Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Japan did it waaaaaaayyyyy before Futurama.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I want a YuruCamp cookbook

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirPhoebos posted:

I want a YuruCamp cookbook

all the cookbooks in the show are real

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zettace posted:

Japan did it waaaaaaayyyyy before Futurama.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D

Dogs have a history of heartbreaking loyalty and there's a reason they're famous as "man's best friend". When I first saw that episode of Futurama Wikipedia cited Fry's dog as a homage to an English dog called "Greyfriar's Bobby" from the 1800's rather than "Hachikō", but it's been changed at some point in the years since then to be to him so the producers might have mentioned him by name or something at some point. That said, if you want to challenge your stoicness take a read of the Wikipedia list of dogs who remained faithful after their master's death. I couldn't make it without tearing up at the very least.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
show is very good. the two mcs are very good

also, is there a reason why rin's given name is written in katakana

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Year 201X.
Mount Fuji was scorched by nuclear war.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Man what a great series this was. The "maybe it's a chill UFO" line from the last episode, & Rin imagining all the dog souvenir miniatures turning to stare at her in ep 7(?) made me lol

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It has been a long loving time since I have bought non-digitally-distributed or streaming subscription anime. Anyone know how to go about getting DVDs/Blu-Rays in this day and age?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wonder if they'll ship it overseas.

Alas, I still can't figure out if the DVDs have english subs, or I'd be entered just as a consequence of getting them.

amiami.com (backordered) or amazon.co.jp. Japanese Amazon is picky about what they'll ship overseas, but BD and CDs are fine. It's not linked to amazon.com so you'll have to make a new account. I would also suggest switching the interface to English up at the top.

As far as I can tell it does not have English subtitles, which isn't unexpected. Out of the dozen or so series I've directly imported, only the Nanoha movies had English subtitles.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Out of the dozen or so series I've directly imported, only the Nanoha movies had English subtitles.

I know the Love Live! TV and movie BDs, and the Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~ BD box sets, had English subtitles. So a few titles do have them.

I've found cdjapan.co.jp to be a good source to verify if English subtitles are on any particular BD/DVD (if not necessarily the cheapest place to actually buy them).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TasogareNoKagi posted:

amiami.com (backordered) or amazon.co.jp. Japanese Amazon is picky about what they'll ship overseas, but BD and CDs are fine. It's not linked to amazon.com so you'll have to make a new account. I would also suggest switching the interface to English up at the top.

As far as I can tell it does not have English subtitles, which isn't unexpected. Out of the dozen or so series I've directly imported, only the Nanoha movies had English subtitles.

Thanks for this reply, I see I eventually came to the correct conclusion anyways, which is to cross my fingers and hope a distributor picks it up for stateside distribution.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

It’s obvious, but if it’s picked up I hope it gets a dub just so David Hayter or Kiefer Sutherland are hired to do Rin’s grandpa & the narrator

Snake voice: “Secret Society Blanket...”

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

speaking of blu rays...

https://twitter.com/crunchyroll/status/999380875929239554

Arctos
May 10, 2008

el dorito posted:

speaking of blu rays...

For some reason I read that as "Spelunking for blu rays" and now I just want a chill anime about exploring caves :allears:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Isn't that a thing in the "let's send cute girls to Antarctica" anime?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

If there were ever any anime that is used to promote a fashion line, it should be this one. Much better than FF13.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
So... how does it taste?

https://twitter.com/muramitsu__/status/979949491582246912

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
From the first-week sales of the second BD, it looks like this is still the best-selling show from last season that isn't part of the Love Live idolbux juggernaut, outselling the number 3 show (A Place Further Than the Universe) by 50%.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That makes me simultaneously happy and sad. I'd like them both to sell well.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

tsob posted:

That makes me simultaneously happy and sad. I'd like them both to sell well.

A Place Further Than the Universe is selling well, especially for an anime-original show that doesn't have a manga or LN behind to help further boost interest.

It's just that Yuru Camp is selling insanely well.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I checked the charts and A Place Further Than the Universe is selling pretty drat well.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh right, I hadn't checked. The context just made it sound like it was only selling okay or something. Double happiness it is then. Yay :)

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
They're making a new episode for the third blu-ray release. It's a beach episode because of course it is.

https://twitter.com/yurucamp_anime/status/1008273043628675073

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Even Yurucamp must follow the anime Law of Beach Episodes.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Beach camping beach camping!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Suddenly summer, in the middle of all the winter episodes??

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It doesn't even look like the same show without giant parkas and scarves!!

Maybe I'm just not in tune with what's turning on japanese creeps any more, but yurucamp seemed pretty light on fanservice, right? exploit my precious camp daughters and heads will roll :mad:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

On one hand I'm not sure I like the idea but on the other this is a really good face.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

maybe it’s one of those fake out things like the flying tent and they’re actually sporting new cold weather threads for winter beach camping and cooking a new delicious meal and a guest appearance by metal gear grandpa and a good dog (but I repeat myself).

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

It's still Winter, but they're on vacation south of the equator

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

It doesn't even look like the same show without giant parkas and scarves!!

Maybe I'm just not in tune with what's turning on japanese creeps any more, but yurucamp seemed pretty light on fanservice, right? exploit my precious camp daughters and heads will roll :mad:

It’s fairly light on fanservice, yes. This beach scene looks fairly tame as well.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

gmq posted:

On one hand I'm not sure I like the idea but on the other this is a really good face.

This image is hilarious but the whole idea of a beach episode seems a little out of Yurucamp's comfort zone.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Thought: beach episode but they're still wearing jackets and scarves and stuff.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

After multiple hot springs episodes it's only natural that they have a beach episode to even things out.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Seems kind of weird to point out fanservice Beach episode when we've seen Dog Mountain's dog mountains plenty of times in the numerous hot springs episodes. Also beach camping is p comfy

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Beach camping gets sand everywhere it sucks. Camping near the beach on the other hand, is good

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

This tweet says reruns are ending in Japan tonight. Time for season 2!

https://twitter.com/hiduki_8kd/status/1009774210376351745?s=21

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/crunchyroll/status/1009987087976861704?s=21

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I want them to bring back the folding grill.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's the thing above the table and to the right of the hammer? Just looks like some kind of plaque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

tsob posted:

What's the thing above the table and to the right of the hammer? Just looks like some kind of plaque.

That's a closeup of the hammer's wooden handle. It's emblazoned with the image from the anime.