Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I cranked up the sensitivity on both the motion aiming and the stick to max and I get it now, the motion aiming is Certified Good. Being able to adjust my aim with just a flick of the wrist makes all the difference.

Now if I could just suck less with any non-dualies weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I’m kinda surprised that people are questioning how nobody has the INT stat to realise Marina is an Octarian given that in the expansion our given yardstick for what an adult Inkling is, who is also a war vet and a tactician, willingly went into something that was blatantly a death trap AND ALSO A BLENDER on the promise that it would get him to “The Promised Land”.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dizz posted:

Phase 2, rushing works a lot but if she dodges into her bubbles then you need to wait for her to get her special again which is annoying since you have to worry about mines setting off the other bubbles.

Phase 3 rushing is iffy, since she can still shoot you when she has bomb rush out.

phase 4 supposedly you're meant to throw bombs at her which is impossible to do while avoiding missles, a bomb, and her shooting everywhere. I just get real close and shoot and hope I can tick her hands when she's shooting.

Yeah, phase 3 is dependent on whether they decide to go gently caress-you and shatter your shield with one shot, which usually doesn't happen as long as you're constantly on the move.

Phase 4 is the easiest one, just clean up the arena while they're respawning after phase 3 then when you hear the respawn noise, pay attention to where the ufo is flying by the shadow on the ground. You should have a chance to throw a bomb up before they start launching missiles, and if you're quick you'll be able to recharge your ink fast enough to throw another bomb before the missiles start hitting, and if both bombs hit their mark then that's the end of phase 4. If not, just retreat and try to mitigate their ink coverage as much as possible, then pay attention to which side they're moving the UFO to and toss up a bomb as soon as they get there. That should give you ample time to recharge and finish them off with another bomb in the short window between when they stop inking and start launching missiles again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are Octarians and Octolings even the same species?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

ConanThe3rd posted:

I’m kinda surprised that people are questioning how nobody has the INT stat to realise Marina is an Octarian given that in the expansion our given yardstick for what an adult Inkling is, who is also a war vet and a tactician, willingly went into something that was blatantly a death trap AND ALSO A BLENDER on the promise that it would get him to “The Promised Land”.

It’s also possible that inklings are just aren’t that bright. Is there any evidence of an inkling that isn’t as dumb as a post? Maybe an allusion to irl octopus intelligence?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I haven't skipped a single Octo Expansion level, fite me. I prefer the roller for the Octoling gauntlets, I know how to fight dirty.

And I know Ebb and Flow was made to be a final boss fight song. Also probably my favourite Splatune.

Also lol that the world was saved with the world's biggest :woomy:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Well Octarians seem to be really good at making super tech, but always get their tentacles handed to them when they actually try to throw down with the Inklings, so they've gotta be doing something right.

...poo poo, it's the Splatfests isn't it? Inklings are raised on war games like gooey Technicolor Spartans or someshit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flytrap posted:

Well Octarians seem to be really good at making super tech, but always get their tentacles handed to them when they actually try to throw down with the Inklings, so they've gotta be doing something right.

...poo poo, it's the Splatfests isn't it? Inklings are raised on war games like gooey Technicolor Spartans or someshit.

Also the Octolings are really bad at securing their power supplies.

For that matter, it's strongly implied that Tartar has literally blended at least 1,007 Octarians and/or other sentient species to create its primordial ooze, which Agent 8 barely survived...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serenade posted:

It’s also possible that inklings are just aren’t that bright. Is there any evidence of an inkling that isn’t as dumb as a post? Maybe an allusion to irl octopus intelligence?

I think the spoiler moment counts as a moment of spectacular stupidity.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 18, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Capt. Cuttlefish as a racist grandpa who really tries is pretty amusing. Sadly enough he's probably doing pretty well given he actively fought in what amounts to a race war that the Turf Wars are based on the folk memories of. And apparently used to be friends with DJ Octavio. Maybe now it can be just like the good old days.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I dunno, kidnapping a granddaughter and endangering the only sources of electricity twice is pretty good grounds to end a friendship.

From my read, though, it sounds like Cuttlefish is just really bad at over correcting.

Like he shouldn’t but trying and professing too much is preferable to being a bigot.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 18, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Serenade posted:

What if they're interwoven though. There's a whole series of mem cakes about salmons. I have not unlocked them all. I can't tell if the message of the octo expansion is 'war is bad'.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The mem cakes about Octarians are pretty loving grim.

Seems to be a pretty clear theme that the Octolings aren't at all happy, and all it takes is an Inkling song to get them to start sneaking to the surface seeking a better life.

Also, given the variety of species above and below ground, it isn't quite as surprising that no one notices Octolings except as Inklings with exotic hairstyles given otherwise they're pretty similar.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Octo Expansion was good, tho I would say that somewhat overpriced for the actual content you get. Girl Power Station was horseshit as were the rail shooting parts. Final boss was a bit weak since the cutscene featured rails really heavily but you actually had to ignore them at first and were better off ignoring them entirely. It was also really, really easy. I was a bit surprised that I recognized the reference tho. Inner Agent 3 was also horseshit but it's completely optional so it's ok.

The images from chat logs. Technically spoilers but they aren't actually story related. Linked them anyway if someone wants to see them ingame first.
Log 3
Log 4_1
Log 4_2
Log 5
Log 6
Log 10

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Had a salmon run match with THREE grizzco sloshers and some kind of roller

...against grillers

That was really something

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

I’m kinda surprised that people are questioning how nobody has the INT stat to realise Marina is an Octarian

Hasn't this been addressed already? Something to the effect of 'Inklings don't really give a poo poo what you are as long as you're fresh enough'

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Serenade posted:

Inklings are canonically super dumb. The whole reason Judd is the scorekeeper in matches is because inklings have a hard time keeping the scores straight.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Just bought this during the sale, and it's still a pretty dope game. Is it just me or is selecting the jump spot really unintuitive now? Okay have just been really high but it doesn't seem familiar stall from splatoon1

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

Just bought this during the sale, and it's still a pretty dope game. Is it just me or is selecting the jump spot really unintuitive now? Okay have just been really high but it doesn't seem familiar stall from splatoon1

If you're trying to jump to a teammate, open the map, hold down a direction on the dpad and then mash A. It's arguably quicker since you don't have to look down at the tablet anymore.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kaethela posted:

If you're trying to jump to a teammate, open the map, hold down a direction on the dpad and then mash A. It's arguably quicker since you don't have to look down at the tablet anymore.

Yeah I have to admit i hated the idea at first, and not having the map always up on the gamepad, but it's totally fine, maybe even better.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Serenade posted:

I think it's actually explicitly stated somewhere that inklings are, in fact, not that bright.

Kaethela posted:

You can also just select who you want to jump to by moving your cursor with gyro tilting.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For that matter, it's strongly implied that

Iso Padre was a test subject tho. Since the goal was to create perfect lifeform, Tartar probably only slurried those good enough to collect all the thangs. There's still a lot of the green goo.

Serenade posted:

Official explanation when Spla2on was released about why nobody cared about Marina being Octoling was that Inklings are just that lazy and unobservant.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I have to admit i hated the idea at first, and not having the map always up on the gamepad, but it's totally fine, maybe even better.

It's still a little annoying bc I have to cycle the map on and off rapidly a lot when I play and it can be somewhat disorienting but I live with it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I won't lie, I'm not looking forward to paying for this:

https://twitter.com/ElmanSwitch/status/1008727825497538561

https://twitter.com/ElmanSwitch/status/1008727589467242496

I had no issues for the first few weeks but it's been happening more often the higher I rank. I'm guessing that as the player pool gets smaller you get matched with people with higher ping.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not saying I’m addicted to this game again but my hands hurt a lot atm

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

throw to first drat IT posted:

Octo Expansion was good, tho I would say that somewhat overpriced for the actual content you get.

It took me quite a few hours to beat all the levels. I enjoyed the story and much appreciated the aesthetics of it overall, and now I can play as an octoling. I feel I got my money's worth and then some but I can see how you might feel that way just comparing it to say big indie releases at the same price.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have about 5 levels left to beat but two of the them are the orb ones so I might just have to accept I’ll never 100% this

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

Elman posted:

I won't lie, I'm not looking forward to paying for this:

I don’t know if that first clip is necessarily lag. It looks like someone behind you shot you a couple of times and the splashdown’s nonlethal hitbox, which extends beyond the visible ring, finished you off. No excuse for the second clip though

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
https://twitter.com/knitcapchan/status/1008136999855800321

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there a way to cancel a matchmaking queue? I just got the game thanks to the sale and tried to jump into an mp game. After about 10 minutes waiting I tried to cancel out and found I couldn’t and had to close the game and relaunch.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
If you return to the switch home screen wait maybe 10s and return it'll kick you out. You'll eventually get a warning to not do this so don't do too often. I do it maybe once a week and nothing has happened to me yet.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Oxenfree’s loading screens are surprisingly long.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Honestly, I didn't think the blender was suspicious at all. I figured that if you could enter Octarian domains through kettles, then entering the Promised Land through a blender made just as much sense. Consider me one of the other 10,007 test subjects, I guess.

Owers fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 19, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Finally beat all the Octo Expansion levels with all the weapons. All this does is just gets you a new backdrop for the map and a logo.

This really should have been what the campaign in 2 should have been like. Hero mode in 1 was alright, though nothing special. But it was neat for what it was. 2's Hero mode seemed like it was really rushed and just felt like wasted potential. Octo Expansion's level design really fits Splatoon a lot more. The endgame was fantastic as well.

I wonder if we'll be seeing another expansion. Of course if we do, where would the entrance for it even be placed? Before Octo Expansion came out, there was that alleyway that suspiciously had nothing in it, but now there's not really any place like that in Inkopolis Square.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are Octarians and Octolings even the same species?

Yes. Octolings are just what the humanoid ones are called, like with how Octoroopers are just the tentacles riding a vehicle.

Serenade posted:

Inklings are in fact, extremely stupid. From the Splatoon 1 artbook:

https://twitter.com/TechieCreek/status/1007983651462828039

Though an interview early in Splatoon 2's lifespan did say if they were to find out that Marina and others were actually Octarians, they wouldn't care as long as they were being fresh.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Considering how many octolings I see in every match I gotta assume the DLC sold like crazy so yeah I imagine we'll get one more expansion before the inevitable splatoon 3. There's some room in the square near the amiibo box I think

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Inklings are in fact, extremely stupid. From the Splatoon 1 artbook:

https://twitter.com/TechieCreek/status/1007983651462828039

Though an interview early in Splatoon 2's lifespan did say if they were to find out that Marina and others were actually Octarians, they wouldn't care as long as they were being fresh.

Kind of changes the meaning behind "Suppose They Gave a War and Nobody Came"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't want any more paid dlc once I have to pay 20 bucks a year for peer to peer online

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All the writing for Splatoon is really good

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

In Training posted:

I don't want any more paid dlc once I have to pay 20 bucks a year for peer to peer online

you don't gotta buy it

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/eikoandmog/status/1008862302836162560?s=19

So close to just running it in. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

I wonder if we'll be seeing another expansion. Of course if we do, where would the entrance for it even be placed? Before Octo Expansion came out, there was that alleyway that suspiciously had nothing in it, but now there's not really any place like that in Inkopolis Square.

There's a construction site right behiend the square with an unfinished building. I always assumed that space was incase another shop or location ever needed to be added.
edit: there's also the building next to the food truck , where you cant reach the door. I think the devs gave themselves options.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 19, 2018