Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol a true rewrite into a worse version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
no that guy is a soon to be fired moron. only the ui is affected. none of the underlying c++ nightmare hellscape was changed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
unfortunately a javascript developer isn't going to know the difference

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
he’s a maintainer on webpack and I doubt he’ll be fired

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

you're right. far more likely to be "counseled out."

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wheany posted:

Even smash bros fans aren't excited about any smash bros past the game cube one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fighting games are pretty boring

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

https://twitter.com/ArloStuff/status/1006762211765837831

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this doesnt happen too often to me, so ill admit that there's a post allegedly about gaming that at least halfway consist of words completely alien to me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

id like to imagine wavedogging as someone waving a hotdog they hold in pinch between the thumb and the ring finger

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this doesnt happen too often to me, so ill admit that there's a post allegedly about gaming that at least halfway consist of words completely alien to me

they're made up to sound like smash terms lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

they're made up to sound like smash terms lol

lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i must say though that its very effective

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

It took me way too long to realize this was a joke and I've been playing smash bros for 19 years lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
was hoping for quicker drinkouts

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wavedogging is when a chad wave is taller than an incel wave

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Apparently they didn’t have enough characters to type thee iconic phrase “we’re not giving up on C#, C++, etc” which is what they say about everything

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

look at you thinking that a low-level pm on the *edge* team -- who has some obvious mental deficiencies -- has any knowledge of microsoft's developer tools plans

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

newest windows update renamed my drives. they're now local drive (letter) instead of their unique and terrible names I gave them

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

our summer movie list. gotta get this done so i can fill out my connect.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

our summer movie list. gotta get this done so i can fill out my connect.

1 animated film from the 20th century and it's not totoro (although kiki is still a good choice)

also wtf at "pay it forward", even before we knew mr. melty face was a sex pest

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
wonder if satya is gonna make a statement today

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

graph posted:

wonder if satya is gonna make a statement today
you mean because of the ice thing, or because it's the anniversary of the blog post where some middle manager explained why they didn't need qa anymore https://web.archive.org/web/20140723175546/http://blog.teleri.net:80/combined-engineering-microsoft/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
here's a statement from microsoft, about how they're working with ice, but all that child concentration camp stuff probably doesn't have anything to do with azure: https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2018/06/18/microsoft-statement-on-separating-families-at-the-southern-border/

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:jerkbag: yeah ok, they don’t care. contracts trump morals

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

in this age where windows is free, why can people not be?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

trump morals

:sad:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

OldAlias posted:

:jerkbag: yeah ok, they don’t care. contracts trump morals

my man microsoft does business with governments that do far worse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ahahaha. microsoft really is the new ibm

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol microsoft employees are mad when they find out that trump's version of the SS uses Azure.

https://gizmodo.com/microsoft-employees-up-in-arms-over-cloud-contract-with-1826927803

quote:

Tensions are high within Microsoft, as new scrutiny is given to a partnership between the company’s Azure Government cloud computing arm and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), according to several Microsoft employees who spoke to Gizmodo on the condition of anonymity. Two were considering leaving the company based on the response.

The partnership was first made public in late January, where Microsoft announced it was “proud to support” the agency’s efforts—but given the size of the company, many employees were not even aware any such agreement was in place until recently. A likely catalyst is the recent revelations that ICE separates asylum-seeking families and confines children in cages.

In response, the announcement post was “briefly deleted [...] after seeing commentary in social media,” according to a Microsoft spokesperson who refused to divulge the specific nature of the Azure/ICE partner arrangement. “This was a mistake and as soon as it was noticed the blog was reverted to previous language.”

Internally, as news of the contract spread, employees expressed their dissent. “This is the sort of thing that would make me question staying,” one employee told Gizmodo. Another echoed, “I’ll seriously consider leaving if I’m not happy with how they handle this.”

Microsoft condemned family separation by ICE in a statement to Gizmodo but declined to specify if specific tools within Azure Government, like Face API—facial recognition software—were in use by the agency. The company also did not comment on whether it had assisted in building artificial intelligence tools for ICE, something the agency has been seeking (and courting Microsoft over) for some time.

“My sense is that the government cloud group is very much a sales/consulting group, so it’s definitely plausible they could have been working on something specific, but if so then it would likely have been helping them customize existing public product tech,” a current Microsoft employee told Gizmodo.

The possibility of Microsoft providing cheap, efficient facial recognition software to ICE comes less than a month after the ACLU discovered Amazon had given law enforcement agencies access to its similar in-house tool, Rekognition, and several months after Gizmodo first revealed Google had agreed to assist in Project Maven, a program to help develop artificial intelligence for drone footage analysis for the Pentagon.

Microsoft told Gizmodo it was “dismayed” by ICE’s actions and that it “urge[d] the administration to change its policy and Congress to pass legislation ensuring children are no longer separated from their families.” Absent from its statement was whether it would continue to provide its cloud services to ICE.

As more employees become aware of the agreement—and the recent activities of ICE—it remains to be seen what response these internal frustrations will draw from Microsoft’s leadership.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

akadajet posted:

lol microsoft employees are mad

unlikely. almost all microsoft employees are dead inside.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

f

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

didnt ibm at least have the gall to pretend it was their field office overseas?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

here's a statement from microsoft, about how they're working with ice, but all that child concentration camp stuff probably doesn't have anything to do with azure: https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2018/06/18/microsoft-statement-on-separating-families-at-the-southern-border/

the statement links to fuckin' linked in :lol:

on a less depressing note

still my favorite tech site, gets me every time.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

you know ms the doj's staff are eroded to poo poo thanks to the orange demon

you could probably not just back out of that contract but profit off of it

you are their definition of job creators after all

e: or you can do the whole serve without serving thing point is you got options

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Fiedler posted:

unlikely. almost all microsoft employees are dead inside.

Can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Drastic Actions posted:

the statement links to fuckin' linked in :lol:
i saw that and i briefly glanced at the linkedin post but it didn't really seem to be related?