Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

We’d get the classic BK I think if it happened. Didn’t Sakurai threaten to not include Pac-Man if he was forced to use the Ghostly Adventures design by Namco?:lol:

Sakurai is a man of principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cicadas! posted:

It would be so loving weird to see the Minecraft guy, probably the lowest effort character ever made, in Smash, a series known for insane levels of polish in just about everything.

I don't think even Sakurai could make it work, unless he's a joke character that only has one attack and the same half-assed animations as his home game.
I dunno, I think they could figure something out from the ingredients they're given. Attacks could involve items from the game (Sword, Pickaxe etc.) or building things. An attack that places a destroyable solid block could have some interesting implications, but it could also potentially cause a lot of trouble with screwing up people's recovery attempts.

Final Smash could be, I dunno, summoning the Ender Dragon or something.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Maple Leaf posted:

Steve? won't make it in as a playable character, but a Creeper will make it in as an assist trophy.

This plus a Minecraft level feels like the stuff they could do. A level would be a lot of fun. destructible and modular and randomized

I don't think it would get a character though

Just Banjo-Kazooie and their level, then a Minecraft level and Creeper assist

And playable Master Chief

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Give me Conker before Banjo.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Kins posted:

I dunno, I think they could figure something out from the ingredients they're given. Attacks could involve items from the game (Sword, Pickaxe etc.) or building things. An attack that places a destroyable solid block could have some interesting implications, but it could also potentially cause a lot of trouble with screwing up people's recovery attempts.

Final Smash could be, I dunno, summoning the Ender Dragon or something.

I think Cicadas was being less critical of the move potential of Minecraft and more pointing out the gap in design quality between Steve and uh anyone else in Smash. To keep in the spirit of Minecraft they would probably have to keep Steve close to the incarnation you see in the game to be recognizable, so his stiff movements and generally rough design would stick out like a sore thumb compared to the more smooth and polished Smash cast. If they Smash-ified Steve, he would just be some dude and less recognizable as a Minecraft character.

A stage/assist trophy/item is definitely the way to go IMO, unless Sakurai is thinking of or has already thought of a good way to handle Steve's inclusion because if anybody can, it's him.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SeANMcBAY posted:

Microsoft owns Banjo. It would be cool and Microsoft said they’re cool with it but I doubt Nintendo cares that much to deal with the mess of getting him in.

They have Snake, Pac-Man, Sonic, Bayonetta, Cloud, Mega Man, and Ryu. I don't think they'll have any issue getting the rights to put any third party character in Smash.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Your Computer posted:

you know if they're adding Banjo and Kazooie we're not getting the Banjo and Kazooie we love, right

they're adding this

Nuts and Bolts loving rules and I would accept this

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

also re: banjo design in smash, keep in mind that Pac Man doesn't look like that anymore (and didn't in his cartoon that was going around when smash 4 hit) and Sakurai used the retro iconic look anyway

Banjo could look straight out of n64 promo art, they can really do whatever

I'm cool with the N&B design though, it's got a lot of personality

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Your Computer posted:

you know if they're adding Banjo and Kazooie we're not getting the Banjo and Kazooie we love, right

they're adding this

that is the banjo and kazooie i love

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
EARTH
WORM
JIM

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
lol at the thread blasting k. rool for not being relevant then getting hype for geno, a side character who appeared in one game 20 years ago that didn't didn't even get a worldwide release

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want the mario maker stage

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

lol at the thread blasting k. rool for not being relevant then getting hype for geno, a side character who appeared in one game 20 years ago that didn't didn't even get a worldwide release

Geno shoot bullets out of his fingers and lasers out of his wrists, K. Rool is fat and throws his crown at you.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fawf posted:

Nuts and Bolts loving rules and I would accept this

absolutely anything posted:

that is the banjo and kazooie i love

:yikes:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Maple Leaf posted:

Geno shoot bullets out of his fingers and lasers out of his wrists, K. Rool is fat and throws his crown at you.

he also has a blunderbuss you philistine, and jump attacks

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I think with some people really wanting Geno even though he only appeared in one game 20 years ago makes him make sense as a Deep Cut pick, like the Ice Climbers or Pit. He'd be cool.

K.Rool was the main villain of a beloved Not Mario Or Kirby platformer 20 years ago and Nintendo seems to not like him or something-- no K.Rool in the Donkey Kong Country Returns games and all.

Personally I'd love either or both, but K.Rool and "Anyone from Advance Wars" are the only two things that feel downright missing to me.

Plus, maybe K.Rool could switch between identities to play different, or continue the tradition of him having a new identity ever game with a new one.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I'm not too enthusiastic about Banjo/Kazooie being a playable character, I'd rather them give us a Gruntilda assist trophy that just makes a N64 quality text box show up with Grunty insulting all the fighters in rhyme.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pops Mgee posted:

EARTH
WORM
JIM

the soil he did crawl

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Filthy Haiku posted:

I'm not too enthusiastic about Banjo/Kazooie being a playable character, I'd rather them give us a Gruntilda assist trophy that just makes a N64 quality text box show up with Grunty insulting all the fighters in rhyme.

I love this idea, but only if it makes the noise, too. REAGH RAGH RUUGH REAH!

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the bear and bird make an appearance, but this would be a great way to give the series a nod if an AT is all they're going to get.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Gay Horney posted:

Is there some super set in stone reason they can't add banjo

he sucks

Pops Mgee posted:

EARTH
WORM
JIM

no he is racist

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Um excuse me, he also appears in a minigame in Superstar Saga :goonsay:

Anyway, I thought that was cute.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Especially since there are far less relevant characters that have been in the series since the very first game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

K. Rool should not be in Smash because he looks like he stepped out of a loving vore comic

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

The dude gold-plated his outie. He is a viable candidate but he is a disgusting freak who shouldn’t even have a trophy.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I hate seeing anything that reminds me of the disgusting looking stuff Rare was making back then. I don't even want to see Diddy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
K. Rool looked fine in the cartoon, at least, where he's a bit more proportional.

Obviously he is an echo fighter of Bowser, and rather than spit fire he sings a random song from one of the episodes until you stop holding B.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

multijoe posted:

K. Rool should not be in Smash because he looks like he stepped out of a loving vore comic

I've seen many legit reasons to not include him, but this one is uh...

Well it sure is a reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope they put in Wonder Red.

I also want a Wes skin for Pokemon Trainer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shadowlyger posted:

They have Snake, Pac-Man, Sonic, Bayonetta, Cloud, Mega Man, and Ryu. I don't think they'll have any issue getting the rights to put any third party character in Smash.

Microsoft isn't a third party, though. They're a rival first party publisher and console manufacturer who are already having issues with console exclusives. It's a different situation.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Um excuse me, he also appears in a minigame in Superstar Saga :goonsay:

Anyway, I thought that was cute.

I can't take that image of DK seriously anymore :negative:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Microsoft isn't a third party, though. They're a rival first party publisher and console manufacturer who are already having issues with console exclusives. It's a different situation.
They're also a high-grossing third-party developer with a history of co-operating with Nintendo dating back to the GBA. It's a strange relationship between the two platform-holders, but if Sakurai and his team wants something from them, I think the complications could be sorted out.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I can't take that image of DK seriously anymore :negative:

I didn’t realize it was his official character portrait fuckin lmfao

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oddjob from Goldeneye 64

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Oddjob from Goldeneye 64

oh you better believe he’s banned already, he can just suck under everybody’s attacks :rolleyes:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly don't think they should add anyone else, 68 characters is already a poo poo load. Give me subspace emmissary remastered or something though, right now is the perfect time for it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Geno makes more sense than K Rool

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Luna Was Here posted:

I honestly don't think they should add anyone else, 68 characters is already a poo poo load. Give me subspace emmissary remastered or something though, right now is the perfect time for it

69 characters would be even more nice

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

codenameFANGIO posted:

no he is racist

Oh god what did I miss?

Earthworm Jim actually is thematically PERFECT for Smash and a level with Evil the Cat just bopping in the background would be great.

Final Smash is obviously COW LAUNCHED

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Geno Whirl se his side b and if you time it right you deal a buttload of damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
People with personality disorders need to be repped in Smash, and what better character than K. Rool to fill that crevasse?