Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

PaybackJack posted:

Alright Goliath season two was redeemed by episode 7, that was fantastic.

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Overall Goliath season two wasn't as good as the first, but I do like pulp, film noir, hardboiled tales. Particularly, I always enjoy ones like this where the protagonists run around chasing dead ends and minor details while the villains spin a giant web of corruption and crime, and the protagonists don't see the whole picture until the end when they finally see the big picture. In this case though they took a few too many liberties with that, and the plot became a bit overly complex. The dialogue was never quite as punchy as I recall David E. Kelley's previous shows being. Like the first season a lot of side characters were a lot of flash but this time around they really lacked substance. Oddly though, I felt like Billy Bob brought more to the role this time around, in particular, the second to last scene he does a great job of emoting rage and seething anger with a few simple facial twitches. It's really a thing to watch.

Calling this show a "legal drama" is ridiculous though because it's total neo-noir, so if you're on the fence or even passed because it's about lawyers, doing lawyer-y things. Don't because it's not.

8/10

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I did pass because it looked like just another lawyer show. But I love me some neo-noir. That's probably my favorite genre! Thanks. I'll give it a try this summer, since not much is on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm trying to watch The Alienist and so far what I'm getting is someone accidentally overlaid the audio from a live recording of Stomp over this show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why is this show so British if it's meant to be set in New York City.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ghosted is so much better just doing weird office drama.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

PaybackJack posted:

Overall Goliath season two wasn't as good as the first, but I do like pulp, film noir, hardboiled tales. Particularly, I always enjoy ones like this where the protagonists run around chasing dead ends and minor details while the villains spin a giant web of corruption and crime, and the protagonists don't see the whole picture until the end when they finally see the big picture. In this case though they took a few too many liberties with that, and the plot became a bit overly complex. The dialogue was never quite as punchy as I recall David E. Kelley's previous shows being. Like the first season a lot of side characters were a lot of flash but this time around they really lacked substance. Oddly though, I felt like Billy Bob brought more to the role this time around, in particular, the second to last scene he does a great job of emoting rage and seething anger with a few simple facial twitches. It's really a thing to watch.

Calling this show a "legal drama" is ridiculous though because it's total neo-noir, so if you're on the fence or even passed because it's about lawyers, doing lawyer-y things. Don't because it's not.

8/10

David E Kelley bailed on this one early in production because Billy Bob is hard to work with. It did cost Amazon a staggering amount of money to make though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DrVenkman posted:

It did cost Amazon a staggering amount of money to make though.

Bezos has $140,000,000,000 so it's all relative.

http://time.com/money/5301812/jeff-bezos-net-worth-2018-amazon-worker-salary/

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Finally got around to season 2 of Sneaky Pete. Just as solid as season 1. Evidently it's enough of a tax shelter that there may be a season 3.

Impulse was surprisingly good and not just "for Youtube" good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've already picked out my next binge-watch, but which should I go with after it:

1. Breaking Bad (seen a reasonable amount of it but not all of it and not all the way through); or

2. Justified (seen none of it, but like Elmore Leonard); or

3. Fargo (love the movie; haven't seen the series)?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love both Fargo and BB, but I think I will vote for Fargo if only because I really really wish more people would watch it. S2 is very close to what I might consider my favorite season of television.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You don't need to watch all the seasons of Fargo in a row. Each is self contained, so watch season 1, then watch something else. Then go back later.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've already picked out my next binge-watch, but which should I go with after it:

1. Breaking Bad (seen a reasonable amount of it but not all of it and not all the way through); or

Justified

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm gagging for a new season of True Detective aye. I finally hooned season 2 against the internets wishes. and it was so good, particuarly the latter half. I'm banking on ozark season 2 to drop soon hold me tight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

BB, Fargo, then Justified. Or alternate seasons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got my dad to start watching Fargo before the second season aired and he will not stop bugging me about a fourth season. If only he'd take my other recommendations and loving watch The Good Place, goddammit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Whatever you do, make sure you eventually watch Fargo season 2. It could be watched in a vacuum if necessary.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I got my dad to start watching Fargo before the second season aired and he will not stop bugging me about a fourth season. If only he'd take my other recommendations and loving watch The Good Place, goddammit.

Hawley said recently he wants to get the writer’s room together at the beginning of next year if you wanna give him some info

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Voting Justified for three reasons:

1) It isn't quite as peak TV as the others.

2) Margo Martindale in season two. It was already in the glass.

3) Literally the best final scene of any show I can remember.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PaybackJack posted:

Voting Justified for three reasons:

2) Margo Martindale in season two.

She was absolutely phenomenal in that season

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It kind of sucked that she was in the second season, since that’s pretty early to have a high point you can never top. The rest of the show (outside of the first few episodes where it’s finding its rhythm) is great, but that season was above and beyond.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So it seems Justified is edging out the others. I've seen a bit of Breaking Bad, as I mentioned, so maybe I should leave it be before I try rewatching the entire thing.

This would actually be the second series I binge after my current one because I was going to watch all of Hustle next.

My current series is the original version of MacGyver which I think evens out to being the best adventure show of the 1980s (edges out The A-Team in my opinion).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Justified is fine but it’s a B-level show. The other two are A-level.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fargo, no question. It's the shortest to binge and arguably the best of the three.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Justified is fine but it’s a B-level show. The other two are A-level.

You shut your whore mouth.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I like it very much but you know what I mean!!!!!!!!!!

e: i dunno why i said 'fine', it's definitely better than that

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of Justified, it was one of the shows that cemented in my head the idea that Walton Goggins can do no wrong.

That is, until I saw the new Tomb Raider movie.

Yeah, I know what my first mistake in this whole thing was, but I just hope he got a very good payday out of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Speaking of Justified, it was one of the shows that cemented in my head the idea that Walton Goggins can do no wrong.

That is, until I saw the new Tomb Raider movie.

Yeah, I know what my first mistake in this whole thing was, but I just hope he got a very good payday out of it.

If you didn't get that idea from watching The Shield, you hosed up son

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

If you didn't get that idea from watching The Shield, you hosed up son

That is, in fact, part of why I said "one of."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Alienist is one of the few shows I couldn't even get through the pilot of.

Time to give Broadchurch a shot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think Breaking Bad is not good, and Fargo is very good, so watch Fargo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think BB is good but agree Fargo is superior. I vote Fargo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I vote True Blood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

I vote True Blood.

Oh, I watched that one years ago.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GreenNight posted:

I vote True Blood.

What a bad bad bad ending.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nate fisher posted:

What a bad bad bad ending.

Worst final season for any show I can think of. I have a theory that lumberjack Anna Paquin seems to have married at the end - who's in a single scene with his back to the camera - is actually Dexter.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Worst final season for any show I can think of.

Ahem, have you seen this little show called Dexter?

Edit: damnit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have no interest in Dexter. I watched it for a while when it was on late nights on Five or whatever UK channel got it but it was always a miserable chore.

I was more into House MD at the time. And this show called Shark where James Woods played an rear end in a top hat big-shot lawyer who quit working as a defence attorney and became a prosecutor. It wasn't bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

I vote True Blood.

I would also vote for this despite the trainwreck it became. Or perhaps b/c of the trainwreck it became. poo poo was hilarious.

The last season's real crime wasn't being bad, it was being boring compared to the few bad seasons that came before it.

man I think it's time for a true blood rewatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

James Woods played an rear end in a top hat

What a stretch.