Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Play Monster Hunter World

That's not an open world RPG with magic, cyclops-climbing, and lighting yourself on fire to hug goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

supergayboy posted:

I've been playing through Borderlands 2, after playing through the first one many times years and years ago. I overall enjoy playing the game and everything, but the whole thing is just surrounded by stuff bringing it down

The initial area (up until you take the ship) is hard coded to only drop trash gear (white and some greens), only the bosses have a chance of dropping legendaries. The drop rates in the rest of the game are still not great, but they did apparently boost them in hotfixes. But there's a reason the loot table mods have been so popular through the entire game's history.

Guns are not very balanced, it's true. Some weapon types are bad, some manufacturers are way better at a certain gun type than the others, and some manufacturers are pure trash overall. It also depends on what character you're playing to some extent, but luckily in a normal mode playthrough you may notice there's an imbalance, but it's not a crippling issue. It becomes a huge problem in the later difficulty modes when enemy scaling goes through the roof, so you want certain guns/gun types and talents, and everything else is garbage that makes the experience miserable until you get a new/updated good gun(TM) again.

And yeah they hosed up scaling pretty good. To be honest I probably wouldn't have kept playing after normal mode if it wasn't for gibbed's save editor where you can just edit your character and level up your favourite guns (or experiment with new ones) directly whenever RNG and the level scaling was loving you over.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If you're playing on PC you owe it to yourself to track down the cheat engine script that edits the game's loot tables. Being able to manually adjuat the drop rates so they aren't terrible makes the game slightly more playable. There will still be a lot of trash, but it'll be interesting trash in a variety of loot colors.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Far Cry 2: if I spend more than a minute at a guard post, that is not an invitation to spawn in a fresh set of guards!

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

If you're playing on PC you owe it to yourself to track down the cheat engine script that edits the game's loot tables. Being able to manually adjuat the drop rates so they aren't terrible makes the game slightly more playable. There will still be a lot of trash, but it'll be interesting trash in a variety of loot colors.

I'm playing on PS4 like a sucker unfortunately! It's a real shame though, I can't imagine the pre sequel is much better since it looks to probably be like the second game with a thin coat of paint over it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You should only be playing the Telltale Borderlands game anyway.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing a bunch of Assassin's Creed: Origins and, man, this combat just isn't very good. Can't put my finger on why, specifically though - it just feels that Bayek is often not doing what I want him to. He'll attack in a random direction, even when I'm locked on to an enemy, for example, or he'll dodge around an attack and counterattack, hitting nothing but air. Or he'll dodge a second after I press the button.

Shields suck, too. An enemy with a shield can typically be hit by a strong attack, but you need a charged attack to hit an enemy with a big shield. Sometimes big shields look like small shields, and you'll bounce off like an idiot. Also, when you attack while blocking, you lower your shield and open yourself up to attack. The enemy does not. If the enemy is blocking, and attacks, and you hit it with a faster attack, your attack will simply bounce off while they damage you. The number of times I have died to this is staggering. Oh and there's also a really annoying enemy type that'll throw down smoke bombs and run away, which is a giant pain in the rear end. Not fun or challenging, just annoying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Far Cry 2: if I spend more than a minute at a guard post, that is not an invitation to spawn in a fresh set of guards!

That only happens when you leave the map square, but for based on the edge of a map square it’s easy to accidentally respawn everyone over and over.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That only happens when you leave the map square, but for based on the edge of a map square it’s easy to accidentally respawn everyone over and over.

Ahhhh that's what happened, then. I was at the very top of a square, trying to leave after a rough mission.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Schubalts posted:

That's not an open world RPG with magic, cyclops-climbing, and lighting yourself on fire to hug goblins.
You'd be surprised how much it borrows from Dragon's Dogma.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah. The devs should have just really made the Legendary weapons guaranteed drops from their respective bosses. The gunplay is genuinely pretty fun when you're shooting an assault rifle that fires three bouncing grenades and is pretty boring when you're shooting an assault rifle that looks and feels like an AK-47.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

supergayboy posted:

I'm playing on PS4 like a sucker unfortunately! It's a real shame though, I can't imagine the pre sequel is much better since it looks to probably be like the second game with a thin coat of paint over it.

TPS does objectively improve one thing you mentioned: you now get your active ability at level 3 instead of 5. Also it adds a vending machine that lets you grind up useless guns and spit out a new one (with various caveats for determining rarity) so it at least has that going for it. There's also beam weapons and the ice element added, both of which work really well and help flesh out the drop pool further, on top of a few new/different special gun types. And the skill trees are generally more interesting and better designed.

That said, it's still functionally a big expansion pack for 2. I'm also apparently the one person who actually kinda liked it, but oh well.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Jun 18, 2018

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

TPS does objectively improve one thing you mentioned: you now get your active ability at level 3 instead of 5. Also it adds a vending machine that lets you grind up useless guns and spit out a new one (with various caveats for determining rarity) so it at least has that going for it. There's also beam weapons and the ice element added, both of which work really well and help flesh out the drop pool further, on top of a few new/different special gun types. And the skill trees are generally more interesting and better designed.

That said, it's still functionally a big expansion pack for 2. I'm also apparently the one person who actually kinda liked it, but oh well.

That all sounds actually pretty cool. I've been looking up the different characters in it too and have seen a couple options that could be fun to try. I might wind up getting to it if I'm not completely burned out on the series after 2, so we'll see.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The problem I have with the Pre-Sequel is that it loving loves to lock you in a room and talk at you for minutes before opening the door to the next area. BL2 at least talked at you while you killed lovely bandits or bonerfarts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

The problem I have with the Pre-Sequel is that it loving loves to lock you in a room and talk at you for minutes before opening the door to the next area. BL2 at least talked at you while you killed lovely bandits or bonerfarts.

Yeah, it also would hold off on giving you objective markers until the quest giver was done yammering, which sucked when combined with all the backtracking.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think the Pre-Sequel might be the most obviously padded game I've seen, even more than Darksiders 2. I remember at one point you had to build a robot army or big rear end robot, I forgot, so you had to do one large quest section for the body and one large quest section for the AI, but both of those were gated by smaller quest sections and after you were done with the large ones the game just pushes the next ones on you and...it's just absolutely miserable and boring to play.

Doesn't help that you're on Jack's side, who is an absolute rear end in a top hat in 2 but at least you get to make him mad and shoot his face but, in this one, you just watch idly as he has his "downfall" - which felt more like a nudge - and follow his orders.

Samuringa has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Jun 18, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pre-Sequel has also somehow even worse boss and level designs than BL2. The DLC is especially egregious.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

At least it had butt-stomping.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pre-Sequel has also somehow even worse boss and level designs than BL2. The DLC is especially egregious.

I will say despite otherwise really liking the DLC (well, with the exception of one joke), the absolute low point of TPS for me was the final boss of the DLC. I have no idea what they were thinking with that thing. Sure felt like somebody typed its HP into the spreadsheet and accidentally added an extra zero or two.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Jun 19, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Which joke? I loved the Pre-Sequel, but I don't remember any particularly offensive jokes, but it's also been years since I played it.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

Which joke? I loved the Pre-Sequel, but I don't remember any particularly offensive jokes, but it's also been years since I played it.

Just gotta shout my one drag down of the game...
Turning Felicity into a mindless breeder bot triggers the gently caress out of my PTSD.
Other than that, it's a decent loot em up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leavemywife posted:

The sidequest featuring MINAC, the final boss of the Claptrap DLC from BL1. For no justified reason it suddenly talks like a gay stereotype and the entire point of the quest is prettying it up and de-weaponizing it to make it a more palatable memory for Claptrap, which also gives it transphobic undertones.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Jun 19, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Detroit Become Human is a better game than most of us suspected.

There are lots of little quibbles you can have with the game but my real tiny thing dragging it down:

This chase sequence is probably one of my favourite bits of gameplay in the game (but don't worry, no spoilers) so feel free to watch robo-cop Connor chase a fugitive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbCghqEmKVM

My little thing dragging it down is that Connor's motion actor did not do Tom Cruise's weird robo run when it would have been perfect for it.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Prey: Mooncrash really didn't need the Corruption timer thrown in. I'm not even sure what purpose it serves, so I either missed some exposition or it's just complete garbage tacked on for arbitrary nonsense.

Lead Psychiatry has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Jun 19, 2018

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I ended up refunding mooncrash, sadly. I wanted more 0451 content, but using it as a platform for a roguelite didn't really work for me at all. :shrug:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I think the Pre-Sequel might be the most obviously padded game I've seen, even more than Darksiders 2.

I'm fairly certain this has been posted here, but gently caress it, it's gloriously dumb.

Partway through Darksiders 2, you travel to the Land of the Dead (which is not the afterlife) to meet with the King of the Dead (who is not Death, you're Death).

In order to gain an audience you must first defeat his champion.

In order to summon the champion, you must first collect three horns to put on a statue. So off you trundle to collect three horns to summon the guardian to get an audience with the King.

Once you've done that, the King says that he is unable to help you without his three lieutenants who have gone missing. So off you trundle, to three different dungeons in three far corners of the land, to collect the three Lieutenants.

The first two are fairly straightforward, but the third is unable to return, because he's busy trying to collect three lost souls that have also wandered off. So off you trundle all around the dungeon to get the three lost souls so the third lieutenant will come with you so the King of the Dead will open a portal to the next place on your journey.

Once you get all three lieutenants and bring them back to the King, he calls them a bunch of traitors for leaving him, and kills them on the spot before opening the portal for you. Turns out he never needed them in the first place!

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Yeah, the Pre-Sequel did a lot of good things mechanically, but the writing, bosses and levels were a step down. I think the characters are the most fun to play as, its a shame they aren't in a better game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I wish games would let you subcontract out the busywork to someone less important, say for a reward of some random enchanted crown you picked up in the first few hours of the game which is now completely useless

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Convex posted:

I wish games would let you subcontract out the busywork to someone less important, say for a reward of some random enchanted crown you picked up in the first few hours of the game which is now completely useless

some MMORPGS do.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Convex posted:

Some Freemium mobile games do that if you pay real money.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Convex posted:

Assassin's Creed would be great if you could recruit someone else to do the tailing missions for you.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
The Borderlands series was a bit of a rough one. It's probably already been said before, but the two things that stuck out to me the most were:

1) Most of the guns you found were pretty much trash: there were only a few archetypes and manufacturers that were worth it. This can be alright sometimes, as it makes the good ones shine brighter, but the most unfortunate part of this was that the guns that were worth it were mostly generic guns you'd see in any other game. Meanwhile, the small amount of guns that had unique, interesting quirks, like the first gun you get, TK's Big Wave or whatever, which fired a spread of sinusoidal-arcing buckshot, were garbage. It's funny because they lead with a wacky gun like that, so you think it'll keep it up, but it falls flat and doesn't recover after all: just generic guns onwards. So much for the advertising that promised a million unique gun variants.

2) A cool thing you could do before Borderlands came out was to go to their website and view the skill trees. It was fun to plan out your build, and while the early Borderlands were mostly trees filled with boring %-up passives, they started to get interesting game-changing abilities in the later ones. Too bad those interesting abilities were at the bottom of a tree, and you won't even reach that far on your first playthrough! Heck, you don't even get your first actual ability until level 5, if I remember, so you're just shooting boring guns until then. Too many games don't let you actually play with a full-skill build until the final boss, where it's too late to have any fun with it: Borderlands was the worst of this example.

Like people say, the Borderlands games are best played with a cheat engine so you can actually play with interesting guns and a unique skill build, which even then it barely had.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sunswipe posted:

Assassin's Creed would be great if you could recruit someone else to do the tailing missions for you.

Then people would complain about the game only having half an hour of content

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

spit on my clit posted:

Then people would complain about the game only having half an hour of content

The other half hour is managing your assassin's guild missions to other countries and tower defence minigames.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

FutureCop posted:

The Borderlands series was a bit of a rough one. It's probably already been said before, but the two things that stuck out to me the most were:

1) Most of the guns you found were pretty much trash: there were only a few archetypes and manufacturers that were worth it. This can be alright sometimes, as it makes the good ones shine brighter, but the most unfortunate part of this was that the guns that were worth it were mostly generic guns you'd see in any other game. Meanwhile, the small amount of guns that had unique, interesting quirks, like the first gun you get, TK's Big Wave or whatever, which fired a spread of sinusoidal-arcing buckshot, were garbage. It's funny because they lead with a wacky gun like that, so you think it'll keep it up, but it falls flat and doesn't recover after all: just generic guns onwards. So much for the advertising that promised a million unique gun variants.

2) A cool thing you could do before Borderlands came out was to go to their website and view the skill trees. It was fun to plan out your build, and while the early Borderlands were mostly trees filled with boring %-up passives, they started to get interesting game-changing abilities in the later ones. Too bad those interesting abilities were at the bottom of a tree, and you won't even reach that far on your first playthrough! Heck, you don't even get your first actual ability until level 5, if I remember, so you're just shooting boring guns until then. Too many games don't let you actually play with a full-skill build until the final boss, where it's too late to have any fun with it: Borderlands was the worst of this example.

Like people say, the Borderlands games are best played with a cheat engine so you can actually play with interesting guns and a unique skill build, which even then it barely had.

One of the things Borderlands really needed was more then one active ability. Once you got your main character skill that was kinda it. Most everything else was small number changes. Nothing like leveling and getting something like +%2 to reload speed.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
There was a GBA RPG that let you buy or whine your way out of doing sidequests and stuff. You played as a princess or dark lord's daughter or something.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My World, My Way was on the DS, but it sounds like that game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Convex posted:

Phantasy Star Online 2 does. After a certain point in the story you can make a Support Partner. Which is just a tiny person who hangs out in your room and you can tell them to go do things for you. So if you ever get a mission to like, go collect fifty dinosaur bones you can make them go do it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CitizenKain posted:

One of the things Borderlands really needed was more then one active ability. Once you got your main character skill that was kinda it. Most everything else was small number changes. Nothing like leveling and getting something like +%2 to reload speed.

They tried to sneak around that limitation in 2, with several trees giving you access to abilities that overrode your melee attack under certain circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

They tried to sneak around that limitation in 2, with several trees giving you access to abilities that overrode your melee attack under certain circumstances.

Some of the later skills gave you crazy poo poo, too, like teleporting your turret to your aim point and having it set off a nuclear explosion as it set up, IIRC.