Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the same editing style that MTV did 20 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I hate that style of editing but the alternative would almost always be a video that's 70% dead air and "Uhhh... ummmmm..." because the number of people willing to have a piece of paper in front of them with an outline of their talking points and just do another take when they mess up is vanishingly small.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Theres no rules for editing. It’s all about the pacing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As well as the Benjamin's

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

Can I ask why -- and, if I can also, what your age is?
Keeps the pace up, wastes less time. I'm 33.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Iron Crowned posted:

I got this one last week:

"There was a sign saying it was $79 this morning, and it's $119 now, can I get it for $79?"
This was around 6pm, we have a policy that if there's still a sign advertising it at a sale price we have to honor it, but that sign had been long removed, so no of course you can't.

This is gonna sound all "Can I speak to the manager?", but I took my mom shopping yesterday, and in the clearance aisle, there were several boxes of bath rugs that were individually and clearly labeled with clearance price stickers on on each and every box. The mats were originally $13, but were marked down to $4, and every single box was all clearly marked at $4 (I even read the fine print to see that yes, these were $4 bath mats and not something else). My mom needed bath rugs, so we got two of one color and two of another color for her.

Checkout time, and two of one color rings up at $8 instead of $4 (the other colored ones rang up at the correct $4). We tell the cashier that every box said $4 clearance price, and the cashier proceeds to ramble on that there was a mistake in pricing them and she can't give them to us at $4 and it's obvious the price difference is because one color is older stock and the moon is in the Seventh House and Jupiter aligned with Mars and blah blah blah and whatever. I told the cashier I didn't want the $8 ones then and just bought the two at $4 without a fuss, but inside I was disappointed and a little mad.

You know what? Sometimes the customer is right. Your store had an item marked at a specific price, and fuckup or not, old stock or new, I should get it at that price because that's what the loving sticker said. You can fix the price on the boxes after I bought it if some are indeed priced wrong, But that's pretty much lying to my face when I know for a fact it is what it said it is.

Note: I would never try this over anything expensive or over $100 because it's obviously a fuckup, but these were bath mats with a $8 price difference for both, for gently caress's sake.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
legally the price on an item on the shelf is an invitation to treat and is in no way binding on the shop or staff.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

This applies even more to Windows updates. If you're going to interrupt me with this oh-so-important update that needas to reboot my computer, at least tell me what the gently caress it is.
And don't gently caress up my sharing settings while you're at it. Our Windows 10 machine rebooted with updates last week, and afterward I couldn't access its shared directories. It literally worked on Tuesday and didn't work on Wednesday. :mad: I think this has something to do with why Chrome Remote Desktop also suddenly stopped working/got extremely flaky.

(Adding insult to injury, the permissions were set correctly...in one of the several sharing permissions dialogs. I had to dig down and click some non-intuitively-named button to get to the real permissions setting that actually did anything (and they were indeed set such that they blocked my access).)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

I'm in favour of updates because I'd rather my games work properly, but I want to know what they actually did. It just makes it feel much more worthwhile if I get a screen saying "Fixed bug that sometimes caused crashes during startup on certain graphics settings" or whatever. Even if it doesn't apply to me I can appreciate that that was a problem for some people and it's good that it's fixed.

This applies even more to Windows updates. If you're going to interrupt me with this oh-so-important update that needas to reboot my computer, at least tell me what the gently caress it is.

I don't know about hip or cool, but I like that YouTube editing style.

Yeah I'd at least be less annoyed if I knew what they were changing. It just seemed absurd at the time that an update that didn't involve releasing a new map set or something required 7 gigabytes. Yeah you can look online and find it out later, but in the moment all you're presented with is "update 1.3.3.2 needs to be downloaded to access online services" or whatever.

The worst thing with windows updates is when they sneak it in the first time you shut down. Like I'll need to go to work in the next minute so I shut down my laptop and go to put it in my bag so I can go, only to see "configuring windows updates, do not shut down your computer". One time I tried to just shut it and stick it in my bag and hope it would finish on the way in to work and it ended up overheating, so when I see that now it's like "well, I guess I'm going to be late for work today".

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I hate that style of editing but the alternative would almost always be a video that's 70% dead air and "Uhhh... ummmmm..." because the number of people willing to have a piece of paper in front of them with an outline of their talking points and just do another take when they mess up is vanishingly small.

We must be the change we wish to see in the world.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Peeve: when my poo poo rear end stupid loving goddamn gently caress of a phone decides to die when I really don't have the money to buy a new one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Couriers. Everything about them.

I got a message today saying that the parcel I ordered was "on its way", with no indication of what that meant. So I phoned the company and asked and they told me that it definitely wouldn't arrive before 10am tomorrow. So I went out. And of course I arrived home to a bit of paper saying they tried to deliver it and I wasn't here.

And when I phoned them back, the best they could do was a vague promise to ask the driver to do his best to get back here by 12:30 tomorrow. And he might be here as early as 6:30 in the morning. So I'm supposed to get up early and sit around my house half the day waiting.

How the gently caress does a business survive when they are this bad at what they do?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Friday: Company I rent from: Oh heyyyy yeaaahh, there are going to come some carptenters into your flat sometime between 9-18, mon/tue/wed. I can't be more specific than that.

Ah, a triple whammy of
Company giving a heads up at the last possible time they can.
People needing access to my flat for various random reasons and repairs, instead of fixing these kinds of things all at once. (This time it's to check if the windows are loose, I cannot imagine they are. )
And incredibly vague times for when they'll be here.

It's not as bad as the student dorm I used to live in, where it would happen every couple of weeks like clockwork, but it's still incredibly tedious.

e: actually, a quadrouple-whammy. Because they also sent the email as CC instead of BCC. Thanks for giving my personal email away to a fuckload of randoms. Really appreciate it.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Jun 18, 2018

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The phrase "no worries." I don't know why, but it's really terrible. Every time someone says it, I want to respond with, "Eh, quite a few worries, actually" in my best Larry David voice.

Also when someone calls me "boss".

You Are A Elf posted:

This is gonna sound all "Can I speak to the manager?"

There's nothing inherently wrong with asking to speak to a manager. I mean, the whole point is that a manager may have discretion that regular floor staff might not have and it's not worth wasting their time. The problem arises when a customer has an attitude about it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

The one that gets me the most is "my dude/guy". Also "buddy", "pal" and "brosef". Just bro is acceptable, but gently caress brosef.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

mojo1701a posted:

The phrase "no worries." I don't know why, but it's really terrible.

Especially when it's their response to someone thanking them.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

ghost emoji posted:

People who try to start conversations with you on public transportation when you have your headphones in.

Same. The worst case I've had was seeing a woman out of my eye corner walk right past 5 or 6 people who were looking at her to grab me by the arm to ask something....even though I was looking out of the window and listening to music.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Technology making choices for you without your knowledge. My phone will stop notifying me about new emails in the middle of the night, my twitter will stop updating my feed if i haven't looked at it often enough, etc. Just always be active, stop making me push a button once every hour or whatever so you know I still want to be notified about this stuff. Every day I'll look at my phone in the morning and see no new emails and think "oh, good", but then when I get to my computer there are like 10 new emails with poo poo to do. If my phone hadn't been such an rear end I could have seen those and gotten up and addressed them a lot faster.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mojo1701a posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with asking to speak to a manager. I mean, the whole point is that a manager may have discretion that regular floor staff might not have and it's not worth wasting their time. The problem arises when a customer has an attitude about it.

99% of the time they do. If an employee gets something that they lack the authority to fix then the employee is the one going for a manager before the customer even asks. That sort of thing is like the customer says "hey can you do this or fix this problem?" and the employee is all "well I can't but my boss can let me find them."

"I want to speak to a manager" the majority of the time happens when a customer is asking for something unreasonable or is going to complain until they're given something free to make them go away. Yeah if you have a valid reason asking to talk to a manager is fine but mostly it's people being dicks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mojo1701a posted:

The phrase "no worries." I don't know why, but it's really terrible. Every time someone says it, I want to respond with, "Eh, quite a few worries, actually" in my best Larry David voice.

I say no worries all the time.

No worries though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

99% of the time they do. If an employee gets something that they lack the authority to fix then the employee is the one going for a manager before the customer even asks. That sort of thing is like the customer says "hey can you do this or fix this problem?" and the employee is all "well I can't but my boss can let me find them."

"I want to speak to a manager" the majority of the time happens when a customer is asking for something unreasonable or is going to complain until they're given something free to make them go away. Yeah if you have a valid reason asking to talk to a manager is fine but mostly it's people being dicks.

Yeah, I mean, I'm probably an outlier because I can survive without my temporary retail job, but in the bathmat example above, I would have just scanned the $4 a couple more times.

Hell, there have been a few times when people bring up the 8 packs of flowers with 3 or so missing, and as long as they're buying something else, I'll just put them in the bag and do this: :ssh: (because we're just going to throw it away anyway).

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
When music videos have credits before them like saying who directed it. You made a music video, get over yourself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

When music videos have credits before them like saying who directed it. You made a music video, get over yourself.

What's wrong with artists getting credit for their work?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

What's wrong with artists getting credit for their work?

Also some people are well respected as music video directors, e.g. Hype Williams

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
And some great directors got their start in music videos.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lack of feedback on computers. I double-click a file and nothing happens. Is it just taking a whole to load or did I click too slowly or something? No way to tell!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tiggum posted:

Lack of feedback on computers. I double-click a file and nothing happens. Is it just taking a whole to load or did I click too slowly or something? No way to tell!

Yes, I think a pet peeve could be "the way computers do things"

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Today a middle-aged white lady painstakingly explained a bunch of poo poo to me, all of which I already know.

I did not enjoy the experience.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
American culture's obsession with being productive 24/7. This is what set me off --

"Apartment Therapy posted:

Try Multitasking
Clear off the bathroom counter as you brush your teeth, or do some lunges on your way from the kitchen to the bedroom. Small additions that help you feel like you're accomplishing something while also preparing you to wind down are a great idea – just don't add things that will ultimately wind you up or make it tougher to sleep.
JFC, can we not have 2 minutes to just brush our teeth in peace?! Why should we feel compelled to maximize productivity at every minute of the day? This is especially bullshit advice given that this article is about how to prepare yourself to go to bed. You should be winding yourself down and quieting your mind, not cramming even more poo poo to do so you can "feel like you're accomplishing something," like some crazed worker bee whose life is worthless if you haven't hit your productivity quota for the day.

And if I'm about to go to bed, I'm not going to do lunges as I walk from room to room, gently caress OFF.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rabbit Hill posted:

American culture's obsession with being productive 24/7. This is what set me off --

JFC, can we not have 2 minutes to just brush our teeth in peace?! Why should we feel compelled to maximize productivity at every minute of the day? This is especially bullshit advice given that this article is about how to prepare yourself to go to bed. You should be winding yourself down and quieting your mind, not cramming even more poo poo to do so you can "feel like you're accomplishing something," like some crazed worker bee whose life is worthless if you haven't hit your productivity quota for the day.

This is an extension of the whole workaholic "I work 80+ hours a week" BS. Like if you're always busy you're somehow more important than everybody else.

As far as multitasking goes, it's another bullshit fad that should have died out years ago. So instead of doing one thing efficiently you do several things at once inefficiently. And that's better how?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Rabbit Hill posted:

And if I'm about to go to bed, I'm not going to do lunges as I walk from room to room, gently caress OFF.

We were just talking about this at work. Someone was like, “America is said to be the hardest working country cause we work so much” or similar and we all laughed. No, we work stupidly hours and are underpaid for it; many people work off the clock, working 50+ hours a week is a norm in my company. Thank god my state (city?) mandates overtime pay and my city’s minimum wage is pretty high (lol it’s not a livable wage but at least it isn’t the country’s minimum wage which is $7.25). I got Chipotle the other day and it was $15. It sucks to think like, “hey [item] costs [x] amount of hours that I worked.”

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How the gently caress do you spend $15 at Chipotle. That has to be 3 pounds of food.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm assuming thin privilege isn't something that poster has.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

How the gently caress do you spend $15 at Chipotle. That has to be 3 pounds of food.

Burrito with guac plus a drink gets you pretty close.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

working 50+ hours a week is a norm in my company

Every place I've worked has been mandatory 84 hour work weeks. I can only maintain this for a few months at a time, so I have to alternate between spending more time at work than I do at home and being unemployed.

And of course these places are all confused as poo poo about why they just can't seem to get employees to stay.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Every place I've worked has been mandatory 84 hour work weeks. I can only maintain this for a few months at a time, so I have to alternate between spending more time at work than I do at home and being unemployed.

And of course these places are all confused as poo poo about why they just can't seem to get employees to stay.

Good lord what industry are you in?

I work production and I have 52 hour weeks with the people on the floor working 48 mandatory. I cant imagine all but doubling that.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

various factory production jobs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The US sounds like a loving hellscape

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

various factory production jobs

Man I feel for you.

I work in a glass factory, so we cant just shut machines down since the ribbon is always flowing and we still only mandate 48, with a few exceptions like manpower shortages, but it's rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Andrast posted:

The US sounds like a loving hellscape

It is. Basically everything about working in America is terrible.