Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I have the LCD soundsystem madison square garden set and i want to say it's six discs? But it's six very good discs and I cherish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

esperantinc posted:

And I like two of them, it's almost like opinions are subjective or something.

About some things, sure. Not about others.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I've got a bunch of Dinosaur Jr singles in a 7" box set but aside from Dilla I wouldn't buy anything like that

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Oh I forgot. I do have a box set of A-Trak remixes that are in 7” format. But those are loving awesome and were only released in that format.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

esperantinc posted:

And I like two of them, it's almost like opinions are subjective or something.

Not this time. It's bad music.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Not this time. It's bad music.

Nice

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
The Titus Andronicus album The Most Lamentable Tragedy comes with instructions on how to play it. It's a triple LP, with one of the records plays at 45, the other two at 33.

From the discogs page: Play order: LP1, Side One / LP1, Side Two / LP2, Side Three / LP3, Side Four / LP2, Side Five / LP3, Side Six

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dorium posted:

I own AFI decemberunderground on 6 7” records. We are all in this shame spiral together (if you don’t have an attachment to that album tho, consider flipping it for a high sum)

Yeah I have this and I don’t think I’ve ever listened to it due to the combination of it not being a fantastic record and the sheer inconvenience. I’m not entirely sure why I picked it up, but I do remember I paid for it and didn’t bother actually collecting my copy from the store for about 6 months or so.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I have this and I don’t think I’ve ever listened to it due to the combination of it not being a fantastic record and the sheer inconvenience. I’m not entirely sure why I picked it up, but I do remember I paid for it and didn’t bother actually collecting my copy from the store for about 6 months or so.
I got you both beat. I not only own the AFI album, but I bought it from Hot Topic.

Why was I in a Hot Topic? Because they had a small vinyl selection, and in 2007 it was hard to find anyone selling vinyl around here. The struggle was real

On the other hand, the mid-2000s were such an affordable time to collect records. I was looking at a Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks double LP I bought at Best Buy in 2008. Price tag? $13.99. And a Cat Power record from a Madison store has a tag of $10.99. The aforementioned decemberunderground was either $20 or $25, it would easily be $40 today. I bulked up my Dad Rock collection buying huge lots of pristine discs from goons in SA Mart cheap.

Obviously it was more that the vinyl market was in a depression ten years ago than that the prices are hyperinflated now. But drat do I miss those days

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

pwn posted:

I got you both beat. I not only own the AFI album, but I bought it from Hot Topic.

Why was I in a Hot Topic? Because they had a small vinyl selection, and in 2007 it was hard to find anyone selling vinyl around here. The struggle was real

in 2009 i found new copies of blackwater park by opeth and modern guilt by beck for $4 at hot topic

it’s kept me going back there for almost 10 years and i still haven’t found anything nearly that good

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I wish I'd gotten into it a few years earlier. I started buying them in 2012 when it was starting to become a bigger thing so I missed out on the good deals. USPS postage costs didn't help either

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Hot Topic vinyl prices used to be amazing because they'd stock a bunch of good punk and indie that wouldn't sell because it wasn't their target audience and it would get remarkably cheap. Now I don't even think they carry music in stores. It's just an edgy teen version of urban outfitters.

Urban Outfitters occasionally has good in store sales on vinyl because their stock is also hilarious.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

pwn posted:

On the other hand, the mid-2000s were such an affordable time to collect records. I was looking at a Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks double LP I bought at Best Buy in 2008. Price tag? $13.99. And a Cat Power record from a Madison store has a tag of $10.99. The aforementioned decemberunderground was either $20 or $25, it would easily be $40 today. I bulked up my Dad Rock collection buying huge lots of pristine discs from goons in SA Mart cheap.

Obviously it was more that the vinyl market was in a depression ten years ago than that the prices are hyperinflated now. But drat do I miss those days

I bought my copy from hot topic as well. I also bought my original presing of Demon Days from hot topic too.

Schremp Howard posted:

Hot Topic vinyl prices used to be amazing because they'd stock a bunch of good punk and indie that wouldn't sell because it wasn't their target audience and it would get remarkably cheap. Now I don't even think they carry music in stores. It's just an edgy teen version of urban outfitters.

Urban Outfitters occasionally has good in store sales on vinyl because their stock is also hilarious.

it's not even that. hot topic is a micro store for each and every nerd franchise you can imagine, they each have their own 2x12 block of space and then on the back wall is just pop figures.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I have the LCD soundsystem madison square garden set and i want to say it's six discs? But it's six very good discs and I cherish it.

I mean, it's a three hour concert so that scans right

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Schremp Howard posted:

Yeah I picked up the most recent QotSA from UO a couple months ago for, like, $8

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I will have to check my local Urban Outfitters to see if I can find any cool albums that are marked down. I have been having a lot of success at Dimple Records finding brand new sealed vinyl that has been marked down a bunch. Unfortunately, Dimple is only in the Sacramento area so that won't help most of you. I was able to pick up EPMD's "Strictly Business", "Back to Business", and "Unfinished Business" LPs for $12 each, sealed. Also grabbed a Sam & Dave repress for $9.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I have a As Friends Rust release that is 4 x 7" records.

It honestly never bothered me.

If you don't like getting up and swapping sides / records then stop buying records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I've been collecting records for over a decade and in the last several years the prices of everything have become completely outrageous. Most new LPs were around 15 bucks or 20 if it was something fancy. Now a single new LP is often 25-30 bucks. There's also all kinds of old records that are triple or quadruple the price they were when I bought them. And then of course there is the record labels creating artificial scarcity and ebay flippers buying that poo poo up in droves. I'm so ready for the fad to die.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I've been collecting records for over a decade and in the last several years the prices of everything have become completely outrageous. Most new LPs were around 15 bucks or 20 if it was something fancy. Now a single new LP is often 25-30 bucks. There's also all kinds of old records that are triple or quadruple the price they were when I bought them. And then of course there is the record labels creating artificial scarcity and ebay flippers buying that poo poo up in droves. I'm so ready for the fad to die.

I have seen this happen too and it is frustrating. But on the other hand, I have also seen a ton of artists doing their own vinyl releases for reasonable prices and they include a digital download. For example, the run of albums that Kanye has produced recently (Daytona, ye, Kids See Ghosts, and Nasir) have all had a vinyl release + digital download for $15. The other benefit I have seen with the vinyl resurgence is that even if prices have gone up, it is way easier to find stores that carry vinyl now. Even within the past couple years, a few of the local music/dvd/book stores have started stocking used vinyl and regularly get new inventory. Just yesterday, I found a NM copy of Paul's Boutique for $10, so deals are definitely out there, it just might take more digging than before. I would have to think that if more stores start stocking vinyl, prices will level off, but that's just speculation.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Jesus, isn't buying a Killers album punishment enough?

Fun fact - I also have it on 12" vinyl as well.

And it's the original issue, meeting it's the only version with all 12 tracks.

The UK and US CD and vinyl reissues feature 11 tracks. The UK CD has Indie Rock and Roll instead of Midnight Show I think, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I'm sitting on a Killers gold mine.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The Killers were the Collective Soul of the aughts.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
My Chromatics arrived today, complete with NWS cartoon titty sticker on the package

And like someone else here, I too had some bonus promo posters and CDs used as packing material. Score!

Thanks, Italians Do It Better :thumbsup:

P.S. and I don’t have Amazon Prime, but my friend does, and so today I also got some love and hate

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 19, 2018

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I also got titty mail this morning but I'm at work so haven't opened it yet. hopefully they sent me a music for television cd as sympathy for the shipping cost to Australia

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A couple of things I picked up today:

Yes, that's Miles Davis covering a Cyndi Lauper song. The 80s were weird, man.

Come to think of it, that could be a good descriptor of all four of these records. "No Room to Dance" is a punk/early new wave compilation of local (Hampton Roads, VA) bands from 1980. I got interested in it after listening to that Bloodstains Across Virginia bootleg I posted a while back, as the only real halfway decent songs on that record came from this compilation. As a bonus I discovered after buying it that two of the band members autographed the back, including one writing the word "SUX" following the name of the guy who wrote the album's liner notes. It adds a nice bit of flavor to the whole thing.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 19, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

A couple of things I picked up today:

Yes, that's Miles Davis covering a Cyndi Lauper song. The 80s were weird, man.

Come to think of it, that could be a good descriptor of all four of these records. "No Room to Dance" is a punk/early new wave compilation of local (Hampton Roads, VA) bands from 1980. I got interested in it after listening to that Bloodstains Across Virginia bootleg I posted a while back, as the only real halfway decent songs on that record came from this compilation. As a bonus I discovered after buying it that two of the band members autographed the back, including one writing the word "SUX" following the name of the guy who wrote the album's liner notes. It adds a nice bit of flavor to the whole thing.

That song/video is the only cool thing Phil Collins did.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

unf

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-18/australias-largest-record-collection-for-sale/9875556

quote:

The vinyl collection is thought to be the biggest in Australia.

Modern antiques expert Dr Daryl Sparkes said he was blown away by the size of the collection.

"It is one of the most awe-inspiring moments of my life actually," he said.

"I would have to say this is the most impressive and largest collection I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of collections."

Dr Sparkes said all the records were in perfect condition, which was surprising as some of the 78s were more than 100 years old.

they want to sell it all as a lot and don't want people picking over it :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

unf

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-18/australias-largest-record-collection-for-sale/9875556

they want to sell it all as a lot and don't want people picking over it :(

I wonder if it's going to go to some Saudi prince or that insane hoarder from Brazil who admittedly just buys tens of thousands of records for the sake of buying them regardless of condition or content.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I wonder if it's going to go to some Saudi prince or that insane hoarder from Brazil who admittedly just buys tens of thousands of records for the sake of buying them regardless of condition or content.

I'd think it'd have to go to whoever was willing to make the biggest offer the fastest so probably someone like that

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

I'd think it'd have to go to whoever was willing to make the biggest offer the fastest so probably someone like that

It's kind of a shame if they just sell it to some rich jack off who's going to seal it in a vault forever. As they state in the article it really does belong in some museum or archive.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

CPL593H posted:

That song/video is the only cool thing Phil Collins did.

Holy poo poo the post that’s made me more angry than trolls in the Trump thread on SA.

I know my Phil Collins fandom is irrational, but this is just so wrong.

I’m going to go ahead and follow this up by saying I have multiple pressings of many Genesis records, and I love Collins Genesis as much as Gabriel Genesis and I still think Collins’ solo albums have some deeply, deeply terrible stuff on them.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 19, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Asnorban posted:

Holy poo poo the post that’s made me more angry than trolls in the Trump thread on SA.

I know my Phil Collins fandom is irrational, but this is just so wrong.

I’m going to go ahead and follow this up by saying I have multiple pressings of many Genesis records, and I love Collins Genesis as much as Gabriel Genesis and I still think Collins’ solo albums have some deeply, deeply terrible stuff on them.

Gross.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

italians do it better are a classy outfit, i also got the free CDs/posters. the sleeve itself, artwork, discs, labels all look amazing and they sound fantastic

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I picked up a pair of worn but awesome sounding Wharfedale 70 speakers yesterday for a great price and want to do some cleaning on the outers. Any recommendations for a specific cleaner/homemade solution?

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 19, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Schremp Howard posted:

I picked up a pair of worn but awesome sounding Wharfedale 70 speakers yesterday for a great price and want to do some cleaning on the outers. Any recommendations for a specific cleaner/homemade solution?

What do you mean by outers? The surrounds around the drivers?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I bought a chromatics album on sale from that record label a few years ago and they tossed in a CD and a poster or two. Cool stuff.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Goddamn this is expensive but I want it so bad.

https://www.fatbeats.com/products/e..._eid=2c8db2dc6e

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Hot Fuss is a good album but every other Killers album is loving awful.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

For a split second I couldn't tell if this was about Trout Mask Replica or if it was an ARG for the new Fallout game.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

BigFactory posted:

What do you mean by outers? The surrounds around the drivers?

Yeah, around the drivers. I'm going to assume any wood based furniture cleaner should be safe for the structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Schremp Howard posted:

Yeah, around the drivers. I'm going to assume any wood based furniture cleaner should be safe for the structure.

I mean different people get weird about how to care for/clean/wax wood, the answer to that one is maybe.

But how dirty are the surrounds? Are they just dusty? Can you clean them with compressed air? Are they rubber or Kevlar? I wouldn’t do a thing if they’re foam.