Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There's a couple knobs in town with Ninja 300s that have the mufflers removed. Just a midpipe ending below the engine. It sounds so pathetic and weak but at the same time so loud you can hear it from at least a half mile off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's just now occurred to me that if the Loud Pipes Save Lives bunch really believed their bullshit (as opposed to it just being a transparently lame justification for an aesthetic choice), then they'd all fit their bikes with denali soundbombs and wire the horn switch permanently closed.
Don't give them ideas.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

It's just now occurred to me that if the Loud Pipes Save Lives bunch really believed their bullshit (as opposed to it just being a transparently lame justification for an aesthetic choice), then they'd all fit their bikes with denali soundbombs and wire the horn switch permanently closed.

Safety first!

Collateral Damage posted:

Don't give them ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBeskrtbW8

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This should be standard on vehicles instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv8wqnk_TsA

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Loud pipes get tracks shut down by pissed off neighbors.

So loving true. I actually wish MSRH would start doing this because corner working now requires full hearing protection for the dude with his super race-prepped RC-8 that murders everyone's ear drums in a mile radius.

Also,

Real Talk: riding in Houston blows. The heat is awful and there's no decent roads. I need to book a track day, possibly in the fall as the heat tapers off. I've found that I'd much rather take the mountain bike out super early on Saturday for an hour and a half than ride 3.5 hours outside of Houston with the motohouston guys.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was supposed to get lasik today and have the sweet freedom of not having to worry about contact issues with my visor open, but I had to push it back because of an unexpected boat trip next week (can't swim the week after). I don't have problems with them that often, but it seems like especially at night I'll get a dry eye sometimes and it makes one eye all blurry, which isn't really ideal when you're on a bike.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

XYLOPAGUS posted:

So loving true. I actually wish MSRH would start doing this because corner working now requires full hearing protection for the dude with his super race-prepped RC-8 that murders everyone's ear drums in a mile radius.

There is a stereotypical gym bro dude around here that rides in chucks, basketball shorts, and T-shirt or tank top on a blacked out RC-8 with what sounds like a straight pipe. It is loud as gently caress. No one thinks you're cool, breh.

MomJeans420 posted:

I was supposed to get lasik today and have the sweet freedom of not having to worry about contact issues with my visor open, but I had to push it back because of an unexpected boat trip next week (can't swim the week after). I don't have problems with them that often, but it seems like especially at night I'll get a dry eye sometimes and it makes one eye all blurry, which isn't really ideal when you're on a bike.

Just a heads up, after you get lasik you'll have chronic dry eye for a couple of weeks. Some people deal with it a lot longer than that. It's still hands down the best money I've ever spent, but it may bother you while you ride if you already have problems with dry eye.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 1, 2018

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I had lasik almost a year ago and have some lingering dry eye. No regrets on the surgery but if you have issues with dry eye now they may get worse.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Good to know, the dr warned me about that. The issue with dry eyes and contacts is it feels like the contact pops away a bit and I can't see poo poo, hopefully dry eyes on the bike will just be uncomfortable. I'm just a simple man who wants to go freeway speeds with the visor open when it's nice out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Good to know, the dr warned me about that. The issue with dry eyes and contacts is it feels like the contact pops away a bit and I can't see poo poo, hopefully dry eyes on the bike will just be uncomfortable. I'm just a simple man who wants to go freeway speeds with the visor open when it's nice out.

Wear sunglasses?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm just a simple man who wants to go freeway speeds with the visor open when it's nice out.

Fingers crossed a stone flicked up by another vehicle doesn’t waste half of the investment you made in LASIK then, I guess. 😕

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

newsflash, contacts or not your eyes are gonna get dry riding at freeway speeds with an open visor. Wear sunglasses like Finger Prince said or get a dirt helmet and wear goggles

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My left eye has whatever the opposite of dry eye is. The slightest breeze makes it water like crazy. If it's cold out even the airflow inside my helmet will do it. It's cool to pull up somewhere and take my helmet off and start wiping my tears away like I've been crying the whole ride

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The inside of my chinbar has a permanently salty patch on it because I have the same thing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The inside of my chinbar has a permanently salty patch on it because I have the same thing

Just gonna quote this without context.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dog Case posted:

My left eye has whatever the opposite of dry eye is. The slightest breeze makes it water like crazy. If it's cold out even the airflow inside my helmet will do it. It's cool to pull up somewhere and take my helmet off and start wiping my tears away like I've been crying the whole ride

I'm sorry, it just, *sniff* I LOVE MOTORCYCLING SO MUCH! :cry:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Speaking of poo poo hitting your eye, it's officially bug season in the so cal canyons, I took so many bugs to the face yesterday. I was also trying to grab gopro footage of my friend's first time up a canyon road, but of course a bug splattered on the gopro lens at pretty much the very beginning of the ride.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's my least favorite part of bieks. I would rather ride in the rain than have a million bugs in my vision two seconds after cleaning my visor. I cannot afford how many ripoffs I would neeed to solve this problem.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coydog posted:

That's my least favorite part of bieks. I would rather ride in the rain than have a million bugs in my vision two seconds after cleaning my visor. I cannot afford how many ripoffs I would neeed to solve this problem.

I want to get a tear-off windshield for my car like I saw they were using at the 24H of Nurburgring.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Trying to sell some parts and poo poo I have sitting around, neighbor rides up on his Harley and offers me a trade of two Microtech OTF knives for something. He was riding into town to go to a salvage auction. How do I simultaneously live too much and not enough in the middle of nowhere?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
More PO fuckery.

Yeah, kicking myself for not testing the horn, but I've only tried to use it like 3 times in the month I've had the bike. Finally got around to actually error search.

With the extra aftermarket plastic panels on the side of the radiator you need to relocate the horn. or as a PO did, just remove it.. I've noticed that connector, but not put 2 and 2 together.

You just need to extend the wire a little and there is plenty of space a little below the radiator. and a nice bolt for a radiator hose you can utilize.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i think i've tried to use the tuono's horn... once. and i couldn't hear it over the engine's idle.

now it's broken and i dont care

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Razzled posted:

i think i've tried to use the tuono's horn... once. and i couldn't hear it over the engine's idle.

now it's broken and i dont care

I think most horns have a little set screw in them, so you can adjust the volume. Mine rattles itself too tight a lot of the time and has to be reset periodically.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Supradog posted:

You just need to extend the wire a little and there is plenty of space a little below the radiator. and a nice bolt for a radiator hose you can utilize.

This is a golden opportunity to get a small train horn set up on your rear rack or at least get something with some oomph.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Had a collision with this poor guy...

Not gross but it is a dead animal :saddowns:

Felt so bad I set up the birdbath in the backyard this evening.

I'm sure everyone here is already in full face helmets, but seriously, imagine this hitting your head.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Virgil Vox posted:

I'm sure everyone here is already in full face helmets, but seriously, imagine this hitting your head.

http://i.imgur.com/kWlu4Ks.gifv

It's live or die on the streets

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

A friend of mine used to have a 125cc Vino that he installed some ridiculous aftermarket horn on. It was hilarious riding with him and watching people's reaction to this cute tiny scooter blast a horn that sounded like an 18 wheeler's.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jazzzzz posted:

http://i.imgur.com/kWlu4Ks.gifv

It's live or die on the streets

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bugkkake

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Does anyone have a nice article to link on why you shouldn't get a high powered motorcycle for your first bike that explains the concept well? I know its common knowledge for us but want to share with someone and from my googling most articles seems to pussy foot around the subject to avoid pissing people off.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coredump posted:

Does anyone have a nice article to link on why you shouldn't get a high powered motorcycle for your first bike that explains the concept well? I know its common knowledge for us but want to share with someone and from my googling most articles seems to pussy foot around the subject to avoid pissing people off.

I got you, fam.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coredump posted:

feel free to copy my stuff from the OP of the newbie thread

e: the third post i guess

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BglzNAML78M

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

^ The EX250 review has some good points as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsX2rIZory0

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

If they want a supersport to go fast, show them this video and explain that a good rider on a “bad” bike will always be ten thousand times faster than a bad rider on a good bike. It’s much easier to get good on a smaller and lighter bike first.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I frequently store my phone in the clear top part of my tank bag so I can see GPS instructions if needed, coming home from a long ride this weekend I decided to charge my phone at the same time with my battery pack, so I had a cable running from the main part of the tank bag to the phone in the top pocket. Apparently I didn't seal the top pocket enough because I felt my phone bounce off my leg as I was lane splitting on the 405 in horrible traffic. It was a Pixel 2 that I've only had for 6 months, just for that extra kick in the balls. I thought about going back for it but decided it was probably dead by that point, but when I get home I did use the google find my phone feature and it knew right where it had fallen off my bike. It may have been ok still, maybe it just knew the last known location, either way it probably wasn't worth risking getting hit by a car to go grab it, but maybe.

Of course I just got back from two weeks in Tahiti and all my vacation pics were on it, and not backed up to the cloud or copied to my computer.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

That blows, man...

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Ugh, that sucks; I hear it's a magical place.

Did you end up going back to look for it? Maybe at some weird-rear end time like 2 a.m.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've had really good luck with RAM mounts in the bimmer for my phone and all my radio poo poo, I think i'm going to just stay on that system and buy some bike mounts. Not weatherproof, but should be fine for sunny day riding at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Even if the screen exploded, the memory is probably fine! If it's ever quiet on that stretch I'd at least take a cursory look (only if there's like a hard shoulder or somewhere halfway safe to stop of course)