Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do like the random, fun ones. Like House of Quark, what a great episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fister Roboto posted:

My biggest beef with Rascals is that the whatever anomaly also resized their clothes.

If it didn't, then you'd have four 12-year-old children with their clothes falling off.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Mister Kingdom posted:

If it didn't, then you'd have three 12-year-old children with their clothes falling off.

Fortunately, the transporter's emergency modesty subroutines weren't compromised in the accident

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

skasion posted:

The biggest obstacle to watching Babylon 5 is that every interior shot looks like a con and every exterior shot looks like a freakin PS1 game.

I still wonder how they hosed up the lighting enough to make every single interior shot look so flat and shallow. Somehow TNG made 10-Forward look like a real place with volume to it, but B5 could never make the ambassadors' suites look like anything but a three-wall sitcom stage.

Arglebargle III posted:

What is with the modern drama story element of having Dead characters come back to have scenes with living characters like in their heads or something? You see it in virtually everything now.

You should watch DC's Legends of Tomorrow. They reuse the same actors in every possible comic-book-enabled permutation of different characters. Alternate universe versions of the same character, shapechangers pretending to be a character, hallucinations, ALTERNATE alternate universe versions of the same character, time travel to bring in earlier or later versions of the same character, the list goes on.

It's stupid but also kind of brilliant because they do a reasonably good job of keeping all these versions distinct, so while you know they're never going to jettison the actor, there's some actual drama in whether or not this specific Bob that you like the most will survive a given situation.

BrandonGK posted:

Power Rangers got pretty metal after I stopped watching it.

Power Rangers In Space is the capstone to the entire set of original Power Rangers seasons, and ends with Bulk and Skull having some actual character development and becoming more-or-less good people and then Zordon sacrificing himself to blow up the endless space armies of the bad guys (and Sailor Moon-style purifying Rita, who cameos as a Zordon-esque good witch in later seasons).

After that they stopped having a continuous storyline across seasons and just had each season as its own independent thing with occasional nonsensical crossovers between seasons, like the one episode in season 10 where ten different Red Rangers have to stop space badguys from digging up Lord Zedd's lost ultramegazord to blow up Earth.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 18, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Roadie posted:

It's stupid but also kind of brilliant because they do a reasonably good job of keeping all these versions distinct, so while you know they're never going to jettison the actor, there's some actual drama in whether or not this specific Bob that you like the most will survive a given situation.

I will never forgive Berlanti and Co for going to such things to redeem Laurel as a character only to kill her off. Her alternate character is fun but I really liked her once they finally let her cut loose as Black Canary.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Fortunately, the transporter's emergency modesty subroutines weren't compromised in the accident

The most Star Fleet of all protocols

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DrNutt posted:

All the kid actors in Rascals were pretty great and it's honestly enough of a feat for 90s TV that the rest of the episode gets a pass from me.

I always get annoyingly preoccupied with the way that the transporter accident happens and Crusher and Troi instantly start questioning whether Picard should remain a captain. Like, they go out of their way to point out that everything with their mental capacity remains unchanged but oh no they have kid's bodies so they'd better be treated like kids! Given all the other weird poo poo that happens to Starfleet officers in the course of the various shows it seems really stupid.
I could see an argument that if the problem is not fixed, Jean-Luc's gonna go through his puberty time again in a couple of years and it'd be really awkward if he becomes a moody bitch because his balls are dropping in the middle of a diplomatic conference with the Tytytyatarians. Didn't they propose he take a leave of absence and come back to the fleet when he was physiologically 30 or something?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nessus posted:

I could see an argument that if the problem is not fixed, Jean-Luc's gonna go through his puberty time again in a couple of years and it'd be really awkward if he becomes a moody bitch because his balls are dropping in the middle of a diplomatic conference with the Tytytyatarians. Didn't they propose he take a leave of absence and come back to the fleet when he was physiologically 30 or something?

Yeah but it's not really presented that way in the episode and it's just weird that they almost immediately start pressuring him to step down despite knowing that he's essentially the same person. It's stuff that doesn't make a lot of sense knowing the enlightened Federation that TNG was supposed to represent.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If only that one rear end in a top hat Admiral had just transported himself while holding an orchid or whatever the gently caress instead of taking hyperdrugs to be younger.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Roadie posted:

I still wonder how they hosed up the lighting enough to make every single interior shot look so flat and shallow. Somehow TNG made 10-Forward look like a real place with volume to it, but B5 could never make the ambassadors' suites look like anything but a three-wall sitcom stage.

TNG had like 2-4x the budget of B5, that's how. Most of the station sets were modular or redresses.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, cut B5 a break, Star Trek has never had that much money, and B5's budget was like $5 and a 6-pack of La Croix.

That's also part of how TNG got established Shakespearan actors and B5 had Yugoslav-war stage theatre refugees.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Pick posted:

B5's budget was like $5 and a 6-pack of La Croix Zima.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If Jurassic Park was made today Nedry would have a two minute monologue about his motivations an hour after he died.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My favorite B5 Has A Small Budget moment is when the Centauri Emperor's throne room is plaster columns covered with gauze, and when he goes to Narn, his courtiers helpfully "re-create" it "on Narn" "for him" with plaster columns and gauze. Whew, saved us a few bucks on plywood !

Don't get me wrong, I'm a B5-above-all scifi dorkus but still, the budget does show.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So did I mix up Sisko and Newman (from Seinfeld) saying "Jambalaya" or what?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Fister Roboto posted:

My biggest beef with Rascals is that the whatever anomaly also resized their clothes.

Shocking that a Trek thread would complain about clothed 12 year olds...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oh jesus christ just kill me now :ughh:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Newman definitely does this in the soup nazi episode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kaysette posted:

Newman definitely does this in the soup nazi episode.

He totally does this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMMVvS_mmqE

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that's a well-known bit from Seinfeld. It's much harder to find Sisko saying it, though, which is why it's driving me nuts.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sisko definitely said it because it was my first time ever hearing the word, and I've never been able to discuss jambalaya since then without hearing it in his voice. He put the emphasis on every syllable.

Fister Roboto posted:

They automatically expand and contract using advanced nanosomethings. In the future, they've eliminated the shame of not fitting into your clothes anymore.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gul Dukat walks onto the station and suddenly halts.

"Benjamin..." he scowls.

"Du-kat," Sisko spits.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

My girlfriend and I have been watching through Voyager lately, after me not having seen any of it for about 15 years. I had completely forgotten that once a certain new cast member joins after four seasons, it just instantly turns into the sexy Borg show. She gets a completely new set just for her (astrometrics), and another set refurbished just for her (cargo bay 2), and her function seems to just be Harry Kim but competent.

Kim: Captain, I'm picking up something on long range sensors.
Janeway: Can you be a little more specific?
Kim: Not at this range.
Janeway: What if we modulate the phase invariance of the warp coil inducers :techno: ?
Kim: Still can't make it out.
Janeway: Seven, can you get a better reading?
7of9: There appear to be two humanoids. Species 736. One male and one female. They had scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast.
Kim: How do you know what they had for breakfast?
7of9: I am Borg.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Inferior Third Season posted:

My girlfriend and I have been watching through Voyager lately, after me not having seen any of it for about 15 years. I had completely forgotten that once a certain new cast member joins after four seasons, it just instantly turns into the sexy Borg show. She gets a completely new set just for her (astrometrics), and another set refurbished just for her (cargo bay 2), and her function seems to just be Harry Kim but competent.

Yeah, Kate Mulgrew wasn't too happy about that and was really lovely to Jeri Ryan for it until Ryan started dating Brannon Braga.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pick posted:

My favorite B5 Has A Small Budget moment is when the Centauri Emperor's throne room is plaster columns covered with gauze, and when he goes to Narn, his courtiers helpfully "re-create" it "on Narn" "for him" with plaster columns and gauze. Whew, saved us a few bucks on plywood !

Don't get me wrong, I'm a B5-above-all scifi dorkus but still, the budget does show.

The Coming of Shadows is a classic SF TV episode, but every time I see it, the extras they stuffed into the Centauri Imperial Guard uniforms are doing close order drill like... four extras stuffed into costumes. I know it's low-budget TV, but seeing the Imperial Guard marching around like that is a real immersion breaker. It's like they did two takes with a small amount of direction in between them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mllaneza posted:

The Coming of Shadows is a classic SF TV episode, but every time I see it, the extras they stuffed into the Centauri Imperial Guard uniforms are doing close order drill like... four extras stuffed into costumes. I know it's low-budget TV, but seeing the Imperial Guard marching around like that is a real immersion breaker. It's like they did two takes with a small amount of direction in between them.

Marching is harder for Centauri because they're tripping over all their dicks.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
There's something about 90s cheap production values that's always more immersion breaking than 60s cheap production values.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

mllaneza posted:

I was always sad when, on Andromeda, they’d have random Neitzchian mooks played by fat, balding middle aged men.

Then Sorbo took over creative control and I stopped watching.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BrandonGK posted:

There's something about 90s cheap production values that's always more immersion breaking than 60s cheap production values.

Honestly, I think it's because of how they're shot.

In the 60s, it was on film, because film was all that was available for high-quality filming. Videotape was still a relatively new thing and you might see it used on game shows or whatever, but I'm not sure that even started happening until the 70s. But film gives you a certain look and feel. Even the bad production values aren't as glaring because everything back then kind-of looked the same, because everything was on film. Even a mostly blank panel painted orange with 3 blinking lights on it (Star Trek TOS) looked OK against a console with HAL 9000 because you knew you were watching a TV show and not a huge-budget movie, and everything looked OK.

But cheap production in the 90s was glaringly cheap. Videotape made everything look a little too clear and smooth, much like it would look if it were shot on a camcorder. Which is how shows like B5 always looked to me--the first time I saw it, my thought was, "oh, this is another camcorder show," because that's how they all looked. There's just something about the images produced cheaply via good quality videotape cameras back in the 90s... I don't know. It just always looked a certain way to me, and it felt more like someone camcording a play instead of filming a show.

OK... now go ahead and tell me B5 was shot on film. I enjoy being wrong about things.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

B5 was shot on film. Not only that, it was framed 16:9 safe to accommodate widescreen TVs.

An HD remaster if the series could totally happen and since blending of live action and SFX was rare on the show, it would be easier than TNG.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's a shame that given the current trajectory of Star Trek on TV, we'll probably never get goofy one-off episodes again like Rascals, One Little Ship, The Next Phase, Bride of Chaotica...

We did get a goofy one-off on Disco! It just happened that the showrunners' concept of "goofy" means "Harry Mudd is a homicidal maniac willing to murder people dozens of times out of a lust for vengeance."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

B5 was shot on film. Not only that, it was framed 16:9 safe to accommodate widescreen TVs.

An HD remaster if the series could totally happen and since blending of live action and SFX was rare on the show, it would be easier than TNG.

They'd have to completely remake all the visual effects since the CG wasn't rendered in HD to match the film and as far as I know, nobody kept the original files. Also, WB hates JMS and won't do anything with Babylon 5 until after the current crop of executives are dead or retired

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Come on those graphics shouldn't be too hard to redo, you can find vintage Amigas for cheap.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I could buy the too expensive CGI argument 10 years ago, but someone could whip up HD renders of original detail level stuff on their home computer in a long weekend now. You don't have to bring them to modern standards, just have a clean 1080p render of the original detail level.

Yes, WB lost the original files, no I don't think it makes one bit of difference now.

On top of all that, most of the hero ships were updated to HD for the later movie releases.

The reason why it won't happen is no one that matters cares about the property and there's bad blood.

One of the things that made B5 effects look so cheap (and remastered TOS for that matter) is the lack of film gain matching to the live action stuff. It's jarring to go from that textured film look to completely flat digital rendering. It doesn't make it feel like looking at an actually real object though a lens.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 18, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's a clip from Power Rangers, circa 1999. In a show about a space station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfyLFT5P98

Belove it or not, this actually holds up better than Babylon 5. It's not technically better in most senses, but bad miniature work and compositing somehow doesn't look as bad as bad early cgi. The sets are about on par with B5 as well.

Babylon 5 is basically saved and an amazing show on writing alone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Here's a clip from Power Rangers, circa 1999. In a show about a space station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfyLFT5P98

Belove it or not, this actually holds up better than Babylon 5. It's not technically better in most senses, but bad miniature work and compositing somehow doesn't look as bad as bad early cgi. The sets are about on par with B5 as well.

Babylon 5 is basically saved and an amazing show on writing alone.

The thing with this comparison is by that point in the run, they were probably spending more per episode on Power Rangers than B5 (Power Rangers started at about 600,000 per episode and eventually got to around 1 mil.) On top of all that, the amount of reused footage in Power Rangers made the budget more effective.

So, I'm guessing that this station crashing effect would have been out of Pten's budget for the B5.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wow, I honestly can't imagine where the gently caress 600,000 dollars would have gone per episode in season one.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

tarlibone posted:

Honestly, I think it's because of how they're shot.

In the 60s, it was on film, because film was all that was available for high-quality filming. Videotape was still a relatively new thing and you might see it used on game shows or whatever, but I'm not sure that even started happening until the 70s. But film gives you a certain look and feel. Even the bad production values aren't as glaring because everything back then kind-of looked the same, because everything was on film. Even a mostly blank panel painted orange with 3 blinking lights on it (Star Trek TOS) looked OK against a console with HAL 9000 because you knew you were watching a TV show and not a huge-budget movie, and everything looked OK.

But cheap production in the 90s was glaringly cheap. Videotape made everything look a little too clear and smooth, much like it would look if it were shot on a camcorder. Which is how shows like B5 always looked to me--the first time I saw it, my thought was, "oh, this is another camcorder show," because that's how they all looked. There's just something about the images produced cheaply via good quality videotape cameras back in the 90s... I don't know. It just always looked a certain way to me, and it felt more like someone camcording a play instead of filming a show.

OK... now go ahead and tell me B5 was shot on film. I enjoy being wrong about things.

I'm not going to quibble over minute details but I'm pretty sure I saw 4 lights.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Wow, I honestly can't imagine where the gently caress 600,000 dollars would have gone per episode in season one.

Hiring costs add up fast. You've got a dozen stunt guys in spandex as the minions who show up every episode, a couple of better-trained stunt guys who can do that while wearing big rubber costumes, all the extras that run around screaming when Angel Grove gets attacked, the recurring side characters in all the high school scenes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tighclops posted:

They'd have to completely remake all the visual effects since the CG wasn't rendered in HD to match the film and as far as I know, nobody kept the original files. Also, WB hates JMS and won't do anything with Babylon 5 until after the current crop of executives are dead or retired

They actually do have high quality prints. JMS tweeted that they delivered a 2k version of what aired to WB for every episode. It's in 4:3, but who cares if it's at 2k ?