Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Maybe to lose the cables in lieu of some neutrik connectors or something. But beyond cosmetic changes I don't see any reason.
They're fantastic turntables.

http://works1200.weebly.com/

I'll save this one in the future, thanks.

Absolutely agree on the quality. £400 for one barely used seemed like a pretty good deal. Loving this machine. I immediately gave away my old ATLP120 to my sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Hey everyone, very very specific question with very little hope for help. Picked up a nice little turntable a little while ago and it's missing a very very specific part.

It's a Micro-Seiki BL-41 and it doesn't have the tonearm lifter, it's not the end of the world as I've just been doing it manually but I would like it complete. I haven't been able to find ANYWHERE on the internet or locally that has any parts for these whatsoever and even the headshells go for what I paid for the whole unit.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great, also last ditch is to 3D print something that will work.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Long shot, but does anyone know much about the West German built AEG 3074

I don’t really need it, or collect them, but I came across one in really good shape for $90

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Long shot, but does anyone know much about the West German built AEG 3074

I don’t really need it, or collect them, but I came across one in really good shape for $90

Does not appear to have the problematic electrostatic tweeters that were incredibly popular in deutsche radioapparaten back in the 50s. They have foam in them that degrades and it's a PITA to replace.

If you can, check to see if the electrolytic and paper capacitors in it have been replaced at some point. If not, they'll need replacing pretty much straight away if you want any sort of long-term reliability. The tubes in this should all be available, and it's wise to keep a few spares on hand.

Other than that, it's a pretty nice mid-range unit. They sound great, too. Germany really got into to manufacturing quality stuff in the post-war era and it shows.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
We're packing to move to a new apartment, so for fun I made a stack of a bunch of my stuff.

And since I want music while we pack, I prove once again that the improvised setup is the best setup:

This sounds drat good!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

[theme tune from Indiana Jones playing in the background]
*speaking full powerly* My stereo is carbitch.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I have gotten into 70's sound modifying equipment. So far i have an equalizer and a reverberation machine. Will be adding a dynamic range expander and any other weird boxes that change the sound. Question is what order should i set them up in? Reverb -> EQ-> range expander?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Unknownmass posted:

I have gotten into 70's sound modifying equipment. So far i have an equalizer and a reverberation machine. Will be adding a dynamic range expander and any other weird boxes that change the sound. Question is what order should i set them up in? Reverb -> EQ-> range expander?

I would assume it's EQ -> Range -> Reverb just using common sense. You equalise to get the sound you want, modulate the range, then apply the reverb to the outcome.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jeza posted:

I would assume it's EQ -> Range -> Reverb just using common sense. You equalise to get the sound you want, modulate the range, then apply the reverb to the outcome.
I'd definitely put the dynamics expander before the equalizer. If you put the equalizer first, whatever you dial in on it will dramatically change what the expander does.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'd definitely put the dynamics expander before the equalizer. If you put the equalizer first, whatever you dial in on it will dramatically change what the expander does.

Did a little google research and I think you're right. Seems like Expander before EQ unless you're looking to exaggerate the EQ or the track is balanced poorly in the first place. Good news is the ideal is apparently EQ -> Expander -> EQ -> Reverb, so now you can justify two equalisers!!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So I never found that tonearm lifter...so I designed one in cad and 3D printed it. Works pretty good and going to probably paint it black so it blends in a bit better.

What a time to be alive.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Double post of DIY poo poo.

Needed a little bit of record storage, went a little ham on making it look nice. Just birch plywood, purple heart hardwood edging and reclaimed maple for the slats on the rear. I am PLEASED.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DoesNotCompute posted:

Needed a little bit of record storage, went a little ham on making it look nice. Just birch plywood, purple heart hardwood edging and reclaimed maple for the slats on the rear. I am PLEASED.

That is very slick.
Also, nice murder barn outside your window.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Turns out you can still buy a new cassette deck in 2018 for $500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eep1kLdaURA

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

spookygonk posted:

That is very slick.
Also, nice murder barn outside your window.

Thank you!

Also, have my horses been killing people again?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DoesNotCompute posted:

I can't decide if I'm the horrible sofa or the terrible carpet. (Very nice record-cum-stereo-container-thingy though. I think dark wood instead of red wood would have been better for the accents though, which I'm sure you are very interested to hear.)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Jerry Cotton posted:

I can't decide if I'm the horrible sofa or the terrible carpet.

Wrong. That rug really tied the room together.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That rug definitely ties that room together.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
The sofa belongs in a cut rate funeral parlour but it is comifier than sitting in gods lap, the rug i like and y’all can suck a lemon.

As for the purple heart on the trim, it only starts bright purple, over time it turns a dark chocolate brown.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DoesNotCompute posted:

As for the purple heart on the trim, it only starts bright purple, over time it turns a dark chocolate brown.

Ohhh what a devious wood.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ohhh what a devious wood.

It’s a notoriously saucy wood.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like the rug.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Is it a sound isolating rug?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

McCracAttack posted:

Turns out you can still buy a new cassette deck in 2018 for $500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eep1kLdaURA

Yeah, if Taneshin heads and DNR from more than 30 years ago is your thing :(

Not gonna knock it, but when you can still buy good/better stuff that are new-old stock and boxed, I don't see a big reason to pay that much for just one deck.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah didn’t Tascam have a model out over the last bunch of years that was just a rebadge of something else. It wasn’t well reviewed.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Yeah, apparently, some even had Doldy NR but had a myriad of problems and most people imported the Japanese models (no idea if they're any good).

I think the general consesnsus is still 'buy a Nakamichi if you really care' or get something decent with no auto-reverse on Ebay.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Yeah, apparently, some even had Doldy NR but had a myriad of problems and most people imported the Japanese models (no idea if they're any good).

I think the general consesnsus is still 'buy a Nakamichi if you really care' or get something decent with no auto-reverse on Ebay.

I “kind of” cared and got a low end Nakamichi (bx-125) and for the twice a month I feel the need to listen to a tape it’s great. (And was 80 bucks)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Any suggestions for a cool looking tuner that is black? Most important quality is that look cool.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Any suggestions for a cool looking tuner that is black? Most important quality is that look cool.

AKAI AT-2400 in black.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Sansui TU-217 in black.

All sansui gear in black is good. TU-5900 is sweet.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 19, 2018

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Took some googling to remember but the coolest black tuner is the SAE Mark 6b.

Also the kenwood L-01T or Nakamichi ST-2

Or if you have more money than brains a Mcintosh MR88

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I should have set a budget! thank you for the suggestions, I'm going to look into these when I get a computer. The Sansui stuff is what I had in mind when I was thinking about this quest, I just knew they'd be spendy. The 217 is somewhat affordable tho...

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I should have set a budget! thank you for the suggestions, I'm going to look into these when I get a computer. The Sansui stuff is what I had in mind when I was thinking about this quest, I just knew they'd be spendy. The 217 is somewhat affordable tho...

This is a pretty cool SAE one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263765626963?rmvSB=true

A Nakamichi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142772745986?rmvSB=true

A cheaper SAE one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263751661242?rmvSB=true

Ebay is just filthy with Sansui ones, check hifi shark.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RIP Paul Walker posted:

You just want a tuner, not a receiver or an integrated amp?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Got some good deals at the Goodwill today. $5 for everything. My r2r isn't hooked up so I don't know if there is anything on the tapes. They look used but are in good condition. The metal take-up reel is pristine and apparently worth like 35 bucks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wa27 posted:

Got some good deals at the Goodwill today. $5 for everything. My r2r isn't hooked up so I don't know if there is anything on the tapes. They look used but are in good condition. The metal take-up reel is pristine and apparently worth like 35 bucks.

Nice try; it clearly says 1 buck :smugbert:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

DoesNotCompute posted:

This is a pretty cool SAE one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263765626963?rmvSB=true

A Nakamichi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142772745986?rmvSB=true

A cheaper SAE one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263751661242?rmvSB=true

Ebay is just filthy with Sansui ones, check hifi shark.

Ohhhh I like that SAE 8000, something awesome about the 80's look with VU meters. Thank you for this suggestion!

BigFactory posted:

You just want a tuner, not a receiver or an integrated amp?

Correct, I've already got a good sound system centered around a preamplifier and am just looking at adding a tuner. I currently use my iPhone to airplay radio stations but I've got this empty spot on my shelf, an addiction to buying electronics I don't really need, and a flimsy use case.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wa27 posted:

Holy poo poo that's a pretty good deal.

DoesNotCompute posted:

This owns.
I like the carpet.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This might be a long shot but can anyone ID this lovely picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Mission 700 or 702? Based on that white woofer and the placement...could be.