Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pakled posted:

The imgur upload feature is really useful since imgur's made mobile browsing and uploading without using their stupid loving app more and more inconvenient over the years.

I hope it's not too useful because I have no idea how easy it is to spend all our app credits!

But yeah if you guys notice any weird stuff with the update let us know - I got suspicions that the newest webview is keeping the screen on again...

Oh and the emotes search does keywords now btw - it depends on the title text people have added, but now you can do stuff like search for "dog" and get stuff that looks like dogs. And the history is just the last 30 or whatever that you used

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

baka kaba posted:

I hope it's not too useful because I have no idea how easy it is to spend all our app credits!

I think I ran into that limit just once over the past year or so.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Doesn't the iOS app keep hitting it like every month though?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've discovered that swiping left no longer returns me to the last thread, it just moves the screen left a few pixels and swiping right doesn't fix it. It does reset if I do other functions, it's just a minor annoyance.

I'm on an OG Google Pixel XL

EDIT:
Nevermind, I didn't notice there was an update and that seems to have fixed the issure :ms:

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 18, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Please fix it so cookies are properly sent in embedded iframes once more. This broke at some point earlier this year so they show me as not logged in. I realize you have no examples of embedded iframes to look at, and to that I say, sorry???

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

What does embedded iframe refer to in particular? Youtube videos? Tweets?

Sereri fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 18, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Uh

Is that something to do with being a mod?

Google keeps changing the security model for the webview, like what you're allowed to access from where, so it could be related to that - I don't think the cookie system's been changed (not in a long time anyway)

Might be hard to fix if we can't test it, maybe someone knows what to do though!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sereri posted:

What does embedded iframe refer to in peticular? Youtube videos? Tweets?
Reports :eng99:

That's why it's hard to show you. Mod only features should be lowest priority tbh but they used to work. Fair enough if google has mucked with webview permissions, not much you can do there. I could provide a sample of the iframe html in question but I know you can't really test it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah I see. Yeah I don't see why this shouldn't work, will investigate.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Would thread-specific modship allow devs to see the issue? It would also be nice for deleting posts etc for testing purposes.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I can actually recreate this by just adding an iframe of this thread into the webview. It works on 8.1 with chrome webview v61 and doesn't on P with v66. I'm guessing something broke in between. Gonna flip some switches and see what falls out.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm on whatever version is on the play store and it updated yesterday and everything is prettier and also pages load five times as fast somehow, so thanks for that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Truly love app, still requesting GIFV/MP4 link sharing fixed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I always forget i'm on beta and I spend a bit of time in a haze of confusion when new versions get pushed to non-beta and people are talking about it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I always forget i'm on beta and I spend a bit of time in a haze of confusion when new versions get pushed to non-beta and people are talking about it.

Look at you, Mr. Fancy Showoff :rolleye:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, I'm pretty elite.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty elite.

Same. :hf:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Say, does using battery saver or restricting background data or anything cause battery use to go up due to some quirk of Android or the program? I'm on a new Nokia 6.1 on TMobile and the app has used 16 percent of my battery since I last charged fully (about 18 hours ago), more than any other app (next most is Firefox at 13 percent). One hour and 15 minutes open, and I had imported settings from my original generation Moto g.

Edit: also want to make known I've only had it on battery saver for about half that time, battery optimization is on for the app, and I'm up to date with Android 8.1 and the latest version (unless the beta address the issue)

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 21, 2018

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Battery optimization should do nothing for the app since it doesn't run in the background and (almost) only makes user-triggered requests. Do you by any chance have gif auto-play enabled?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
No, don't even have images on. Do have Twitter embeds on, but emoticons, and others stuff are off. Mainly just text

It's at like 25 percent now, good grief

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

thechosenone posted:

No, don't even have images on. Do have Twitter embeds on, but emoticons, and others stuff are off. Mainly just text

It's at like 25 percent now, good grief

Newer versions of Android now include the app you have open's battery drain when your screen is on. Basically, it didn't used to factor in your screen drain when you had an app open. Now it does. So if you've been using the app for ~2 hours, it is going to account the battery that your screen is using to the Awful app. Are you sure that's not what's going on?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I should have known something was missing from my battery usage! Guess the screens are becoming more and more of the primary energy drain. Not really anything I can do besides lower the brightness though right? This phone has a LED screen instead of oled, which I've been told is able to save by just not emitting light from black areas.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 21, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nothing you can do except brightness. I can't tell if you're talking about LED or OLED, but it is OLED that saves battery on black pixels. LED is going to be less energy efficient.

A new phone is also likely still figuring out how much battery it has, so the estimates will be inaccurate. I would give it a few days before stressing about it.

That being said, if it's a new phone and you're already super concerned about battery use you might want to consider another device with better battery life.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
OLED has efficiency gains from being able to be partially off is what I meant. Is there a way to separate screen use from app usage itself? This should still be better than my original Moto g1, since the battery is bigger and newer, and the hardware and os should be more efficient.

Edit: Nevermind on the separation, just noticed it.

But yeah, probably won't have a good idea of how the battery does until a couple days of using it. Though I'm still a little burned that it doesn't have 4glte

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 21, 2018

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Nothing you can do except brightness. I can't tell if you're talking about LED or OLED, but it is OLED that saves battery on black pixels. LED is going to be less energy efficient.

And for anyone trying to get neurotic about the most efficient display power draw from an IPS-LCD, my understanding is minimal backlight brightness with a white interface theme is the way to go.

It takes a wee bit of power to blacken or color LCD pixels in most panel types.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's probably not gonna make a lot of difference. Awful's pretty efficient (with gifs off, anyway) so your battery burn is probably just having the screen on at all, and heavy stuff like videos and the like

Also kicking in the radios to do network requests takes a fair bit of power - that's why the battery efficiency stuff they introduced requires background apps to schedule jobs for the next time there's network activity, so everything can get done as a batch

Awful is basically a web browser, so you get the same kind of activity - every time you open a new page or refresh, it has to turn the radio up and send a bunch of traffic until the page has loaded. And if that takes a while (heavy pages, or a slow connection) then it's gonna be on longer and use more power. So if you've gone from LTE to something slower, you might be getting more battery drain just from that. But I dunno, I'm not a radio science guy

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's also because the Moto g has an awesome battery and I don't know if the Nokia has one as good

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

thechosenone posted:

Though I'm still a little burned that it doesn't have 4glte

Wait, what?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The phone, not the app

Also I'm glad the forums are/were broken and not the app.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Not sure if it's related to the forums breaking but my tweet embeds are broken now. It just shows the text and no images.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hmm, works for me. Do you have a link to an example? What version of the app are you using?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah apparently that's a thing currently happening on the Awful.app.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

seiferguy posted:

Not sure if it's related to the forums breaking but my tweet embeds are broken now. It just shows the text and no images.

I'm just seeing the links, not even the text. For example in this page. I double checked the settings to make sure the option was set to embed twits.

Screenshot:

vortmax fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 23, 2018

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thanks for the hint. Apparently Instagram embedding is broken and throws an error which breaks all other embeds including twitter. Disable Instagram embedding in the settings until this is patched.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Okay so I haven't changed anything but this twit showed up just fine. :shrug:

Edit: I turned wifi back on and it still works in that post but not in the spaceflight thread.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 24, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I got a 1st gen Pixel XL this week and it's incredibly hard to activate the quote/edit/report menu button on individual posts. Can you expand the hitbox to the left a few pixels? I've been having to tap 10-15x to get it.

Screenshots:

Pixel XL, 3.5.2-beta on Android 8.1

Samsung J230A, 3.5.2-beta on Android 7.1.1

It's like the dots are allllmost off the edge of the screen, I can't even see them without changing themes and then they're still almost impossible to tap.

Could it be something with my font settings?

Iron Crowned is this happening to you too?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 24, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

I got a 1st gen Pixel XL this week and it's incredibly hard to activate the quote/edit/report menu button on individual posts. Can you expand the hitbox to the left a few pixels? I've been having to tap 10-15x to get it.

Screenshots:

Pixel XL, 3.5.2-beta on Android 8.1

Samsung J230A, 3.5.2-beta on Android 7.1.1

It's like the dots are allllmost off the edge of the screen, I can't even see them without changing themes and then they're still almost impossible to tap.

Iron Crowned is this happening to you too?

Your screenshots make it look like the Pixel XL should be much easier to hit the menu button. On the Samsung screenshot, the menu button is partially cut off...

Anyway, I have a Pixel XL and have never had a problem hitting the quote button. Not saying there's not a problem...maybe I have incredibly agile fingers. But maybe you have something else weird going on.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

shame on an IGA posted:

Yes.

Anyway I'm working on reworking the thread layout a bit and this should already be fixed by it, I'll check later.

It's gonna break that custom css theme pretty hard, sorry ArcMage.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can the Close/Open thread menu option be moved somewhere that isn't the top so I don't keep accidentally closing my thread when lazily trying to hit the reply button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

site posted:

Can the Close/Open thread menu option be moved somewhere that isn't the top so I don't keep accidentally closing my thread when lazily trying to hit the reply button

Turn on the Floating Action Button and you won't be reaching for the top?