shuttle is in fact how the mimics got to Earth.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Had a lot of fun with mooncrash! Really unique, replayable, fun.

What are the choice things to hack when you have the custodian? Besides the mimic portal and the crates in moonworks? Anyone have any must stop places that always need hacking?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Goddamn I love Mooncrash. I would love a full game like this.

ToxicFrog posted:

Security unlock: Wait, in Moonworks? Why there? You find his body in Pytheas Labs Typhon Containment.

Hah, I found him in the Janitor's office in Crew Annex. Is he randomly placed?

BBQ Dave posted:

What are the choice things to hack when you have the custodian? Besides the mimic portal and the crates in moonworks? Anyone have any must stop places that always need hacking?

Safes in mass driver harvester control, Joan's office in the refinery, Alex Yu's office in Crew Annex, Bhatia's barracks - plus hacking gets you sim points, so doors/computers/security operator dispensers too.

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 20, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BBQ Dave posted:

Had a lot of fun with mooncrash! Really unique, replayable, fun.

Alex's safe in (iirc) Labs has some nice stuff

ToxicFrog posted:

You can't trust that to be accurate, though, especially since after you find his corpse, it doesn't appear in later iterations of the sim. And in general you're told that the sim gets more accurate the more you iterate, so presumably the versions without his corpse are more likely to be correct.

Wait, in Moonworks? Why there? You find his body in Pytheas Labs Typhon Containment.

I am 100% sure I found his body in Moonworks

e: A quick google seems to confirm that the location varies.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I made some heroic escape at level 5 corruption and just as im sprinting to the escape pod at 1 health (because of trauma) I run past a ruptured gas pipe shooting a small jet of flame.

I havent Alt-F4'd like that in a while.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey I'm closing in on having achieved everything, but I recall somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that completing something (all 5 escapes in one session? All story objectives?) essentially finishes the game for good, so any achievements you've missed would need to be picked up in a brand new save - I don't wanna cut myself out of getting it all done, what is the LAST thing I should do?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think that completing all Basilisk tasks is what puts you at the end. I'm at 26/27 and the last one is 'escape with everyone in one run' so...one or the other.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's an achievement for having 50k sim points when you finish all the orders needed to beat the DLC. The also escape with all 5 characters in one run, you can do this at any time before you finish all your orders because you just reset the simulation when you run out of characters to play. The thing is you can have them escape any way you want also.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 21, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And one for having everyone all neuromodded up, so. :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I really really wish the final level was you playing the hacker on the moon base and it was basically reset again and you had to make your way through it for real.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bogart posted:

I think that completing all Basilisk tasks is what puts you at the end. I'm at 26/27 and the last one is 'escape with everyone in one run' so...one or the other.

It is. I escaped with all 5 in one run before I finished all of the story missions. As soon as I finished the 27th objective I got sent to the end.

Tenzarin posted:

I really really wish the final level was you playing the hacker on the moon base and it was basically reset again and you had to make your way through it for real.
Yeah, that could have been fun Before the Janitor was revealed as the Spy, I was actually looking forward to playing as someone who had effectively no upgrade trees or special abilities, like a no-needles run. The Hacker could have been the same thing, or maybe had only a very, very few abilities. Besides, I'd have liked to have seen what "really" happened.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Is there any solution to the weird sound mixing, vanishing audio, and other sound issues in this game (and Mooncrash, now)? Google found me a couple different fixes that didn't work and it's really driving me bananas.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

Is there any solution to the weird sound mixing, vanishing audio, and other sound issues in this game (and Mooncrash, now)? Google found me a couple different fixes that didn't work and it's really driving me bananas.

I had those issues in 1.0, but one of the patches -- 1.04 or 1.05, I think -- fixed it completely.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
So has anyone else hosed up like I did doing Riley's story mission and pulled all the power modules in the crater and fried them, leaving all the stations unpowered?

Is there a way to escape still or do I just have to suicide and reset the sim?
I was just about to do my 5 survivor run too :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There are other ways to get control modules, but yes, your commitment to science has ultimately doomed you. Probably.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There’s a stream tomorrow afternoon promising “exciting news for Prey fans” but it’s probably a contest or something like that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Prey 2 and it's a sequel to both Preys at once.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A Prey 2 kickstarter that starts promising until they switch to unreal 4 two years into the project, decide to do more than they scoped for after seeing the new engine’s capabilities, and scope creep all their kickstarter money away before putting the project on indefinite hiatus

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
we all mourn system shock in our own way

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Basic Chunnel posted:

There’s a stream tomorrow afternoon promising “exciting news for Prey fans” but it’s probably a contest or something like that.

its probably multiplayer footage for the mooncrash dlc that they promised at e3

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tainted Ham posted:

So has anyone else hosed up like I did doing Riley's story mission and pulled all the power modules in the crater and fried them, leaving all the stations unpowered?

Is there a way to escape still or do I just have to suicide and reset the sim?
I was just about to do my 5 survivor run too :(

You have a few options:
- if you have the blueprint, you can fabricate new power modules at the fabricator in the crater control tower
- Harvesters always drop a control module when destroyed, and there's usually 1-3 roaming around the crater
- pre-destroyed Harvesters have a chance of containing an intact control module

If you're willing to write off Riley but want to try other characters without resetting, you can also buy more control modules before entering the sim and/or play as the Engineer and repair the burnt out control modules.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So regular old Prey:

I’m in the Yellow Tulip trying to get the power back on. I’ve opened the service hatch but I cannot walk through it. There’s nothing in the way. It’s like he’s stuck on the edge. Any ideas?

Edit: never mind, I ran and slide through. Did not remember that was a mechanic.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beastie posted:

So regular old Prey:

I’m in the Yellow Tulip trying to get the power back on. I’ve opened the service hatch but I cannot walk through it. There’s nothing in the way. It’s like he’s stuck on the edge. Any ideas?

Edit: never mind, I ran and slide through. Did not remember that was a mechanic.

I don't think it is, but sometimes the collision geometry around those access panels goes funky and backing off and retrying usually unfucks it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah it didn’t seem like I was supposed to sprint and slide through, but it worked.
It definitely felt like the geometry was fucky.