Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lord Bob posted:

And for Steam Links, where you're less likely to have a keyboard and mouse plugged in.

And maybe for that new android tablet steam link mode? Haven't tried that yet, does it use big picture mode?
it does, it's not a bad touch interface either. they also use it as the interface for steamvr which is less goos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got to the city in Hollow Knight and I'm so lost and have no map help. Upgraded my nail finally which is cool.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I got to the city in Hollow Knight and I'm so lost and have no map help. Upgraded my nail finally which is cool.

Go back up you went right past Cornifer

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Go back up you went right past Cornifer

That depends on where he entered the city.

Also getting lost is very much intended in Hollow Knight

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did some sick wall jumps from the mushroom place.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

oh my apparently summer games starts this weekend. it sneaks up on me every year

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Everything is too far away from everything in Hollow Knight the world kind of bugs me

I think I'm near the end so I'm just running around looking for anything I've missed and I wish there were more fast travel places

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

oh my apparently summer games starts this weekend. it sneaks up on me every year

What summer games? You mean Olympics?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The World Cup?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

summer games done quick, aka the twice yearly gamer super bowl is sunday

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’d watch more games done quick if I didn’t have to look at the players / audience

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they use a pretty static layout usually so feel free to put a post it note on your screen

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Okay, okay, but what about this:

Why would you watch games when you can play games

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
i'd watch GDQ if they'd stop saying HOYPE every 13 seconds

e: also at this point it's not that exciting to watch the same 9 big games every year

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Okay, okay, but what about this:

Why would you watch games when you can play games

I can do both at the same time

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I can do both at the same time

Bloody millenials. Half the attention means half the immersion.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah but, well what about THIS:

Video game addiction listed as a mental health problem by WHO

quote:

For video game addicts, it might soon be “game over.”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every participant should be randomly assigned some obscure game a month in advance and have to prepare their own speedrun of Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout or w/e.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
gently caress!! I got ink all over my new work shoes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Joke's on them I'll just find something else to get addicted to when they ban all video games, which they are definitely going to do.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Now that the Overwatch League season is over I am going to start watching fewer video games and watching more films and television again.

The amount of time I spend playing games will remain unchanged.

I look forward to playing Mario Tennis whenever I am not watching non-Mario tennis in a few weeks

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

its just nice background noise nonsense and sometimes there's neat things or huge drama really. you know what you're getting mainly

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Every participant should be randomly assigned some obscure game a month in advance and have to prepare their own speedrun of Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout or w/e.

I think that is already a thing. I don't think it was a marathon, but it was definitely a thing.

I think one of the gdqs had a blind game tourney thing iirc, but I can't remember which one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

They're right.

suuma posted:

e: also at this point it's not that exciting to watch the same 9 big games every year

Yeah this is a big problem with the formula in general, especially when talking about real person runs and not tool-assisted runs, the well of interesting stuff is just not that deep and has been sucked dry over the years. Seeing specific runs can be pretty impressive at first, but then it's just "Oh wow, a new trick that saves a whole 3 frames once in the entire half-hour run", and sometimes that creates regression where an interesting and comedic runner who keeps you engaged gets replaced with a faster run by a boring tryhard.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The issue with GDQ is that more than half the run time is Mike "Fraud" Uyama taking 25 minutes moving two cables between hardware.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have a speed runner for you and his name is Usain Bolt

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The races can be kind of interesting when they can take different routes, but other than that speed runs are boring and the commentary frequently equally so.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I might watch a speedrun clip on YouTube for cool moves but as a spectator sport-type thing it's really dry, like watching golf

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Seeing live poo poo should be cool but people never try risky stuff bc the want to show off the end of the game. Everyone should be going for WR stuff and killing it if they fail.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I like speedruns that are either absurd displays of unnatural skill (like that guy who aced Ikaruga playing as both ships at once) or when someone finishes a game in like 1 minute like dropping mario into the source code in SMW and hitting the 'end game's block

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

GDQ is very cool and I'm going to watch a lot of it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Free Bonesaw

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the only gdq i've ever seen was that really awkward run, you know the really awkward one?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I started up Oblivion again and on the first quest I tried I found out I can't complete it cause the Countess of Leyawiin wandered off into the woods and died :sigh:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Free Bonesaw

he's been freed. bonesaw roams free.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

The races can be kind of interesting when they can take different routes, but other than that speed runs are boring and the commentary frequently equally so.
This is basically where I'm at with speedrunning these days.

My favorite one in recent years was probably that super goofy 10 vs. 1 Super Mario 64 race that was done with emulators.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
How is video game addiction a thing they thought is perfectly rational category to include alongside things like gambling and drugs :psyduck: You can have a general behavioral addiction to playing games but in that case you probably have a whole sleuth of other problems because it's not limited only to that. Every case where playing video games caused anything more serious than lack of sleep and worsened social skills can be attributed to some other problem that the person was experiencing as opposed to gambling and drugs which can not only ruin your life and that of your family but also kill you really easily.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gamer just walk away from the screen like gamer close your eyes haha

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Of course video games can ruin your life. When I ran out of ink ribbons in Resident Evil everyone mocked me for lack of skill. Hearing about this, companies now refuse to hire me due to my reputation for “poor resource management”... Even now, kids on the street point and laugh at me.

Its all the fault of video games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

he's been freed. bonesaw roams free.

Free Bubbles

• Locked thread