Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How much were Nuke It 1000 and Duke Assault? Please PM me if you're willing to pick them up and ship them a couple states over for Paypal moneys. My collection needs to grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah, the rare 2-disc set of Dangerous Cousins

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gromit posted:

My colleagues and I use Signal when we are coordinating all our teams on multi-site raids. We don't tend to send anything really sensitive over it, mind you.

My most common use for Signal is texts and calls with my girlfriend. Our discussions obviously aren't a national-security-level secret, but they're also not anything the phone company, social media company, or national government needs to know either.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fallom posted:

How much were Nuke It 1000 and Duke Assault? Please PM me if you're willing to pick them up and ship them a couple states over for Paypal moneys. My collection needs to grow.

I'm Gender Wars

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Gromit posted:

My colleagues and I use Signal when we are coordinating all our teams on multi-site raids. We don't tend to send anything really sensitive over it, mind you.

Can I ask what sort of raids? Angry men with automatic weapons? Food safety inspections? World of Warcraft?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fallom posted:

EF2000 :v:

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Gonz posted:

Found a bunch of other stuff that made me feel very old, too. Because I am.

Bookmans is one of the few things I miss about living in Mesa. I try to get over there when Im in AZ to see my parents.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I know SMS box art never really had much in terms of content but... seriously?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Mak0rz posted:

It kinda confused me into considering its maybe a weirdly named expansion card

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The cards were pretty poo poo and got phased out fairly quick.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Mak0rz posted:

I love SMS box art. I love how that grid, font choice and clipart style make every game look like it's a PC program for collating tax invoices. I love how the grid background is too heavy and messes up text. I really love examples like the Ghostbusters game art, which is so devoid of any creativity at all I think it might be a genuine masterpiece.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Computer viking posted:

Can I ask what sort of raids? Angry men with automatic weapons? Food safety inspections? World of Warcraft?

The first one is more accurate than the last few, but they aren't angry and the weapons are not generally automatic.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Horace posted:

I love SMS box art. I love how that grid, font choice and clipart style make every game look like it's a PC program for collating tax invoices. I love how the grid background is too heavy and messes up text. I really love examples like the Ghostbusters game art, which is so devoid of any creativity at all I think it might be a genuine masterpiece.

It's interesting how they thought that the way to beat Nintendo was to appear more "adult", calm and stylish and collected, it reminds me of Apple vs. other PCs in the early 1980s. Unfortunately 8 year olds aren't known for appreciating uniform monochrome style languages with serif fonts and grids everywhere instead of colorful box art and explosions.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Computer viking posted:

Lots of cheap harddisks kind-of glued together o appear as one?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

I love that game. I have it installed now with some fancy DOSBOX setup. I wish I could find a way to make the Graphics+ patch work.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I played the predecessor TFX a bunch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m kind of scared to actually try Gender Wars

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fallom posted:

I’m kind of scared to actually try Gender Wars
I seem to recall playing a demo of it as a kid. It was an isometric squad shooter ala Syndicate, except for the part where people liked Syndicate.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Found more olde tyme stuff today:

Fallom posted:

I was actually back there today to get rid of a bunch of old Gameboy stuff I don't want anymore (GB Camera and Printer with link cables and 3 blank spools of paper!), and I checked to see if they still had them for you.

Unfortunately, they were all gone. But i'll keep an eye out for Duke Nukem add-ons in the future when i'm there; they're only a couple bucks and you can just reimburse me for the games and the S&H, no biggie.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My aunt & uncle called me up today and asked if I could drop by and help move an old tv in an old house they just bought. I figured it was just wedged in somewhere difficult, which it technically was. Turned out it was a giant Sony Trinitron -the biggest one I've seen, sitting alone on the second floor. That thing must've weighed north of 300 pounds.

We ended up pushing it down a flight of stairs, where it helpfully removed the doorframe at the bottom and saved us the time of trying to wedge it through. I wonder how the previous owners got it up to the second floor. Maybe it had been there for decades, with its imposing weigh deterring previous homeowners or renters from ever trying to get rid of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My parents had a Sony trinitron for years. It died last year and they finally bought a new one. They made sure to get Best Buy to deliver it because they will also take away an old TV.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

My aunt & uncle called me up today and asked if I could drop by and help move an old tv in an old house they just bought. I figured it was just wedged in somewhere difficult, which it technically was. Turned out it was a giant Sony Trinitron -the biggest one I've seen, sitting alone on the second floor. That thing must've weighed north of 300 pounds.

We ended up pushing it down a flight of stairs, where it helpfully removed the doorframe at the bottom and saved us the time of trying to wedge it through. I wonder how the previous owners got it up to the second floor. Maybe it had been there for decades, with its imposing weigh deterring previous homeowners or renters from ever trying to get rid of it.

Trinitrons were great. Almost as good as the Wega, more or less the best consumer grade tube TV ever. Almost bought a 32” for 50 bucks once. Phenomenal deal, in the sense that a free upright piano is a bargain.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Like, doesn't anyone have these things in their house anymore:

(Or, alternatively, are people just too dumb to rent them for like a few dollars a day when they're moving in or out?)

e: In case it wasn't clear, carrying everything just with your puny hands is the tech relic.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Or just rent a motorized stair-climbing hand truck for a day, which makes moving pretty much anything smaller than a grand piano a ten minute one man task.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Or just rent a motorized stair-climbing hand truck for a day, which makes moving pretty much anything smaller than a grand piano a ten minute one man task.

:wth: I had no idea those existed. Also here's a literal relic:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Horace posted:

I wanted this as a kid but my parents wouldn't buy it because it said "Mega Cartridge" on it, which made them think it was for the Sega Mega Drive (European Genesis) and not the Master System, meaning I wouldn't be able to play it.

The guy in the shop also told them that it was :mad:

I got it on Amstrad CPC 464 instead.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Guys, ghostbusters is back--

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Collateral Damage posted:

we rented one for a recent move, largely for our heavy-as-gently caress washer and dryer. When the guys who were unloading the truck showed up they were all "pffft" and moved everything by hand.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Quote-Unquote posted:

I wanted this as a kid but my parents wouldn't buy it because it said "Mega Cartridge" on it, which made them think it was for the Sega Mega Drive (European Genesis) and not the Master System, meaning I wouldn't be able to play it.

The guy in the shop also told them that it was :mad:

I got it on Amstrad CPC 464 instead.

I think I had that on NES, and that game was hard as gently caress

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

I bought one of those off Craigslist a few months back. I was looking for an old CRT for retro game stuff, and I found a listing for $20. Judging by the price and the picture he sent I figured it was a smaller one.

Fucker was a 32". Nearly threw my back out getting it off his entertainment center let alone into the car.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Iron Crowned posted:

I think I had that on NES, and that game was hard as gently caress

That doesn't really mean anything, as games were often completely different between platforms.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cojawfee posted:

That doesn't really mean anything, as games were often completely different between platforms.

I'm pretty sure the NES Ghostbusters was an illegal port of a different system.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm reading/listening to Console Wars right now which sort of chronicles Nintendo and Sega in the 80's and 90's, but also the industry as a whole (more than just video games: toys more generally)
Seems to have been a wild time with companies like EA covertly reverse-engineering systems like the Genesis to get around Japan-style licensing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cojawfee posted:

The Atari 2600 version of Ghostbusters was weird as hell, but I liked it. I still remember the first time I got past the marshmallow man.

Play in your browser: http://www.virtualatari.org/soft.php?soft=Ghostbusters

(Reading the manual is recommended. The controls and such aren't as weird as, say, Raiders of the Lost Ark, but it helps to know what you're supposed to be doing.)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Looks like the MSX version I played as a kid. Couldn't understand what to do at all. Intro soundtrack kicked rear end, though.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, something like that I can't remember the details but it was ported and not able to be released in the US for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F--ilZQ27G4

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

NES Ghostbusters was a legally licensed port of Activision's C64 game (which was written in like, six weeks!), but it was outsourced to a newly-formed company in Japan called Workss that clearly rushed things super-hard (so hard that there's no ending in the Japanese release, the game just crashes to a black screen after the final boss!)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CONGLATURATION !!!

YOU HAVE COMPLETED
A GREAT GAME.

AND PROOVED THE JUSTICE
OF OUR CULTURE.

NOW GO AND REST OUR
HEROES !

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Kins posted:

NES Ghostbusters was a legally licensed port of Activision's C64 game (which was written in like, six weeks!), but it was outsourced to a newly-formed company in Japan called Workss that clearly rushed things super-hard (so hard that there's no ending in the Japanese release, the game just crashes to a black screen after the final boss!)

Man, I played the gently caress out of the C64 version!

And unlike 99% of C64 software in circulation at the time, I think it was actually a legit retail copy. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

Man, I played the gently caress out of the C64 version!

And unlike 99% of C64 software in circulation at the time, I think it was actually a legit retail copy. :v:

Having pirated C64 games was great except for the cases where having the manual would have really helped.

I remember one game in particular where you started the game by having to pilot your spaceship or whatever out of the hangar, and my brother and I could not figure out how to open the loving hangar door. We called the friend we had got the game from, and his answer was "put something heavy on 6." This actually worked, and we eventually figured out the actual key you were supposed to press was F6. :doh: