Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Mighty Moltres posted:

"We can dress real neat from our hats to our feet and surprise them with the victory cry."
-Men Without Hats, "The Safety Dance"

Men Without Hats.

Without hats.

loving liars.

They named the band before they got hats, and by then they already had business cards printed, so they had to keep it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Also consider that Men Who Sometimes Wear Hats If The Occasion Calls For It doesn't really work as a band name.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It says they CAN dress real neat. They probably chose not to!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The song is like If I Were a Rich Man from Fiddler on the Roof. They're dreaming about what they would do if they had hats, and it's rather cruel of you to point out that they don't.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I realized I'd never watched the video for "Safety Dance," so I did, and my god there is a lot of headwear present, up to and including a pair of chicken masks

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

I realized I'd never watched the video for "Safety Dance," so I did, and my god there is a lot of headwear present, up to and including a pair of chicken masks

mask : hat :: hotdog : sandwich

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

That doesn't work, because masks are better than hats, not the other way around.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That doesn't work, because masks are better than hats, not the other way around.

Oh my god what have you done.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

What about a ski mask, which is both a mask AND a hat?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Besesoth posted:

What about a ski mask, which is both a mask AND a hat?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

too ribwich-like

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Monkey posted:

So the same thing?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Of course Star Wars was a long time ago. If it was in a galaxy far, far away it would take millions of years for the light to reach us.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Hyperlynx posted:

Of course Star Wars was a long time ago. If it was in a galaxy far, far away it would take millions of years for the light to reach us.

This could easily be a Neil DeGrasse Tyson tweet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I only just found out Star Wars is a documentary. I thought it was fictional all along.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nnnyes, a documentary :D nnn

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This could easily be a Neil DeGrasse Tyson tweet.

the element inspector in your browser is fun

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Besesoth posted:

the element inspector in your browser is fun
especially if you run into a website with idiotic anti-paste flags in their password fields

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Works a treat on "please disable your ad blocker" requests too

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A guy I know apparently just had a big argument with someone over the definition of the word "several" because he was dead sure it meant "seven-ish".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A guy I know apparently just had a big argument with someone over the definition of the word "several" because he was dead sure it meant "seven-ish".

I've had that happen to fiveral friends

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krankenstyle posted:

I've had that happen to fiveral friends

lol

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Growing up, the phrase "a couple of -blank-" says meant more than two, less than five. Turns out it was just my family, and to all rational people, a couple means two.
I still have a habit of using it to mean a handful or less.
I was also taught that a moment had a very strict, specific definition of 90 seconds. No more, no less. Thanks, Baltimore public schools! (See also spending all of Kindergarten and First learning the vowels as A,E,I,O,U, Sometimes Y, and Sometimes W, then spending the next year learning that your first teachers were stupid assholes.)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What the gently caress is sometimes W in English.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

What the gently caress is sometimes W in English.

In words like 'low' the w makes up the second part of the diphthong. Letters themselves aren't actually 'vowels' they're just letters, but rather the sound you make is the 'vowel sound'.

Source - https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/when-is-w-a-vowel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I definitely learned a “couple” was any indeterminate amount more than one and whose upper bound was based on size. It took forever to learn it just meant 2 and then I stopped using it because if I know how many I need Ill just get that many you couple using weirdos

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That's the first I hear of "a couple of things" having a specific number attached. I mean I'm not a native speaker, but I'd never think twice about this being basically synonymous with "a few".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A married couple is not 3-5 people though

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

In words like 'low' the w makes up the second part of the diphthong. Letters themselves aren't actually 'vowels' they're just letters, but rather the sound you make is the 'vowel sound'.

Source - https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/when-is-w-a-vowel

So is L also a vowel then?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just checked the Oxford, Cambridge and Merriam-Webster dictionaries and they all defined it as "two or a few" or "an indefinite small number" in the context of numbers of objects.

purple death ray posted:

A married couple is not 3-5 people though

Words can have different meanings in different contexts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just checked the Oxford, Cambridge and Merriam-Webster dictionaries and they all defined it as "two or a few" or "an indefinite small number" in the context of numbers of objects.

Words can have different meanings in different contexts.

The people who believes it only means two are agressive. Its happened to me a couple of times where someone interupted me mid sentence to point that out.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

So is L also a vowel then?

Sometimes, yeah.

http://www.dictionary.com/e/w-vowel/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barudak posted:

The people who believes it only means two are agressive. Its happened to me a couple of times where someone interupted me mid sentence to point that out.

Yeah I know those people. You can point out to them that every dictionary says they're wrong but they still won't accept it, or they'll back out of the argument with something like "Ugh, whatever, I'm bored of talking about!" it rather than admitting they were wrong and then the next time it comes up in conversation they'll go back to their original claim.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well the truth is that neither party is right. Clinging to dictionary definitions of words is essentially admitting that you've lost the argument. Language is defined by the people speaking it and there's tons of things in common usage that aren't "right" according to the dictionary. On the other hand I have to admit that it's prescriptive to demand that "a couple" only refers to two things, so I also lose the argument.

What I can do is to implore my fellow English speakers to use "a couple" to mean two things, because I personally think that we already have words like "a few" and "a handful," and "couple" is a more useful word to differentiate from other small groups of people/objects than it is as just a synonym for "few". It is confusing when a word is both a synonym for "a pair" and "a few"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

purple death ray posted:

Well the truth is that neither party is right. Clinging to dictionary definitions of words is essentially admitting that you've lost the argument. Language is defined by the people speaking it and there's tons of things in common usage that aren't "right" according to the dictionary. On the other hand I have to admit that it's prescriptive to demand that "a couple" only refers to two things, so I also lose the argument.

What I can do is to implore my fellow English speakers to use "a couple" to mean two things, because I personally think that we already have words like "a few" and "a handful," and "couple" is a more useful word to differentiate from other small groups of people/objects than it is as just a synonym for "few". It is confusing when a word is both a synonym for "a pair" and "a few"

The great error made by prescriptivists is assuming that dictionaries are meant to be an authority. They're not. They're records of common usage. The only thing a dictionary entry means is "this usage is common enough that it meets our criteria for recording it".

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

One could say "why does a couple need to mean two when we already have the word two?" though. I think I tend to use couple when it's probably two but I don't know for sure or I don't care too much about the real amount. Like "it happened a couple of years ago" or "pass me a couple of chips". Maybe it was three years, I'm not gonna be mad if you pass me four chips, but the intent was two.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

purple death ray posted:

Clinging to dictionary definitions of words is essentially admitting that you've lost the argument. Language is defined by the people speaking it and there's tons of things in common usage that aren't "right" according to the dictionary. On the other hand I have to admit that it's prescriptive to demand that "a couple" only refers to two things, so I also lose the argument.

No, no, it's fine. You just say that demanding "a couple" be used to refer only to two things isn't "prescriptivist" because the word "prescriptivist" means "comprised of raw camel flesh".
After all, language is defined by the people speaking it! :pseudo:

(More seriously, I get what you're saying but at the same time I feel like sometimes the argument against prescriptivism is an excuse people use to offload the mental work of communication onto the other participant. "I don't have to pay attention to what words are usually understood to mean, you just have to psychically divine what I intend them to mean!")

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The dictionary definition of moot is the opposite of moot.

Many dictionaries now literally say literally doesn't mean literally.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Organza Quiz posted:

One could say "why does a couple need to mean two when we already have the word two?" though. I think I tend to use couple when it's probably two but I don't know for sure or I don't care too much about the real amount. Like "it happened a couple of years ago" or "pass me a couple of chips". Maybe it was three years, I'm not gonna be mad if you pass me four chips, but the intent was two.

Yeah, it's like a soft 2, or twoish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The_White_Crane posted:

No, no, it's fine. You just say that demanding "a couple" be used to refer only to two things isn't "prescriptivist" because the word "prescriptivist" means "comprised of raw camel flesh".
After all, language is defined by the people speaking it! :pseudo:

(More seriously, I get what you're saying but at the same time I feel like sometimes the argument against prescriptivism is an excuse people use to offload the mental work of communication onto the other participant. "I don't have to pay attention to what words are usually understood to mean, you just have to psychically divine what I intend them to mean!")

All I know is I mostly encounter the "words mean things!!" crowd when someone is trying to deny some group of people rights, such as clinging to a dictionary that defines marriage as between a man and a woman, or being extremely literal about racial distinctions so they can deny being huge racists (Islam isn't a race! You're the real bigot!). I wasn't aware of this sort of Dada-esque argument in favor of prescriptivism but I would say that the person in your post would be very bad at communicating if they ever actually existed.

I used to be a huge prescriptivist actually but seeing how it was used turned me around on it.