Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

So what’s the worst, and why is Beatless so exceptionally bad?

It's basically the plot of Her but with a teenager instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

So what’s the worst, and why is Beatless so exceptionally bad?

ladyspo, whose first episode had no animation and spend half of its runtime to show stills of girls going to the toilet

beatless has an inane amount of recap episodes, bad animation and idiotic storytelling that takes every possible interesting idea and executes it in the most idiotic way possible while making up complete nonsense new terms for things that already exist (ie: analog hack). generally strong character designs are totally wasted in the transition to animation and the mc, while intentionally so, is the biggest wet blanket idiot ive seen in years.

it could have been a decent gits for teens, but its just a pile of nothing

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Sorry, I'd like to discuss this more but I have to go to the supermarket to pick up some analog goods

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wait Kitaro is going to be 50+ episodes? I thought the series was about to end...

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I'm behind on Hinamatsuri because I've been watching it with a friend, but it is just fantastic. All of it's characters are so interesting and it keeps surprising me without ever feeling 'random'.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Davincie posted:

(ie: analog hack)

As a data security guy I now officially have to watch the bad robot waifu show. I'm guessing in context something like "social engineering" would've been more appropriate?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was thinking bolt cutters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Paper Triangle posted:

As a data security guy I now officially have to watch the bad robot waifu show. I'm guessing in context something like "social engineering" would've been more appropriate?
That's literally just what it means.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The frustrating part about Beatless is that it's tackling some interesting and worthwhile questions about how human society and artificial intelligences interact, and the waifu angle actually makes a certain amount of sense in-universe, but the characters and execution aren't fully up to the task.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Mahou Shoujo Ore was dumb but it knew what it was doing, didn't mind watching it, it was a throw your mind out and laugh at the ridiculousness series and nice to have once in a while.

The Other Kind of Horsegirls was an incredibly predictable ultra-average blob. Wish we could get something tasteful with centaurs instead hahaha as if.

FranXX as it progressed turned out to have a lot of bits in story and general lore to love, but would be better off as a lengthy serious business sci-fi novel to expand and explore better. Not expecting too much from the final episodes.

Tada deserves a happy ending, eagerly awaiting the finale. Soft lovely show, as a photographer.

Golden Kamyu still has the best faces

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I finished the new basilisk because I liked the first one

boy was it a stinker

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I am slightly hoping they play the title completely straight and Tada-kun simply never falls in love, but either way it's my favorite show of the season. Romance comedies deserve to look beautiful too! gently caress you 3D Kanojo.

Also Tada-kun feels far more like the one about adults compared to Otaku.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

kater posted:

I am slightly hoping they play the title completely straight and Tada-kun simply never falls in love, but either way it's my favorite show of the season. Romance comedies deserve to look beautiful too! gently caress you 3D Kanojo.

Too late, he just realized that he was in love last episode

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
So do Saber and Lancer ever fight again or are they just going to keep on circlejerking about knight's honor for the remaining 10 episodes? Fate Zero has been kind of disappointing so far. Still good but kind of disappointing. Honestly I think 90% of the reason I'm still enjoying this show is Rider.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Scent of Worf posted:

So do Saber and Lancer ever fight again or are they just going to keep on circlejerking about knight's honor for the remaining 10 episodes? Fate Zero has been kind of disappointing so far. Still good but kind of disappointing. Honestly I think 90% of the reason I'm still enjoying this show is Rider.

The Saber/Lancer subplot will end up as a pretty big deal, yes. Urobuchi’s a notoriously slow starter, but his works generally kick into a higher gear after a bit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Scent of Worf posted:

Aside from Madoka Magica and Psycho Pass' 1st Season (and Kamen Rider Gaim, but that was deffo less of a solo effort), I think that's been Urobuchi's career in a nutshell. He has a ton of kickass ideas and does some decent world-building, but holy hell can he take his sweet time getting there.

Scent of Worf posted:

Honestly I think 90% of the reason I'm still enjoying this show is Rider.
That's like reason number 1 to watch Fate/Zero, but yeah. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I still haven't finished the first Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters movie because hoo boy is that a lot of Urobuchi worldbuilding.

Also Thunderbolt Fantasy was pretty straightforward since it was just a wuxia story.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

kater posted:

Strongly opinionated rant below:

I was gonna wait for the last episode, but I'm calling out Tada-kun Never Falls in Love as the worst romcom with the worst main character I have ever seen. I have a pretty high tolerance towards self-insert boring shells of main characters, but Tada is so frustratingly boring for no reason. Even worse, the entire series is named after his schtick... that is never explained, hinted at, or strategically used in the plot/story. It honestly doesn't matter who Tada is, it doesn't matter what he does, and the entire romance falls apart because of it. Like, imagine the series is called "Tada-kun is a ham sandwich" and replace every scene with him with said ham sandwich, and the story follows how Teresa comes to love eating ham sandwiches while watching Rainbow Shogun; the show would improve. Atleast the title would be meaningful and accurate.

Also the main girl's bangs still suck.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Scent of Worf posted:

Y-es, but it's a pretty slow burn. Luckily, the Rider/Waver subplot is by far the strongest part of Fate/Zero, and it keeps getting better, imo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I still haven't finished the first Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters movie because hoo boy is that a lot of Urobuchi worldbuilding.

Also Thunderbolt Fantasy was pretty straightforward since it was just a wuxia story.
Yeah TB was pretty dang good and I have no doubt Urobuchi's fondness for the Pili International Multimedia's puppets displayed was one of the factors made the project happen in the first place, but let's not kid ourselves: Story was bare bones as heck for Wuxia standards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

From the scuttlebutt I hear, the Godzilla trilogy was supposed to be just one film before it got split up, which would explain why the beginning was glacial even by Urobuchi standards - it’s padded to gently caress.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Eela6 posted:

I'm behind on Hinamatsuri because I've been watching it with a friend, but it is just fantastic. All of it's characters are so interesting and it keeps surprising me without ever feeling 'random'.

It's super great. The characters have wonderful dynamics and the jokes and situations all develop logically based on the characters. I love it. Even when things get more absurd it's almost framed as character growth, like when Hitomi finds other work.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

So Caligula has turned out to be the best anime adaptation of a video game that I've ever seen. It's actually better than the original plot of the game.

I wish that were saying much, though, the game's plot is just kinda... there.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the final four episodes of beatless have been delayed till september. a fitting end

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i guess that means next thread is Summer Season 2018: Victory Road

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

heres the final blu ray cover to celebrate

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Davincie posted:

tsubasa cut her hair

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Davincie posted:

the final four episodes of beatless have been delayed till september. a fitting end

The third episode will be a recap of the previous two.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
anyone know how the golden kamui anime was? The first two episodes or so kinda convinced me to stick with the manga, but these screenshots are pulling me back in

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

anyone know how the golden kamui anime was? The first two episodes or so kinda convinced me to stick with the manga, but these screenshots are pulling me back in

I've been enjoying it, though admittedly I've fallen behind. The production's pretty stiff/janky, but it's improved over the course of the show, and the solid writing & unusual plotting/setting (for anime) keep me interested. I'd check out the next couple episodes if you're interested.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

It's pretty darn cool. It's just that the first 2 ep's are admittedly kind of a letdown, but it's a cool little thang.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Davincie posted:

What is this?

Asking for a friend.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

iospace posted:

What is this?

Asking for a friend.

*Gestures at last like 2 pages of the thread*

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Uma Musume Pretty Derby producers are requesting fans to stop lewding the horses, damaging the reputation of the horse owners.

https://umamusume.jp/news/detail.php?id=news-0106

you heard it horsefuckers

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The horse owners shoulda seen this coming tbh

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

El Burbo posted:

The horse owners shoulda seen this coming tbh

:emptyquote:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
IIRC, some of them did see it coming, and were pretty grumpy when the anime was announced.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

So I am at work and can’t open that link... what they do mean exactly by “lewding the horses”.

Like not the anime characters but the actual horses?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think it just means making erotic fanart of the anime characters that are named and based off of real horses that have owners that have reputations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Tell them to be glad there are no My Little Pony crossovers.

(oh god, I gave them the idea didn't I, I'm so sorry)

• Locked thread